THE BROWNS BOARD

Farmer and Pettine both fired. Official

DieHardBrownsFan

Cleaning house seems plausible now: Get rid of Farmer/Pettine/JMZ. Start over.

What? You say the Browns can't do that? It is a sign of instability....just another "here we go again".

Well....we know the guys we have are shitty......so are we supposed to stick with shitty just for the sake of stability?

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's some things I'd like to know about Farmer since he's responsible for our personnel:

Who does he have working for him in the scouting dept?

How much does he weigh their time, energy and research?

Does he have enough scouts since 7 of 12 darftees came from 1 conference?

Does he know the difference between best football ahead vrs best football in the rear view mirror (ie; Dwayne Bowe)?

Another thing about our "scouting" dept that never gets mentioned......is the PRO scouting dept....

Yep.....all of the discussion centers around our college scouts and preparing for the draft.....but guess what???...

We have PRO scouts whose job it is to prepare pro reports for our coaches each week...so they can game plan....

(I hope no one thinks Pettine and Oneill are actually watching all the game tapes of next weeks opponent and scouting the opponents on their own)......

Nope....Pro scouts watch and prepare condensed scouting reports that the coaches use to get ready....and the coaches coach

A glaring example of where they hurt us would be the first Pittsburg game, where Wilbert Montgomery and Pettine were ripped for not being aware of some changes to Pittsburgs run defense....and we only gained 15 yards or so in that game.....and, man, did they get ripped for not knowing and not being prepared...

People were shocked....like how can ANY pro coach NOT know what kind of defense the opposing team uses...????

But....guess what?.....thats on the scouting dept and the info they brought to our coaches.....not Montgomery or Pettine...

So....who's to say this hasnt happened a lot?.....or that we just dont have a room full of lousy scouts, who cant rate college players OR analyze opposing teams?

An organization runs deep.....way deeper than the 4 guys everyone mentions all the time....GM, HC, OC, DC.....and the 50 other coaches and scouts have a huge influence on everything that happens too......and a new organization is not gonna be able to fill all those 50 jobs with 50 good people right out of the gate.....it takes years....

And if you start fresh every 2 years....it'll never be right....

So....along with finding a quality GM & quality HC....they will also have to find and hire 3 quality coordinators......20+ quality position coaches......a training and fitness staff......and about 30 quality pro & college scouts and administrators....

But....Im sure Haslem will nail it with all 50 of em.....(this time)......;)

Another thing about our "scouting" dept that never gets mentioned......is the PRO scouting dept....

Yep.....all of the discussion centers around our college scouts and preparing for the draft.....but guess what???...

We have PRO scouts whose job it is to prepare pro reports for our coaches each week...so they can game plan....

(I hope no one thinks Pettine and Oneill are actually watching all the game tapes of next weeks opponent and scouting the opponents on their own)......

Nope....Pro scouts watch and prepare condensed scouting reports that the coaches use to get ready....and the coaches coach

A glaring example of where they hurt us would be the first Pittsburg game, where Wilbert Montgomery and Pettine were ripped for not being aware of some changes to Pittsburgs run defense....and we only gained 15 yards or so in that game.....and, man, did they get ripped for not knowing and not being prepared...

People were shocked....like how can ANY pro coach NOT know what kind of defense the opposing team uses...????

But....guess what?.....thats on the scouting dept and the info they brought to our coaches.....not Montgomery or Pettine...

So....who's to say this hasnt happened a lot?.....or that we just dont have a room full of lousy scouts, who cant rate college players OR analyze opposing teams?

An organization runs deep.....way deeper than the 4 guys everyone mentions all the time....GM, HC, OC, DC.....and the 50 other coaches and scouts have a huge influence on everything that happens too......and a new organization is not gonna be able to fill all those 50 jobs with 50 good people right out of the gate.....it takes years....

And if you start fresh every 2 years....it'll never be right....

So....along with finding a quality GM & quality HC....they will also have to find and hire 3 quality coordinators......20+ quality position coaches......a training and fitness staff......and about 30 quality pro & college scouts and administrators....

But....Im sure Haslem will nail it with all 50 of em.....(this time)......;)

From what I've read, neither Farmer or anyone from the Browns scouting dept made contact with Justin Gilbert until after he was drafted. Somebody is not doing their due diligence in the FO.

I would sure hope so. That's what everyone on this side of the lake is hoping for, and it could definitely happen within 48 hours..

Rex is visibly deflated and for the first time, contrite.. Probably very temporary though..

Our GM is solid. The current DC made a mess of the defensive signal calling, and the players all loved Pettine.

Any GM rumors out there?

