THE BROWNS BOARD

RG3 Signs with the Browns

KillerInstinct3

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I literally know nothing about him. Had not even heard his name until a few days ago. I guess I don't remember watching any Miami Games this past year.

So....he doesn't do anything to make you forget Jim Kelly and Bernie Kosar, eh?

He's so bad he almost makes me forget they existed.

Ya know, the more I think about it, the more I can really make the case for starting Josh McCown. I'm not saying it's the RIGHT thing to do, but there is some precedent for starting an "experienced" (ok...OLD) QB and getting decent results, if only for a couple of years. Should RG III falter, I don't think it's a stretch to say that Hue Jackson will go to McCown, and may go to him rather quickly. Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather have RG III play well and be the guy for years to come, but I also know the odds are against that. I mean, if only our Browns thought that RG III could be a starter, that tells me something is wrong right there.

But the more I look at our offensive roster, the more I start to see some talent there. I'm not saying we're "loaded" or anything stupid like that, but before the draft I remember thinking, "Who the hell is going to score the ball?" Crow apparently is in tremendous shape and has looked strong early in camp. Duke had a solid rookie season catching the ball, and apparently Terrell Pryor is no longer trying to switch to receiver, he's actually making plays just about every day. Sprinkle in a guy named Josh Gordon, Corey Coleman, Higgins, and Gary Barnidge...and the cupboard doesn't appear to be as bare as I once believed. The point of this rambling is, would our weapons be better served playing with a QB who somehow is playing his best ball in his late 30's?

Obviously, nobody knows the answer to this question, but it's pretty interesting to ponder. I think there is a comfort to playing McCown, and it's entirely possible that he could play better than he did last season under the schooling of a proven offensive mind. Afterall, I've read multiple articles stating how Hue Jackson has worked miracles with other QB's, and how he could do it with RG III...but none of those articles said one word on how Hue could affect Josh McCown's performance.

I think it's safe to say that RG III is going to have every chance to win the job, but the more I think about it, the more I could very easily see the crafty McCown working his way back under center. I would very much LOVE to see RG III succeed, but McCown just doesn't seem to age and both the players and the coaches love the guy.

Ya know, the more I think about it, the more I can really make the case for starting Josh McCown. I'm not saying it's the RIGHT thing to do, but there is some precedent for starting an "experienced" (ok...OLD) QB and getting decent results, if only for a couple of years. Should RG III falter, I don't think it's a stretch to say that Hue Jackson will go to McCown, and may go to him rather quickly. Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather have RG III play well and be the guy for years to come, but I also know the odds are against that. I mean, if only our Browns thought that RG III could be a starter, that tells me something is wrong right there.

But the more I look at our offensive roster, the more I start to see some talent there. I'm not saying we're "loaded" or anything stupid like that, but before the draft I remember thinking, "Who the hell is going to score the ball?" Crow apparently is in tremendous shape and has looked strong early in camp. Duke had a solid rookie season catching the ball, and apparently Terrell Pryor is no longer trying to switch to receiver, he's actually making plays just about every day. Sprinkle in a guy named Josh Gordon, Corey Coleman, Higgins, and Gary Barnidge...and the cupboard doesn't appear to be as bare as I once believed. The point of this rambling is, would our weapons be better served playing with a QB who somehow is playing his best ball in his late 30's?

Obviously, nobody knows the answer to this question, but it's pretty interesting to ponder. I think there is a comfort to playing McCown, and it's entirely possible that he could play better than he did last season under the schooling of a proven offensive mind. Afterall, I've read multiple articles stating how Hue Jackson has worked miracles with other QB's, and how he could do it with RG III...but none of those articles said one word on how Hue could affect Josh McCown's performance.

I think it's safe to say that RG III is going to have every chance to win the job, but the more I think about it, the more I could very easily see the crafty McCown working his way back under center. I would very much LOVE to see RG III succeed, but McCown just doesn't seem to age and both the players and the coaches love the guy.

Here we go again. "Rebuild be damned! We have the roster to win NOW! Start the best players with no regard for the future!!"

Losing, surrender way of thinking.

We sink or swim with RG3. Nothing against McCown at all, it's just that RG3 is 27 and has something to prove. Keep McCown as the backup, hopefully Kessler outplays Davis.

What about if we were to hypothetically go get Nick Foles?

Nick Foles interests me, but I would want to know more about exactly why his play deteriorated so drastically. I mean, he had an absurd year, and then essentially crumpled apart. And why did he get cut at this point of the season? Why not see what the kid can do in camp and then the preseason? This tells me that Foles has something wrong with his game and just isn't showing the coaches what they need to see. Is there an injury? Did he lose his passion? Not sure what it is, but something is wrong with Mr. Foles.

Nick Foles interests me, but I would want to know more about exactly why his play deteriorated so drastically. I mean, he had an absurd year, and then essentially crumpled apart. And why did he get cut at this point of the season? Why not see what the kid can do in camp and then the preseason? This tells me that Foles has something wrong with his game and just isn't showing the coaches what they need to see. Is there an injury? Did he lose his passion? Not sure what it is, but something is wrong with Mr. Foles.

I would take the absurd year as the anomaly. His second year in Philly and the year in St Louis were abysmal.

Cool, just checking to see if you were consistent haha. You wouldn't believe the amount of people who are like "fuck RG3, he's washed up and garbage, we should get Foles" when they have decently similar performance arcs.

