THE BROWNS BOARD

Paula Deen

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to midpark bub. Not great but a lot better than MLK and why? Because the students are better and more motivated and the parents care more and the teachers are better. Why? It's on a better neighborhood. But why don't teachers want to teach at MLK? Why are the students so poor? Why don't the parents do a better job? Could it all lead back to the culture of the dominant race of people who live in that district? Who votes down the school levies? Who doesn't care enough to demand better?

I went to midpark bub. Not great but a lot better than MLK and why? Because the students are better and more motivated and the parents care more and the teachers are better. Why? It's on a better neighborhood. But why don't teachers want to teach at MLK? Why are the students so poor? Why don't the parents do a better job? Could it all lead back to the culture of the dominant race of people who live in that district? Who votes down the school levies? Who doesn't care enough to demand better?

That wouldn't be my answer, but it's yours.

Heck. No matter what angle you come at this at I am correct in my assessment. I realize the language I've used is too frank for you to be able to agree so you've been trying like a champ to re-parse this into something that makes it look like I was wrong but you're not doing a very good job at it. Take no offense, its an impossible task.

We're not holding them down. They're holding each other down.

I don't find it to be an impossible task at all. Because chalking the disparity in income and test scores and crime and whatever else to "black culture" is woefully inadequate. Look, you don't want to be blamed for the disparities, and you're tired of being blamed. But I'm not blaming you. You didn't do anything to make anyone live in public housing. I'm not blaming your kids. They obviously didn't do anything. But that doesn't mean you're right.

You want it to be correct, and think proving you wrong is "an impossible task." So you're positive that you're right. Okay. But that's different from actually being right.

There are dozens and dozens of factors at play here. I wouldn't even say "culture" is high on the list.

PS - You can't be too frank for me. I like frank. But you can be too clumsy and poorly reasoned. You can over-generalize and miss the reality.

You've yet to dispute any of the reasons i've cited that proves statistically that they act poorly,. Your best answer thus far has been "Racism".

Let's take these seperately all right? I posted a couple of articles that disputed that racism is behind the much higher child abuse rates in the black community. So let's start there. Why are they more likely to abuse their children?

You've yet to dispute any of the reasons i've cited that proves statistically that they act poorly,. Your best answer thus far has been "Racism".

Let's take these seperately all right? I posted a couple of articles that disputed that racism is behind the much higher child abuse rates in the black community. So let's start there. Why are they more likely to abuse their children?

Can you find me a better phrase than "act poorly"? Because when you say black people act poorly in and out of their communities and that their culture is to blame it doesn't sound like you're talking about, say, abortion rates. It sounds like you're making a statement I could find on Stormfront.

And I've yet to mention racism as a reason for some of the disparities, though that is undoubtedly one of them, and yet you just said that's my best answer.

Look, you want to say that they're all to blame for their own lot, and that if they just changed their culture things would be better. I think that's beyond ridiculous, and that there's a dozens of complicated factors that feed into these disparities.

Once again, you've yet to answer any of my questions, probably because then you have to start admitting that there are structural and institutional barriers that you'd want to talk about long before you get to "black culture."

And sorry, but when I think "black culture" I think of "jazz."

The most significant factors in explaining just about any of these disparities are going to be income/poverty and education levels. When you control for other factors, and compare poor whites in situations similar to those of poor blacks (and this is not a large group, because poor whites and poor blacks generally differ in important ways) you're going to see most of these disparities go away. And what happens to your "culture" argument then?

More food ...for thought...@@

Another criticism of the Great Society is made by Libertarian economist Thomas Sowell, and his view is echoed by many. Sowell argues that the Great Society programs only contributed to the destruction of African-American families, saying "the black family, which had survived centuries of slavery and discrimination, began rapidly disintegrating in the liberal welfare state that subsidized unwed pregnancy and changed welfare from an emergency rescue to a way of life." Others disagree with this theory, arguing that Sowell discounts the long-term, cumulative damge of generations of slavery, discrimination and poverty on black culture. Sociologists such as Douglass Massey argue that the living conditions associated with very-low income neighborhoods cause the cultural changes Sowell observes.

