THE BROWNS BOARD

2024 Free Agent Frenzy

The Browns picked up another Running Quarterback by signing Tyler Huntley to a one-year deal. He played his first four years in Baltimore as a backup to Lamar Jackson. 

On 3/16/2024 at 2:51 AM, Vagitron said:

because if he’s not willing to grind for the job I don’t want him anyway. 

whats up vag's. 

What's your projected team draft needs this upcoming draft?

We watched Baltimore landing studs that fell into their laps last season. Your team picks, come just before the Browns get on the clock.  and Don't take our guy ! ;)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

whats up vag's. 

What's your projected team draft needs this upcoming draft?

We watched Baltimore landing studs that fell into their laps last season. Your team picks, come just before the Browns get on the clock.  and Don't take our guy ! ;)

Yo!

Center and wr are now probably the top two. Corner for sure at some point too. Steelers really like odunze. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/12/2024 at 11:06 AM, tiamat63 said:

The world at large has been shifting to this mindset, the last decade or so it has really picked up steam.  Not just in football, but just about every aspect of life. 

I can't stand it.    Especially when it's something I've loved and been deeply devoted to pretty much my entire life. 

Just speaking from a football standpoint, the league has expanded to the point where there aren't enough quality players to fill all the job openings.  It started with QB's maybe 20 years ago.  There simply aren't enough quality QB's to fill the 32 starting quality openings.  Half the league is looking for starters.  When they finally get them, the half that has them now won't have them.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ballpeen said:

Just speaking from a football standpoint, the league has expanded to the point where there aren't enough quality players to fill all the job openings.  It started with QB's maybe 20 years ago.  There simply aren't enough quality QB's to fill the 32 starting quality openings.  Half the league is looking for starters.  When they finally get them, the half that has them now won't have them.

At any given era, there are only a small handful of QBs able to consistently lead their teams to post season wins as the offensive focal point.   These are the talents that you could put on any team, in any offensive system and they'd still find a way to deliver.   Even at 16 teams, you'd still have likely half looking to upgrade to find that elite, top 5 QB every season or at least paying an eye to that future. 

My comment is more towards the game of football crossing the line from sport that gives an attachment to your soul and community, into the realm of a money driven machine where the bottom line is *all* which matters.  

The Browns raised their season ticket prices again. Why? It's an incredibly profitable product with a dedicated fan base.   The middle class has been eroding for over 40 years.  Those who would find this game, and their connection to it, being a primary source of enjoyment, are losing that connection.  

Fans increasingly can't afford to make the games, the die-hard identity group like so many here.  I had an email from tOSU collective about donating to NIL funds.   Fuck. That.   Your most precious resources are your time and your health.  I trade my time for money Everytime I walk into work. I'm not giving additional monies to a collective for a perfectly healthy 17 year old, with the whole world in front of them, just to have them hit the transfer portal when they don't get the playing time they think they've earned or just want more money from year 1 to 2. 

The NCAA fucked up letting college players scrounge for years while they banked rolled.  Now?  It's all about securing "the bag" for yourself and yourself only.  I hear that about kids going to major schools, nevermind the fact that, as an 18 year old freshman having never set foot on the field, your NIL valuation will be worth more money than what over half the people in those stands make in a year who are older and have worked longer on their lives. 

The soul of football has been poisoned.  Don't even get me started on how commercialized the Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce thing was/is.   Not that I give an iota of a fuck about their relationship itself, but those Swifty eyes and their mental-illness, idol worshipping selves have made it where the NFL now has a vested interest with profit attached to it to insure that those eyes don't leave the screens.  This Superbowl was the most watched ever,  it is no small coincidence, I'm sure. 

The bottom line, the Almighty dollar itself, has become the single most important thing above all.  It makes me sick. 

