THE BROWNS BOARD

Haslam/Farmer Post Season Presser

BaconHound

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I'm Farmer I'm telling the owner to give me the leeway to trade them all off. Gilbert should get the greater benefit of the doubt, but JF has just betrayed a trust the parameters of which he set himself earlier in the week. He broke his own parameters and Farmer/Pettine need to be able to deal for the very best trade they can make. Sure smooth it over in public if you wish, but make the trade down the road. It would actually be JF's best chance to get that kind of wakeup call that someone dislikes what he is doing so much that they are willing to let him go elsewhere. Gordon has had even more chances and is proving that he is just not a fit with this offense which is clearly not centered around him.

I'm for trading Gordon for whatever can be gotten for him, but with that said, Gordon's 23 and has proven to be an elite, game-changing player. Manziel is 22 and hasn't proven shit.

Agreed. Part of me is still willing to hang on to Gordon because of that elite level talent. Manziel on the other hand seems to just enable guys like Josh. My biggest fear in releasing/trading Gordon is that he goes somewhere like Baltimore where thugs flourish, gets his act together, and then begins destroying the Browns. Granted in the last two years he has really lost all my respect.

You can't dump first round picks after one season unless you want to tank your franchise for the next 10 years. You have to hit on them. They have to be given every chance to be successful.

The owner can make all the threats he wants but these young players would be snatched up quickly if they were let go. They are still young and you have to be patient with them and hope the light turns on.

Gordon is a different animal. I would have released him after his drug suspension. You can't trust him any longer.

Of course you can. The worst thing you can ever do is wait for the first round pick to come around. I can understand the need to wait for a prototypical QB that works hard with great physical attributes but this joker (Manziel) is anything but that. Why blow 2-3 years to acknowledge a mistake?

No. Dumping a shitty first round pick after one year sets you back a year. Forcing them into the lineup because you want to pretend the pick wasn't horrible can cost several more years.

Yup... kinda like Andy Dalton?

Not sure I'm comfortable with the responsibility of speaking for any of you. The difference between myself and a lot of you is that although I love the Browns and want them to win each and every week, its not something that pisses me off. The season was a fun one since we were actually relevant into December, only really played 1 truly stinker game and I think heading in the right direction. Whether we truly are heading in the right direction or not remains to be seen but I feel pretty good about the front office for the first time in a few years. Probably since Mangini...I thought he had us heading in the right direction as well.

LOL... be afraid, be very afraid...

We're pretty much in lockstep there, Mark. There is something to be said for impassionate analysis.

I agree...but if that's the case then the best thing would be to cut bait with him if the team/FO feels that he's not worth the distraction.

Given how young he is, I'd be shocked if we couldn't get even a 5th or 6th round pick for him. Maybe we could just trade him to the Rams for Bradford.

Sam's a pariah due to his contract, but I think Chip Kelly might be interested in a QB raised in an up tempo system.

In any case, if decisions been made to move on, delay if need be, but get what you can when you can and move on.

Sam's a pariah due to his contract, but I think Chip Kelly might be interested in a QB raised in an up tempo system.

In any case, if decisions been made to move on, delay if need be, but get what you can when you can and move on.

I'll take Nick Foles for Manziel and let him battle it out with Hoyer and Shaw.

That same guy also drafted Bitonio, West, Kirksey, Desir and signed both Shaw and Crowell.

But that's none of my business...

I said pretty much the same thing to Bacondufus. You have to look at the overall body of work. He is the prototypical glass half empty rain cloud. I agree the first rounders were dice rolls that came up snake eyes probably. Overall though it's the most talent we have gotten in a draft and UDFA's in a long time.

I said pretty much the same thing to Bacondufus. You have to look at the overall body of work. He is the prototypical glass half empty rain cloud. I agree the first rounders were dice rolls that came up snake eyes probably. Overall though it's the most talent we have gotten in a draft and UDFA's in a long time.

Not to mention players like Austin and Leonhard.

