THE BROWNS BOARD

2024 Free Agent Frenzy

1 hour ago, Vambo said:

Another 3 tech.  The DL vision is starting to come together.  Clearly they want a bit more from the interior rotation after some late season gassing.  Also gives the ability to spell Dalvin a bit more on passing downs this season, who can play all over the front.    Ika has has his time to shine soon as that shade.  I need some run stops from him, even with some limited minutes.  

Browns sign TE/fullback Giovanni Ricci and Tony Brown - a couple of special teamers. 

Not enough attention being given to this.   One of these guys will be a quasi/spot starter.  Nick Harris and Harrison Bryant have been the one's pulling upback duty for the last couple seasons in various offensive packages.   Now you have a body in there actually more suited to play some lead without giving too many personnel tips and actually making that position more functional beyond just purely situational.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 3/13/2024 at 11:26 AM, SdBacker80 said:

I would give JOK 3yr 35M rather than overpay for Queen 

41M especially with the way it's structured isnt a overpay for Queen. Raven fans want to argue he simply benefitted from Smith but there are plenty that would argue the opposite. He's still incredibly young. 

I also agree on Jok. Better off paying your own, especially when they deserve the bag. 

On 3/13/2024 at 11:22 AM, SdBacker80 said:

Good.  I don’t think he has a lot of tread left on those tires and 700 more carries than a guy like Josh Jacobs who got essentially a one year deal with team options later. 

He doesn't. He's not the same hb he was and because of some big contracts on their roster they didn't have much choice. He will be fine but it's not some monster signing for them. 

15 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

LB Devin Brown signs a one year deal with the Browns.

Both Walker and Takitaki's spots were quickly filled. 

He's only 25 and played on teams known for their defense, now going on his third. Signing a one year deal, sounds like they are taking a chance on him, I hope it works out.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Neo said:

He's only 25 and played on teams known for their defense, now going on his third. Signing a one year deal, sounds like they are taking a chance on him, I hope it works out.

his hatred for tomlin and the steelers is fucking epic. last year he had his best game against them 

• Upvote 1

CLEVELAND, Ohio — If Browns new linebacker Devin Bush Jr. needs some directions around the team facility or even some tips on where to grab a bite in town after signing his one-year deal here on Thursday, he can always ask his dad, Devin Bush Sr.

The elder Bush played free safety for the Browns in the early years of their comeback, starting seven games in 2001 and nine in 2002. The 2002 season was the year the fledgling Browns went 9-7, finished second in the AFC North.

Schefter: Ex-Steelers LB Devin Bush Signing With Browns - Steelers Depot

This article doesn't sound too encouraging. I was going to post some snippets from it but it won't allow me to highlight anything.

It basically says the Steelers moved up to draft him, he tore his ACL, and his production took a nose dive after he came back, struggling to get off blocks.

It also talked about his 18 tackle game as a Seahawk vs the Steelers and said that his play didn't match the gaudy numbers. 

I wouldn't get your hopes up but I'm willing to give him a chance.

Edited by Neo

23 minutes ago, Neo said:

This article doesn't sound too encouraging. I was going to post some snippets from it but it won't allow me to highlight anything.

It basically says the Steelers moved up to draft him, he tore his ACL, and his production took a nose dive after he came back, struggling to get off blocks.

It also talked about his 18 tackle game as a Seahawk vs the Steelers and said that his play didn't match the gaudy numbers. 

Yeah, I'm just looking at him as Takitaki's replacement. Not going to expect him to all the sudden prove his first round draft status with us. 

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

LB Devin Brown signs a one year deal with the Browns.

Both Walker and Takitaki's spots were quickly filled. 

Bush 😘

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Neo said:

He sucks. He tore up his knee and hasn't been the same since. Gets lost in traffic, when he was still a steeler most had hoped he would get beyond it but he never did. I assume he's dirt cheap but unless something dramatically changes he's just going to piss you all off. 

2 hours ago, syd said:

his hatred for tomlin and the steelers is fucking epic. last year he had his best game against them 

He had a seriously weak game. Accumulated a bunch of tackles but not a single one was of the impact variety. 18 tackles half way down the field. 

