THE BROWNS BOARD

2024 Free Agent Frenzy

32 NFL GM's got some real work to do, with the leagues new highest Cap number to work from.

Player/Agents get busy on hammering out "I'm worth this in 2024" via 32 GM's or seek work/worth elsewhere.

In 6 days, March 11th 2024 new Player/team deals can be announced.  

Cleveland Browns FA's in the mix?

Here is the complete list of players headed to free agency dividing the list into offensive and defensive players:

Offense: Flacco, wide receiver Marquise Goodwin, running back Kareem Hunt, left tackle Geron Christian, guard Michael Dunn, tight end Harrison Bryant, center/fullback Nick Harris and wide receiver James Proche.

Defense: Defensive end Za’Darius Smith, defensive tackle Shelby Harris, defensive tackle Maurice Hurst, linebacker Sione Takitaki, linebacker Anthony Walker, safety Rodney McLeod, cornerback Mike Ford, linebacker Justin Kunaszyk, defensive tackle Jordan Elliott, cornerback Duron Harmon, linebacker Matthew Adams and linebacker Jacob Phillips

No perfect science to this, but our Cleveland Browns are coming off a 11 win season, not ready to start a roster re-tool counting on drafted rookies.

Let's Go to work on another playoff season Andrew Berry !

Here's a well thought out long link of idea's to get us started in the 2024 FA Market that may fit  our Cleveland Browns. No! it's not going to be perfect, but full of work put into...

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/longformarticle/cleveland-browns-free-agency-cheat-sheet-2024-228039468/#2363296

Let's Go Browns !

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, gumby73 said:

32 NFL GM's got some real work to do, with the leagues new highest Cap number to work from.

Player/Agents get busy on hammering out "I'm worth this in 2024" via 32 GM's or seek work/worth elsewhere.

In 6 days, March 11th 2024 new Player/team deals can be announced.  

Cleveland Browns FA's in the mix?

Here is the complete list of players headed to free agency dividing the list into offensive and defensive players:

Offense: Flacco, wide receiver Marquise Goodwin, running back Kareem Hunt, left tackle Geron Christian, guard Michael Dunn, tight end Harrison Bryant, center/fullback Nick Harris and wide receiver James Proche.

Defense: Defensive end Za’Darius Smith, defensive tackle Shelby Harris, defensive tackle Maurice Hurst, linebacker Sione Takitaki, linebacker Anthony Walker, safety Rodney McLeod, cornerback Mike Ford, linebacker Justin Kunaszyk, defensive tackle Jordan Elliott, cornerback Duron Harmon, linebacker Matthew Adams and linebacker Jacob Phillips

No perfect science to this, but our Cleveland Browns are coming off a 11 win season, not ready to start a roster re-tool counting on drafted rookies.

Let's Go to work on another playoff season Andrew Berry !

Here's a well thought out long link of idea's to get us started in the 2024 FA Market that may fit  our Cleveland Browns. No! it's not going to be perfect, but full of work put into...

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/longformarticle/cleveland-browns-free-agency-cheat-sheet-2024-228039468/#2363296

Let's Go Browns !

Isn't Wyatt Teller a free agent this year too?  Fingers crossed - hoping you say no here.

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

Isn't Wyatt Teller a free agent this year too?  Fingers crossed - hoping you say no here.

Teller is not a free agent. 

Nick Harris is. 

4 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Teller is not a free agent. 

Nick Harris is. 

Phew!!! That's real good news about Teller. We'll miss our situational Fullback though. Thanks!     

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

Phew!!! That's real good news about Teller.    

Saw Teller got married this off-season.  Rumor from The Athletic going around in early February..  

don't expect anyone to trade for W. Teller's non-guaranteed salary of $14m. Browns will need to make an early trade decision as Teller is due a addition $2m on the 20th of March.

don't see this team creating more roster holes now.. Pay the 2M  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

If I were the front office, I would be looking hard for someone to bring in at LT to push Wills and RT so they can have good depth for whoever starts. And keep Nick Harris, the more versatile, the better.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Neo said:

So, are we looking for middle linebacker in FA or that draft?

Considering Walker is officially gone and Takitaki is a free agent, I sure hope so. 

2 hours ago, BernieSuperBowl2 said:

Anthony Walker to the Dolphins

Maurice Hurst back on a one year

Za'Darius Smith signs a two year deal with the Brownies, fuck yes

Walker couldn't stay healthy and replicate the productivity he had with the Colts.

Very happy with Za'Darius Smith coming back. 

• Upvote 1

Looks like the Browns have signed Walker's replacement, with former Vikings LB Jordan Hicks. 

2 years, $8 mill. 

Hicks played under Schwartz in Philadelphia. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, LondonBrown said:

$4m a year sounds spot on for a position that Berry doesn’t usually put much resources into. 

Very true, but he's going to have go come up with some cash if he wants to keep his best draft pick to date - JOK. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, AP1 said:

Walker couldn't stay healthy and replicate the productivity he had with the Colts.

Very happy with Za'Darius Smith coming back. 

Definitely happy with the news about Za'Darius Smith.  More good news, Maurice Hurst aced his auditions in the IDL rotation here last year to warrant his next contract with the Browns.  I'm assuming that means he's healthy following his season ending injury.

