THE BROWNS BOARD

Barkevious Mingo

Zombo

Tim couch pulls out, when you get a chance hang this on the side of your house...... appreciate it and remember to recycle and reuse....

So he'll take us to zero Super Bowls and then leave us and win a couple with another team?

Next time, pick a better comparison dumbass.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh Gipper, they will be back to their old ways on defense and with the drafting of Bell and Wheaton im not too worried abiutthe offense either. The Browns will still be bringing up the rear in the north. i cant wait for Sharmarko Thomas to bite you all in the ass.

Why would you believe that? Harrison is gone, Polamalu a ghost of his former self. Many others over the hill.

You think a single rookie is going to make all the difference?

What makes you think that Thomas will be any better at causing turnovers than Leon McFadden?

Show us some concrete proof of that.

(You cannot...it is just you wishing and hoping...and going on a track record that no longer necessarily applies)

Why would you believe that? Harrison is gone, Polamalu a ghost of his former self. Many others over the hill.

You think a single rookie is going to make all the difference?

What makes you think that Thomas will be any better at causing turnovers than Leon McFadden?

Show us some concrete proof of that.

(You cannot...it is just you wishing and hoping...and going on a track record that no longer necessarily applies)

Polamalu was hurt and to close out the season was back to being disruptive troy. Worilds is going to surprise and i expect Woodley to be back to being Woodley. Mcclendon was already out playing casey and hes at the nose and the corner play has been fantastic since Carnell Lake took over. Heyward will be ready to start full time and then yes Jarvis Jones and Shark Thomas. Harrison didnt get healthy till the end of last year, same with Troy. Offensively Bell was drafted to start and Wheaton is a much more polished route runner than Wallace with Wallace like speed. Im not surprised you are still here slurping the Steelers will be bad kool aid like a lot of you have been drinking for years. Yet you still get blasted and have been a top ten staple in the draft for the last decade. Hit me up when that changes, until then at least behind closed doors give credit where credit is due. Either way i still give you bit of a break, you know the Browns and not much else.

Polamalu was hurt and to close out the season was back to being disruptive troy. Worilds is going to surprise and i expect Woodley to be back to being Woodley. Mcclendon was already out playing casey and hes at the nose and the corner play has been fantastic since Carnell Lake took over. Heyward will be ready to start full time and then yes Jarvis Jones and Shark Thomas. Harrison didnt get healthy till the end of last year, same with Troy. Offensively Bell was drafted to start and Wheaton is a much more polished route runner than Wallace with Wallace like speed. Im not surprised you are still here slurping the Steelers will be bad kool aid like a lot of you have been drinking for years. Yet you still get blasted and have been a top ten staple in the draft for the last decade. Hit me up when that changes, until then at least behind closed doors give credit where credit is due. Either way i still give you bit of a break, you know the Browns and not much else.

Again, you are here wishing and hoping and thinking that all these guys will be great and all these guys will stay healthy...but face it: the Steelers last year were an average to below average team.

They, just like every other team in the league got some new draftees. I don't see where any of them will make that team appreciably better for this year.

The Bengals and the Ravens had better drafts on paper. With limited choices the Browns did not., but the Browns had a better FA period.

And all you are is the master of the obvious: that the Browns have not done well in the draft in the past.

I now enough about the Steelers:

They no longer have Harrison, Mike Wallace, Colon, Harrison, Mendenhall, Starks, Mundy, Will Allen, and Keenan Lewis.

And got what in return? Matt Spaeth, Bruce Gradkowski, and William Gay?

You need to hope and pray that this draft class is as good as you think it is, because certainly what you got in return in FA doesn't make up for what you lost.

So, you had to turn to the draft to replace these know quantities with unknown quantities.

Will Jarvis Jones make up for Harrison? This is your best bet.

Will Leveon Bell make up for Mendenhall? Actually, this may be a better bet

Will Wheaton or Justin Brown make up for Wallace? Highly debatable

Will 7th rounder Nick Williams make up for Casey Hampton? I am going to guess no

Will Gay and Thomas make up for Keenan Lewis and Will Allen? Maybe....at best a push.