If it comes down to it a job is a job, but not often you see a NFL coach retrace his steps... and back into Rex's shadow to boot? Not feeling that...

GM-wise there's Ron Wolf's kid, Eliot... supposedly with Daddy Wolf leading the way in some kind of special advisory role.

...or that we just dont have a room full of lousy scouts, who cant rate college players OR analyze opposing teams?

Dammit... lousy scouting is our job!

My Bottom Line: I fire Farmer...

As pointed out above ultimately the talent decisions are his. I hated his weird, mid-year presser and all of its movie references. I hated his portrayal of every personnel decision being mutually agreed by all. That's not owning his job... his responsibility. Consensus building is not what earns him his paycheck.

This^^^^ Well said T. If Jimmy knows anything about owning a football organization this "We" should put Farmers nails in his own coffin. Farmer now would look more of a fool to throw Jimmy in "We" for text gate after owning up to it. But?

Actually pet should get some blame for that. I mean he brought in his buddy, right? He can't sit down with him and get the shit together?

WSS

Yep he is accountable for his staff selections - but if he recognizes there's a problem and fixes it it's not the worst thing in the world.

This^^^^ Well said T. If Jimmy knows anything about owning a football organization this "We" should put Farmers nails in his own coffin. Farmer now would look more of a fool to throw Jimmy in "We" for text gate after owning up to it. But?

Nothing special about a football organization in this case, gum... same in business... where I continue to believe/hold-out hope that Jimmah knows near as much as a man of his position should know.

Yep he is accountable for his staff selections - but if he recognizes there's a problem and fixes it it's not the worst thing in the world.

My point is that he's a defensive coordinator as well and should be able to call on your side and say hey let's do this or let's do that. Just firing the guy isn't that tough. Putting the defense back on track is.

WSS

Take your guess whose fired pettine farmer or both? Also predict when firing will happen!

MY prediction both are fired by 6 pm sunday night

Merged yours with the one that was already there.

Certainly sounds like they're both gone...

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2016/01/browns_mike_pettine_and_ray_fa.html

http://thescore.com/nfl.news/926358

Well, its pretty much over. Now on to who will be the new guys in town.

Any guesses?

Who needs Black Monday when we have Sunken Sunday - on and off the field.

Groundhog Day - hopefully this time we get the right guys, and by the law of averages, even we can't always pick the wrong guys every time...... Sooner or later we'll screw up and pick the right guys.

Pettine and the coaches are gone. The new regime should go back to the 4-3 defense and start letting players develop instead of letting them walk.

The new regime better draft impact players- not projects! If Farmer stays I will tweet him every time Khalil Mack gets another sack he has 15 thru 15 games!

Draft Joey Bosa, Zeke Elliot and two wide receivers! Then draft Cardale Jones. I also heard it "through the Grapevine" that Peyton Manning will be coming along with Gase. So let Manning be a role model for Jones!

Whoever they hire must have vision for the present as well as the future. Pettine had tunnel vision and was a stubborn ass!

The Browns plan to move on from general manager Ray Farmer and head coach Mike Pettine after Sunday’s season finale, a Cleveland.com report Saturday said.

The report by Mary Kay Cabot quoted sources as saying team owner Jimmy Haslam is inclined to “blow things up” and has already begun seeking out replacements. Though this is the first sourced report of such moves happening — Cabot wrote that interviews with potential replacements could begin as soon as Sunday night — neither move would be a surprise.

The Browns went 7-9 last year in Pettine’s first season but lost their final five games. They’re 3-12 headed into Sunday’s game vs. the Steelers and have won once since October.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/02/report-browns-will-fire-coach-gm/

Doesn't this annual ritual give you a headache? Mary Kay also said that Adam Gase and Peyton Manning might be coming to town.

I can't see Manning a Brown. Not after his stellar career. Can you imagine a forty year old quarterback wanting to start anew with another team? I can't! Unless Mary Kay means as a coach or something. How about Manning as " Football Guru" in charge of moral and confident to Haslam!

Time will tell

Is this the 2016 Prediction Thread?

I predict Jim Brown will be our new GM. JIM BROWN will hire Doug Marrone as HC, Jim Shwartz as defensive coordinator, Peyton Manning as Offensive Coorinator

I want Greg Schiano but he went to Ohio State

Agreed.....

Its exhausting just thinking of the alternative. I might even have to go back on sabitical, if they start over.....again.....

Well Mud- it looks like a blowout against the Steelers (likely) is going to result in a blowup. :(

Well as fast as this is moving sounds like the Elliott Wolfe plan is on? Got a coaches Tree? Holmgren & Shurmer our out? Does Wolfe bring his guy or is the dreaded coaching search on? Tom Clements of ND fame anyone?

Archived