On 3/10/2024 at 5:58 PM, Neo said:

If I were the front office, I would be looking hard for someone to bring in at LT to push Wills and RT so they can have good depth for whoever starts. And keep Nick Harris, the more versatile, the better.

An upgrade at LT would make the off season for me, but that is notoriously difficult to achieve. Not available via FA. Denver might be rearing it down, but there is no way we can afford Bolles. Any more 'tear down' teams with LTs we can afford?

Regardless, quite happy with big Z and bog Mo back.

11 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Looks like the Browns have signed Walker's replacement, with former Vikings LB Jordan Hicks. 

2 years, $8 mill. 

Hicks played under Schwartz in Philadelphia. 

I feel like I'm selling tanning beds in the Tropics with this - but am I going to get my wish for a Safety in round 2 pick #54?  Grant Delpit hasn't been very durable.  He missed all of 2020 on IR and finished 2023 on IR as well.  He's a great athlete with talent; but his mental blunders and eye discipline can be a liability.  Maybe Schwartz helps him improve on that or he continues to give him assignments that prevents opponents from exploiting it. He was a 2 time Consensus All American and a Jim Thorpe Award Winner that I was excited about.  That said, he hasn't been a game changer like Eric Turner was here or Ed Reed was in Baltimore or Polly was in Pitt.  Aside from Delpit's Safety position, it sure seems like we've overpaid the last veterans at the other Safety position.  I know the thought of drafting a Safety doesn't thrill people any more than it did back when the Browns drafted Eric Turner. Without a reliable Centerfield - left and right field sure look a million miles away from each other.

There's 3 exciting Safety prospects all projecting for round 2 that could be on our door step at #54 (per Athlon Sports NFL Draft Magazine):

Kamren Kinchens, Miami FL, 6-0 205lbs 5 PBU 5 INT 59 TACKLES 2.5 TFL 1 SACK in 2023 6 PBU 6 INT 59 TACKLES 1.5 TFL 1 FF & FR in 2022

Tyler Nubin, Minnesota, 6-2 210lbs 4 PBU 5 INT 53 TACKLES 1 TFL 1 SACK 1 FF & FR in 2023 3 PBU 4 INT 55 TACKLES 2 TFL 1 FF IN 2022  Also started in 2021

Calen Bullock, USC 6-3 190lbs 7 PBU 2 INT 63 TACKLES IN 2023 5 PBU 5 INT 48 TACKLES IN 2022 Also started in 2021

Grateful to see some of the signings, though I have my concerns.

- ZDS and his knees holding up all season. Upside, he's our most consistent player in sliding edge to interior where he brings additional value.  

- Mo Hurst finishing a season healthy.

- NFL not up'ing the active roster spots to account for the 17 game schedule.  This hurts the bigs more than anybody. Which is why I believe OL and DL depth is at a premium. 

7 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Grateful to see some of the signings, though I have my concerns.

- ZDS and his knees holding up all season. Upside, he's our most consistent player in sliding edge to interior where he brings additional value.  

- Mo Hurst finishing a season healthy.

- NFL not up'ing the active roster spots to account for the 17 game schedule.  This hurts the bigs more than anybody. Which is why I believe OL and DL depth is at a premium. 

It's almost like, and work with me on this, continuing to add length to a pro football schedule is a bad idea. 

Quantity over quality. I'd roll it back to 14 regular season games if I was King of the NFL. 

49 minutes ago, Neo said:

Just saw TakiTaki headed to NE.

• LB Sione Takitaki: Signing a two-year, $6.5 million deal that can be worth up to $10 million with some likely-to-be-earned incentives. (Tom Pelissero)

He was a good special teamer/role player for the team, good luck in New England!

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

Quantity over quality.

The world at large has been shifting to this mindset, the last decade or so it has really picked up steam.  Not just in football, but just about every aspect of life. 

I can't stand it.    Especially when it's something I've loved and been deeply devoted to pretty much my entire life. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

The world at large has been shifting to this mindset, the last decade or so it has really picked up steam.  Not just in football, but just about every aspect of life. 

I can't stand it.    Especially when it's something I've loved and been deeply devoted to pretty much my entire life. 

You're right. And not to derail this thread, you can see it in the auto industry. They pump out hundreds of cars a day but they are mostly junk. My car developed an oil leak around 75,000 miles and I suspect it has been leaking long before that.

17 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Especially when so often this comes with the mindset of "having your cake and eating it too".

Add more but expect the same product without adding resources (or otherwise being against adding them) has made so many parts of life become jaded. You're right, it's crazy that the NFL is so against adding even a few more spots of roster flexibility amongst so many things.

So, we lost Anthony Walker and TakiTaki, how do people feel about Jordan Hicks? Upgrade? Meh? What direction do we go for replacing TakiTaki? Saw there were some good linebacker available. Patrick Queen was one, Devin White was another. Are they the right fit?

So Hines is a decent, versatile backup/depth RB.

He's not going to blow your proverbial doors off, but he can run, receive and return kicks, and he's only 27.

He did miss the entire 2023 season due to a leg injury he suffered last July while jet skiing. 

Titty sprinkles.