THE BROWNS BOARD

Barkevious Mingo

Zombo

Taylor played college ball at Akron, he was a man among boys (easier to stand-out if your a badass and your conference isn't)

Mingo played ball in a conference that's having "arms race" for talent among it's respective schools...Tonight's 1st round draft had 13 players selected from the SEC...

Even more of a reason for Taylor to be picked in the first round, then, yet he was taken in the third.

Mingo is probably one of the least talented of the SEC players drafted in the first round, yet he was one of the first taken.

You're just making my point for me.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, yes, a pass rusher is lovely and all, but are we just hoping for the best with our secondary? Only way we can get a starter now is if we pick another boom/bust player, like Mathieu. I'd be ok with that, but the strategy is risky as hell.

One question I have about Mingo is that all the reports describe him as 'unpolished' or 'raw' - now with Ansah, who has only been playing 5 minutes it's understandable, but Mingo redshirted his freshman year, so clearly they knew coming out of high school he was going to be a decent player. He then played every year after that, so it's not like he's just burst on to the scene.

Is there a legitimate reason for this or am I right to be a little concerned that after all that coaching he's still 'raw?'

Bengal fan....I come in peace. I did not like the pick. I thought Millner would have been a better choice in a division where throwing the ball has become more important than running it. I mean if he can get to the QB consistently and get sacks cause pressure, then its a great pick and it will help whoever CB #2 is. LSU defensive ends over the last few years have kinda been busty-average though( Marcus Spears, Glenn Dorsey, Tyson Jackson... Ricky Jean Francois has done ok and jury still out on Michael Brockers)

Good luck....hopefully for ya'll he'll be Jason Taylor and not Vernon Gholston

This is walterfootball's take.

6. Barkevious Mingo, DE/OLB, LSU: C- Grade
I guess 2012 tape doesn't matter for the Browns. Barkevious Mingo was awful this past season and flat out quit in some games. Mingo doesn't even fill a real need unless Jabaal Sheard is dealt, which is confusing in itself because Sheard was one of the top defenders on the Browns last year. You also have to wonder what the Browns are going to do at quarterback. Michael Lombardi has a dubious draft history, and it doesn't seem like he's off to a good start.

1. I hate Lombardi

2. Only drafting a QB at six would have pissed me off more

3. I said almost a year ago Jones should be the pick (even though Milliner grew on me)

4. Jones is now a Steeler, and he will give us headaches like Harrison all over again

5. If Mingo is not a complete bust, I will be surprised

6. I'm tired of witnessing the Browns draft players

The negativity is overwhelming.

facts:

Chud said Mingo disrupted QB on a lot of snaps, so it doesn't show in the stats.

Joe Banner said a trade was in place if Mingo had not fallen.

You can't have enough pass rushers.

Mingo has the athletic abilities, needs to work on moves to become premier rusher

I'll be happy to see Mingo work. His tape from 2012 shows a disinterested person - and that's exactly who we drafted.

And this shit about Mathieu is ridiculous -- he's small and compensates for that by being neither fast nor quick. He can't actually cover people, he simply guessed and relied on the other 3 DB's [who were all-SEC] to cover for him. He did not make plays against good competition.

Joe Banner said a trade was in place if Mingo had not fallen.

I think there's a snowball's chance in hell of Mingo not falling. It was clear that two LTs would go in the top 5, potentially another depending on how desperate teams got, and Dion Jordan. the 5th pick could have gone anywhere, but it never looked like they were selecting Mingo.

I hope he works out, and i'm not set against drafting him from the start, I'm just a little confused by it. OK, so not drafting to fill needs - it's a valid approach, and can be extremely successful. But was Mingo really the BPA? Would we not have been better suited with Jarvis Jones, if we were set on OLB? Or if we really wanted the best player on the board, wasn't that Chance Warmack? Side note - interesting to see Cooper go before Warmack, I don't think many had that one pegged.

