THE BROWNS BOARD

2024 Free Agent Frenzy

1 hour ago, Neo said:

So, we lost Anthony Walker and TakiTaki, how do people feel about Jordan Hicks? Upgrade? Meh? What direction do we go for replacing TakiTaki? Saw there were some good linebacker available. Patrick Queen was one, Devin White was another. Are they the right fit?

Watched quite a bit of Hicks in Philly under Schwartz to better understand what we were getting in CLE.  An upgrade, from my assessment. 

Replacing Taki?  Good question, one I don't have an immediate thought on.   Patrick Queen is a good LB, but I doubt we have the cap and willingness to spend it further on that unit group.

Devin White is frustrating as all hell, because he'll play like he's all world one minute, then like shit the next.  So very inconsistent.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Neo said:

You're right. And not to derail this thread, you can see it in the auto industry. 

EVERY industry and enterprise.  Bottom line and only bottom line is considered.    Don't get me wrong, profit is necessary.  But I've watched several companies sacrifice standard and quality to save pennies (while still charging customers/vendors/manufacturers the exact same they were previously)  in everything from personnel (piss poor, ineffective and outside managerial hires that are overpaid the moment they're hired)  to actual raw material back to front house.  

At some point, the question has to be asked, when is the profit margin enough?   McDonalds has no business charging what they do for their 'food'.   Their net margins and net income have never been higher in the last 5 years, even with their labor costs going up to attract people who were tired of working fast food.  They were perfectly able to pay people more, while maintaining a respectable net/margin and not having to increase costs.   But hot damn, can't have that, now can we?   

It's no coincidence you see it in what dominates the headlines with music, styles, clothing choices, social circles etc etc etc....   these kids (a lot of people older than 25 as well) are taking on the 80's mindset.  I can't fucking stand the 80's (for the most part) and always hear "Greed is good" in my head when I think of that decade.  (Yes, I'm aware I'm a summer 89' baby) It was the decade of excess and glam that gave way to the darker 90's times in response (and thank Christ for that)

I'm ranting, but people are fucked.  And I've been of the mindset since I was 17, the less of them I deal with, the better.

4 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

Especially when so often this comes with the mindset of "having your cake and eating it too".

Add more but expect the same product without adding resources (or otherwise being against adding them) has made so many parts of life become jaded. You're right, it's crazy that the NFL is so against adding even a few more spots of roster flexibility amongst so many things.

I don't even need to see "spots"  - 1... ONE.  Give me one extra active spot I can use for either OL or DL.   Until then, the Shield that is the NFL can keep preaching 'safety' while having Thursday games and expanded regular seasons.  It's bullshit, just at a much higher and more profitable level.   Same goes for the collegiate level.   My soul has slowly begun departing from that as well.  

4 hours ago, LondonBrown said:
Former Bills RB Nyheim Hines is signing a one-year deal worth up to $3.5 million with the Browns, per sources.

Really liked Hines game when he was in Indy and Buffalo, including him being a real option for special teams effectiveness.     His recent injury though....  

• Thanks 1

Browns re-signed OL Michael Dunn and DT Shelby Harris. 

Browns pretty much bringing everyone back on DLine from last year but Jordan Elliot, who signed with San Francisco. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, LondonBrown said:

Derrick Henry to the Ravens

This division just doesn't let up

always been a fan  of D.H . But he is the type of back that needs to get into a grove, and man when he doe's he just get's better and better as the game move's on. So can that happen with lamar taking away carries ?

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, syd said:

always been a fan  of D.H . But he is the type of back that needs to get into a grove, and man when he doe's he just get's better and better as the game move's on. So can that happen with lamar taking away carries ?

Valid point. It seemed like Lamar has gotten out of that run first mentality but he doesn't seem like someone who is going to defer to someone else when the game is on the line. If he sees a lane, he's going to run. That's going to take touches away from Henry.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Neo said:

That's going to take touches away from Henry

sure i know this is corny. but i would not touch Henry or Barkley in fantasy. cause  Barkley will do the work and get you down field. But once there Fields will just get pushed into the end zone.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, syd said:

Yeah this is my thinking too, he would have limited carries, with Lamar, Dobbins, and Mitchell, its hard to see him getting consistent carries which to me would limit his effectiveness.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Neo said:

Valid point. It seemed like Lamar has gotten out of that run first mentality but he doesn't seem like someone who is going to defer to someone else when the game is on the line. If he sees a lane, he's going to run. That's going to take touches away from Henry.

How is Lamar going back into the pocket to pass, seeing a lane open and deciding to run instead "taking touches away from Henry"?

