THE BROWNS BOARD

Mock Drafts & Draft Prospects

gumby73

On 3/21/2024 at 7:35 PM, gumby73 said:

All the players that are pending free agents, after the 2024 season have been removed from this chart. This gives us a indication of position rooms where they have the most need to draft someone and prepare for the future.

The best teams in the NFL will draft a year in advance so they aren't relying on a rookie to be a role player, give them a year in the system to develop.

1.) Add Jerry Jeudy to WR's

2.) All other players have expiring contracts or on 1 year expiring contracts after 2024. Except listed

12341003.thumb.png.ac6dccfb369855082b44bbc8a529293f.png

3.) Key contracts would fall on Chubb/ Cooper/ Newsome/ Wills & JOK

Browns could Draft BPA in many positions 

I agree.  I think we will be drafting more for next year than this year.  Whoever we draft probably isn't playing a whole lot but might in 2025.

Berry isn't addressing needs this year with drafted or signed rookies.  He fills them with vets on 1-2 year deals.  He seems to be drafting for future needs giving the rooks a year to learn  the NFL and team system.

We are finally at a point where it should be.  If you are expecting a rookie to immediately fill a key role you are just gambling.

That isn't a healthy place to be.

• Upvote 1

@Dutch Oven

3 full games in of All-22 re: Colson.   I'm hot and cold, which best describes his game.  

Solid size, good enough athlete, surprisingly better in coverage than I expected.  Really understood where to leverage himself in his assignments and zones vis a vis the coverage call and how he read things.   Good feel for helping to minimize those 'grey' areas.       

Downside? His inconsistency in the running game.   When you talk about wanting a compliment to JOK, you mean that guy in the middle who takes on leads, or sheds and gets hands on ball carriers where young JOK can clean things up (fill/force)  That's where he lacks.   Despite my praise of his coverage, I saw UM take him off the field in nickel and dime situations pretty frequently in favor of #23... whomever that is, pretty often.   Which was sort of a shocker if that's your defensive heartbeat along the front 7.   

I digress, I don't see the compliment I believe you're looking for.   His processing hot and cold was against QB centric running games and also not against them.    Sideline to sideline he moves well, decent enough tackling form but can lose that when pressing a clear gap, breaking down and attacking a QB or RB.  You don't see much of that 'enforcer', and he has a ton of assist tackles on his resume'.  

Overall, I just go full 'meh' with this LB class so far.   Rankings have Colson anywhere between the 4th and 8th best at his position, which makes him a *late* day 2 pick.  More comfortably for my tastes an early day 3 pick.  

RE: JJ McCarthy.  Holy fuck, I really never sat down to watch the passing structure of the UM air game, but it was pretty simple and straight forward.  A handful of concepts they used ranging from Y-pop RPO's, classic mesh, then misdirection setups to attack the perimeter.   But nothing complex. Have to credit the Oline and the running game for being the engine behind that car.    The Bama game was rather standout to me, because the overwhelming majority of what I saw was a  QB being setup for 1a and 1b being his legs.  Simple motions against Saban's well understood coverage designs, the biggest being against the single high, were what they found the most success with.        Not a volume shooter, and when a couple of the downfield developing shots that you would consider the NFL throws were there, they weren't taken.   Questionable ball placement and timing at the numbers and odd breaking routes.   When he throws errant, he tends to miss high... which is about the worst you can do when throwing.   His footwork in comparison to his follow through needs to be cleaned up SO much, which is the cause of a lot of his inaccuracies.  

You hear about the work ethic, and that's great.   Hard work and leadership are appreciated.  But there have been hundreds of QB in the last decade that have come and gone, most for a cup of coffee, that are hardworking and have "leadership".   If those are the first two traits and the one's you talk about most when discussing a signal caller, then you're going backwards in your eval and leaning on the cliche's for your foundation.  

