THE BROWNS BOARD

Head-to-Head Hits & New Rule Discussion

ATENEARS

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Where are the "fair hit" chumps now?

Let's hear it.

Sooo wait because the league fined him the hit was heinous? The league fines everything now. Once again frame by frame the Mo-mass hit it was his shoulder not his helmet that knocked Mo-mass out. How many of you have even played competitive football? You are taught to hit under the chin/upper mass. It's ingrained! very earlier in the competitive process. You then add in physics with speed, weight and burst and there isn't a TON a defender can do to alter body positioning. Ad a defender you don't want that guy catching the ball so you try and jar it loose. You all are a bunch of god damn babies. If A steeler got laid out and I watched it frame by frame and saw the evidence I'd say the same. It's the NFL, not two hand touch. Guys are going to get smacked. Funny against the Bengals most of you were applauding Wards hit on Shipley because it sent a message but when Harrison does it no dice? Make up your xxxxing minds. It's because two of your Browns got knocked out of the game. Flip the script and it's a non-issue. The hits weren't dirty and no I wouldn't sing a different song if it were Ward/Wallace/Are or someone else sidelined. IT's FOOTBALL!

Keep crying girls.

I've never seen so much whining from Browns fans in my life. You'd think Harrison pulled out a gun and shot Cribbs and Massaquoi on the spot judging by the non-stop crying going on. If the Browns thought the shots were cheap, they should have taken care of it on the field. Are they afraid of the big bad bully James Harrison? Or that 5'11 200 lbs receiver that has been terrorizing Cleveland for a decade now? Cleveland hasn't had an intimidating player on defense since they came back in 1999. Rogers was the closest thing to that and was responsible for countless late hits on the QB that you guys all celebrated.

The thread starter acts all high and mighty, yet he had an avatar of Roethlisberger down on the ground and injured before changing it yesterday. A couple weeks ago everyone was defending and bragging about TJ Ward. You guys all loved it when the Browns knocked Ben out of the game a couple years ago and when he had his motorcycle crash. The majority of you are nothing but hypocrites. So keep on harping about the big bad Steelers. Nothing's going to change the fact the Steelers have dominated the Browns for the past decade, and will continue to do so because of their strong management. The Steelers have fielded perennial playoff contenders for close to 20 years now.

Pittsburgh Steelers LB James Harrison fined $75,000 for hit on Browns WR Mohamed Massaquoi

Published: Tuesday, October 19, 2010, 4:45 PM Updated: Tuesday, October 19, 2010, 4:48 PM

Tony Grossi, The Plain Dealer

CLEVELAND -- Earlier in the day, Ray Anderson, NFL vice president of operations, admitted the game officials blew it by not penalizing Steelers linebacker James Harrison for his high hit on defenseless receiver Mohamed Massaquoi in Sunday's 28-10 Browns loss in Pittsburgh.

By afternoon, the other shoe dropped. Harrison was fined $75,000 for the hit by the NFL office.

Harrison's fine was the largest of those given out to players in an eventful weekend of devastating hits. New England safety Brandon Meriweather and Atlanta cornerback Dunta Robinson were fined $50,000 each for their illegal hits.

Harrison's fine was larger, reports said, because he was a repeat offender.

No players were suspended.

In an interview with Peter King of SI.com, NFL Vice President of Operations Ray Anderson said the hit on Massaquoi should have drawn a penalty.

"That call should have been made," Anderson said to King.

Had an unecessary rougness penalty been called on Harrison, the Browns would have had a first down at the Steelers' 41-yard line with 1:55 to go in the first half. They were down at the time, 7-3.

First, let me congratulate the browns on finding a keeper at QB. McCoy looks to be the first good QB the browns have had in about a decade. Secondly, every browns fan, including everyone on this board, gets down on their knees and prays every night that their team will find a linebacker like James Harrison. Period. And I know for a fact that every one of you would be singing the praises of such a player if he was a Brown. What Browns fan's heart doesn't go pitter-patter when they see footage of Jim Brown concussing players with forearm shivs? You all do. Admit it. What browns fan doesn't chortle at footage of Turkey Jones dropping Terry Bradshaw on his head? You all do. Admit it. Who among you didn't pump their fist when TJ Ward laid a stick on Mendenhall with 3 min left in a game that was already over? You all did. Admit it. So what's Harrison's crime?- The same crime that is committed on your team twice a year since forever. He was bigger and stronger, hit like a truck, and he wore black and gold.

dude we get it. no one on here like palomalu either but they don't bitch about how he plays the game. hines throws a couple of cheap shots twice a year and we get over it. harrison on the other hand is a goon=dirty player. obviously the nfl agrees with us in this theory as they called him a "repeat offender". after all the talk and evidence contrary to what you believe, how can you steeler fans defend the guy. yeah we want hard hitting defenders, but if the guy brings shame and undue attention to an already hot topic, sit down for a second and look at the way you play the game. quit launching off your feet and leading with your helmet.

as a former steeler said today: "the nfl has become the no tackle league BUT the all hit league," merrill hodge said. "what happened to fundamental tackling?"

