THE BROWNS BOARD

Pettine & Farmer fired what's next?

hoorta

When Carson Palmer is being compare to Ryan Fitzpatrick and Josh Mccown, I gotta go

you wouldn't consider them all journeyman vets? all had good seasons this year, stat wise.

Palmer is overrated as well, hot and cold.

but when he's on he's definitely a threat.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you wanted the gm and hc back for another 3-13 season...jeeeeeez....good lord...oh and by the way, e manning has multiple superbowl victories and flacco has 1 so far...you are calling them overated...you need a shrink...

don't be a schmuck they're not top tier. besides Superbowls are for sale and rings are not as much of an endorsement as most like to claim.

3-13 and leading the league in concussions, losing 4 defensive starters to free agency, on our 4th starting QB, lost 3 games on the last play, several more were winnable...

i just wanted some offensive continuity. no to O'Neal and honestly I was just giving the GM and HC a warm goodbye on the off chance they may read this board in between vacations...

name the game EM put the team on his back and carried them. EM and especially Flacco played near mistake free on their SB runs, not the same thing. more than managers but not clutch playmaking superstars like Brady, Big B, Brees, Rodg, Cam...

not trying to defend Matt Ryan etc? cherry pick deez nuts.

I actually think a stickied appreciation thread for the recently released staff is a good idea. There is a good chance they do read this forum or will in the off months. I'm sure pettine and farmer and other staff are pretty bummed they failed the goals they had set out. I'm sure they did the best they could and tried to give'em hell. But it just wasn't meant to be. Maybe if the browns fan community showed some compassion...well hell guys we may even make someone's day a bit better. End of the day guys the team wins and all of the Brown's players/coaches/shareholders/suits/owner and finally the fans rejoice and have lifted spirits...and when we lose we all share the defeated feeling... Point being a thread that shows we can lose and still support our team and it's coaches and players may just show why cleveland fans are the most loyal fans in the nation. I Think the human element has gone unappreciated and unnoticed in cleveland for too long.

I dunno fella's seems like the right thing to do.

Sure, hire a guy that will walk out on the team.

Keep in mind that he exercised an option placed in the contract because the ownership of the team was in flux.

Now ask yourself if you should use that cudgel against Joe Thomas who's not sure he wants to come back after another regime change.

WSS

Here's Peter King's opinion for whatever that's worth.....

Cleveland

Adam Gase, offensive coordinator, Chicago

One of the whip-smartest play designers and callers, and he’s probably ready for a head-coaching job. I think he’d be a perfect three- to five-year mentor for the quarterback the Browns are sure to draft with the second pick on April 28. (I say three- to five-year mentor, because owner Jimmy Haslam won’t be able to be cavalier with his firing this time.) Another consideration: Not that he would come, but if I were Haslam I’d at least call Kirk Ferentz, the Iowa coach and former Browns aide, to see if the rock-solid Ferentz would ever leave Iowa City.

@WSSteve (my reply button doesn't work on my work computer)

I have no issue with Marrone leaving the Bills when he did, it was actually pretty smart. My issue is the manner in which he left, he sent out a mass text message after the news had already broke about his departure.

It was when he was HC at Syracuse, was when he left with one game left on the schedule.

I actually think a stickied appreciation thread for the recently released staff is a good idea. There is a good chance they do read this forum or will in the off months. I'm sure pettine and farmer and other staff are pretty bummed they failed the goals they had set out. I'm sure they did the best they could and tried to give'em hell. But it just wasn't meant to be. Maybe if the browns fan community showed some compassion...well hell guys we may even make someone's day a bit better. End of the day guys the team wins and all of the Brown's players/coaches/shareholders/suits/owner and finally the fans rejoice and have lifted spirits...and when we lose we all share the defeated feeling... Point being a thread that shows we can lose and still support our team and it's coaches and players may just show why cleveland fans are the most loyal fans in the nation. I Think the human element has gone unappreciated and unnoticed in cleveland for too long.

