THE BROWNS BOARD

Deshaun Watson gone for the year

syd

Fracture supposedly happened first half. Which means Watson went into the lock room halftime, likely got shot up, and then also dealt with the ankle middle of the 3rd qtr as well. 

I can't question his toughness at this point.  Dude was all smiles after the game, running on adrenaline.  

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Fracture supposedly happened first half. Which means Watson went into the lock room halftime, likely got shot up, and then also dealt with the ankle middle of the 3rd qtr as well. 

I can't question his toughness at this point.  Dude was all smiles after the game, running on adrenaline.  

But, but, but he got his money and doesn’t wanna play anymore.

One of the reports yesterday was that he got 3 opinions to see if there was anyway he could play through the season without getting surgery. But all the doctors said that the risk was too high.

Just horrible luck for him and the team, at least we got to see him stomp Baltimore with a broken shoulder.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Yeah and 14/14 speaks volumes in itself under those conditions. And for the Negative Nancy Naysayers:

15 hours ago, Ghoolie Always Ghoolie said:

No cigar. You are even contradicting yourself. If the previous condition, as you say, made Watson more likely to get a worse injury, why the fuck was the 230 million dollar man allowed to play?

Having a strained weakened joint or was it a hit?

Let me give you the official diagnosis. It is called BULLSHIT. My best friend is an accomplished orthopedic surgeon..He calls this bullshit.

But Tom....  He had a MRI when he screwed up his shoulder the first time. Do you want to believe they 

1) Either missed the fracture, (damn unlikely) or

2) Told him go out there and play with a displaced glenoid fracture?

Nope, I say new injury..  :(    

4 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Exactly. Even if he was released, he still has to clear waivers, and somebody in the playoff race would pick him up so we couldn't get him. 

Not so Jiggins... I had to double check.  waivers only apply to players with less than 4 years in the league. 

Tannehill has 11 years in the league which makes him a vested veteran... The rules are different.  :)   

Players with at least four accrued NFL seasons of service time are released. They're vested veterans. When a player gets released, it's the end of his contract. He becomes free to sign with any other team.

Yeah, those dreaming of getting Tom Brady... He's not currently under contract, just like Foles and Flacco.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Not so Jiggins... I had to double check.  waivers only apply to players with less than 4 years in the league. 

Tannehill has 11 years in the league which makes him a vested veteran... The rules are different.  :)   

Players with at least four accrued NFL seasons of service time are released. They're vested veterans. When a player gets released, it's the end of his contract. He becomes free to sign with any other team

After the trade deadline, they all go to waivers regardless iirc

10 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Hate to tell you, nope... Do your research if you don't believe me.  :)  

Well, according to NFL 

Once the waiver period starts each year through the trading deadline, a vested veteran — a player who has acquired four years of pension credit — is not subject to the waiver system if the club decides to release him. That means if a team decides to release a vested veteran, the league considers his contract to be terminated immediately and he is free to negotiate and sign with any other club. From the trading deadline through the end of the regular season, vested veterans are subject to the waiver process.

--

Though, the murmurs about Ryan Tannehill demanding release seem to just be rumors still. So may be moot, I don't know that any team would be willing to pick his contract up off waivers just to spite the browns. In the AFC I'd think maybe colts or jets.  

3 minutes ago, bbedward said:

Well, according to NFL 

Once the waiver period starts each year through the trading deadline, a vested veteran — a player who has acquired four years of pension credit — is not subject to the waiver system if the club decides to release him. That means if a team decides to release a vested veteran, the league considers his contract to be terminated immediately and he is free to negotiate and sign with any other club. From the trading deadline through the end of the regular season, vested veterans are subject to the waiver process.

Well, I suppose so bb....  But in reality, Tannehill isn't going to get released.   That little detail pre and post trading deadline.  My bad.  :)  

8 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Well, I suppose so bb....  But in reality, Tannehill isn't going to get released.   That little detail pre and post trading deadline.  My bad.  :)  

Yea the rumor of him demanding a release started from a fake twitter account, so probably not happening. If it does, the Jets would get him off waivers over us most likely. Especially if they manage to beat the bills.

7 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

I can't question his

...level of stupidity.  He continued to run and take on tacklers.  It wasn't until later that I saw him slide for the first time in memory.  And he slid a yard short of the 1st down.  Can we get a retired baseball coach in here to teach our QB's how to slide?  And Stef always says something like, That's how DeShaun plays the game.  Fuck That!  You're the coach!  Tell him you'll fine his ass if he doesn't slide.  You CANNOT have your QB getting hurt and out for the season for doing avoidable stuff.  Now you're screwed Stef!

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Orion said:

...level of stupidity.  He continued to run and take on tacklers.  It wasn't until later that I saw him slide for the first time in memory.  And he slid a yard short of the 1st down.  Can we get a retired baseball coach in here to teach our QB's how to slide?  And Stef always says something like, That's how DeShaun plays the game.  Fuck That!  You're the coach!  Tell him you'll fine his ass if he doesn't slide.  You CANNOT have your QB getting hurt and out for the season for doing avoidable stuff.  Now you're screwed Stef!

Watson started 47 of 48 games for Houston between 2018-2020.

Would you be happier if we had some statue who never runs and sits in the pocket?

You know, like Bernie Kosar, who never had to worry about sliding because homeboy couldn't run a 40 under five days? The same guy whose career was effectively over by the time he was 30? 

30 minutes ago, Orion said:

Meh.  I'm calling it a difficult learning lesson, but a QB who is also feeling the pressure to deliver as well.   You're trying to will your team to a win that might catapult you in a place to earn a playoff spot.   It's just not thinking beyond the moment and going to hard for that play.  