Feminism and the Disintegration of Black Culture

Posted on May 11, 2012 by facetofloor

Feminism and the Disintegration of Black Culture

This is a snippet from a discussion on HP (which is pretty difficult to post on, for the “Politically Correct” fundamentalists are quick to pull down anything that don’t support the standard liberal line—so much for “tolerance”). This is in the context of a discussion about some statements made by James Peterson (a conservative Christian preacher) about the condition of black culture and the role feminism has had in its disintegration. The point of my posting here is to make Muslims aware that the Cultural Marxism (which is the standard tripe fed to folks on the college campuses) is no friend to the Muslims. Anyway, the following is my response with some additional comments:

As is typical in the Brave New World of Politically Correct Cultural Marxism, the sound points that Peterson made are drowned out by personal attacks and red herrings. The fact of the matter is that black America has been besieged by liberalism and that is the root of the moral disintegration and accelerated familial dissolution in black America over the past 40 years. It is enough to simply consider that 70% of black children are born out of wedlock (and that’s not to mention the percentage black babies CONCEIVED illegitimately). This uber-liberalism considers personal responsibility an anathema. Concepts, such as, integrity, honor, self-restraint, delayed gratification, modesty and virtue aren’t even part of the public discourse anymore. Instead, the problems black folks face are deflected upon white people… but white people are not causing blacks to have their astronomical illegitimacy rates. It’s not whites who force black males to murder each other at six times the rate of white males kill each other.

The problems black America face are not so much rooted in racism or poverty, as they are rooted in values (or the lack thereof). A person can be poor, a person can face racism and yet still be a pleasant, civil, and dignified human being. It is evident, for instance, in the lives of well-to-do rappers who in spite of their income they still live reprobate lifestyles, that the problems of black America are due to a want of morality and character—not a want of money. The normalization of black-trash culture and its promotion by the Cultural-Marxist media only degrade black people and degrade the society as a whole. African-American Muslims need to stand up against this madness, for we are the only ones left who truly can.

As for feminism, a disease of the mind that has infected the entire body of black culture, it is enough to see the following video to understand its nature and the agenda behind it:

Also see:

I'm really touched hearing about everyone's black living experience. I was in Army from 1971-1973, and in the Navy from 1976-1994. I've lived, eaten slept in close quarters and shit next to blacks. I've fought with them and seen them die. Some are good, some are bad. Same as whites. When I went in the Army in 1971 they would take anyone, didn't matter if you had a 4th grade education, they would take you. Some of the people could barely write their name. I do think that our government encourages laziness etc. buy making people think they are entitled to certain benefits because of their color, etc. You have to encourage people to strive to better themselves. That is one thing the military attempts to do through boot camp. I think some people are just born into a no win situation No father, or mother, or both. No one attempts to teach them or encourages them to learn and better themselves. They see easy money being made on the streets through drugs, etc. They basically barely know right from wrong. What is the solution? I have no idea. I know what is being done know sure as hell doesn't work.

"...But is it fair to blame the breakup of the black family entirely on welfare, Great Society or other?

Long before the Johnson administration, blacks had high rates of illegitimate birth and single-parent families. But illegitimacy began rising sharply in the 1960s.

Indeed, it was this steadily rising rate, along with a comparable rise in black single-parent households, that led to the publication of Daniel Patrick Moynihan’s controversial 1965 report on the travails of the black family in America.

Dinesh D’Souza, a scholar at the American Enterprise Institute, says that while minorities raise the cry of victimization too often, "There is something to the argument that there have been structures of segregation that have had a strong cultural impact (on blacks)."

But whatever the problems that blacks have suffered in the last half of the century, D’Souza said, "There’s no doubt that it’s become incomparably worse and the question is, ’What else (besides the welfare explosion) could have done it?’"

Sampson contends, however, that welfare is not as important a factor as a lot of people think it is. . . (Illegitimacy) rates have always been higher among blacks than whites."

The problem is "probably more rooted in the marginalization of black families," Sampson said. "The availability of men has always been lower in black communities than white ones," for a variety of reasons, including higher rates of murder and heart disease.

Sampson’s University of Chicago colleague, William Julius Wilson, author of The Truly Disadvantaged, is the major proponent of the theory that male joblessness breaks up families.

That idea has received fresh new political impetus from New York Gov. Mario Cuomo, who said recently, "It’s not welfare that threatens us, it’s a lack of jobs. It’s growing poverty. It’s a low-wage economy."

Indeed, the percentage of unemployed blacks males age 16-24 increased from about 17% in both 1960 and 1970 to more than 28% in 1980, dropping slightly to about 24% in 1990.

