THE BROWNS BOARD

Barkevious Mingo

Zombo

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think they panicked at all. If they picked a guy 30 seconds into their time it because they were DAMNED sure of what they wanted.

Now, that may not have been the same thing you wanted.....but your Job title doesn't say "Cleveland Browns CEO/GM/Player Personell director" and theirs does.

And I believe they said they would try to trade down IF Mingo was not there....but he was there. Had he not been there, maybe they would have traded and use up more of your precious time.

Bottom line: their vote counts, yours/mine don't.

With picks like this one, they won't have those titles very long.

At the end of the day, were the ones who are going to care about the Browns three years from now, not them.

I don't think they panicked at all. If they picked a guy 30 seconds into their time it because they were DAMNED sure of what they wanted.

Now, that may not have been the same thing you wanted.....but your Job title doesn't say "Cleveland Browns CEO/GM/Player Personell director" and theirs does.

And I believe they said they would try to trade down IF Mingo was not there....but he was there. Had he not been there, maybe they would have traded and use up more of your precious time.

Bottom line: their vote counts, yours/mine don't.

Gip I think you nailed it right here, if this ain't the truth I don't know what is.

Their guy was there, they took him now let's move on!! I myself am excited as hell about our front 7, its gonna be a fierce D this year and I can dig it for sure!!

Well, this thread will be legendary one way or another.

Either I am a genius for screaming "No!" Before it actually happened...

Or I am forever known as the jackass who hated Mingo pick ....

Hoping and praying for Jackass.

Z

-- so what happens to Sheard?

you may as well stick with what you were pretty adament about.

everyone hopes he can bulk up a little, fits the moniker of what Horton likes though.

you may as well stick with what you were pretty adament about.

everyone hopes he can bulk up a little, fits the moniker of what Horton likes though.

Bulk up a little????? hes 237 lbs, hell Kam Chancellor is a safety and hes 232.. most OLB in 3-4 are closer to 260-270. That is scary small in a 3-4 defense, now sure how he will fight off OT or TE

Bulk up a little????? hes 237 lbs, hell Kam Chancellor is a safety and hes 232.. most OLB in 3-4 are closer to 260-270. That is scary small in a 3-4 defense, now sure how he will fight off OT or TE

It's called speed, strength, and quickness. Watch some of his college tape, he was very good at shedding blockers, and he played in the SEC so those linemen were no bums.

It's called speed, strength, and quickness. Watch some of his college tape, he was very good at shedding blockers, and he played in the SEC so those linemen were no bums.

So thats how he got a whooping 4.5 sacks last season, on a defense that had NFL talent everywhere so offenses couldnt just key on him.. Montgomery(6'3" 262) had almost twice that and went in the third. Ill hold judgement on the pick but taking a 3-4 OLB that is 237 lbs is a lil scary.

Mingo Looking to Bring Some Bark Back to the Dog Pound

April 26, 2013 – 9:30 am by Chris Fedor

The Cleveland Browns plan this offseason has been very clear: get after the opposing quarterback. That’s what they identified in free agency. They added defensive tackle Desmond Bryant and outside linebacker Paul Kruger. And that’s what they identified with the 6th overall pick in the 2013 NFL Draft. Barkevious Mingo. It loosely translates to quarterback killer. Ok, maybe not. But it would be fitting. Misused at LSU (asked to play a lot of contain against dual threat QB’s) Mingo’s production (just 4.5 sacks) doesn’t look worthy of being a Top 10 pick to some fans that enjoy eye-popping stats, but his talent warrants his draft position. Mingo’s size, speed, athleticism and explosiveness can’t be taught. He’s a physical freak. The Browns needed a special pass-rusher. And they might have gotten the best one this year’s draft had to offer.

Barkevious Mingo joined 92.3 The Fan in Cleveland with Ken Carman and Les Levine to talk about what he has to do to prepare himself to be a starter as a rookie, what he needs to improve on, on his strength, how playing in the SEC prepared him for the NFL and what his message is to Browns fans.

What he has to do to prepare himself to be a starter as a rookie:

“Just get to work and train my body to be ready for rookie minicamp. Get some running in, get some weightlifting in, pick up some weight and just all around football.”

What he needs to improve on:

“With this system being able to effectively drop and cover those guys. Being a defensive end in college I didn’t drop that much, but the times we did I did okay at it, but now just have to get used to doing that more.”

