THE BROWNS BOARD

Mock Drafts & Draft Prospects

gumby73

18 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Alright boys... I picked up a trusty Lindy's Draft Guide this morning at the local grocery store, so let me throw out a mock draft. I channeled my inner Andrew Berry and traded down from the 2nd round pick to the 3rd round, picking up a 4th for my troubles.

3rd Round: DT Ruke Orhorhoro, Clemson. 6'4", 290lbs. Very good pass rusher from inside, needs polish vs run game. 

3rd Round: Safety Cole Bishop, Utah. 6'2", 209lbs. Rangy safety better vs pass than run.

4th Round: TE Cade Stover, Ohio State. 6'4", 251lbs. Solid as a receiver and a blocker.

5th Round: OG Sataoa Laumea, Utah. 6'4", 311lbs. Experienced, 44 college starts. Speed over power. 

6th Round: OT Julian Pearl, Illinois. 6'6", 315lbs. Very good athlete, but raw.

7th Round: ILB Nathaniel Watson, Mississippi State. 6'2", 247lbs. Stout vs the run, limited athlete. 

Sometimes a mock draft kind of falls into your lap, where need meets value, but this one took a while to flesh out. Still, I feel like I addressed needs with decent players. 

Nice work!  The guys in bold above from rounds 3-5 nail some big needs as do your last 2 guys.  You may get some feedback from guys wanting a LBer 1st - but we'll have to wait and see who is available at pick #54.  

8 hours ago, Flugel said:

Nice work!  The guys in bold above from rounds 3-5 nail some big needs as do your last 2 guys.  You may get some feedback from guys wanting a LBer 1st - but we'll have to wait and see who is available at pick #54.  

I wanted the kid from The Cheaters Up North, but Colson was predicted to be a 2nd round pick, and that went out the window when I traded down. Almost took Ohio State's Tommy Eichenberg, but I wanted Cade Stover more and didn't want to get all OSU homer on my mock... then I realized that somehow I mocked us getting two Utah Utes.

TWO UTES! 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I wanted the kid from The Cheaters Up North, but Colson was predicted to be a 2nd round pick, and that went out the window when I traded down. Almost took Ohio State's Tommy Eichenberg, but I wanted Cade Stover more and didn't want to get all OSU homer on my mock... then I realized that somehow I mocked us getting two Utah Utes.

TWO UTES! 

Mr Gambini gives that a 2 thumbs up.  As for the exchange value on the trade I'll rate it right up there with this exchange from a movie:  Dr. Julian Mercer:  Look who's answering the door.  Harry Sanborn:  And look who's at the door.

• Like 1

@gumby73 it's your thread, so I have to ask, is there where you'd like pre-draft assessments given?  I really don't have time to create or manage my own thread.   So I'll pop in specifically for only the position groups and players I'm looking at (LB, IDL, IOL) 

to my point about Sweat - the Browns pick 54th, so.... I don't believe the Browns could muster up enough to trade high enough, even if Sweat falls a ways.

https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/news/2024-nfl-mock-draft-caleb-williams-chicago-bears-jj-mccarthy-denver-broncos-4-rounds

35. Arizona Cardinals

T'Vondre Sweat | DL | Texas

3 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

@gumby73 it's your thread, so I have to ask, is there(this) where you'd like pre-draft assessments given?

Tia, that would be outstanding ! Most football junkie's here, enjoy your qualified/background of the game and position group assessments . 

I really don't have time to create or manage my own thread. 

At your leisure, working 11 hours days myself. My limited 2 hours of time on here looks for ball talk. pass on BS   

So I'll pop in specifically for only the position groups and players I'm looking at (LB, IDL, IOL) 

Easy topic edit change. ^ ^

Mock Drafts & Draft Prospects... is now open to any BB member. 1k views.. bring'em     

• gumby73 changed the title to Mock Drafts & Draft Prospects
On 3/12/2024 at 7:51 PM, gumby73 said:

Easy topic edit change. ^ ^

Mock Drafts & Draft Prospects... is now open to any BB member. 1k views.. bring'em     

I just had a Telepathic Interception on its way to a Pick 6 so this is The Calfox 20/20 Mock draft:

Remember: Wide Receivers are the priority in a passing era!

