THE BROWNS BOARD

Playoffs

syd

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

Just beat the Texans first Browns. That puts our odds at 99%, Beating the Jets TNF it's 100%- and we're in. 

After we lost to the Rams I said that we'd need to win the next 4 games and not have to go into Cincinnati the final week and have to win.  We're half way there!

8 hours ago, Orion said:

After we lost to the Rams I said that we'd need to win the next 4 games and not have to go into Cincinnati the final week and have to win.  We're half way there!

Poor Bill Callahan has his hardest work of the season the week of Xmas with the possibility of only having 1 starter on the offensive line available.  Insult to injuries, this is also a week the Browns have to go on the road. The good news is this is just 1 knucklehead's take.

Last Sunday, I saw a big drop in Dunn's performance after seeing him play extremely well vrs SF filling in for Bitonio. I'm guessing that even though he's back with us off IR - he's still not healthy enough to be his usual reliable fill-in.  Nick Harris weighs closer to 290 than 300 and it looked like he got bullied and rag-dolled way more than my confidence in him expected.  I think he also got dinged up on top of all that.  Lucky for him, he's a pretty good FB.  Like always, there's options and chances of a starter returning to action like Pocic at Center or Bitonio at Guard or both.  We could also consider playing Ohio State Rookie Center Luke Wypler at Center or Guard if need be.  I think he played and practiced at both in the preseason.  Syd mentioned Alex Leatherwood as an option so that's an alternative to my idea at Guard. Of course, there's always the possibility that Dunn can play more like the guy we've seen in the past than last week. The blessing in all of this is we have Bill Callahan in charge of the line whether it's healthy or looking like we got it at a garage sale.

Back in the day, I played next to a Tackle that was an animal with the brains of a pet rock.  One day he caught me completely off guard during a game with this "If they ain't cryin we ain't tryin.  Guess what?  They're cryin!"  I didn't have the heart to ask him - are you sure that wasn't me?   He wouldn't have known I was only kidding and who says I was really kidding? 😁

• Like 1

Don't want to be a downer after such a big win, but the running game still wasn't there. Hasn't been there for weeks. O-line just barely holding up long enough for Flacco and Coop to make magic happen. 

What do we think the chances a quality lineman is cut between now and then, and we pick him up? Or two! 

On 12/21/2023 at 6:15 AM, Orion said:

I said we would unexpectedly lose to the jets and then win 5 in a row, which I’m ok with 

19 minutes ago, bbedward said:

I said we would unexpectedly lose to the jets and then win 5 in a row, which I’m ok with 

The key to beating the Jets will be stopping Hall on those short passes out of the backfield. Half his 191 yds yesterday came from receptions.

3 hours ago, Korsou Dawg said:

Don't want to be a downer after such a big win, but the running game still wasn't there. Hasn't been there for weeks. O-line just barely holding up long enough for Flacco and Coop to make magic happen. 

What do we think the chances a quality lineman is cut between now and then, and we pick him up? Or two! 

I'm not sure how much longer Bitonio will be out. Maybe they are cautious and rest him vs the NYJ? 

Yes, we're all concerned about the rushing game. Thank goodness for Bill Callahan, in spite of the deficiencies due to injuries they're moving the football. 

Unbelievable credit has to be given to the coaching staff, & ultimately the players who have busted their butts. Amazing season so far, keep it going Browns.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Flugel said:

If the Browns end up with the best wildcard record, their 1st round opponent would be the winner of the AFC South. That's pretty fricken cool!

Before I invest in that fully, the Browns HAVE to beat the Jets.  

I believe a W is all they need to clinch #5, with a win wee play for nothing in bengals week unless Miami upsets Baltimore 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Hurts to think of what this team could have been if there was even reasonable health. 

The AFC would have run through CLE and you'd likely have locked up a #1 seed with home field.  

Yeah and maybe a better approach to personnel? Anyway here's the latest playoff clickbait

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/local-news/cleveland-browns-playoff-chances-increase-to-99-according-to-new-york-times

5 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Yeah and maybe a better approach to personnel? Anyway here's the latest playoff clickbait

https://www.news5cleveland.co

m/news/local-news/cleveland-browns-playoff-chances-increase-to-99-according-to-new-york-times

99% huh?? Cue up Lucy time for the Charlie Browns.😁

• Haha 1

I think the dolphins/ravens will be quite a good game, better than the 9ers disaster.

But I do think the ravens win that one, if not then the Steelers always screw with the ravens so that scenario is possible.

Either way I have basically 0 confidence in the things falling in our favor to win the AFCN.  Would love it, but I just can’t see the ravens losing out at this point. I just would want them to lose to the dolphins so they have to play starters in week 18

Inform us before we travel to Natty  😉

Here are the three paths for Cleveland in the last two weeks:

Top Seed, Bye Week

2nd Seed, Host a Wild Card Game

• The Baltimore Ravens lose to the Miami Dolphins this week, Pittsburgh Steelers next week (Stays the same)
  • The Miami Dolphins beat the Ravens this week and the Buffalo Bills next week (Changed)
  • The Browns beat the Cincinnati Bengals in Week 18 (Stays the same)

5th Seed, Travel for Wild Card Game

• Every other scenario including a Cleveland loss in Week 18

Realistic expectations are that the Browns will be traveling to play the 4th seed (the worst division champion) in the Wild Card round but

there are realistic paths to there being a playoff home game in Cleveland this season.