• Like 1

I keep seeing Tom Brady's name being circulated in connection with the Browns and I just want to know who actually thinks he would consider coming here? Or that it would be a good idea? He said before that he was retired for good and is probably no where near football shape. Why would he come out of retirement to take a beating behind our patchwork line?

17 minutes ago, Neo said:

I keep seeing Tom Brady's name being circulated in connection with the Browns and I just want to know who actually thinks he would consider coming here? Or that it would be a good idea? He said before that he was retired for good and is probably no where near football shape. Why would he come out of retirement to take a beating behind our patchwork line?

Not only that, but how much cap space is left to sign a veteran QB or someone of Brady's caliber?

2 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Not only that, but how much cap space is left to sign a veteran QB or someone of Brady's caliber?

Browns have a lot more than people think, like $30M. Because they restructured a bunch of contracts.

But I’m pretty sure Brady’s living in a mansion on a Florida island and money is not the obstacle with bringing him out of retirement. The whole brady idea was a meme that people took seriously

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, BernieSuperBowl2 said:

RG3 must be smoking some really good weed in retirement.

"Run it back" - RG3 was 1-4 with the Browns, so what exactly are we running back, more shitty quarterback play by him?

I believe I had a breakdown of a HUGE miss by him against the Eagles.  Mills concept?  Safety bit on the cheese and the post was WIDE TF open...   he didn't take it and threw short.     In the passing game he's chocolate Brady Quinn at best.

RG3 seems like a nice dude, but his eyes suck.  

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

I’m not even joking, and I rarely go out on a limb like that. But I would absolutely be at least humoring Tom Brady right now. It absolutely is worth a phone call. 

The cashier I saw at Walgreens today said his uncle’s co-worker’s wife is a realtor who said Tom Brady is shopping for a house in strongsville

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, bbedward said:

The cashier I saw at Walgreens today said his uncle’s co-worker’s wife is a realtor who said Tom Brady is shopping for a house in strongsville

On top of that, my wife’s boyfriend just saw Brady’s plane landed in Cleveland- coincidence?

But like for real, I’m never one of those zany fans. But it’s absolutely worth a phone call. If there’s one crazy bastard who might just do it, it’s him. Is it extremely, extremely unlikely? Of course.

8 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

On top of that, my wife’s boyfriend just saw Brady’s plane landed in Cleveland- coincidence?

But like for real, I’m never one of those zany fans. But it’s absolutely worth a phone call. If there’s one crazy bastard who might just do it, it’s him. Is it extremely, extremely unlikely? Of course.

Of course, they should call all the long shot options. Not like they have anything to lose.

I recall seeing Brady being asked about joining the jets when Rodger’s went down and had no interest, but the browns are a much more talented team. (And well, there’s not as many games left)

4 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Would you be happier if we had some statue who never runs and sits in the pocket?

I want my QB to SLIDE Dutch.  To SLIDE.  

He's not some 5th round draft pick.  He cost us 3 #1 draft picks plus other picks.  And a quarter of a billion dollars.  And that's just for HIM.  Him being out costs the whole team!  It diminishes the value and ability of the whole team GREATLY.  The NFL is a QB driven league.  As good as Myles Garrett is, he can't throw TD passes....which makes him far less valuable than the QB.

This isn't baseball where you can still get by without your #1 pitcher, or your cleanup hitter.  Football is different.  

I'm not saying that he can't run.  That's an important and necessary part of the QB position.  But purposely taking hits is dumb and bad for business.  More than any other position in any team sport, the QB must stay healthy enough to play the game or the team is orders of magnitude less effective.  

2 hours ago, bbedward said:

Well I hope that is TRUE !  Maybe some good luck comes Cleveland   BROWNS way.   GO BROWNS !

6 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

it’s absolutely worth a phone call.

Brady's done. Let's just say for arguments sake he has an interest in joining the team, is he in shape or is he in that "I'm retired" mindset and let himself go? And unless his favorite security blanket comes out retirement also, I don't think it will end well for him here. His last season in Tampa was mediocre and I think he missed Gronkowski. 

I remember someone calling the off season the "silly" season. Seems like some Browns fans are already in the silly season. Why not call Brett Favre while we're at it.

Edit

Or you can really piss off a whole bunch of people and call Ben Roethlisberger to see if he's available. 😂

30 minutes ago, Neo said:

Brady's done. Let's just say for arguments sake he has an interest in joining the team, is he in shape or is he in that "I'm retired" mindset and let himself go? And unless his favorite security blanket comes out retirement also, I don't think it will end well for him here. His last season in Tampa was mediocre and I think he missed Gronkowski. 

I remember someone calling the off season the "silly" season. Seems like some Browns fans are already in the silly season. Why not call Brett Favre while we're at it.

Edit

Or you can really piss off a whole bunch of people and call Ben Roethlisberger to see if he's available. 😂

If there’s one person in the history of the game of football who I’d bet is a) in great physical shape and b) would absolutely not be in the “retired” mindset it’s Brady. I wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest if that dude is still throwing footballs daily just for the sport of it. 

Again, I’m not silly. I get the odds are astronomically low. But if there’s one dude in the history of this game who would be a crazy enough bastard to say yes it’d be him. 

On 11/15/2023 at 9:56 PM, Ghoolie Always Ghoolie said:

No cigar. You are even contradicting yourself. If the previous condition, as you say, made Watson more likely to get a worse injury, why the fuck was the 230 million dollar man allowed to play?

Having a strained weakened joint or was it a hit?

Let me give you the official diagnosis. It is called BULLSHIT. My best friend is an accomplished orthopedic surgeon..He calls this bullshit.

I suppose it is possible some hairline fracture started to form.  If so, ask your friend if it is easy to not detect such a fracture.  Also, is it possible the bone wasn't even showing signs of a fracture but could somehow be weakened just the point it could fracture but hadn't?

• Upvote 1