I guess 2012 tape doesn't matter for the Browns. Barkevious Mingo was awful this past season and flat out quit in some games. Mingo doesn't even fill a real need unless Jabaal Sheard is dealt, which is confusing in itself because Sheard was one of the top defenders on the Browns last year. You also have to wonder what the Browns are going to do at quarterback. Michael Lombardi has a dubious draft history, and it doesn't seem like he's off to a good start.

I don't really understand the take on this one. I was with the guy for a little bit until he started the "wonder what the Browns are going to do at Quarterback". What do you mean what are they going to do about quarterback? Obviously they are going to start the guy that was drafted in the first last year.

I'm luke warm on the Mingo pick. I don't know. Maybe it was this years draft class, but there really didn't seem like there were that many players taken in the first round that didn't have question marks. Other than the OT's that the Browns didn't need, it seemed that everybody was a project, or had injury issues or wasn't good enough to be taken in the top ten, and it's not like adding a CB was going to make the Browns a Super Bowl contender.

The only things I'm sure of with Mingo, is someone needs to get the dude a cheeseburger.

Mingo was not just highly rated by the Browns, but by MANY teams/scouts. I like the pick...we just got a fast & aggressive football player who is of good character & presents himself intelligently in addition to his athletic ability.

Is there potential for him to be a bust? CERTAINLY, as with EVERY player in the draft, but we went out & drafted one of the highest rated (by experts) players in this draft. That's a great thing.

As I have stated before, NONE of us have the knowledge of the Pros who scouted & selected Mingo, so why not wait & see what he DOES on the field before making asses of ourselves by being "judge & jury". As I stated before, I like the pick but I won't guarantee his success. I just hope that those of you guaranteeing his failure are big enough to acknowledge you were wrong if & when he DOES succeed.

Mike

Amen

So much fucking hate. Walter can kiss Cleveland's collective ass. I'm assuming he would have given us a B if we had drafted Geno Smith based on this assessment. I'm glad we didn't get Dee because he's had 5 surgeries, the Browns already cut a corner who couldn't stay healthy in Patterson, I don't want another rehash of that.

Exactly. This negativity is baloney. Want to know who was compared to Jason Taylor in the draft?

Demarcus Ware. That's who.

Bruce Irwin - go look his nfl draft profile up on nfl.com - his grade was "80". Go back and research - even Bruce Irwin "struggled to stay on

the field on non-passing downs" (that's from NFL.com draft profile on him).

Mingo's grade, same site? 92.8. Mingo is stout against the run, and is powerful despite his slender frame, which easily can add more bulk..

Wimbley? baloney. Goi back and look - Wimbley was only "good" off the snap, he had a significant lack of strength.
He was NOT explosive, NOT powerful. Mingo IS explosive and powerful. Wimbley in college, had a lot of troubles
with being stymied by tackles and TE's..... I never saw great instincts with Wimbley.
Mingo gets past them. Big difference. No similarity except size. Mingo is FAST and POWERFUL. Demarcus Ware needed to
get more moves.
Mingo is terrific in the flexibility dept, strength dept, speed dept, character dept (even coming from LSU), stout against the run dept,
I see a guy like Demarcus Ware who will scare the crap out of opposing qb's. That's what the Browns needed.

Well, this thread will be legendary one way or another.

Either I am a genius for screaming "No!" Before it actually happened...

Or I am forever known as the jackass who hated Mingo pick ....

Hoping and praying for Jackass.

Z

-- so what happens to Sheard?

What makes you think that anything you ever do in the future or in regard to this will ever dissipate your reputation as a jackass? :lol:

(or mine)

Let me start by saying I'm not a Mingo expert. I didn't really look much into the guy because it didn't seem he was on the Browns radar. Here's what I do know, and this is why the pick will pan out:

Let's look at the NFL. Whether you want to believe this or not, up and away the two most important positions are QB and DE. Without a franchise QB and solid pass rushers a team just doesn't win games. Furthermore, the one position in a 3-4 or any defense for that matter you can't have enough of is DE/OLB. If you look at the past 3-4 super bowl winning defenses, the commanilty is stunningly similar. Whether its GB, the Giants, the Ravens etc they were LOADED in the front 7 with depth. They also all won without a crazy athletic squad of DB's. I'm not going to go down the list of names but it's true. Pressure on the QB with 5-6 guys is essential to winning football games, period.