On his strength:

“Quick first step and getting in the backfield and disrupting the play. Getting to the quarterback. Not every play you have to get a sack. When you know that it kind of makes you mad but just being able to get into the backfield and get a hand in his face, hit his arm, pull him down and all of that effects how the ball comes out.”

How playing in the SEC prepares him:

“I got to play against Luke Joeckel, D.J. Fluker and all those guys. Those guys are going to be first round picks and those guys are the guys that we will be playing in this league. Having those guys I think it really prepares me to play early on.”

Has it sunk in that you were the No. 6 pick?

“It hasn’t sunk in yet. I’m kind of in disbelief. I am an NFL player and a Cleveland Brown.”

On his message to Browns fans and what they can expect with him:

“Just get ready to win. I’m going to bring a winning attitude and the will to win. That’s what we did at LSU and that’s what the Cleveland Browns are all about.”

http://sportsradiointerviews.com/2013/04/26/mingo-looking-to-bring-some-bark-back-to-the-dog-pound/

Misused at LSU (asked to play a lot of contain against dual threat QB’s) Mingo’s production (just 4.5 sacks) doesn’t look worthy of being a Top 10 pick to some fans that enjoy eye-popping stats, but his talent warrants his draft position. Mingo’s size, speed, athleticism and explosiveness can’t be taught. He’s a physical freak.

What do you guys think ... is that a fair analysis? That he was used in contain schemes and that's why he wasn't a prolific sacker? I'm willing to buy that. Trust me, I've never wanted to be more wrong about a hasty pre-draft analysis.

Do you think if he were in the Big 12 and unleashed on more traditional passers that he would have racked up a bunch of sacks?

Or are we just in love with the physical freakiness and convinced with the right coaching he can be the next Derrick Thomas?

Zombo

My analysis is that I think the one potential major advantage he will have is the depth the Browns now possess on the defensive line and LB corps.

If you have him on one side, Kruger on the other, who are you going to double team? Use an OT and TE on one and an OT and FB on the other....what does that do?.....It opens up the middle, and the likes of Taylor and Rubin and Bryant and The Sausage King to possibly roam free. Use the FB in the middle and those DEs are left one on one.

With this depth I think this defense could be like a bunch of swarming Zombies.

How about that for a nickname for this front 7: The Swarming Zombies.

My analysis is that I think the one potential major advantage he will have is the depth the Browns now possess on the defensive line and LB corps.

If you have him on one side, Kruger on the other, who are you going to double team? Use an OT and TE on one and an OT and FB on the other....what does that do?.....It opens up the middle, and the likes of Taylor and Rubin and Bryant and The Sausage King to possibly roam free. Use the FB in the middle and those DEs are left one on one.

With this depth I think this defense could be like a bunch of swarming Zombies.

How about that for a nickname for this front 7: The Swarming Zombies.

Zombies are slow, shambling dead walkers. It's a pretty bad connotation, in my book.

I don't like the whole nickname deal anyway. It's very 70's and 80's. Trying to implement nicknames would be an affront to some of the greatest ones in NFL history.

You let the nicknames develop, you don't try and force it on them. I had a buddy who forced people to call him Boom for no reason. He was a giant guy and was known for shitting his pants on the field one day. One day someone called him the "great white shart" and it stuck, which is much better than "boom", in my opinion.

Okay, I'm lying. I was the guy who shit his pants.

Yeah my dude, speed rush around the edge. He is our fastest and most athletic rusher

He will have to develop moves regardless. There is no one in the league who simply rushes past a LT and gets the sack every time.

He's going to be engaged, he's going to have to develop some sort of pass rushing moves.

He will have to develop moves regardless. There is no one in the league who simply rushes past a LT and gets the sack every time.

He's going to be engaged, he's going to have to develop some sort of pass rushing moves.

I understand this.

My point to b86b is that he is a speed rusher and won't need to out strengthen TEs and LTs, well at least not this year.

Zombies are slow, shambling dead walkers. It's a pretty bad connotation, in my book.

I don't like the whole nickname deal anyway. It's very 70's and 80's. Trying to implement nicknames would be an affront to some of the greatest ones in NFL history.

You let the nicknames develop, you don't try and force it on them. I had a buddy who forced people to call him Boom for no reason. He was a giant guy and was known for shitting his pants on the field one day. One day someone called him the "great white shart" and it stuck, which is much better than "boom", in my opinion.

Okay, I'm lying. I was the guy who shit his pants.

The problem is that the Browns are using a nickname left over from the 80s. Which is kinda worse that trying to forcea nickname on the team.

Fair to say GWS?