Or as the Joker once said "All you people care about is money" 

• Upvote 3

That was a rant that seems to have been bottled up for a long time, and this has been how it goes for a long time.  I can still hear my Dad complaining because his season tickets went up to $14 a seat. Maybe for the 1965 season.  I have slept since then.

I know all about the price of games.  My 2 seats now cost me $4500 a year. I suspect the same people being priced out of going to games are more or less like the people priced out of going to game when tickets went up to $14 a seat.

This just goes in to the "it is what it is" category.  The NFL has never been in some magical category.  It has always been about money.  At least since players began to play for money and owners began to sell tickets.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, ballpeen said:

That was a rant that seems to have been bottled up for a long time, and this has been how it goes for a long time.  I can still hear my Dad complaining because his season tickets went up to $14 a seat.

I know all about the price of games.  My 2 seats now cost me $4500 a year.

This just goes in to the "it is what it is" category.  The NFL has never been in some magical category.  It has always been about money.  At least since players began to play for money and owners began to sell tickets.

Yep.

My seats went up $300 ($150 per ticket x2). $2304...of course the $4 is for "processing." I don't know how much longer I'm going to hang onto them. Thing that irritates me is my first invoice, there was no mention of a price hike....then invoice #2 a week or so ago, BAM, we need $300 more. Not cool at all. 

Then the NFL took our free NFL games away from us on the NFL app in 2023, that was a bad move. Of course, we could have it for $59.95 yikes, if we are willing to pay. 

It is upsetting, but the NFL knows people are going to pay. What a marketing machine the NFL is.

LOl...I rounded my ticket price..I didn't factor the service fee..lol

I agree on the announcement of the ticket increase.  Seems that should have been made before the initial payment was collected. That said, I expected prices to go up so it wasn't a shock.  I hear you, I have already gone past the threshold on price I made when I first got these things 18 years ago...maybe 19.  Anyway, here I am, still buying.

It is a marketing machine.  Heck, the Browns have a waiting list they cap at 4000 people.  It's full and people pay to get on the list.  People can't even get on the list until slots open up.  The Browns don't care all that much if people drop their seats.  They have thousands waiting in the wings who want seats.

Maybe I shouldn't say don't care.  More in line with not being concerned with filling the seats.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ballpeen said:

That was a rant that seems to have been bottled up for a long time, and this has been how it goes for a long time.

Yes, it has been bottled up. 

While professional football has to generate a profit, again I ask, how much and how far has it removed itself from the common fan?    This is why they maintain the emotional appeal - listen to the draft when fans are brought on to announce picks "My Cleveland Browns select....".  

It isn't just season ticket costs. Look at all the nickel and dime expenses.  I had to get several apps this year, pay the month fee, just to watch a couple games. Amazon, peacock, CBS, etc etc.     It's the principle of it at this point.  People being bilked for every last dollar.  Stop giving, and the NFL, like any other business, will respond accordingly.  I'm splitting a YouTube TV account with a couple friends this year, getting a digital antenna and That's it.   I'll pirate everything else.    Well, there's the yearly fee for the coaches film, but it falls under fair use so I can't complain. 

I can still hear my Dad complaining because his season tickets went up to $14 a seat. Maybe for the 1965 season.  I have slept since then.

While the middle class was much stronger than today.

I know all about the price of games.  My 2 seats now cost me $4500 a year. I suspect the same people being priced out of going to games are more or less like the people priced out of going to game when tickets went up to $14 a seat.

The underlying point, is the fact that a larger and larger percentage of people are being priced out.  It will come a time when few will be able to afford, or in my case, willing to spend the money. 

But you're right, it is what it is. 

• Upvote 1

[quote]While professional football has to generate a profit, again I ask, how much and how far has it removed itself from the common fan?[/quote]

What is a common fan?

I think that definition changes with the times.  The big problem football has in keeping prices in line with what i think you mean by the common fan/man is the limited number of games they play.  They get 8 home games compared to baseball's  81 games.  

