THE BROWNS BOARD

Camp Cook

The Gipper

Gee, lets see....Didn't the Denver Broncos just win a Super Bowl doing that? (Oh...but that is no plan for the Browns to follow) Doh!

That's the most important tenant of playing NFL defense. And has been long before the Broncos won the Super Bowl because of it.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's the most important tenant of playing NFL defense. And has been long before the Broncos won the Super Bowl because of it.

Well we're about to see if the analytics guys come to the same conclusion or if they try to get a pitcher.................err QB. :P

• 1 month later...

I don't see Cook being available to us in the second round. I know that just about all of the mock drafts say he will, but something tells me the Broncos will snap him up with the last pick of the first. To me, he makes the most sense for them. Believe it or not, I think Wentz might actually slide. I could see the Rams taking Cook over Wentz because they need a guy right NOW. In many drafts, a QB can slide pretty far down if he makes it by the initial "QB hungry teams". The real question to me is, if Wentz begins to slide, to we make a move to get back into the first round? I would severely doubt it, but we'll see.

We've all heard the comments about Cook, and how it appears he wasn't a leader and all that, but how much do we really know about the guy? Is this all conjecture and bullshit? I would say where there's smoke there is fire, but has Cook been in trouble off the field? Does he have any of those red flags? I honestly don't know much about the guy, but what I've seen regarding his ability to play football, he seems like a player.

I don't see Cook being available to us in the second round. I know that just about all of the mock drafts say he will, but something tells me the Broncos will snap him up with the last pick of the first. To me, he makes the most sense for them. Believe it or not, I think Wentz might actually slide. I could see the Rams taking Cook over Wentz because they need a guy right NOW. In many drafts, a QB can slide pretty far down if he makes it by the initial "QB hungry teams". The real question to me is, if Wentz begins to slide, to we make a move to get back into the first round? I would severely doubt it, but we'll see.

We've all heard the comments about Cook, and how it appears he wasn't a leader and all that, but how much do we really know about the guy? Is this all conjecture and bullshit? I would say where there's smoke there is fire, but has Cook been in trouble off the field? Does he have any of those red flags? I honestly don't know much about the guy, but what I've seen regarding his ability to play football, he seems like a player.

OK, I'm going to chime in on this one, I've worked with Connor Cook's mom for over 25 years, she's been involved in Connor's football career his whole life, and I have followed him at the Green and White..... This kid is squeaky clean, With what I know, I would have no problem with him being the face of any franchise. If you watched him play as I have over his 3 years as a starter, there's no way he's not a leader of men. Alot of what you hear is all about money and to set the order of the draft, This kid is a winner both on an off the field... Goff and Wentz are grabbing all the head lines but Connor is as good as both of them, The team that draft's Connor is going to get the sleeper QB in this draft....

no, Conner Cook is second tier vs Goff and Wentz.

He doesn't have off the field red flags, he just isn't an elite qb prospect.

Here's a nice article about the good and not so good about Conner Cook

on the field.

I think he is more a mid 2nd round pick at best, just my opinion.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2610727-quarterback-connor-cook-is-most-polarizing-player-in-2016-nfl-draft#

no, Conner Cook is second tier vs Goff and Wentz.

He doesn't have off the field red flags, he just isn't an elite qb prospect.

Here's a nice article about the good and not so good about Conner Cook

on the field.

I think he is more a mid 2nd round pick at best, just my opinion.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2610727-quarterback-connor-cook-is-most-polarizing-player-in-2016-nfl-draft#

ESPN was discussing him- Knocks are completion % and accuracy.

Jon Gruden just said on ESPN that Michigan State's Connor Cook "is gonna be the best QB in this draft."

I saw that during the above. :)

I don't like Cook for many reasons, some I have already said. Plus his arm strength is poor.

Know how many QBs have succeeded with a bad arm? Not many.

Cook is now expected to take a major drop down the draft boards after registering a 50mph velocity at the combine. He had the weakest arm out of any QB at the combine.

In comparison Kellen Moore threw a 52 mph ball at the combine.

Michigan State's Connor Cook registered a velocity measurement of just 50 miles per hour on the radar gun at the NFL Combine.
Paxton Lynch (59 MPH), Jared Goff (58), and Carson Wentz (57) all exhibited strong velocity at the Combine. Per Rotoviz's Jon Moore via Ourlads' Dan Shonka, Cook's miles-per-hour measurement was the weakest of all quarterbacks invited to Indianapolis. Cook also opted out of the Senior Bowl, which is where NFL scouts assess throwing strength live. A big-named passer in college, Cook is likely headed for a draft-day plunge. And there are several additional red flags on Cook not related to his underwhelming passing ability.

I don't like Cook for many reasons, some I have already said. Plus his arm strength is poor.

Know how many QBs have succeeded with a bad arm? Not many.

Cook is now expected to take a major drop down the draft boards after registering a 50mph velocity at the combine. He had the weakest arm out of any QB at the combine.