The problem is that the Browns are using a nickname left over from the 80s. Which is kinda worse that trying to forcea nickname on the team.

Fair to say GWS?

Extremely fair to say. I think the Dawg Pound moniker should be dropped yesterday.

We don't have Minnifield. We don't have Dixon. We have Haden and Ward and Richardson and Thomas. We don't really have an All-Star grouping, our talent is scattered throughout the team...which is a good thing. Now we can solidify one aspect at a time, which I believe we are doing with our defense.

We need to let our game dictate a nickname, if there's one to be had.

Maybe this year our defense will show us the way

Extremely fair to say. I think the Dawg Pound moniker should be dropped yesterday.

We don't have Minnifield. We don't have Dixon. We have Haden and Ward and Richardson and Thomas. We don't really have an All-Star grouping, our talent is scattered throughout the team...which is a good thing. Now we can solidify one aspect at a time, which I believe we are doing with our defense.

We need to let our game dictate a nickname, if there's one to be had.

Maybe this year our defense will show us the way

OK, but, well SOMEONE invents every nickname be it the Purple People Eaters, the Fearsome Foursome, the Doomsday Defense, the Steel Curtain, the Dawgs etc. etc. Those names don't come out of the ether. So there is nothing wrong with coming up with something....so why shouldn't we try.

Besides, after World War Z comes out, perhaps Zombies will not have the reputation as slow rambling dead things and the name could become appropriate:

http://www.worldwarzmovie.com/#

OK, but, well SOMEONE invents every nickname be it the Purple People Eaters, the Fearsome Foursome, the Doomsday Defense, the Steel Curtain, the Dawgs etc. etc. Those names don't come out of the ether. So there is nothing wrong with coming up with something....so why shouldn't we try.

Besides, after World War Z comes out, perhaps Zombies will not have the reputation as slow rambling dead things and the name could become appropriate:

http://www.worldwarzmovie.com/#

Yeah, but the best names are those that describe a team's style of play as well as reference the team itself, like the Steel Curtain, the Big Blue Wrecking Crew or the Hogs.

I think our most apt nickname over the last 20 years has been the Frowns, like the 'Aints or the Yuckaneers.

Yeah, but the best names are those that describe a team's style of play as well as reference the team itself, like the Steel Curtain, the Big Blue Wrecking Crew or the Hogs.

I think our most apt nickname over the last 20 years has been the Frowns, like the 'Aints or the Yuckaneers.

And with our front 7 running over people to get at fresh raw Quarterback meat, "The Swarming Zombies" hopefully will perfectly describe the teams style of play.

http://blogs.clevelandbrowns.com/2013/04/30/5-takeaways-from-draftfree-agent-signings/

By Vic Carucci, Senior Editor

Here are my five biggest takeaways from the Browns’ draft and undrafted free-agent signings:

>Player-personnel types with whom I’ve spoken around the league love Barkevious Mingo’s speed and athleticism, saying they’re as exceptional as could be found in any player in the draft. They see the most effective way for him to make an immediate impact as an outside linebacker is in obvious pass-rush situations, and expect him to be a nice complement to fellow outside linebacker Paul Kruger. But they also maintain high regard for Jabaal Sheard and think he can make a successful conversion from end to outside linebacker and will fill a key role in the defense, especially on early downs.

>At 237 pounds, Mingo is somewhat light for his position. The sense I get from NFL player-personnel types is that he can comfortably add weight, in the form of additional muscle. One told me that it was conceivable that Mingo could get close to 250 pounds, but that it was more realistic to envision him hovering in the low- to mid-240s. On the issue of how well the former LSU defensive end can adapt to dropping into coverage as an outside linebacker, another player-personnel man said Mingo’s background as a basketball player should serve him extremely well when it comes to positioning and body control.

>Leon McFadden is seen by player-personnel people with whom I’ve spoken as about as good a cornerback as the Browns could have selected in the third round. In fact, Gil Brandt, the architect of the Cowboys’ dynasty of the 1970s and a player-personnel guru for NFL.com and SiriusXM NFL Radio, told me he had a second-round grade on McFadden because of his speed and ball skills. The biggest reason this choice makes sense is the nature of the 3-4 scheme that defensive coordinator Ray Horton is installing. By design, this defense puts immense pressure on cornerbacks, who are constantly challenged in coverage because of the abundance of defenders rushing the passer, and they must be smart and instinctive. According to one NFL source, McFadden did well on the Wonderlic test, given to all draft prospects.