They can have the $15-$20 seats.  They can run a dollar hotdog day.  Football can't do that.  As for how much money should they make, I am a capitalist. They should be able to make as much as they can just like players should make as much as they can.  If people buy the product, don't worry about the folks who can't, and I don't say that in caviler way.

21 hours ago, Bob806 said:

Yep.

My seats went up $300 ($150 per ticket x2). $2304...of course the $4 is for "processing." I don't know how much longer I'm going to hang onto them. Thing that irritates me is my first invoice, there was no mention of a price hike....then invoice #2 a week or so ago, BAM, we need $300 more. Not cool at all. 

Then the NFL took our free NFL games away from us on the NFL app in 2023, that was a bad move. Of course, we could have it for $59.95 yikes, if we are willing to pay. 

It is upsetting, but the NFL knows people are going to pay. What a marketing machine the NFL is.

Bob, I used to get excited to come visit Stan (Atenears) and go watch some training camp sessions with him every year.  They've made that almost impossible today for out of state fans that don't already have season tix.  It used to be easy to just show up and get a good spot to view the practice and/or walk around to one.   That feels like a lifetime ago...

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Bob, I used to get excited to come visit Stan (Atenears) and go watch some training camp sessions with him every year.  They've made that almost impossible today for out of state fans that don't already have season tix.  It used to be easy to just show up and get a good spot to view the practice and/or walk around to one.   That feels like a lifetime ago...

Agree. Its about a 2 mile walk from my house to the facility, but I'm not "pre-registering" for a practice ( in an Allen Iverson voice lol).

I know times change, but I'm struggling with all these rules/regulations. 

Go Browns. Win all 8 home games 

• Haha 1

...to FA.  The Browns resigned Proche.  I assume that marks the end of Jakeem Grant.

And they extended Jeudy's contract to 3 years.  

1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

FA Panthers/Bears RB D'Onte Foreman to sign with Browns

\

Now THIS is an underrated signing I also like, tossed in with bringing in a better body suited to playing more upback.  Liked Foreman at Texas, dude doesn't have much mileage, he's a bigger RB and he had almost 1k behind a very questionable Carolina Oline a couple years ago.   I could see him as the #2 before training camp is over.

10 minutes ago, syd said:

we had fish and chips. they were awesome and lots o beer's

You had something English on St. Pat's? 🤣

That's one helluva party foul! 

And in other moronic front office news...

Jeudy gets a 3 yr 41 million guaranteed extension....(58 million total)

Why?

Based on what?

Will we ever learn??

18 minutes ago, Kvoethe said:

And in other moronic front office news...

Jeudy gets a 3 yr 41 million guaranteed extension....(58 million total)

Why?

Based on what?

Will we ever learn??

were one of the same that  said Njoku's deal was bad ?

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I have this little feeling in the back of my head that the Browns might trade Elijah Moore. 

I could see Michigan trying to sneak him into their lineup and re-naming him Dusty Nuckinfuts.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Orion said:

Chubb,  Ford,  Strong,  Hines,  Foreman.   ( 5 guys.  Someone is in a rather 'weak' position )

For sure. Hines will probably be mostly special teams and maybe some passing down work. If Chubb starts the season on IR, it will be mostly Ford/Foreman with Strong getting minimal touches. Then when Chubb comes back, Strong goes to the practice squad. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BernieSuperBowl2 said:

I love the Foreman signing, whether Chubb misses time or they want to ease Chubb back, Foreman is the the north/south between the tackles runner we need who can handle a workload. A big dude at 235lbs. 

Seems like a good replacement for Chubb in short yardage/goalline situations. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Seems like a good replacement for Chubb in short yardage/goalline situations. 

Was that George Foreman II, George Foreman III, George Foreman IV, George Foreman V or D'Onta Foreman that played with the Bears last year?

All kidding aside, he doesn't have the wear and tear that took a couple steps away from Kareem Hunt IMO.