Will Landry Jones and Bruce Gradkowski make up for Charlie Batch? Yea, probably.

Will Matt Spaeth make up for Ryan Mundy? Yea, probably

The ONLY absolute upgrade I think yinz got was Bell to replace Osama.

Jones may replace Harrison, but will he eventually be as good as Harrison in his prime? Who knows. This guy may become your Clifford Charlton or Sergio Kindle.

Again, you are here wishing and hoping and thinking that all these guys will be great and all these guys will stay healthy...but face it: the Steelers last year were an average to below average team.

They, just like every other team in the league got some new draftees. I don't see where any of them will make that team appreciably better for this year.

The Bengals and the Ravens had better drafts on paper. With limited choices the Browns did not., but the Browns had a better FA period.

And all you are is the master of the obvious: that the Browns have not done well in the draft in the past.

They no longer have Harrison, Mike Wallace, Colon, Harrison, Mendenhall, Starks, Mundy, Will Allen, and Keenan Lewis.

You need to hope and pray that this draft class is as good as you think it is, because certainly what you got in return in FA doesn't make up for what you lost.

So, you had to turn to the draft to replace these know quantities with unknown quantities.

Will 7th rounder Nick Williams make up for Casey Hampton? I am going to guess no

Will Gay and Thomas make up for Keenan Lewis and Will Allen? Maybe....at best a push.

Will Landry Jones and Bruce Gradkowski make up for Charlie Batch? Yea, probably.

Jones may replace Harrison, but will he eventually be as good as Harrison in his prime? Who knows. This guy may become your Clifford Charlton or Sergio Kindle.

Wheaton is going to be a faster antonio brown. Mcclendon will be replacing hampton and shark thomas could be on of the bigger steals in the draft and it happened courtesy of the Browns. i expect bell to be a 3 down back as a rookie and jones to play situationallh because worilds is there to play in the harrison vacancy. I at no point implied all these rooks were going to contribute. Colon and starks are both too slow for the zone blocking scheme, mendenhall made his bed and lewis was let go because cortez allen is better. Terry hawthrone also has all the tools to be very solid. We have robert golden who the team likes more than will allen and they drafted thomas. Matt Spaeth graded out as the best blocking tight end last year and they have paulsen, check his college tape. heath also isnt dead. The only big loss in fa was wallace with lewis on the fringe. they will get a 3rd and a 4th round comp for their departures.

Edit: the steelers dont build through fa, but we did also sign larod stevens howling

Wheaton is going to be a faster antonio brown. You hope Mcclendon will be replacing hampton and shark thomas could be on of the bigger steals in the draft and it happened courtesy of the Browns. You hope. i expect bell to be a 3 down back as a rookie and jones to play situationallh because worilds is there to play in the harrison vacancy. I at no point implied all these rooks were going to contribute. I am saying they will need to contribute to replace the guys you lost. Colon and starks are both too slow for the zone blocking scheme, mendenhall made his bed and lewis was let go because cortez allen is better. Terry hawthrone also has all the tools to be very solid. You hope. We have robert golden who the team likes more than will allen and they drafted thomas. Matt Spaeth graded out as the best blocking tight end last year and they have paulsen, check his college tape. heath also isnt dead. No argument...I only asked if Spaeth is better than Mundy...maybe. The only big loss in fa was wallace with lewis on the fringe. they will get a 3rd and a 4th round comp for their departures.

Edit: the steelers dont build through fa, but we did also sign larod stevens howling

They may not build, but they can deconstruct. In the past when they have deconstructed with FA losses they were always able to reconstruct with the draft...and upon the LeBeau magic coaching touch. That may not necessarily be the case again and again.