>Safety Jamoris Slaughter is the prototypical sixth-round pick. The former Notre Dame standout is recovering from a ruptured Achilles, but his low-round status minimizes the risk and sets the table for a tremendous reward if Slaughter is able to make a significant contribution as a rookie and/or beyond. Slaughter says he expects to be able to participate by the start of training camp in late July, and that seems reasonable considering that he suffered the injury early last season. But it’s entirely possible the Browns will decide to shelve him for his rookie year and see what he can contribute in 2014.

>Consider this fun fact: There are 15 undrafted free agents in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. That’s two more than top overall draft picks in the Hall and seven more than Heisman Trophy winners in Canton. Do the Browns have any such gems among the 18 undrafted free agents they’ve signed? Who knows? What’s interesting is that the positions with the most undrafted free agents are wide receiver (five) and offensive tackle (four). The Browns didn’t address tight end in the draft, as many of us expected, but did pick up a couple among their undrafted signees: Garrett Hoskins, from Eastern Michigan, and Travis Tannahill, from Kansas State.

http://blogs.clevelandbrowns.com/2013/04/30/5-takeaways-from-draftfree-agent-signings/

By Vic Carucci, Senior Editor

Here are my five biggest takeaways from the Browns’ draft and undrafted free-agent signings:

>Player-personnel types with whom I’ve spoken around the league love Barkevious Mingo’s speed and athleticism, saying they’re as exceptional as could be found in any player in the draft. They see the most effective way for him to make an immediate impact as an outside linebacker is in obvious pass-rush situations, and expect him to be a nice complement to fellow outside linebacker Paul Kruger. But they also maintain high regard for Jabaal Sheard and think he can make a successful conversion from end to outside linebacker and will fill a key role in the defense, especially on early downs.

>At 237 pounds, Mingo is somewhat light for his position. The sense I get from NFL player-personnel types is that he can comfortably add weight, in the form of additional muscle. One told me that it was conceivable that Mingo could get close to 250 pounds, but that it was more realistic to envision him hovering in the low- to mid-240s. On the issue of how well the former LSU defensive end can adapt to dropping into coverage as an outside linebacker, another player-personnel man said Mingo’s background as a basketball player should serve him extremely well when it comes to positioning and body control.

>Leon McFadden is seen by player-personnel people with whom I’ve spoken as about as good a cornerback as the Browns could have selected in the third round. In fact, Gil Brandt, the architect of the Cowboys’ dynasty of the 1970s and a player-personnel guru for NFL.com and SiriusXM NFL Radio, told me he had a second-round grade on McFadden because of his speed and ball skills. The biggest reason this choice makes sense is the nature of the 3-4 scheme that defensive coordinator Ray Horton is installing. By design, this defense puts immense pressure on cornerbacks, who are constantly challenged in coverage because of the abundance of defenders rushing the passer, and they must be smart and instinctive. According to one NFL source, McFadden did well on the Wonderlic test, given to all draft prospects.

>Safety Jamoris Slaughter is the prototypical sixth-round pick. The former Notre Dame standout is recovering from a ruptured Achilles, but his low-round status minimizes the risk and sets the table for a tremendous reward if Slaughter is able to make a significant contribution as a rookie and/or beyond. Slaughter says he expects to be able to participate by the start of training camp in late July, and that seems reasonable considering that he suffered the injury early last season. But it’s entirely possible the Browns will decide to shelve him for his rookie year and see what he can contribute in 2014.

oh joy!

brilliant!!

I love when folks bitch about sixth and seventh round picks. Love it.

Zombo

They're always just a complete flyer with a snowball's chance of making it, or guys with character issues (see: Billy Winn) that may completely flake out or actually straighten up and contribute. Why bitch? The only reason to complain is if some 3rd round talent slides and we pass in favour of pure camp fodder, maybe like Zac Dysert.

The Hogs had nothing to do with Washington or "Redskins". Doomsday Defense had nothing to do with Dallas or Cowboys.

Dawgs had nothing to do with Cleveland or Browns.

Swarming Zombies describes the Browns front 7.

The Hogs had nothing to do with Washington or "Redskins". Doomsday Defense had nothing to do with Dallas or Cowboys.

Dawgs had nothing to do with Cleveland or Browns.

Swarming Zombies describes the Browns front 7.

Those names (with the exception of Doomsday) were in relation to how they played.

If the Browns prove to play like swarming zombies, then that would be an apt name. Preemptively nicknaming them is sad. Let them play into a nickname.

Archived