In comparison Kellen Moore threw a 52 mph ball at the combine.

Michigan State's Connor Cook registered a velocity measurement of just 50 miles per hour on the radar gun at the NFL Combine.

Paxton Lynch (59 MPH), Jared Goff (58), and Carson Wentz (57) all exhibited strong velocity at the Combine. Per Rotoviz's Jon Moore via Ourlads' Dan Shonka, Cook's miles-per-hour measurement was the weakest of all quarterbacks invited to Indianapolis. Cook also opted out of the Senior Bowl, which is where NFL scouts assess throwing strength live. A big-named passer in college, Cook is likely headed for a draft-day plunge. And there are several additional red flags on Cook not related to his underwhelming passing ability.

Do you know how fast some current or former NFL QBs have thrown the ball?

Do you know how fast some current or former NFL QBs have thrown the ball?

Year: 2016

Paxton Lynch, Memphis 59

Jared Goff, California 58

Carson Wentz, North Dakota State 57

Christian Hackenberg, Penn State 56

Joel Stave, Wisconsin 56

Jacoby Brissett, North Carolina State 56

Josh Woodrum, Liberty 56

Cody Kessler, Southern Cal 55

Brandon Allen, Arkansas 55

Trevone Boykin, TCU 55

Dak Prescott, Mississippi State 54

Nate Sudfeld, Indiana 54

Kevin Hogan, Stanford 53

Brandon Doughty, Western Kentucky 53

Vernon Adams, Oregon 53

Jeff Driskel, Louisana Tech 52

Connor Cook, Michigan State 50

Cardale Jones, Ohio State, Did not throw

Bryan%20Benentt.png

Bryan Bennett, SE Louisiana

Year: 2015

Bryan Bennett, SE Louisiana 60

Sean Mannion, Oregon State 57

Brandon Bridge, South Alabama 57

Marcus Mariota, Oregon 56

Anthony Boone, Duke 56

Jameis Winston, Florida State 55

Cody Fajardo, Nevada 55

Bryce Petty, Baylor 53

Brett Hundley, UCLA 53

Shane Carden, East Carolina 52

Jerry Lovelocke, Prairie View A&M 51

Nick Marshall, Auburn 50

Blake Sims, Alabama 42

Garrett Grayson, Colorado State, Did not throw

Connor Halliday, Washington State, Did not throw

Jimmy-Garoppolo-for-blog3-300x163.jpg

Jimmy Garoppolo – 2014

YEAR: 2014

Logan Thomas, Virginia Tech 60
Stephen Morris, Miami 59
Tom Savage, Pittsburgh 57
Blake Bortles, Central Florida 56
Jimmy Garoppolo, Eastern Illinois 56
Jeff Mathews, Cornell 56
Keith Wenning, Ball State 56
Jordan Lynch, Northern Illinois 55
Tajh Boyd, Clemson 54
Bryn Renner, North Carolina 54
David Fales, San Jose State 53
AJ McCarron, Alabama 53
Dustin Vaughan, West Texas A&M 53
Connor Shaw, South Carolina 50
Teddy Twatwater, Louisville – Did not throw
Derek Carr, Fresno State – Did not throw
Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M – Did not throw
Zach Mettenberger, LSU – Did not throw
Aaron Murray, Georgia – Did not throw

Geno%20Smith.png

Geno Smith – 2013

YEAR: 2013
Tyler Bray, Tennessee 59
Zac Dysert, Miami (OH) 59
James Vandenberg, Iowa 57
Ryan Nassib, Syracuse 56
Bradley Sorensen, Southern Utah 56
Geno Smith, West Virginia 55
Tyler Wilson, Arkansas 55
EJ Manuel, Florida State 54
Matthew Scott, Arizona 54
Landry Jones, Oklahoma 53
Collin Klein, Kansas State 52
Colby Cameron, Louisiana Tech 51
Marqueis Gray, Minnesota 51
Michael Glennon, North Carolina State 49
Matt Barkley, Southern Cal – Did not throw
Sean Renfree, Duke – Did not throw

Brandon%20Weeden.jpg

Brandon Weeden – 2012

YEAR: 2012
Brandon Weeden, Oklahoma State 59
Kirk Cousins, Michigan State 59
Austin Davis, Southern Mississippi 58
Nick Foles, Arizona 57
Chandler Harnish, Northern Illinois 57
Jordan Jefferson, LSU 57
Russell Wilson, Wisconsin 55
Casey Keenum, Houston 55
Patrick Witt, Yale 54
Darron Thomas, Oregon 53
Ryan Lindley, San Diego State 52
Kellen Moore, Boise State 52
Jacory Harris, Miami 50
Aaron Corp, Richmond 50
BJ Coleman, Tennessee-Chattanooga Did not throw
Robert Griffin III, Baylor Did not throw
Andrew Luck, Stanford Did not throw
Brock Osweiler, Arizona State Did not throw
Ryan Tannehill, Texas A&M Did not throw
Andy-Dalton-3-300x200.jpg