JJ is physically capable and has decent size for the QB spot.  But at his current floor, he needs a ton of development.  A floor that, in no way, justifies a 1st round pick at this moment.   If the market values him as such, then like a stock, I'm going to put money on shorting it because this particular stock *should* drop, if it isn't being artificially inflated.  

edit: There is a kid from Bama, Justin Eboigbe,  IDL... that has caught a bit of my eye.  Plays primarily a 4/4i tech in Bama's odd fronts and some 5tech.  Looks really out of place doing it for what they ask of him.     Does some two gapping and such at times.   Gives the feel of a kid who could thrive in Schwartz' systems.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, syd said:

Makes sense... it has DTackle, OTackle, Linebacker and Wide Receiver as our top needs, and that tracks with what we all seem to be focusing on overall. 

Less than two weeks away!

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

Has anyone actually watched Payton Wilson, out of curiosity?   Highlight videos don't count...

I've yet to, so I'm asking an honest question.

It's funny you ask this, because after you shot down my Junior Colson love like some random girl at a Kent bar 20 years ago, I was going to ask you about this guy as a possible option. 

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

It's funny you ask this, because after you shot down my Junior Colson love like some random girl at a Kent bar 20 years ago, I was going to ask you about this guy as a possible option. 

I have a little time before dinner, so I'll be in the machine shop doing some film work on him.    There's several cutups of him on YT, the first one against UConn.  I'll start there.  

3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

because after you shot down my Junior Colson love like some random girl at a Kent bar 20 years ago

:lol:   golden flashes.. three HS friends had my 25th birthday party at Ray's Place while attending Kent. nice small college town back 35 years ago. Got back to Toledo 2 days later 🙃. I'd image Ray's never closed a single day during Covid : ) 

2 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

There's several cutups of him on YT, the first one against UConn.  I'll start there.  

These days... YT is all we get for free.. Junkies miss the draft site that had draftees full snaps of games. Sites name escapes me from a few years back ?

I've seen PW play live in 3 games.. UNC/ Clemson/ ND.. The comparisons to LB Blake Martinez coming out of Stanford, may not be to far off ? But, the pro's got to get Wilson to add some good upper bulk. 138 tackles/ at times adding his knee brace to finish games? Loves the game & guts ! 

LB class may have it's weakness? But, 

Colson & Wilson are not that far behind, what Jack Campbell did in his college days verse pass/run percentages at Iowa  https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/stats/CD/LB/1/2024

RANK PLAYER POS TEAM TACKLING PASS RUSH RUN DEFENSE COVERAGE RATING
Jack Campbell Iowa Thumbnail - NFLDraftBUZZ.com

Jack
Campbell

LB
Iowa   Mascot
90 69 85 92

Payton Wilson North Carolina State Thumbnail - NFLDraftBUZZ.com

Payton
Wilson

LB
North Carolina State   Mascot
91 75 83 88

Junior Colson Michigan Thumbnail - NFLDraftBUZZ.com

Junior
Colson

LB
Michigan   Mascot
96 68 84 83

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

:lol:   golden flashes.. three HS friends had my 25th birthday party at Ray's Place while attending Kent. nice small college town back 35 years ago. Got back to Toledo 2 days later 🙃. I'd image Ray's never closed a single day during Covid : )      

Oh yes, Ray's Place...

Two of my favorite "Just Missed A Really Good Time" stories center around Ray's.

First, my buddy was out one night and decided to leave Ray's to go to another bar. Minutes later Drew Carey walks in, has the manager shut the doors and everyone already in the bar drank for free on Carey the rest of the night. 

Second, I was at the Loft years later and the group I was with piece-meal decided to go down to Ray's. I was one of the last to leave, and there was a melee outside the bar's front door. I decided to leave when the cops rolled up, and minutes later two girls from the group who stuck around to witness the shenanigans come into Ray's and tells us that one of the guys in the fight got tasered by the cops. Damn it, I always wanted to see the Po-Po get all tasery. 

• Haha 3

35 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

One week, party people!

this dumb ass chose to work thru Monday & Tuesday, before jumping on Detroit flight Wednesday

l2JhOVyjSHGejoXXq.gif          

late to work again.. suspend me please 

• Haha 2