Pettine just said he wouldnt talk about the "3" today because it would be disrespectful to the guys wearing the uniform today...

tough words about those guys...sounds very pissed and indicated they wouldn't let them on the field today

The "3" sounds like a sci-fi movie about tiny aliens inhabiting the bodies of some of the Browns players.

On tonight's episode of the "3", armed security guards combed the countryside in search of the lost "3". The leader Mo was found unconcience in his pajamas while Larry turned up wearing the wrong jersey. Curly was finally located passed out in a limo near the Bearea training facility.

what makes you so sure they won't mess up the next draft also?

Did they really fuck up the draft?

Manziel was a real head scratcher, but if Gilbert decides he wants to start taking things seriously, he could turn it around. They also got an extra first round pick and hit on all the other picks. Bitonio, kirksey, west, desir. When you look at the draft from top to bottom and add in the UDFA class, this has to be the best offseason for the Browns in a long time. I know focusing only on first round picks and bitching is a lot more fun than not being a Retard, but c'mon man.

Time to take a step back folks. None of these guys is going to get cut. I also doubt we trade any of them, but I will admit that might be a possibility. Just depends on what happens and who might want them.

Gordon would be the first to go because his upside off sets his liability to some degree. Manziel has a long ways to go but it is too soon to say we know how that book will read.

Gilbert? I really don't understand his problem. He was a top rated corner and corners can usually make the transition pretty well. Maybe the money was his goal. Winning the lottery so to speak.

Of the three, Gilbert is my biggest disappointment. Everything pre draft pointed to him being a difference maker. I don't really blame Farmer for the pick. Had we not selected him when we did, one of the next 2-3 teams would have.

Johnny would be next, but we really haven't seen enough of a sample, though I will say I'd like to see a few less shots of him in Vegas and read more about him being in Berea as much as league rules allow.

I agree with you Peen , as I usually do.

I'm not ready to give up on Gilbert yet because his position seems to take a while to learn and with the new rules... I have no idea what type of character he has but take for example Buster Skrine. He's gotten better every year with less physical gifts.

WSS

If they keep these jokers they had better put the fear of God into them

"They're young kids. We're going to work with them -- hopefully they grow up. But if they can't grow up and they can't be responsible to their teammates and the coaches and our great fans, then they won't be with the Cleveland Browns."-Jimmy Haslam

Is that scary enough? He's more forgiving than I would be at this point, but I don't have $$ in this game either.

No I don't think it is. After all not being with the Cleveland Browns might sound like a reward to gordon and manziel. But if they leave they aren't going to get this sort of leeway anywhere else. Who's gonna give gordon a big contract with his track record? Johnny is already got more haters than anyone in the league. ANYWHERE he goes he's going to have to earn any respect he gets.

No I don't think it is. After all not being with the Cleveland Browns might sound like a reward to gordon and manziel. But if they leave they aren't going to get this sort of leeway anywhere else. Who's gonna give gordon a big contract with his track record? Johnny is already got more haters than anyone in the league. ANYWHERE he goes he's going to have to earn any respect he gets.

But the first time he wins a game here all the haters will be on their feet making the money sign. We have some fickle assholes around here. But as far as going elsewhere who can imagine Brian Hoyer being signed to a starting contract and being guaranteed he won't be benched if he has a rough patch of games? Who would suggest that outside of Cleveland Ohio?

WSS

Who's gonna give gordon a big contract with his track record? Johnny is already got more haters than anyone in the league. ANYWHERE he goes he's going to have to earn any respect he gets.

dont think anybody will give Gordon a big contract, BUT i do think someone will give him an incentive laden contract. Perform well and get paid well. Act like an ass and get paid like one too.

JFF will be just like Tebow. Even if he changes hands, there will be legions of fans who think he'll come around and the Browns just mishandled him. And there will be legions of fans who think he's a bust and a jerk. And that will never change until he is either GREAT or out of the league.

Archived