11 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

Bush 😘

So we didn't sign Ohio State's backup QB to play LB for the Browns? 😁

When I heard about the Browns interviewing Bush today, I kept thinking they were talking about Devin White, and couldn't understand why they didn't seem real high on the guy. 🤣

Shenanigans, Vag. Straight up shenanigans in my head today. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

He had a seriously weak game. Accumulated a bunch of tackles but not a single one was of the impact variety. 18 tackles half way down the field. 

Seriously though, has the Steelers ever drafted, traded or signed a player you thought was no good, and on the flippy flip, has a player ever left the Steelers that you thought was still a very good player?

I mean, Kenny Pickett my man. You tried so hard to convince, well, maybe yourself that he was a viable NFL starting QB. 

36 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

He sucks. He tore up his knee and hasn't been the same since. Gets lost in traffic, when he was still a steeler most had hoped he would get beyond it but he never did. I assume he's dirt cheap but unless something dramatically changes he's just going to piss you all off. 

It's basically what I said. He played for two teams that are known for strong defense and developing their defensive players and he's only 25. So if he couldn't make it on a Mike Tomlin or Pete Carroll defense, the one year deal is pretty telling. Right now I'm looking at him as just a warm body taking a spot but I hope he can get it together. I'm going to give him a chance because I really wasn't expecting Flacco to do what he did. You never know.

Edit

But I don't understand this move, why bring in a guy just to take up a spot? Do they really think he has something to give us? Why not go after Devin White? I'm basically looking at this is that they got him on the cheap and if he turns into something then it's a bonus. They COULDN'T have looked at him and said " This guy is going to be an all-pro for years to come". And I am also kind of questioning not taking Bobby Wagner over Jordan Hicks. Wagner has been an excellent defender over the years.

40 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

So we didn't sign Ohio State's backup QB to play LB for the Browns? 😁

When I heard about the Browns interviewing Bush today, I kept thinking they were talking about Devin White, and couldn't understand why they didn't seem real high on the guy. 🤣

Shenanigans, Vag. Straight up shenanigans in my head today. 

Devin white kind of sucks too. Lol

42 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Seriously though, has the Steelers ever drafted, traded or signed a player you thought was no good, and on the flippy flip, has a player ever left the Steelers that you thought was still a very good player?

I mean, Kenny Pickett my man. You tried so hard to convince, well, maybe yourself that he was a viable NFL starting QB. 

Kenny pickett had Matt Canada his entire career outside of one game. The jury isn't out there. Mason rudolph wasn't and isn't some offensive savant and the o was moving pretty good once Canada got fired. 

Beyond that absolutely on guys that got away. Hargrave is a good example, Steven Nelson, Holmes was still good, Emmanuel Sanders, James Connor but he kept getting hurt on the steelers probably would have kept him around. The team doesn't really let defensive players go that are still tip top and Ben for a while had us losing guys because of his contract. Rod Woodson was still good.

I would 100% take Pickett over deshaun watson. 😂

Browns agree to terms with LB Jordan Hicks

Hicks spent three seasons in Philadelphia with defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz

LB Jordan Hicks signs with the Browns (clevelandbrowns.com)

The Browns agreed to terms LB Jordan Hicks on a deal to bring veteran experience to their linebacker room.

Hicks is entering his 10th NFL season, and has played in 122 total games with 119 starts, and compiled 873 tackles, 47 tackles for loss, 33 quarterback hits, 13 interceptions, 49 passes defended, six forced fumbles, 11 fumble recoveries and 14.5 career sacks. He's also recorded over 100 tackles over the last five consecutive seasons.

Hicks spent the previous two seasons with the Vikings, where he recorded 236 tackles, six tackles for loss, four sacks and six quarterback hits. He also played three seasons with Arizona from 2019-21.

Hicks began his career with the Eagles as he was selected in the third round of the 2015 draft by the Philadelphia. He played four seasons with the Eagles, three with defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz, and started all 35 games he played in over those three seasons with Schwartz. Hicks now returns to an attack-oriented defense under Schwartz, and a Browns' defense that led the league in total defense (270.2 yards per game), passing defense (164.7 yards per game) and third down percentage at 29.1 percent.

• Thanks 1

The Cleveland Browns have signed K Lucas Havrisik to a reserve/futures contract.