2nd Round: Malachi Corley, WR Western Kentucky - Trust me - he's a great one!  The 9 year old girl next-door told me I needed to watch him.  I did more than that.  I watched him play an entire quarter of football in 2023.  Just 1 look is all it tooksies... 

3rd Round: Michael Pratt, QB Tulane - 1st - he's white just like Flacco. 2nd - I haven't been this sure about a QB coming out of nowhere since I assured everyone Charlie Frye winning Senior Bowl MVP was no fluke - and he was ready to change everything in Cleveland.  Furthermore, I was right and everyone was wrong when I assured them Josh Allen was going to be way better than Baker Mayfield. There's at least 500 posts you can go back and archive from me about that...

5th Round: Malik Washington, WR Virginia - He's not that tall at 5-8 but he weighs 194lbs. That's a lot of muscle all twitched up to be tapped. The hear-say gitchy, gitchy-goo about this kid is off the charts.

6th Round: Jha'Quan Jackson, WR Tulane - The name kind of makes him sound like we'd be sharing him with a gang - I wish he was white.  That said - it's all about winning; which is exactly what he and the QB Michael Pratt (above) did together at Tulane.  Getting both of these guys = instant chemistry.  

7th Round: Drake Stoops, WR Oklahoma - Um, he's Bob Stoops' kid so even Tiamsies will agree with me on this one. Not only that, he's white like Brian Brennan and Gary Collins.  We need some guys with brain cells on speaking terms out there.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Flugel said:

3rd Round: Michael Pratt, QB Tulane - 1st - he's white just like Flacco. 

Cal prefers the nomenclature "Non-running QB". 

Thanks in advance.

• Haha 1

Alright @Flugel (or anyone else who would like to participate)...

Your assignment is to come up with your five favorite (and realistic) choices for the Browns second round pick. Take your draft guide and get crack-a-lackin' on it. I'll do the same. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Your assignment is to come up with your five favorite (and realistic) choices for the Browns second round pick..

5 ain't easy :)

2nd round
DL | Texas

May take a small trade up..^^

LB | Texas A&M  might be gone too <<< enter 
LB | Michigan

3rd round

I'm out of reactions right now, (that Winston thread is the gift that keeps on giving) but good job gumby! 

But with Sweat, do the Browns really need another massive IDL, since they took Ika last draft? 

3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Alright @Flugel (or anyone else who would like to participate)...

Your assignment is to come up with your five favorite (and realistic) choices for the Browns second round pick. Take your draft guide and get crack-a-lackin' on it. I'll do the same. 

Great idea Dutch!  Before I start - make sure we keep in mind this is pick #54 (meaning it's only 10 picks away from round 3 so guys like Sweat, Harrison, Trotter, etc are out of reach):

In random order:

Troy Franklin, WR Oregon 6-3 187lbs  - 81 rec 1383 yards 14 TDs in 2023 and 61 rec 891 yards 9 TDs in 2022

Brandon Dorlus, DT/DE Oregon 6-3 290lbs  - Can play inside or outside like a Poor Man's Richard Seymore and productive at both.

Cooper Beebe, OIL Kansas state 6-4 335lbs - Ferocious 4 year starter with great technique and polished fundamentals.  Experience at Guard and Tackle on both sides.  Only in the football sense - he warms my groins...

Tyler Nubin, S Minnesota 6-2 210lbs - 4 year starter. Can play free safety or strong safety. The last 3 of his 4 years starting he ranged from 52-55 tackles. GREAT open-field tackler with 9 INTs 7 PBUs in the last 2 years and I love his frame almost as much as his football IQ. If gone, Calen Bullock, 6-3 USC 190lbs - 63 tackles 2 INTs 7 PBU in 2023 and 48 tackles 5 INTs 5 PBU

Payton Wilson LB NC State 6-4 238lbs  Great instincts, deceptive speed, good pass defender, great combine workout, 138 tackles and 6 INTs in 2023.  Biggest concern is he's had some serious injuries in the past but not recent.