Next, the trend for the past 3-4 years is to draft these highly athletic, powerful DE prospects. Whether it de Aldon Smith, Bruce Irvin, Chandler Jones, etc it's obvious to see the trend. Of the three 'top' DE's in this draft, Mingo was arguably the best. Jordan hardly paid half the snaps at Oregon and had an injury. Ansah this time 2 years ago thought he was going to be the next Lebron James. Mingo had a productive career at a top SEC school. His stats weren't great this season but i'll get into that in a second. People are also saying he might not be an every down player yet. Again, I implore you to look at the above guys. They don't play every down yet but they sure are effective. Sheard will start and take the the pressure off Mingo to be every down guy right away.

So let's talk about stats. Anyone who says 'he only had 4.5 sacks and had bad games against Alabama' is in a word, stupid. To prove my point, let's look at the reigning defensive player of the year J.J. Watt. His college career stats were as follows in two years at Wisconsin:

Sacks: 11.5

INT: 1

FF: 3

Let's now look at Mingo's stats in a better conference over his final two seasons:

Sacks: 12.5

INT: O

FF: 2

What's that, their stats are similar? But wait, I thought stats were everything! Bottom line here guys is we have an extremely atheltic DE who will be able to develop behind guys. I don't get why anyone would be against a pick like that.

He is very much like Taylor, I agree. Similar stats, although Taylor was a consensus All American in college and Mingo was not.

Taylor was also a third round project DE, not a top 10 pick.

Do you see the point yet?

You don't take an undersized project pass rusher with minimal stats in the top 10. He would have made it to 11 or 12 and we could have gotten a second rounder in the process.

I don't believe Taylor was by any means a consensus All American. Jason Taylor played for Akron U. He was first team Mid-American Conference...but no All American honors to my knowledge.

Let me start by saying I'm not a Mingo expert. I didn't really look much into the guy because it didn't seem he was on the Browns radar. Here's what I do know, and this is why the pick will pan out:

Let's look at the NFL. Whether you want to believe this or not, up and away the two most important positions are QB and DE. Without a franchise QB and solid pass rushers a team just doesn't win games. Furthermore, the one position in a 3-4 or any defense for that matter you can't have enough of is DE/OLB. If you look at the past 3-4 super bowl winning defenses, the commanilty is stunningly similar. Whether its GB, the Giants, the Ravens etc they were LOADED in the front 7 with depth. They also all won without a crazy athletic squad of DB's. I'm not going to go down the list of names but it's true. Pressure on the QB with 5-6 guys is essential to winning football games, period.

Next, the trend for the past 3-4 years is to draft these highly athletic, powerful DE prospects. Whether it de Aldon Smith, Bruce Irvin, Chandler Jones, etc it's obvious to see the trend. Of the three 'top' DE's in this draft, Mingo was arguably the best. Jordan hardly paid half the snaps at Oregon and had an injury. Ansah this time 2 years ago thought he was going to be the next Lebron James. Mingo had a productive career at a top SEC school. His stats weren't great this season but i'll get into that in a second. People are also saying he might not be an every down player yet. Again, I implore you to look at the above guys. They don't play every down yet but they sure are effective. Sheard will start and take the the pressure off Mingo to be every down guy right away.

So let's talk about stats. Anyone who says 'he only had 4.5 sacks and had bad games against Alabama' is in a word, stupid. To prove my point, let's look at the reigning defensive player of the year J.J. Watt. His college career stats were as follows in two years at Wisconsin:

Let's now look at Mingo's stats in a better conference over his final two seasons:

What's that, their stats are similar? But wait, I thought stats were everything! Bottom line here guys is we have an extremely atheltic DE who will be able to develop behind guys. I don't get why anyone would be against a pick like that.