Andy Dalton 2011

YEAR: 2011
Colin Kaepernick, Nevada 59
Ryan Mallett, Arkansas 58
Patrick Devlin, Delaware 56
Andy Dalton, TCU 56
Cam Newton, Auburn 56
Scott Tolzien, Wisconsin 55
Nathan Enderle, Idaho 54
Jake Locker, Washington 54
TJ Yates, North Carolina 52
Christian Ponder, Florida St 51
Ricky Stanzi, Iowa 50
Tyrod Taylor, Va Tech 50
Greg McElroy, Alabama Did not throw
Blaine Gabbert, Missouri Did not throw
John%20Skelton.jpg

John Skelton 2010

YEAR: 2010
Levi Brown, Troy 56
Colt McCoy, Texas 56 (Did not throw at Combine. Throw was recorded at a private workout with a Radar Gun & Computer Chip in Ball.
Max Hall, BYU 52
Tim Hiller, Western Michigan 52
Michael Kafka, Northwestern 52
Zac Robinson, Oklahoma St. 52
Jevan Snead, Mississippi 52
Sean Canfield, Oregon St. 51
Jarrett Brown, West Virginia 50
John Skelton, Fordham 50
Dan LeFevour, Central Michigan 49
Tony Pike, Cincinnati 49
Armanti Edwards, Appalachian St. 46.5
Sam Bradford, Oklahoma Did not throw
Jimmy Clausen,Notre Dame Did not throw
Jonathan Crompton, Tennessee Did not throw
Tim Tebow, Florida Did not throw
Josh%20Freeman.jpg

Josh Freeman 2009

YEAR: 2009
John Wilson Parker, Alabama 58
Mike Reilly, Central Washington 58
Drew Willy, Buffalo 58
Mark Sanchez, Southern Cal 57
Josh Freeman, Kansas State 57
Chase Daniels, Missouri 57
Nate Davis, Ball State 56
Curtis Painter, Purdue 56
Rhett Bomar, Sam Houston State 55
Tom Brandstetter, Fresno State 53
Cullen Harper, Clemson 53
Stephen McGee, Texas A & M 53
Graham Harrell, Texas Tech 52
Pat White, West Virginia 52
Matt Stafford, Georgia Did not throw
Joe%20Flacco.jpg

Joe Flacco 2008

YEAR 2008:
Paul Smith, Tulsa 57
Joe Flacco, Delaware 55
Kevin O’Connell, San Diego St 55
Brian Brohm, Louisville 53
Chad Henne, Michigan 53
Erik Ainge, Tennessee 52
John David Booty, Southern Cal 51
Matt Flynn, LSU 50
Josh Johnson, San Diego 49
Colt Brennan, Hawaii 44
Dennis Dixon, Oregon Did not throw
Matt Ryan, Boston College Did not throw
Andre Woodson, Kentucky Did not throw

Connor Shaw, Ricky Stanzi and Tyrod Taylor are the most notable players to hit just 50 MPH since 2008. Not a great group to be in

I asked a follow-up to the author (Dan Shonka, owner of Ourlads scouting)

Is there a separate drill designed to test velocity, or are speeds taken during different drills?

Mar 2
4cawMSnn_200x200.jpg

Mike, The QBs throw out cuts to their right and then to the left. The radar gun records their peak speed in both directions. The ball is thrown to a standing receiver

I asked the question because I wanted to know if they were throwing at a moving target, or if they were able to wind-up and uncork it. This drill is intended for players to get maximum velocity/torque...

Cook has a noodle arm, like I thought after watching all his tape. Hard pass for me

As a HS football scout this is LOL Gold. Gip, these scouts have got all the info anybody would need. Does a college or pro head of scouting trust the info? No way José. Did we see Hue & staff with Wentz & Goff. Hell Yes,(with our old scouting masters still in place :mad:. I don't blame them).. They have their own OWN IT answer. We will see & We will all know at pick#2..

I asked a follow-up to the author (Dan Shonka, owner of Ourlads scouting)

Is there a separate drill designed to test velocity, or are speeds taken during different drills?

Mike, The QBs throw out cuts to their right and then to the left. The radar gun records their peak speed in both directions. The ball is thrown to a standing receiver

I asked the question because I wanted to know if they were throwing at a moving target, or if they were able to wind-up and uncork it. This drill is intended for players to get maximum velocity/torque...

Cook has a noodle arm, like I thought after watching all his tape. Hard pass for me

Verrrryyyy interesting Mike. Shows just because you can throw rockets doesn't guarantee NFL success. Fer sure, looks like you had better be in the mid 50s+ though.

Regarding Cook- weak arm + I forgot he skipped the Senior Bowl + was never voted a team Captain- steer clear MHO.

Archived