Hey Steeler fems ... told ya so. Which one of you cliamed to have an NFL official in your back pocket and just knew for sure that he wouldn't receive a fine? Where is the 'my shit don't stink' attitude now? Douche.

I also told the doubters. I know an NFL ref and he swore to me this fine.

Also just a side note: Darnell Docket got fined $5,000 for wearing his socks too high on Sunday. Now thats some bullshit.

Sooo wait because the league fined him the hit was heinous? The league fines everything now. Once again frame by frame the Mo-mass hit it was his shoulder not his helmet that knocked Mo-mass out. How many of you have even played competitive football? You are taught to hit under the chin/upper mass. It's ingrained! very earlier in the competitive process. You then add in physics with speed, weight and burst and there isn't a TON a defender can do to alter body positioning. Ad a defender you don't want that guy catching the ball so you try and jar it loose. You all are a bunch of god damn babies. If A steeler got laid out and I watched it frame by frame and saw the evidence I'd say the same. It's the NFL, not two hand touch. Guys are going to get smacked. Funny against the Bengals most of you were applauding Wards hit on Shipley because it sent a message but when Harrison does it no dice? Make up your xxxxing minds. It's because two of your Browns got knocked out of the game. Flip the script and it's a non-issue. The hits weren't dirty and no I wouldn't sing a different song if it were Ward/Wallace/Are or someone else sidelined. IT's FOOTBALL!

Keep crying girls.

BOOOHOOOO

Ok done crying, now go back and look at the Ward-Shipley hit and then look at the two hits Harrison laid out and first and foremost, WARD WAS FLAGGED AND PENALIZED FOR THE HIT...as well as fined. Harrison recieved no on field penalty, which is fine as long as the league is not gonna pick and choose which ones to call/not call. Second the severity of the hits shows that Ward led with his shoulder and Harrison led with his helmet BOTH TIMES. While the Cribbs hit clearly looks as if hes going for the ball, i find it amusing that the ball was tucked in the RIGHT HAND the whole time and Harrison hit from the left side, apparently thinking he could hit the ball with his helmet THROUGH a human body? LOL. The first i can attribute to the speed of the game, the second is clearly stated in the rule books as illegal. PERIOD. NFL rules not Browns. Steelers have always had a rep just like the Raiders of dirty hits....Even the league fined him more because of "Repeat Offender" so I bet Roger Goodell is a whiner too now?

Ps oh yeah so you don't have to look it up...repeat offender means he has done it more than once...and been busted for it more than once....

BOOOHOOOO

Ok done crying, now go back and look at the Ward-Shipley hit and then look at the two hits Harrison laid out and first and foremost, WARD WAS FLAGGED AND PENALIZED FOR THE HIT...as well as fined. Harrison recieved no on field penalty, which is fine as long as the league is not gonna pick and choose which ones to call/not call. Second the severity of the hits shows that Ward led with his shoulder and Harrison led with his helmet BOTH TIMES. While the Cribbs hit clearly looks as if hes going for the ball, i find it amusing that the ball was tucked in the RIGHT HAND the whole time and Harrison hit from the left side, apparently thinking he could hit the ball with his helmet THROUGH a human body? LOL. The first i can attribute to the speed of the game, the second is clearly stated in the rule books as illegal. PERIOD. NFL rules not Browns. Steelers have always had a rep just like the Raiders of dirty hits....Even the league fined him more because of "Repeat Offender" so I bet Roger Goodell is a whiner too now?

My ass isn't crying. Why are some on this board so damn simple? Fade back in to obscurity. The board doesn't need any more of the mentally challenged continent posting on a more regular basis.

EDIT: And have you played a minute of competitive football? Seriously? Ball on the hit side or not a jarring it his likely going to knock the ball loose because your body goes in to sensory overload and you let go. Ball side or not the ball came loose didn't it? Desired effect was achieved.

Keep crying girls.

Call it crying if you like. But the two plays (ward , shiply. harrison, momass ) had major differences. The ward play was a bang bang play and there was a flag thrown. On the harrison hit he clearly launched himself ( left his feet) Leading with his forearms and helmet and no flag was thrown. No one but a homer could deny that.

Call it crying if you like. But the two plays (ward , shiply. harrison, momass ) had major differences. The ward play was a bang bang play and there was a flag thrown. On the harrison hit he clearly launched himself ( left his feet) Leading with his forearms and helmet and no flag was thrown. No one but a homer could deny that.

What no one is talking about it the reaction of Harrison afterwards. As soon as he struck MoMass he got up and acted like he had just saved the world. arrogant.

Clean hits but the league wants to hold tight to their "vicious hit" amendment. I don't mind Goodell but he's certainly making questionable calls for the so called "betterment of the league" The Big Ben case now set a precedent for going after players without formal convictions or accusations. Brett Favre being the most recent example. It's a joke and a vicious cycle.

My ass isn't crying. Why are some on this board so damn simple? Fade back in to obscurity. The board doesn't need any more of the mentally challenged continent posting on a more regular basis.

