THE BROWNS BOARD

Paula Deen

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And what's your explanation for that, Cysko, since there's no monolithic "black culture" that extends from Dakar to Detroit to the Dominican Republic.

I don't know. What's your explanation? Africa has world renowned terrible living conditions with the possible exception of South Africa.

And Cysko, if I showed you how black students have now caught up to where white students used to be in the 70s, how would you explain that? That their "black culture" has improved to the point of "white culture" in the 1970s?

With the terrific advances in technology we all enjoy it should be easier for them to make great strides in terms of information they receive. No shortage of iPhones in the ghetto.

With the terrific advances in technology we all enjoy it should be easier for them to make great strides in terms of information they receive. No shortage of iPhones in the ghetto.

Technology has got nothing to do with it. This is a 40 year slow march, long before anything like you're talking about.

Here, take a look. These are math scores for 9 year olds. You'll see that the achievement gap has shrunk somewhat, but not much, and that the black 9-year-olds score the same in 2008 as the white students did in 1973. So, there's improvement, but about a 40-year lag.

Now, if you think about a few hundred years of slavery, followed by another hundred years of segregation, Jim Crow, legal discrimination, etc., would black scores being 40 years behind white scores sound about right to you? Is that what you'd expect?

NAEP1-thumb-600x362.jpg

And does this mean their "culture" is improving?

Technology has got nothing to do with it. This is a 40 year slow march, long before anything like you're talking about.

Here, take a look. These are math scores for 9 year olds. You'll see that the achievement gap has shrunk somewhat, but not much, and that the black 9-year-olds score the same in 2008 as the white students did in 1973. So, there's improvement, but about a 40-year lag.

Now, if you think about a few hundred years of slavery, followed by another hundred years of segregation, Jim Crow, legal discrimination, etc., would black scores being 40 years behind white scores sound about right to you? Is that what you'd expect?

NAEP1-thumb-600x362.jpg

And does this mean their "culture" is improving?

No. If you're insinuating that their performance is due to slavery and segregation that's false. None of the black students in this country have ever dealt with those issues and in fact there's been an effort to try and give them advantages by hook or (mostly) by crook. If what you were insinuating were true they'd be several hundred years behind.

And yes, technology makes a vast difference. Don't be obtuse.

Heck translation:

"dammit, I keep losing these arguments, but I just come up with an

irrelevant graph and I act like I won. It beats admitting that I'm wrong..."

I am wondering what then makes black schools so sub standard? If all the teachers are union teachers and as we have the same educational requirements and background as any other school how can it be them? Is it the fact that the schools don't have swimming pools? That the architecture isnt pleasing? or does the general competency of the students add up to what makes a school bad? Because even though I have not seen the statistics the 10 or 15 percent of white students in those same schools are performing better as are the Asians Jews and Indians.

What is it about black people in poor schools that makes them worse than others in poor schools? and why has black performance and behavior DT reated so in the last few decades? And what, seriously, would be an explanation for predominantly black countries around the world?

WSS

I am wondering what then makes black schools so sub standard? If all the teachers are union teachers and as we have the same educational requirements and background as any other school how can it be them? Is it the fact that the schools don't have swimming pools? That the architecture isnt pleasing? or does the general competency of the students add up to what makes a school bad? Because even though I have not seen the statistics the 10 or 15 percent of white students in those same schools are performing better as are the Asians Jews and Indians.

What is it about black people in poor schools that makes them worse than others in poor schools? and why has black performance and behavior DT reated so in the last few decades? And what, seriously, would be an explanation for predominantly black countries around the world?

WSS

Partly due to home life.. No guidance...70% of blacks are born without fathers in the home.

The attitude persists that if a black desires getting good grades, he or she is accused of "acting white" by their peers.

The fact that immigrants that came after blacks..(and I'm not talking about the Ellis Island groups)..I'm talking about immigrants that arrived much later, such as the Vietnamese who came here not knowing a word of English, and without a penny to their name, have surpassed blacks by leaps and bounds.

The plight of blacks is through their own fault and no one elses. Instead of facing the shame in admitting to that, the easier route is to keep perpetuating "racism" and "victimhood" , such as the Zimmerman case. This is why Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson have a job.

Why do no other ethnic groups need "leaders"?

Sadly, men like Bill Cosby and black conservatives/Republicans who have made attempts at saving the black community from themselves are known as "Uncle Toms", "porch monkeys" or "sellouts".

CNN, btw, also "accidently" released Zimmerman's ...social security number.

Back in the early years, we called CNN the "communist news network".

Not much has changed since then...

I am very late coming to this party, Heck.

To me, this is more sublime than ridiculous.

I am not a Paula Dean fan, or not.

If she said, "N*****" she is like 99% of America's public.

I don't get all 'politically correct' about the word, "N*****" and neither should other people.

I work with a lot of black people and am beer-drinking friends with some of them. One time I worked at Hartford's outdoor music venue and I was in the minority.

I heard the work, "N*****" as much as I heard any other word. It came from Blacks. They apologized to me and I told them it didn't bother me one way or the other.

Why has Alec Baldwin been given a pass on his 'rant' but Paula Dean - maybe a quarter-century ago - used the word, "N*****"?

"N*****" "Red Neck" "Spic" "Nip" "Jew Boy"............................................people use words for a variety of reasons and under a number of circumstances.

Is this 'smart'? Probably not. Should this mean ruining a career that had had nothing to do with race? Double, probably not.

Screw Paula Dean and screw those who condemn her.

So I didn't realize one of the allegations against her came from describing waiters she wanted for a civil war plantation themed party where all of the staff would be black people in white suits and bowties....

lol

Who would think that's a good idea?

You're into Asians I get it, but their society still sucks. How many sweatshop fires this year?

With all the "white culture is the greatest " posts on here I felt like throwing in some competition.

I guess we have to include inbred rednecks as well?

3rd works Asian countries getting fucked by large corporations and taking the jobs they can get isn't really what I had in mind. More like the higher grades/intelligence, longer life's, etc.

Archived