THE BROWNS BOARD

Camp Cook

The Gipper

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brandon Weeden, Oklahoma State 59

Just goes to show that velocity and accuracy and competency are far different matters.

Right. It's only one measurement. Being able to only throw a ball hard would make a good pitcher, but the mental and mechanical side of things is just as important for QB. Still, there seems to be a threshold of ability needed to be successful. Mid-50 MPH arm strength is a good benchmark

Right. It's only one measurement. Being able to only throw a ball hard would make a good pitcher, but the mental and mechanical side of things is just as important for QB. Still, there seems to be a threshold of ability needed to be successful. Mid-50 MPH arm strength is a good benchmark

I wonder how fast Dan Marino and John Elway threw it.

Couple names that surprised me to the low side...
Bryce Petty, Baylor 53
Joe Flacco, Delaware 55

This one surprised me high...
Kirk Cousins, Michigan State 59

Dang. A football at 60 MPH? I never would've thought those things are flying that fast.

Seems like I remember Favre registering something like 63... mentioned in some random MNF conversation along with a conversion to throwing a baseball.

Right. It's only one measurement. Being able to only throw a ball hard would make a good pitcher...

It didn't in Wheezy's case... ;)

Seems like I remember Favre registering something like 63... mentioned in some random MNF conversation along with a conversion to throwing a baseball.

It didn't in Wheezy's case... ;)

I would love to know what Duante Culpepper clocked on the velocity meter. Back in 1999 our resident UCF Alum\ Pumper swore he saw Duante throw a ball 90 yards in the air during practice. For that matter, me being the resident Couch pumper- it was reported Tim could toss a ball through the goalposts from the 50 yard line- on his knees.

So anyway today Tony Grossi was prattling on about the Browns getting closer and closer to trading that number two pick.

The idea being you get more pics and maybe one of the middle of the pack quarterbacks would be good enough thanks to the possible Resurrection of RG3.

WSS

So anyway today Tony Grossi was prattling on about the Browns getting closer and closer to trading that number two pick.

The idea being you get more pics and maybe one of the middle of the pack quarterbacks would be good enough thanks to the possible Resurrection of RG3.

WSS

And that may be a viable plan.

And that may be a viable plan.

Depending on how good the third fourth or fifth best quarterback turns out to be. I wouldn't mind seeing Connor Cook succeed because he's in Ohio guy, same thing with Cardale Jones, but like my page I don't have a good feeling.

Besides Gipper Grossi wasn't talking about taking Bosa.

WSS

WSS

Grossi flips more than a fish on land. Stick to the best option for your future. Their is no substitute for the Goff/Wentz Plan. We have 9 more picks. Haslem should not force Hue on any 2nd hand QB decisions just for a couple wins. Bite your own bullet you built Jimmy..

Grossi flips more than a fish on land. Stick to the best option for your future. Their is no substitute for the Goff/Wentz Plan. We have 9 more picks. Haslem should not force Hue on any 2nd hand QB decisions just for a couple wins. Bite your own bullet you built Jimmy..

I don't think he's giving his opinion he's telling what he thinks the Browns are leaning toward week after week. He thinks that's changed with the acquisition of Robert Griffin the Turd.

WSS

WSS

More predraft hot air- I doubt Grossi has any inside sources.

At least drop a few spots and if one of the QBs is there, consider yourself lucky. Decent chance they will be.

Our "luck" is having the #2 pick. Goff or Wentz WILL be there for the Browns. If Hue considers them franchise quarterback worthy- we're taking one of them. I'm getting damn tired of trusting to "luck". The last time we traded down, we bypassed Kalil Mack. Time before that, we bypassed Julio Jones.

Depending on how good the third fourth or fifth best quarterback turns out to be. I wouldn't mind seeing Connor Cook succeed because he's in Ohio guy, same thing with Cardale Jones, but like my page I don't have a good feeling.

Besides Gipper Grossi wasn't talking about taking Bosa.

WSS

Clearly not if a trade down occurs.

Some think that the Goff/Wentz plan IS a 2d hand QB decision.

More predraft hot air- I doubt Grossi has any inside sources.

Our "luck" is having the #2 pick. Goff or Wentz WILL be there for the Browns. If Hue considers them franchise quarterback worthy- we're taking one of them. I'm getting damn tired of trusting to "luck". The last time we traded down, we bypassed Kalil Mack. Time before that, we bypassed Julio Jones.

Excellent point. We need an all star at that #2 slot. Many of you think one of those QBs is it. I don't know, but if that is the way the Browns go, I hope you are all right.

If Hue considers them franchise quarterback worthy- we're taking one of them.

Seeing a lot of these Hue references lately... When did Hue become GM?

And do folks realize it was his GM moves that got him bounced out of OAK? He did have that title out there... officially...

Seeing a lot of these Hue references lately... When did Hue become GM?

And do folks realize it was his GM moves that got him bounced out of OAK? He did have that title out there... officially...

Picking up Carson Palmer wasn't that bad. :P Sashi is going to trade down until we have every pick in the seventh round. Hey- they're cheap, with lots of potential.

I would be willing to take a chance on cook in the 4th or 5th round but not before. He has many things that need much correcting.

I don't know what round would be right for him. That said, despite playing through some injuries - has he been less consistent than Kirk Cousins was there during the span he was their starter? A throwing arm can look pretty weak especially if one is playing through an injury driving that.

Also keep in mind when there's a lot of Ohio State homerism going on - some of this guy's biggest critics could have been in the "Fail for Cardale" Camp that had their wet dream ended like a loud alarm clock early on in the 2016 regular season. Cook has flaws but I don't know that any are absolute show stoppers especially if the same dummy that drafted the Tom Brady nobody on the planet had much interest in is willing to repeat history. At the time, NE already had Bledsoe employed so they could be patient enough to have Brady wear blue jeans to his first 15-16 NFL games while he was taking BB's advice about getting stronger in the weight room. Brady was the 2nd most popular QB on the Michigan Campus to the guy formerly known as the Freshman Sensation so it's really pretty amazing how much things can change over time.

• 8 months later...

I would have been OK with Cook instead of Kessler. Correct me if I am wrong, but Cook was available when the Browns took Kessler, no?

Yes, Cook and Prescott were sitting there.

Zombo

Remember how the cowboys wanted Cook then settled for Prescott? Man I wish we could luck into some players like that.

LOL! Luck? All that to do is come here and see Dak was being touted by several of us. Only dumb would apply to our FO, not luck.

LOL! Luck? All that to do is come here and see Dak was being touted by several of us. Only dumb would apply to our FO, not luck.

Sure. There are enough blind monkeys here that anyone who turns out decent will have had some fans.

But the Brady argument applies - if the Cowboys knew how good he would have been do they wait until the fourth round? Instead of maybe using their high second round pick on Jaylon Smith? I doubt it. They thought he could be decent and turned out to be a lot better for them.

I'm saying - when did that last happen for us? What day 3 pick has become an instant starter and rookie of the year candidate at anywhere close to as important a position?

Archived