That's a great stat. Hopefully he pans out. What I worry about is his ability to bulk up. If he adds pounds, will he be able to maintain his athleticism?

It's pretty easy to see the Browns philosophy now. Pressure defense, and bodies to keep the pressure fresh. Character is a word that has popped up more than once with Banner, and that may mean no primadonnas. DB's jobs will be easier with pressure. Have a philosophy and stick with it. Let the coaches coach, and remember, that this is a new era in Browns history, and the recent past means nothing now.

It's not the Mingo had a bad year against Bama. He had a bad career against Bama. He registered 0 sacks and 13 tackles in 4 meetings.

Bama is the closest thing to an NFL caliber line that Mingo has ever played against, and they have consistently shut him out.

Watt also had 106 tackles in two years, whereas Mingo only registered 60 in his entire LSU career. I guess you just conveniently "forgot" that bit of information.

I don't believe Taylor was by any means a consensus All American. Jason Taylor played for Akron U. He was first team Mid-American Conference...but no All American honors to my knowledge.

He was All American in his junior year after two years of making All-MAC

It's not the Mingo had a bad year against Bama. He had a bad career against Bama. He registered 0 sacks and 13 tackles in 4 meetings.

Bama is the closest thing to an NFL caliber line that Mingo has ever played against, and they have consistently shut him out.

Watt also had 106 tackles in two years, whereas Mingo only registered 60 in his entire LSU career. I guess you just conveniently "forgot" that bit of information.

As per my other new thread, I think the key to this pick is the depth he provides on the front 7. With him on one side, Kruger on the other, Phil Taylor and Winn/Hughes/Bryant/Rubin clogging the middle.....who is the other team going to double team?

And as important as his pass rushing ability will have to be....do not discount the need for this OLB to have to play in pass coverage. His speed will be an important factor there.

Shit, with the Bengals getting Tyler Eifert and having Gresham there already, plus the likes of AJ Green and Sanu....this sucker may have to cover one of those tight ends.

Can he handle it? Maybe as good as any OLB they could have taken.

He was All American in his junior year after two years of making All-MAC

Honorable mention perhaps? I don't recall any hoopla about an Akron player making like first or second team All America.

(Irrelevent now...he is perhaps a borderline Hall of Famer)

As per my other new thread, I think the key to this pick is the depth he provides on the front 7. With him on one side, Kruger on the other, Phil Taylor and Winn/Hughes/Bryant/Rubin clogging the middle.....who is the other team going to double team?

And as important as his pass rushing ability will have to be....do not discount the need for this OLB to have to play in pass coverage. His speed will be an important factor there.

Shit, with the Bengals getting Tyler Eifert and having Gresham there already, plus the likes of AJ Green and Sanu....this sucker may have to cover one of those tight ends.

Can he handle it? Maybe as good as any OLB they could have taken.

That's exactly why I didn't like this pick. We already have two question marks at OLB. Kruger has never been an everydown backer and Sheard is making a transition. We would have been better served to find a good all around OLB instead of yet another guy with another pile of question marks attached to him. Can he cover well? Is he going to bulk up? If he does, how much speed will he lose? Is he going to learn pass rushing moves or just rely purely on his speed?

The fact that we now have 4 capable pass rushers is HUGE in this league when you have the Manning's and Brady's who can eat up almost any coverage.

You need to pressure those guys and with our rotation we will be able to do so consistently.

I don't know that we have 4 capable pass rushers yet. I was screaming for a long time to get a stud pass rusher, but wanted a proven one. People, Mingo did what Manti Teo did against Bama, he sucked ass. That's why Teo fell out of favor, he went up against the closest thing to an NFL line and looked like an idiot. I truly hope I'm wrong, but I see Jordan and Jones battling for defensive ROY, and me cussing the fact that we passed on Jones for Mingo for a long time

Archived