Havrisik (6-2, 188) enters his second NFL season out of Arizona. Originally signed to the Colts' practice squad in 2022, Havrisik spent time on the Browns' practice squad in 2023 before signing to Rams' active roster. In his nine games for the Rams, he connected on 15 of 20 field goal attempts and 19 of 22 PATs.

7 hours ago, Vagitron said:

Kenny pickett had Matt Canada his entire career outside of one game. The jury isn't out there. Mason rudolph wasn't and isn't some offensive savant and the o was moving pretty good once Canada got fired. 

Beyond that absolutely on guys that got away. Hargrave is a good example, Steven Nelson, Holmes was still good, Emmanuel Sanders, James Connor but he kept getting hurt on the steelers probably would have kept him around. The team doesn't really let defensive players go that are still tip top and Ben for a while had us losing guys because of his contract. Rod Woodson was still good.

And remember during his rookie season when I said that there was nothing I've seen from Najee Harris that scared me, and you said I'd eat those words?

3.9 career yards per carry after three seasons. Not a bad player, mind you, but pretty much what I said he'd be - a JAG.

And I'd take Pickett over Watson too, he'd be a lot easier to release.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Vagitron said:

I thought Pickett was going to be really good too for whatever that's worth.  Having said that, your FO isn't ready to give up on him yet.  He had a pretty good finish his rookie year IMO.  Like you said, Matt Canada was a train wreck so they'll let better coaching de-program his teachings to see what they really have.  

I don't think Russell Wilson will be the solution to your passing game; but he's still Dange-Russ with escaping the pocket. That could be enough if their defense plays well. The reason I say that about him is because he hasn't been the same game since that brutal injury to the middle finger on his passing hand.  He used to have a great zip and tight spirals coming out of his release.  Since then, he's had a lot of wobbly releases which don't get to the target nearly as fast (and they change the accuracy some).  All that said, he still clobbered the Browns last year.

9 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

And remember during his rookie season when I said that there was nothing I've seen from Najee Harris that scared me, and you said I'd eat those words?

3.9 career yards per carry after three seasons. Not a bad player, mind you, but pretty much what I said he'd be - a JAG.

And I'd take Pickett over Watson too, he'd be a lot easier to release.

Dutch you gotta do better when coming at me big dawg. I do my research and only follow the guys that dig into tape when covering the Steelers. Harris had Canada his entire career too and year one our line was horrendous. Harris after Canada was fired averaged 4.38 yards per carry over that six game stretch. It matters. Harris can finally be Harris now that, that dipshit is gone. 

6 hours ago, Flugel said:

I thought Pickett was going to be really good too for whatever that's worth.  Having said that, your FO isn't ready to give up on him yet.  He had a pretty good finish his rookie year IMO.  Like you said, Matt Canada was a train wreck so they'll let better coaching de-program his teachings to see what they really have.  

I don't think Russell Wilson will be the solution to your passing game; but he's still Dange-Russ with escaping the pocket. That could be enough if their defense plays well. The reason I say that about him is because he hasn't been the same game since that brutal injury to the middle finger on his passing hand.  He used to have a great zip and tight spirals coming out of his release.  Since then, he's had a lot of wobbly releases which don't get to the target nearly as fast (and they change the accuracy some).  All that said, he still clobbered the Browns last year.

I don’t know what the Steelers are going to do. I still think Kenny will challenge for that job and reports have indicated that Russ knows he’s coming in to compete for the job not be handed it. I’m ok with the Russ signing because he’s so cheap and he’s better than Rudolph and Mitch, both who are gone now. Paying him 1.2m is a no brainer. I believe Pickett is good. Canada was that bad. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Vagitron said:

I don’t know what the Steelers are going to do. I still think Kenny will challenge for that job and reports have indicated that Russ knows he’s coming in to compete for the job not be handed it. I’m ok with the Russ signing because he’s so cheap and he’s better than Rudolph and Mitch, both who are gone now. Paying him 1.2m is a no brainer. I believe Pickett is good. Canada was that bad. 

Annnnnd the Steelers just traded Pickett to the fucking eagles. Lol

whelp there goes that. 

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

Annnnnd the Steelers just traded Pickett to the fucking eagles. Lol

whelp there goes that. 

As much as I hate the Steelers, I give them credit. Either you fit the player that they need or you are gone, they don't mess around.