I dunno fella's seems like the right thing to do.

A lot of these guys.....at least Pettine....are going to continue to be paid well for sitting on their keisters. So the tea and sympathy for them is going to be in short supply from me... as, apparently, according to you, they will be doing the same thing as me....sitting on their keister griping about the Browns on this forum.....but getting paid lots of money to do so.

Forget it.

Sorry didn't realise this was the appreciation thread! I've been of the view all along that Pettine should stay to see how year 3 panned out, along with most of the coaching staff. Clearly the discord between FO and coaches needed sorting out, but I have always regarded our HC as needing more than 2 years before their influence on the squad/tactics is much clearer. Pettine was a hard working, honourable guy whose efforts to turn around our franchise I have appreciated and thank him for it, along with any other coaches that are sacked and those who remain. I wish Pettine all the best in the future.

However, I refuse to stop believing and being positive just because of another regime change, so I intend to be just as supportive of the new guys coming in.

Here's Peter King's opinion for whatever that's worth.....

Cleveland

Adam Gase, offensive coordinator, Chicago

One of the whip-smartest play designers and callers, and he’s probably ready for a head-coaching job. I think he’d be a perfect three- to five-year mentor for the quarterback the Browns are sure to draft with the second pick on April 28. (I say three- to five-year mentor, because owner Jimmy Haslam won’t be able to be cavalier with his firing this time.) Another consideration: Not that he would come, but if I were Haslam I’d at least call Kirk Ferentz, the Iowa coach and former Browns aide, to see if the rock-solid Ferentz would ever leave Iowa City.

I would put them all together. King-- master scout. Gase--HC ( jimmy better have strings from Peyton with this roster set-up to fail awhile) & Ferentz OC can do what he did before & fix whatever OL line we got left.

I would put them all together. King-- master scout. Gase--HC ( jimmy better have strings from Peyton with this roster set-up to fail awhile) & Ferentz OC can do what he did before & fix whatever OL line we got left.

Ferentz isn't leaving a HC job at Iowa to come here and be the offensive coordinator.

So.....whether you think he's highly committed, or not.....Haslem has basically done what Lerner did.....hire and hand off....

Except he hasn't "handed-off"... With the Podesta hire he has put himself even more in the middle.

Except he hasn't "handed-off"... With the Podesta hire he has put himself even more in the middle.

Right, he has Sashi and the hc that will answer to Jerry, er jimmy plus whoever else. I kinda hope Dee gets more involved in this. She actually has a few good brain cells and not afraid of ole whatsisname

2 more FO people were fired today.

Bill Kuharic and Morroco Brown were giving their walking papers.

Well Kuharich was pretty competent with the Chiefs.

A lot of these guys.....at least Pettine....are going to continue to be paid well for sitting on their keisters. So the tea and sympathy for them is going to be in short supply from me... as, apparently, according to you, they will be doing the same thing as me....sitting on their keister griping about the Browns on this forum.....but getting paid lots of money to do so.

Forget it.

Exactly Gip.

At least Haslam is going from the top first rebuilding. I can truthfully say I dont really know who they are yet but changes are coming. This explains why he was so silent through all this mess. Hold people accountable and put the right front office in place. That's what I wanted to begin with. Now let the dominos fall it can't be any worse than this last season.

Maybe going forward.....but I feel like he did last year(which is what I referencing)....in that he hired 2 guys and then basically disappeared....

And based upon what we're hearing, those 2 guys couldnt resolve their issues, which hurt the team and cost them their jobs....

So....Id only ask if he didnt hand off and go away....where was he and why wasnt some type of corrective action taken during the season?

I know its a fine line between being involved and meddling....but I do think the owner has to be involved to the point that his staff is working together, etc....and in more than a weekly or monthly update type of way....

I think we're in agreement, Mud...