EDIT: And have you played a minute of competitive football? Seriously? Ball on the hit side or not a jarring it his likely going to knock the ball loose because your body goes in to sensory overload and you let go. Ball side or not the ball came loose didn't it? Desired effect was achieved.

Im not complaining about the hit on Cribbs and neither is the league. The rules state a "defenseless reciever" which considering momass was looking the complete opposite direction I think that qualifies.

Harrison makes 13.3 million this year. I guess if he gets too depressed, he can commit suicide by jumping off his wallet. LOL! Pick up your teeth, get on the turnpike, and head home a loser again, cleveland. Enjoy the afc north basement. It gets awfully cold down there, this time of year. Your persecution complex has reached new heights, as has our lombardy count.

Clean hits but the league wants to hold tight to their "vicious hit" amendment. I don't mind Goodell but he's certainly making questionable calls for the so called "betterment of the league" The Big Ben case now set a precedent for going after players without formal convictions or accusations. Brett Favre being the most recent example. It's a joke and a vicious cycle.

Umm its a policy that they sign which states that they must conduct themselves in a professional manner at all times. That includes raping women after getting them smashed I think....

OK I GIVE UP TRYING TO GET ANY OF THE STEELER FAN REGULARS ON HERE TO ADMIT THAT THEIR GUY DID ANYTHING WRONG. THE CLOSEST THING THEY HAVE IS EQUATING IT TO THE HIT TJ WARD HAD ON SHIPLEY. THERE IS A DIFFERENCE, BUT I'LL CONCEDE. OK TJ'S HIT WAS FLAGRANT AND DESERVED THE FLAG AND PENALTY. CAN YOU ADMIT THE SAME WITH HARRISON? I DOUBT IT. YOU GUYS WILL DEFEND THE BIGGEST SCUMBAGS IN THE LEAGUE. WHY? BECAUSE THEY'RE ON YOUR TEAM.

WELL THE LEAGUE AND THE MAJORITY OF FANS NATIONWIDE DISAGREE WITH YOU AND THE ACTIONS OF YOUR GOON. HOW DOES THAT FEEL?

He should have been fined $7,500,000. And suspended the rest of the year. xxxxing roided up criminal.

Be for real Brother... Its Football He made a Play. I heard a Parade of 20 Plus Ex Players in ESPN Radio today. I didnt Hear ONE Guy Say the Harrison Hits were Dirty. A Couple Reporters were about it. The League is just Covering its Tail , in Event a Disaster happens. Its Football. Not Flag Football.

OK I GIVE UP TRYING TO GET ANY OF THE STEELER FAN REGULARS ON HERE TO ADMIT THAT THEIR GUY DID ANYTHING WRONG. THE CLOSEST THING THEY HAVE IS EQUATING IT TO THE HIT TJ WARD HAD ON SHIPLEY. THERE IS A DIFFERENCE, BUT I'LL CONCEDE. OK TJ'S HIT WAS FLAGRANT AND DESERVED THE FLAG AND PENALTY. CAN YOU ADMIT THE SAME WITH HARRISON? I DOUBT IT. YOU GUYS WILL DEFEND THE BIGGEST SCUMBAGS IN THE LEAGUE. WHY? BECAUSE THEY'RE ON YOUR TEAM.

WELL THE LEAGUE AND THE MAJORITY OF FANS NATIONWIDE DISAGREE WITH YOU AND THE ACTIONS OF YOUR GOON. HOW DOES THAT FEEL?

1st off the League front office feels that way. and thats ALL ABout $$$ and Liability. The PLAYERS Dont feel that way... the 20 Ex Players on ESPN ALL day dont feel that way. It was a Football play ...as was TJ Wards... Now The League says Do it and its gonna Hurt YOU. Thats where we stand. It wasn't Flagrant ... or with Malice. It was whats taught to you as a player starting in Pee Wee. KNOCK the Guy silly...dont let him Catch that ball. Get over your whiny self toxicshock.

harrison an average player? since when? Nfl defensive player of the year, 2 time super bowl champ, universally acknowledged as one of the premier players in the league, outside of cleveland of course. Cleveland hasn't produced a player of his caliber since jim brown. All that region could do was hurl racial slurs at him when he grew up there in high school.

Be for real Brother... Its Football He made a Play. I heard a Parade of 20 Plus Ex Players in ESPN Radio today. I didnt Hear ONE Guy Say the Harrison Hits were Dirty. A Couple Reporters were about it. The League is just Covering its Tail , in Event a Disaster happens. Its Football. Not Flag Football.

thank you hulk hogan. Harrison shouldve been fined, not a ludacris amount like 7,500,000 but the 75,000 will do. Its not the fact that harrison hit momass with his shoulder, he blatantly aimed(with his shoulder) for his head, the rest of his body was wide open, why not wrap up or hit him in the chest? Even though the cribbs hit was leagal, harrison again showed he aims to give concussions and potential paralyzation, now thats class!

Archived