Edited by Flugel
Corrected Bullock's height from 6-2 to 6-3

19 minutes ago, gumby73 said:
5 ain't easy :)

2nd round
DL | Texas

May take a small trade up..^^

LB | Texas A&M  might be gone too <<< enter 
LB | Michigan

3rd round

Nice job Gumbs!  I'd LOVE Sweat at 54 but I feel like that would count on a lot of teams in front of us to be sound asleep at the wheel. Like your thinking on Nubin - I was doing mine while you did yours.  

I mentioned 1-2 weeks ago somewhere I wouldn't be surprised if we drafted RB Braelon Allen (or someone equivalent) in this draft since Chubb's work load will probably be restricted.

• Thanks 1

Nice list of prospects Flugel... I waited until I did mine before really looking at your and gumby's list, didn't want to get influenced. We have different players but exactly the same positions picked 🤣

I ended up with six guys, could have had damn near twice that. 

• Thanks 1

WR Adonai Mitchell, Texas. 6'3, 196. Lightening quick off snap, giving the Browns WR unit more needed speed.

TE Cade Stover, Ohio State. 6'4, 251. Possibly the most well-rounded TE in this class.

C/OG Jackson Powers-Johnson, Oregon. 6'3, 320. Bulldozer in run game. Can play center or guard, giving Browns flexibility in two positions they will need an eventual starter.

DT Maason Smith, LSU. 6'6, 315. Top run stopper in DT class, has potential as pass rusher too. 

LB Junior Colson, TCUN. 6'3, 247.  Probably my favorite 2nd round prospect, honestly. Great run defender perfect complement to JOK.

S Kamren Kinchens, Miami. 5'11, 205. Thumper AND ballhawk. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

But with Sweat, do the Browns really need another massive IDL, since they took Ika last draft? 

Jim Schwartz knows more about Ika's game translating into the nfl, than we've seen of Ika. Ika's his only competition in the 330 lb. DT weight class on the roster. They chose to bring in 3 tech's Jefferson, w/returning Harris & Hurst.

Tomlinson/ Sweat/ Jefferson/ Hurst .. 👀    camp battle Harris vs Ika for 5th DT ?  

10 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Nice job Gumbs!  I'd LOVE Sweat at 54 but I feel like that would count on a lot of teams in front of us to be sound asleep at the wheel. Like your thinking on Nubin - I was doing mine while you did yours.  

They still haven't addressed the need at Safety after Thornhill & Delpit. 3 likes they haven't brought back

MCLEOD JR., RODNEY UFA

he wasn't bad before injury

HARMON, DURON UFA

Adams, Matthew UFA

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

WR Adonai Mitchell, Texas. 6'3, 196. Lightening quick off snap, giving the Browns WR unit more needed speed.

C/OG Jackson Powers-Johnson, Oregon. 6'3, 320. Bulldozer in run game. Can play center or guard, giving Browns flexibility in two positions they will need an eventual starter.

Hold up now ! Where does your drafting mag have these 2 rated?  near rating #54 still?

TE Cade Stover, Ohio State. 6'4, 251. Possibly the most well-rounded TE in this class.

Ok Bru'tus the Buckeye homer ! ;)     Been sitting in my OSU man-cave where the grey carpet has the Buckeye red/white stripe running down the middle of it.. Berry is going to piss both of off because?

TE Cade Stover will be age 24.5 when drafted, meaning Berry won't draft him :P  (but we share the same thinking on Stover)

damn, i got to cut the grass already !  🙄  Round 1 !  

I don't see the Brownies taking another "larger" shade in that Ika mold...  at least, not early.    You've got 5 IDL on roster right now with Dalvin, Ika, Shelby, Mo and Jefferson.    I could see a late round flyer on IDL, and I can see Dalvin going back to playing more 1tech because he was spotty at times playing that 3.     But that isn't including the subpackage snaps given to Alex Wright when he plays some interior on passing downs as well.   