Seems to me that would take possible touches away from his receivers. 

37 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

How is Lamar going back into the pocket to pass, seeing a lane open and deciding to run instead "taking touches away from Henry"?

Seems to me that would take possible touches away from his receivers. 

I just have a feeling that he's going to be used kind of like Kareem Hunt, towards the end of the game, short yardage/goal line. Lamar will still be gaining a lot of yards on the ground for them. If in a close game and they need a yard or two yard, they will probably trust Lamar to find an open lane and not call a run for Henry. We shall see how they use him. I just remember the Seahawks were on the like the three yard line and they had Marshawn Lynch but they put the ball in Russell Wilson's hands in the Super Bowl.

Is it me, or are the Stealers having a better FA than we are? Wilson is a clear upgrade over Pickett, and they signed Patrick Queen for 3yr/41 million. Could we have afforded that?

2 minutes ago, Neo said:

Is it me, or are the Stealers having a better FA than we are? Wilson is a clear upgrade over Pickett, and they signed Patrick Queen for 3yr/41 million. Could we have afforded that?

LB is a position group that this front office does not like spending money on.

It will be interesting to see how they deal with JOK as he nears free agency. 

• Upvote 2

Best still available

DL Arik Armstead : Age 31

LB Bobby Wagner : Age 34

LB Devin White: Age 26

S Julian Blackmon : Age 26

CB Kendall Fuller : Age 29

CB Stephan Gilmore : Age 33

OT : Yosh Nijman  Age :28 Says he can play both tackle positions.  *Would love to see them bring this guy, or Jones in to compete with Wills.👇

OT: Josh Jones Age: 27 Says his natural position is LT and he has a high ceiling for a team looking for options.

DT Teair Tart AGE:27 Says he had a mid-season release, but could be a FA Steal.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Browns re-signed OL Michael Dunn and DT Shelby Harris. 

Browns pretty much bringing everyone back on DLine from last year but Jordan Elliot, who signed with San Francisco. 

Depth like this is invaluable.  When Bitonio couldn't suit up for the SF game - Dunn filled in and there wasn't any noticeable drop off in performance...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, LondonBrown said:

Good.  I don’t think he has a lot of tread left on those tires and 700 more carries than a guy like Josh Jacobs who got essentially a one year deal with team options later. 

13 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

LB is a position group that this front office does not like spending money on.

It will be interesting to see how they deal with JOK as he nears free agency. 

If we lose JOK because we extended a guy like Delpit I’ll be upset. 

13 hours ago, Neo said:

I would give JOK 3yr 35M rather than overpay for Queen 

13 hours ago, Neo said:

I mean, one thing about not being super active in FA is the result of having a good team. The Steelers objectively had (have) more needs than Cleveland does. They were in the back half of the league in both total offense and defense, for example. They also came into FA with a lot more cap room than Cleveland. Re-signing guys like Hurst to keep the best defensive unit somewhat together is great.

It's almost like drafting late in the first round- may not get the exciting guy but it almost always means the team was good the year before.

19 hours ago, Neo said:

All 32 teams end up making these types of moves, it depends on what cycle they're in.

Look at the Ratbirds- let Gus Edwards walk, pick up D Henry. 

Browns let Walker & Takitaki go. Probably didn't want to.

The business side & salary cap makes these GMs earn their money.

Bobby Wagner signed a 1 year contract with the Commanders with about 6 million. Anyone know any details bout Jordan Hicks' contract yet? Bobby Wagner has always been quality linebacker as far as I can remember.

On 3/12/2024 at 11:48 AM, LondonBrown said:

Why should the Browns fear ole Derrick? We only passed him over twice.

26 minutes ago, Neo said:

Bobby Wagner signed a 1 year contract with the Commanders with about 6 million. Anyone know any details bout Jordan Hicks' contract yet? Bobby Wagner has always been quality linebacker as far as I can remember.

Screenshot_20240313_183330_Chrome.jpg

1 minute ago, AP1 said:

$8.7M...

Joe didn't want to hurt any Starting Quarterbacks feelings  ;)   

• Upvote 1

Raiders signed TE Harrison Bryant. C Nick Harris to the Seahawks. Bryant was alright but not losing much with those two.

Browns sign TE/fullback Giovanni Ricci and Tony Brown - a couple of special teamers. 

Browns re-signed P Bojorquez for two years - that's a good move. 

Browns sign backup OT Hakeem Adeniji from Cincy for some o-line depth.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Why should the Browns fear ole Derrick? We only passed him over twice.

Somehow the Browns managed with Nick Chubb. 

And he did nothing vs the Browns when he came to Cleveland last fall.