Wheaton is going to be a faster antonio brown. You hope Mcclendon will be replacing hampton and shark thomas could be on of the bigger steals in the draft and it happened courtesy of the Browns. You hope. i expect bell to be a 3 down back as a rookie and jones to play situationallh because worilds is there to play in the harrison vacancy. I at no point implied all these rooks were going to contribute. I am saying they will need to contribute to replace the guys you lost. Colon and starks are both too slow for the zone blocking scheme, mendenhall made his bed and lewis was let go because cortez allen is better. Terry hawthrone also has all the tools to be very solid. You hope. We have robert golden who the team likes more than will allen and they drafted thomas. Matt Spaeth graded out as the best blocking tight end last year and they have paulsen, check his college tape. heath also isnt dead. No argument...I only asked if Spaeth is better than Mundy...maybe. The only big loss in fa was wallace with lewis on the fringe. they will get a 3rd and a 4th round comp for their departures.

They may not build, but they can deconstruct. In the past when they have deconstructed with FA losses they were always able to reconstruct with the draft...and upon the LeBeau magic coaching touch. That may not necessarily be the case again and again.

Gipper Mundy is a safety, spaeth a tight end. As i pointed out in the other thread you know the browns, you dont know anyone els

Gipper Mundy is a safety, spaeth a tight end. As i pointed out in the other thread you know the browns, you dont know anyone els

No, I knew that I just mispoke. What I meant was will Spaeth be better than the TE you lost, Pope.

And FYI, Kellen Davis is rated a better TE than either of them. (so was Ben Watson)

No, I knew that I just mispoke. What I meant was will Spaeth be better than the TE you lost, Pope.

And FYI, Kellen Davis is rated a better TE than either of them. (so was Ben Watson)

Spaeth is 100 percent better than pope. he had like 5 catches as a steeler. Spaeth as i said graded outt as the best blocking tight end in the nfl. Paulsen is also very capable. Clearly the Steelers are confident in both because they didnt draft a tight end. The Steelers with another season in the zone blocking scheme and the drafting of Bell should immediately improve on the ground. They drafted Wheaton who is ready to roll right now. All signs point to a faster Antonio Brown as hes a very accomplished route runner. Sanders will also get starter reps and hes been in th wings ready to break out for a while. Add in Jarvis Jones and Shark Thomas and both sides of the ball are immediately better. There are at least 4 possibly 5 legit contributors and possibly two rookie of the year candidates in Wheaton and Bell.

Spaeth is 100 percent better than pope. he had like 5 catches as a steeler. Spaeth as i said graded outt as the best blocking tight end in the nfl.

Who did that grading? You?

Both he and Kellen Davis played for the Bears last year....Steelers got Spaeth, Browns got Davis. Davis was considered the better player. (maybe he was the catcher and Spaeth the blocker....that is by ESPN who did that rating. For what it is worth they were both cut by the Bears. (Who really needed a TE...what does that tell you about both of them?)

Paulsen is also very capable. Clearly the Steelers are confident in both because they didnt draft a tight end.

Apparently the Brown are too....because they didn't draft one either. Browns also got Gary Barnidge...but he wasn't rated as high as either Davis or Spaeth.

The Steelers with another season in the zone blocking scheme and the drafting of Bell should immediately improve on the ground.

The Steelers were doing zone blocking schemes going back to Chuck Noll. When did they go away from it?

They drafted Wheaton who is ready to roll right now. All signs point to a faster Antonio Brown as hes a very accomplished route runner.

Sanders will also get starter reps and hes been in th wings ready to break out for a while.

Josh Gordon has already been rolling. And Devone Bess is a better route runner than any of them.

Add in Jarvis Jones and Shark Thomas and both sides of the ball are immediately better.

Well, you hope.

There are at least 4 possibly 5 legit contributors and possibly two rookie of the year candidates in Wheaton and Bell.

Nah. Mingo will get that honor....or Armonty Bryant....who will break the sack records of the guy that went to his alma mater: Mark Gastineau.

You can't stop them, you can only hope to contain them.

The reality-based argument took a turn in this thread.