You can't rule out anything, but at this rate it really narrows down the field to OL, LB and DB for 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks.   If anything, perhaps I'm overlooking edge a bit too much.   Outside of Myles, you've got ZDS who is going to be on a pitch count early, you've got McGuire who will get more minutes, Wright is Wright, and then you've got a DPR with Obgo.  

So that's 4 position groups that need to be addressed.   Priority is depending on how the front office feels.   If Hicks is looked at as a good plug n play, then I could see it being OL or DB, followed by edge and LB.

edit:  @TexasAg1969  You once mentioned some draft publication having Edgerrin Cooper as the 1st LB taken.  I'd like to have a word about that, because two full games in and I ain't seeing what they're saying - which is basically that he's a day 1 starter.   I see a great downhill, straight line speed and a decent motor.   But that's about it.  At what game in the season am I supposed to be impressed? Because I'd like to watch that and get a better feel.

1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

Jim Schwartz knows more about Ika's game translating into the nfl, than we've seen of Ika. Ika's his only competition in the 330 lb. DT weight class on the roster. They chose to bring in 3 tech's Jefferson, w/returning Harris & Hurst.

Tomlinson/ Sweat/ Jefferson/ Hurst .. 👀    camp battle Harris vs Ika for 5th DT ?  

They still haven't addressed the need at Safety after Thornhill & Delpit. 3 likes they haven't brought back

MCLEOD JR., RODNEY UFA

he wasn't bad before injury

HARMON, DURON UFA

Adams, Matthew UFA

That jumps out at both of us about Safety.  

9 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

DT Maason Smith, LSU. 6'6, 315. Top run stopper in DT class, has potential as pass rusher too. 

LB Junior Colson, TCUN. 6'3, 247.  Probably my favorite 2nd round prospect, honestly. Great run defender perfect complement to JOK.

S Kamren Kinchens, Miami. 5'11, 205. Thumper AND ballhawk. 

Great job on that Dutch!  I actually had Jackson Powers-Johnson because I liked the Guard Center thing.  Then I remembered how much I liked Cooper Beebe for his experience at Guard and Tackle so I changed it. He's like a Paul Farren type of value if you remember him back in the 80s. 

Kinchens is the #1 rated Safety in my draft magazine.  He has 11 INTs in the last 2 years and 59 tackles in each of those seasons. Stover is a great idea especially since we lost Harrison Bryant.  I like your top run stuffer in the DT - that may be the coolest 1st name.  Every time he stuffs a run - you can say "that's Maa son" in chorus with his dad.

This stuff is fun!

2 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Hold up now ! Where does your drafting mag have these 2 rated?  near rating #54 still?

Ok Bru'tus the Buckeye homer ! ;)     Been sitting in my OSU man-cave where the grey carpet has the Buckeye red/white stripe running down the middle of it.. Berry is going to piss both of off because?

TE Cade Stover will be age 24.5 when drafted, meaning Berry won't draft him :P  (but we share the same thinking on Stover)

damn, i got to cut the grass already !  🙄  Round 1 !  

The magazine (Lindy's) has both Mitchell and Powers-Johnson as second rounders.

But you got me on Stover, they have him as a third rounder. 🤣 But the "possibly the most well-rounded TE in this class" part made me think, you know, maybe he wouldn't be such a reach here in the second. 

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

Kinchens is the #1 rated Safety in my draft magazine.  He has 11 INTs in the last 2 years and 59 tackles in each of those seasons. Stover is a great idea especially since we lost Harrison Bryant.  I like your top run stuffer in the DT - that my be the coolest 1st name.  Every time he stuffs a run - you can say "that's Maa son" in chorus with his dad.

This stuff is fun!

Minnesota's Tyler Nubin is Lindy's #1 rated safety and has a 1st/2nd round grade. Kinchens is their #2, with a second round grade.

And yes, indeed!

4 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

edit:  @TexasAg1969  You once mentioned some draft publication having Edgerrin Cooper as the 1st LB taken.  I'd like to have a word about that, because two full games in and I ain't seeing what they're saying - which is basically that he's a day 1 starter.   I see a great downhill, straight line speed and a decent motor.   But that's about it.  At what game in the season am I supposed to be impressed? Because I'd like to watch that and get a better feel.