On 12/27/2023 at 5:23 PM, tiamat63 said:

As fun as a story it has been, I'd rather a healthy starting lineup than a 38 year old Flacco.

....I currently don't want to change a thing.  Just get some of the guys back for the playoff game.

I like a QB like Flacco.  A tall drink of water with a big arm.  A great Play Action Play Faker.  He drops back into the pocket and wants nothing more than to stay there and deliver the ball to a receiver.  This is just what a pass protecting offensive lineman would like.  They know where Flacco will be.  And Flacco is mobile enough to get out of a collapsing pocket...and while running with the ball, is looking to throw it and NOT have to run.   On top of all of that, he takes the top off of the defense.  He'll throw the thing long.  If he looks around and nobody's open, he's not beyond throwing it out past the longest route and see if the receiver makes a great play or a flag gets thrown.  He's 38 years football smart old, too.  

• Upvote 1

The Browns seem to have the knack for getting your hopes up and pulling the rug from underneath you.

I'm not going to let that happen to me this time.  I just look at the situation for what it is, a banged up Browns squad with a 38 year old qb that are winning games, eventually they will run out of gas.

I'm already happy (thrilled) with how the season turned out so far. I think the culture has finally changed, the Browns have themselves an identity. That's the most important thing. ANYTHING good that happens from this point on is a bonus. I'm hoping they don't run out of gas until they are the only ones left standing. But I'm not going to set myself up for letdown.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Neo said:

The Browns seem to have the knack for getting your hopes up and pulling the rug from underneath you.

I'm not going to let that happen to me this time.  I just look at the situation for what it is, a banged up Browns squad with a 38 year old qb that are winning games, eventually they will run out of gas.

I'm already happy (thrilled) with how the season turned out so far. I think the culture has finally changed, the Browns have themselves an identity. That's the most important thing. ANYTHING good that happens from this point on is a bonus. I'm hoping they don't run out of gas until they are the only ones left standing. But I'm not going to set myself up for letdown.

Oh the first time the Browns take a lead in their first playoff game I can see you now. 😱😁 

11 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Inform us before we travel to Natty  😉

Here are the three paths for Cleveland in the last two weeks:

Top Seed, Bye Week

2nd Seed, Host a Wild Card Game

• The Baltimore Ravens lose to the Miami Dolphins this week, Pittsburgh Steelers next week (Stays the same)
  • The Miami Dolphins beat the Ravens this week and the Buffalo Bills next week (Changed)
  • The Browns beat the Cincinnati Bengals in Week 18 (Stays the same)

5th Seed, Travel for Wild Card Game

• Every other scenario including a Cleveland loss in Week 18

Realistic expectations are that the Browns will be traveling to play the 4th seed (the worst division champion) in the Wild Card round but

there are realistic paths to there being a playoff home game in Cleveland this season.

Browns 47

Indianhapless 19

When your team takes care of locking up a Playoff spot on Thursday Night 🏈 & can relax New Years Weekend...

W🦴ooF !   W🦴ooF !   

It's a Good Morning  feeling   🧡

Well, for all the bitching about a late season TNF game, it really came at a great time to have a mini-bye to (hopefully) get some of the wounded back in the game with the extra days off.  

For the Bengals, Cooper should be available. He even tried running routes before the Jets game, and felt he wasn't 100%.  Let's hope Moore's concussion isn't too serious- I read that he had a seizure from that faceplant, and spent the night in the hospital . Stef says he's home and doing ok.  Walker might need to wait until the playoffs after that 'scope on his knee. Hopefully same goes for Delpit after that groin injury. Still waiting for the elusive Thornhill to finally get healthy too.  

Sounds like Bojorquez may be healthy enough to play against the Bengals, BTW, besides punting he's also the holder on field goal tries. Which brings us to Dustin Hopkins- who's way more iffy for the Bengals game (the hamstring pull is on his plant leg, not kicking leg)... If not, at least Riley Patterson looks average in the mean time.  

42 minutes ago, hoorta said:

For the Bengals, Cooper should be available

If the Bengals game is inconsequential, then we take Dutch's advice...bubble wrap the players and forfeit the game (figuratively).  PJ Walker gets to play.  John Kelly, Austin Watkins Jr., ....  all of those type guys can play that game.    

hopefully we will have these players back for the playoffs

• P Corey Bojorquez - Quad - Doubtful
  • WR Amari Cooper - Rest, Heel - Questionable
  • K Dustin Hopkins - Hamstring - Out
  • DE Ogbo Okoronkwo - Pectoral - Out
  •  S Grant Delphit
  • LB Anthony Walker - Out
  • Like 1