My point was that Jimmah was the focal point between Pat and Farmer, two of his three direct reports, and looked to have done nothing on any continuing basis to see that they worked together. If anything the distinct lines of responsibility he drew going into their year 2 promoted less cooperation.

And now, rather than set up a true POFO as Gip proposed, he has a VPOFO reporting to him along with the HC and the CSO (Chief Strategy Officer) plus, I guess, Alec Scheiner(?), who a month ago was reportedly "gaining power"??? He's even undermined his mediator by giving him a reporting stake in the form of the ScoutMaster General.

Jimmah clearly does not want to give up control, but if he, as we suspect he has, continues to also not want to get involved the mess is still there.

And if he does "get involved" then there's the danger you wrote about of him poisoning the process.

Or everything could be great...

One chance in three... I hope the odds are that good.

I read/heard a different take about the firings, and maybe this was mentioned earlier in the thread. I read that this firing was really about analytics in that Pettine and Farmer butted heads with Sashi Brown and Scheiner over the use of it. We know analytics said to draft Bridgewater and Farmer ignored it. My guess is they ignored a lot of other analytics and Brown and the other analytics guys in Berea showed Haslem how their their analytics were right and Pettine and Farmer were wrong about a lot of things.

Now we see the team going full steam ahead into analytics with those two gone.

So what kind of time frame are we looking at for a new coach...by the end of feb, or sooner, or wait until 2 weeks before the draft.

Depends - some of the guys we want to talk to are in the playoffs. We're talking to Hue Jackson/Guenther Sunday it seems like (probably in Cincinnatti I would imagine). We want to talk to Patricia but I haven't seen us schedule anything yet - if we don't do it this week then we have to wait until NE is eliminated.

I read/heard a different take about the firings, and maybe this was mentioned earlier in the thread. I read that this firing was really about analytics in that Pettine and Farmer butted heads with Sashi Brown and Scheiner over the use of it. We know analytics said to draft Bridgewater and Farmer ignored it. My guess is they ignored a lot of other analytics and Brown and the other analytics guys in Berea showed Haslem how their their analytics were right and Pettine and Farmer were wrong about a lot of things.

Interesting take that would make Pettine Art Howe...

Issue is of course that Farmer was allowed to ignore the QB report.

And the take leaves me wondering where the analytics sticking-point was with Pet since he did not play JM???

So what kind of time frame are we looking at for a new coach...by the end of feb, or sooner, or wait until 2 weeks before the draft.

Whoever it is, I'd give the over & under at 18 months before everyone wants him fired.

Depends - some of the guys we want to talk to are in the playoffs. We're talking to Hue Jackson/Guenther Sunday it seems like (probably in Cincinnatti I would imagine). We want to talk to Patricia but I haven't seen us schedule anything yet - if we don't do it this week then we have to wait until NE is eliminated.

well bb grossi says he likes the net Jonah Hill has thrown in this coaching search compared to haslam's last search. Confirmed done interviews. Marrone, Gase, DC lions Teryl Austin & DB coach dallas Jerome Henderson. Up this Sunday is going to Cinn. to interview Cinn. OC Hue Jackson & DC Paul Guenther than travel to Charlotte with DC S. McDermott. If all else fails this weekend it will be Paul Depo to pull his NY strings to get to Pats. DC Patrica. You maybe right on this guy. The way I read it, He Fits FO.

well bb grossi says he likes the net Jonah Hill has thrown in this coaching search compared to haslam's last search. Confirmed done interviews. Marrone, Gase, DC lions Teryl Austin & DB coach dallas Jerome Henderson. Up this Sunday is going to Cinn. to interview Cinn. OC Hue Jackson & DC Paul Guenther than travel to Charlotte with DC S. McDermott. If all else fails this weekend it will be Paul Depo to pull his NY strings to get to Pats. DC Patrica. You maybe right on this guy. The way I read it, He Fits FO.

MKC & Grossi both tweeted that the Browns are not scheduled to interview Guenther. Not saying they won't...he's just not scheduled.

Archived