I think this one is a pretty fair overall look at him as a draft pick which is why I think he may still be there for round 3 if we fill a different area round 2. He's teachable and his overall combine score ranked him 1st among LBs. The thing no one seems to take into account is team leadership, something he has that I think will eventually translate well past being a rookie.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/edgerrin-cooper/3200434f-4f53-5990-fc98-570859860963

7 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

But you got me on Stover, they have him as a third rounder. 🤣 But the "possibly the most well-rounded TE in this class" part made me think, you know, maybe he wouldn't be such a reach here in the second. 

I've seen Buckeyes TE Cade Stover and Virginia WR Malik Washington being gone during the 4th round in mock drafts.

no Browns 4th round pick as of present

Our 2nd & 3rd round picks Berry can't miss on

17 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I think this one is a pretty fair overall look at him as a draft pick which is why I think he may still be there for round 3 if we fill a different area round 2. He's teachable and his overall combine score ranked him 1st among LBs. The thing no one seems to take into account is team leadership, something he has that I think will eventually translate well past being a rookie.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/edgerrin-cooper/3200434f-4f53-5990-fc98-570859860963

What boosted his combine score was his 40 time.  There was no shuttle or 3 cone. And downhill, straight line speed as a linebacker is no where near as important as being able to move, start and stop, laterally to recover or pursue.   Combine that with the slower eyes and processing....  I have concerns. 

And, from the two games I've watched so far, that lack of above average sideline to sideline really stands out. 

"Leadership" is a cliche' term.  You have to be an elite rookie, contributing immediately, to be a leader.   You have to contribute to be a leader period.    So that's a non-factor in this particular eval. 

1 minute ago, Dutch Oven said:

Look at any Junion Colson tape yet, @tiamat63

Not yet.  Weather sucks today. I'm meeting a friend of mine out for a beer, then after that I'll be relaxing all day and jumping on some LB tape.  I'll give you my initial impression later. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

What boosted his combine score was his 40 time.  There was no shuttle or 3 cone. And downhill, straight line speed as a linebacker is no where near as important as being able to move, start and stop, laterally to recover or pursue.   Combine that with the slower eyes and processing....  I have concerns. 

And, from the two games I've watched so far, that lack of above average sideline to sideline really stands out. 

"Leadership" is a cliche' term.  You have to be an elite rookie, contributing immediately, to be a leader.   You have to contribute to be a leader period.    So that's a non-factor in this particular eval. 

I think you will find the sideline to sideline you are looking for in later games in the season. That is where you will find the improvements and better stats from 2022 to 2023 seasons.  https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4430438/edgerrin-cooper

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Not yet.  Weather sucks today. I'm meeting a friend of mine out for a beer, then after that I'll be relaxing all day and jumping on some LB tape.  I'll give you my initial impression later. 

He's been my guy I hope we get with the 2nd rounder, I think he'd be a great complement to JOK.

When ya hear former gm's, praising the depth of this years class of Offensive Lineman? Our pal Tour, would've needed it's own Topic of 2024 OL prospects. 🙏

Prospect X is a term used in finding prospects that fall under the terms of "deepest draft sleeper" (think Drew Forbes, or maybe we shouldn't 😇)

Pro Bowl LG Joel Bitonio was found playing his College football in Nevada. 

This years Prospect X, maybe playing his College football as a South Dakota State Jackrabbit  🐰

.Projected 5th/6th round. Prospect rating as high as #125, but now at #134. X's PFF score is 87.6 with a RAS score of 9.97

download.jpg.d227c824ec0c4e68d9bf5ce3100cd9cb.jpg

Shrine Bowler maybe built out of the same play-doe mold of Joel Bitonio playing at Nevada :D ( Oh calm down ! ) Sit a year behind a pro bowler.   

Here's to finding more game tape of Jack 🐰   LG #60 Mason McCormick

It's not the Steelers, but 13-2 Montana played in it's Championship Game

It's a option after pick #85

• Upvote 1