If Wheaton is a faster Antonio Brown, Mingo is a faster Clay Matthews.

Watch Wheatons tape, he explodes out of breaks and is a already accomplished route runner. I also love me some Brown but hes not a top ten guy and you just drew a ridiculous comparison. Matthews is elite, Brown is just solid for now until his game further matures. Yo gipper there are offensive and defensive rookies of the year and i will be shocked if one of them is mingo. He was overdrafted. Pro football focus was the site to grade spaeth as the best blocking tight end last season. i dont talk out my ass gipper, you do occasionally, i dont. As far as banbridge is concerned he is ungodly slow and not very good. i do like davis, the steelers looked at him before deciding on spaeth. Now with Bess, solid reciever but just a few days ago you couldnt even spell his name correctly, now you know all about his route running? Sanders/Brown > Bess. The pats thought enough of Sanders to offer him contract, i didnt see them beating down the door for Bess who was practically free. Oh an the steelers got away from the zone scheme a long time ago, now they have the agile lineman to return to it.

Clay Matthews Jr was a Browns linebacker for 15 years, made 4 Pro Bowls, and is 17th all-time on Total Games Played with 278.. #1 for total games played by a LB.

His son has played for the Packers for 5 years.

They are the only father-son combination to earn Defensive Player of the Week in the NFL.

This is just two blowhards trying to blow each other over.

The Steelers are mediocre and the Browns suck.

Neither team will finish first in the AFCN this season.

The talent level is slowly decreasing in Pittsburgh, as Tomlin isn't as adept at putting together a team as Cowher was. For the most part, you have replaced your aging talent with serviceable replacements, but gone are the days of Polamalu, Harrison, Ward, Bettis, Burress, Miller,Taylor, etc.

It used to be that 10 of the top 50 players in Madden were Steelers players.

The Browns, OTOH, are just looking for consistency.

It's like talking apples and oranges. This year, I think, our records will be awfully similar.

I despise pissburgh just as much as any browns fan here, but I just wanted to comment on Leveon Bell, he is the real deal and the other AFC north teams better strap it up when they play them. I never got to watch him live when he played at Michigan st. but I saw him play H.S. ball every Friday night at Groveport Madison in Columbus (also my H.S. BTW) and he was far and away better than everyone else. He also had a damn good college career. I really wished he woulda came out early last year and hoped the Browns woulda drafted him. He's gonna make everyone forget all about Mendenhall, I guarantee that.

[quote name="Vagitron" post="336749" timestamp="1367712329

Sanders/Brown > Bess.

I recently read a stat line In a article on NFL.com and it went something like this,

14th most productive receiver in the NFL over the last 4 seasons...... wasn't Sanders, wasn't Brown....can you guess who it was??

Will be a bust.

Please, please take Milliner.

Zombo

I'd like Browns fans to know that Mingo is one of three players featured in the brand new hour long special on NFL Network called, "Draft Journey 2013." I was not a big fan of taking Mingo but this special look in-depth at him is an eye opener, to say the least.

The special features three players -- Mingo, Marcus Lattimore and Geno Smith -- in the weeks leading up to the draft, including the Combine and their pro days. And then it shows them behind the scenes and at the draft in NYC. Very interesting look at Mingo and if you have NFL Network make sure you watch it.

A couple of things stood out to me about Mingo. One of them: this guy is really FAST. We've never seen a Browns LB with anything approaching his speed and athletic ability. Part of the story took Mingo to his high school in West Monroe and his high school coach broke down some of the tape of Mingo. His HS coach called him a freakish athlete who did amazing things and showed some examples on tape. Then there were the scenes close-up of drills Mingo performed at the Combine and at his pro day. I was in awe of the speed and dexterity of Mingo in going through those drills.

The other thing that impresses one about Mingo is the young man himself: poised, very intelligent, positive, and very articulate. He'll be a fine spokesman in front of the media and with the fans. I have no doubt he'll quickly pick up all that Horton asks him to do.