But Murray says that a better indicator than unemployment is labor force participation. Here, the rate dropped from about 74% of black males ages 16-24 in 1960 to 62% by 1980, with a further decline to 59% by 1990.

"The troubling reality," Murray writes, "is that a large proportion of young black males of prime working age are not even available for work."

Murray told Investor’s Business Daily that there is a connection between young black male unemployment and single-parent households.

But it’s not joblessness that’s causing the breakup. Rather, he says, the loss of families to the pull of welfare has led to a marginalization of the men who had headed those families.

Compare black male unemployment increases to what was happening in the rest of the country at the time, he says. In 1960, Murray notes, black youth unemployment was only 6.7 percentage points above that for whites. But by 1980 it was 15.4 points higher. ... "

Can you find me a better phrase than "act poorly"? Because when you say black people act poorly in and out of their communities and that their culture is to blame it doesn't sound like you're talking about, say, abortion rates. It sounds like you're making a statement I could find on Stormfront.

And I've yet to mention racism as a reason for some of the disparities, though that is undoubtedly one of them, and yet you just said that's my best answer.

Look, you want to say that they're all to blame for their own lot, and that if they just changed their culture things would be better. I think that's beyond ridiculous, and that there's a dozens of complicated factors that feed into these disparities.

Once again, you've yet to answer any of my questions, probably because then you have to start admitting that there are structural and institutional barriers that you'd want to talk about long before you get to "black culture."

And sorry, but when I think "black culture" I think of "jazz."

Ok I can say there is a higher percentage of murderers, rapists, violent offenders (other) child abusers, unwed mothers,abortions, and people living in public housing and on government subsidy in the black community thanany other racial community if you like. Id rather type "they act poorly"

You claim the statistics mean that they are arrested disproportionately for the crimes they commit. That means "racism" Where that arguement always fails however is that they actually do commit a disproportionately high amount of crimes for their population percentage.

I'm really touched hearing about everyone's black living experience. I was in Army from 1971-1973, and in the Navy from 1976-1994. I've lived, eaten slept in close quarters and shit next to blacks. I've fought with them and seen them die. Some are good, some are bad. Same as whites. When I went in the Army in 1971 they would take anyone, didn't matter if you had a 4th grade education, they would take you. Some of the people could barely write their name. I do think that our government encourages laziness etc. buy making people think they are entitled to certain benefits because of their color, etc. You have to encourage people to strive to better themselves. That is one thing the military attempts to do through boot camp. I think some people are just born into a no win situation No father, or mother, or both. No one attempts to teach them or encourages them to learn and better themselves. They see easy money being made on the streets through drugs, etc. They basically barely know right from wrong. What is the solution? I have no idea. I know what is being done know sure as hell doesn't work.

This is pretty well spot on.

trying again. I'd actually attended 7 schools between K through 12. 8 if you count the two days at Akron north before we went to norton, Norton was the last and rated at 8.

A blend of rural suburban and inner city.

Mom died young and and I actually went to some of those seven schools more than one stay

also remember that the 50's and 60's were before the black community really started to disintegrate. You can draw your own conclusions why. I have no idea what life would be like today had I enjoyed a stable childhood. I was blessed with a gift for music art and theatre and it sort of carried me through all the different situations.but I have never heard my living in the traditional sense so it's hard to say.I do believe that after leaving an inner city school and being placed in the stream when I got to Norton was a turning point. My English teacher thought I was gifted add me sure I was in a stream for junior and senior year.

WSS

Ok I can say there is a higher percentage of murderers, rapists, violent offenders (other) child abusers, unwed mothers,abortions, and people living in public housing and on government subsidy in the black community thanany other racial community if you like. Id rather type "they act poorly"

I think the first way is better. Much better. One is a reference to statistics, albeit a loaded one. The other one is a value judgment.

You claim the statistics mean that they are arrested disproportionately for the crimes they commit.

I didn't claim that. Even though it's often true, especially with regard to drug offenses.

That means "racism."

Not necessarily.

Where that arguement always fails however is that they actually do commit a disproportionately high amount of crimes for their population percentage.

No, the argument doesn't fail there because it's not based on denying the statistics. You keep imagining that people are denying the statistics, and this is some truth we can't handle. No, I'm suggesting that the inference you then make about "the black community" is overly broad and based on a small sample size, and that the causes of these disparities are far more complicated than the reason you give, which is "black culture."

Archived