The NFL special was designed to put these guys in a positive light so they featured their mom's a lot and minimized other family members and girlfriends. One can see where Barky gets his intelligence and communication skills from: his mom. I was very impressed with some of her perspectives of being mom of a high school and college all american football player. Not sure what mom MIngo does, but maybe she's a teacher. Seems to me she must have a college degree.

The big issue with Mingo will be strength and weight -- can he shed off blockers in the NFL. I have no doubt about his ability to reach the QB if no one is there to block him. He will need to perfect some moves, though, as Mr. Wembley found out after his great rookie year and teams figured him out.

Now as for the other two guys featured in the show -- Lattimore and Smith -- Lattimore comes across as impressive as Mingo as a person. He is beloved by all in the State of South Carolina. The Ball Coach called Lattimore the most popular plyer ever at USC. Lattimore is determined to be ready to go by training camp.

Geno Smith didn't impress me at all. While Mingo and Lattimore came across as genuine, Smith comes across as empty and soulless. I just don't see him as the kind of guy who will fire up a team in the huddle. I can see why teams passed on the guy and, remember, the TV special was designed to cast these guys in a relatively favorable light.

So, Barky Mingo is a very impressive dude as a person and fans are going to like him a lot. I don't foresee any problems with the law coming from this guy. He'll have a great work ethic and he has great athletic ability. Now can Mr. RayHorton and his staff coach him up and beef him up and make him a great one. Interesting challenge, indeed .

I recently read a stat line In a article on NFL.com and it went something like this,

14th most productive receiver in the NFL over the last 4 seasons...... wasn't Sanders, wasn't Brown....can you guess who it was??

I like bess, solid reciever but hes still not sanders and brown. He just saw the ball more in miami last season. Ben was hurt, brown was hurt and sanders was 3rd string. Once again where were the pats beating down the.door for.bess?

I despise pissburgh just as much as any browns fan here, but I just wanted to comment on Leveon Bell, he is the real deal and the other AFC north teams better strap it up when they play them. I never got to watch him live when he played at Michigan st. but I saw him play H.S. ball every Friday night at Groveport Madison in Columbus (also my H.S. BTW) and he was far and away better than everyone else. He also had a damn good college career. I really wished he woulda came out early last year and hoped the Browns woulda drafted him. He's gonna make everyone forget all about Mendenhall, I guarantee that.

No offense, but anyone who goes on to play D1 college ball looks like a beast in high school. High school stars often are mediocre college ballers just like college stars are often mediocre nfl players. I wouldn't base your assumption off high school ball especially if you haven't seen his college games.

Watch Wheatons tape, he explodes out of breaks and is a already accomplished route runner. I also love me some Brown but hes not a top ten guy and you just drew a ridiculous comparison. Matthews is elite, Brown is just solid for now until his game further matures. Yo gipper there are offensive and defensive rookies of the year and i will be shocked if one of them is mingo. He was overdrafted. Pro football focus was the site to grade spaeth as the best blocking tight end last season. i dont talk out my ass gipper, you do occasionally, i dont.

Every word that comes out of your mouth is coming out of your ass.

So, you found one site that said one guy was good. And a dozen other sites probably contradict that site.

As an attorney I am well familiar with the concept of "dueling experts".

Especially in this area....I can find a hundred "experts" to contradict what you say....and a hundred to contradict what I say.

As far as banbridge is concerned he is ungodly slow and not very good.

And I bet we could find some "expert" that says that Bainbridge is better than Spaeth.....not that I care to argue that point. No one here, me included, thinks that Bainbridge is the be all and end all of tight ends. He's a body.

i do like davis, the steelers looked at him before deciding on spaeth.

Maybe they didn't decide. Maybe the Browns snatched Davis up first, so he was unavailable to the Steelers. The few sites that I saw said that Davis was the better player. (but, again, no one is saying this guy is the second coming of Tony Gonzales)

Now with Bess, solid reciever but just a few days ago you couldnt even spell his name correctly, now you know all about his route running?

So? Is that how stupid you are? You are all worried about a typo?

Sanders/Brown > Bess.

Maybe, maybe not. Bess will be at Best our #3 receiver. And he will have a different role than Sanders or Brown. He is essentially a third down possession guy. Not a #1 burner guy.

The pats thought enough of Sanders to offer him contract, i didnt see them beating down the door for Bess who was practically free.

Bess was obtained in a trade. He wasn't "free". But yes, the Browns shrewdly got for practically free. This front office has done plenty to reap criticism....getting a veteran presence at possession receiver practically for free isn't one of them.

Well, yes, that is the one area that I too felt that the Steelers have upgraded.

• 1 month later...

Fluff piece on Mingo from the official site:

Mingo: 'I've learned a lot' since the draft

Posted Jun 12, 2013

By Matt Florjancic, Staff Writer

Browns outside linebacker Barkevious Mingo has learned a lot since joining the team and transitioning to a new position at the game’s highest level.

Since the Cleveland Browns made Barkevious Mingoicon-article-link.gif the No. 6 overall pick in the 2013 NFL Draft back, the 6-foot-4, 237-pound former defensive end has undergone a position chang130612-barkevious-mingo-nai.jpge to outside linebacker, participated in 10 organized team activity sessions and six minicamp practices.

During that time, the former LSU Tiger said he has “learned a lot.”

“I’ve got a better understanding of the playbook,” Mingo said while serving as a guest instructor at the Cleveland Browns’ Youth Football Camp Tuesday. “I learned how to be a professional athlete, how to practice as a professional, and a lot of stuff in this short amount of time. It’s really incredible.

“I’m going to continue to work out, stay in shape, and report to camp in the best shape that I can come in at.”

Mingo has embraced the way coach Rob Chudzinski, defensive coordinator Ray Horton and the other coaches on staff teach their schemes to the players, by showing them everything and finding out what assignments the team executes best.

“There’s a lot they’re throwing at us, but it’s part of the process,” Mingo said. “You’ve got to get a good understanding of the playbook. You’ve got to learn your assignments, your techniques. You’ve got to learn all of that, and then, translate it onto the field.

“At times, it’s been hard. It’s way different from my experience at college, but it’s football. This is what it is. Don’t think too much. Once you get the understanding, everything will be all good.”

Part of what Mingo is trying to understand is the importance of dropping into coverage. Having played defensive end his entire career at LSU, there were not many opportunities for him to cover.

“I think I’m doing a great job at it, learning the coverages, the responsibilities of an outside linebacker,” Mingo said. “The transition hasn’t been what I thought. I thought it was going to be 10 times worse, but it’s really been a smooth transition, and I’m enjoying it.

“I’ve done it a couple times at LSU as a defensive end, but doing it this amount of times at practice, that’s the learning I have to do. It’s coming along (well), and I’m just looking to the future.”

During his college career, Mingo made 15 starts in 40 games, registered 15 sacks for 108 lost yards and made 29 tackles in opposing backfields. He also made 119 total tackles, broke up 11 passes and collected 27 hits on quarterbacks.

However, those statistics only got him drafted into the NFL. Mingo knows the rest is up to him, and he would not have it any other way.

“I’m just going to go in there, compete for a job and just have fun playing with those guys,” Mingo said of training camp. “We’ve grown close over the last couple weeks that we’ve been here, especially us as rookies. Getting to do stuff like (coaching at the youth camp) really helps us bond, and I think that’s how to build a team.”

As far as being camera ready, Mingo's a star waiting to happen and probably a future Strahan. He loves the camera, looks good and talks great. If he can ring up some sacks, guy's gonna make some coin off the field.

Same is not true of the Slinger, B-Weeds. Guy seems really nice but he's ass ugly and dull. Then again, I didn't see Manning's laid back humor developing until it bit me. He's one of the best ever.

Sound like I've done a little casting? Har.

Archived