Same could be said about Griffin. Did defensive coordinators figure him out? Sort of like our own Derek Anderson- who turned out to be a one trick pony with only a fastball, with no changeup.

I mean, he had an absurd year, and then essentially crumpled apart. And why did he get cut at this point of the season? Why not see what the kid can do in camp and then the preseason? This tells me that Foles has something wrong with his game and just isn't showing the coaches what they need to see. Is there an injury? Did he lose his passion? Not sure what it is, but something is wrong with Mr. Foles.

Did defensive coordinators figure him out?

Its always about great coaching. Hell we even gave them blue tablets on sidelines to assist them with on the field adjustments. Was Andrew Luck's bad last season to blame on his injuries(most think)/bad OL/WR's or our coaches seeing tendencies in his game tape? We shall see. Watch the good D coaches as they won't let a QB roll to QB strong side anymore.(that's how Denver ate up Brady). It could be as simple as formations or tightening of the gloves that gives the defense a advantage in knowing whats coming..As for Foles, I think the tape monsters have figured him out..You can't tunnel vision one side of the field,especially your strong side..

How can anyone possible want McCown to start?? He went 2-17 the last two seasons!!

Don't give me that "well, his statistics were good" fuck that, you either are a winner or a loser. Brian Hoyers stats were no that great with us, but dude was a winner

That being said..

RG3 is our franchise guy.. He's going to ball out. Mark my words

there is more than one player on offense. The Browns didn't have a crew of wr's,

that hurt the entire offense.

Also, there is a defense. The defense gives up too many points, makes it tough to win.

IOW's, the record isn't all on the qb's.

Mccown threw threw for just over 450 yards vs the ratbirds in a good matchup.

He can play.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2015/10/josh_mccown_cements_a_place_in.html

RGIII has to show he can read defenses, make the right plays quickly. If he can't... McCown may start.

We'll see how it shakes out.

there is more than one player on offense. The Browns didn't have a crew of wr's,

that hurt the entire offense.

Also, there is a defense. The defense gives up too many points, makes it tough to win.

IOW's, the record isn't all on the qb's.

Mccown threw threw for just over 450 yards vs the ratbirds in a good matchup.

He can play.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2015/10/josh_mccown_cements_a_place_in.html

RGIII has to show he can read defenses, make the right plays quickly. If he can't... McCown may start.

We'll see how it shakes out.

True, but the players feed off of the personality of the QB, offense and defense. How many times have we seen offensive weapons get hurt on teams like a Packers and Patriots, and all of a sudden these UDFA receivers come in and light it up, then you never hear of them again. It's because the QB elevates the guys around them.. Josh McCown doesn't do that. He plays with no fire, and picks up stats in garbage time. He doesn't have the clutch genetic makeup you need

RG3 has that electricity that will spark the whole team. Defense included.

Fears about RG3's inability to run an NFL offense have already been verified. Link goes to PFF

"severely limited as a quarterback"

"usually on the move if he had to come off his first read"

He's

Fears about RG3's inability to run an NFL offense have already been verified. Link goes to PFF

"severely limited as a quarterback"

"usually on the move if he had to come off his first read"

Dude, Hue Jackson is a QB whisperer..

GUARANTEE Andy Dalton is going to be TERRIBLE without Hue, and won't be starting for the Bengals in 2017.

RG3 doesn't need to be able to process as much as most qbs. There's going to be a ton of bootleg plays which will lead to huge gains over the middle and wide open receivers on crossing patterns. Receivers are going to be way more open than with a typical QB because RG3 is also a threat to run.. On top of that if we can get an effective ground game established Griff is gonna light it up this season, very reminiscent of his rookie year.. Minus the idiot plays where he risks his body.. bank it

He's Dude, Hue Jackson is a QB whisperer..

GUARANTEE Andy Dalton is going to be TERRIBLE without Hue, and won't be starting for the Bengals in 2017.

RG3 doesn't need to be able to process as much as most qbs. There's going to be a ton of bootleg plays which will lead to huge gains over the middle and wide open receivers on crossing patterns. Receivers are going to be way more open than with a typical QB because RG3 is also a threat to run.. On top of that if we can get an effective ground game established Griff is gonna light it up this season, very reminiscent of his rookie year.. Minus the idiot plays where he risks his body.. bank it

You don't go from Pro Bowl to no longer a starter the next year. Even if you're Derek Anderson. Dalton might not shine as much as 2015, but the Bungles will have a balanced attack and I'd expect Andy to be a good to great player rather consistently.

RG3 absolutely needs to be able to process as much as other QB's if his intention is long term success. Dumbing down an NFL offense will only work so long against brilliant defensive minds.

As for the bootleg, I didn't see not a one to Robert in practice. For a team learning a new offense, you'd expect the man getting starting reps to see some of that work. So it's cool that our receivers might get a little more open due to

the opposition playing a spy, but that means little if our QB can't see and hit them decisively.

I'm not going to say Griffin can't succeed- but we're going to find out if he can pretty quick. I agree with T- dumbing down an offense will only work for so long. If Griffin can't learn to go though his progressions by now- he's never going to be able to do it. BTW, if you do bootlegs it takes 1\2 the filed out of play. Griffin has a pretty good arm- but the only guy who could ever bootleg right and throw to the left side of the field was a young John Elway.

marked.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Griff is gonna light it up this season, bank it

purple drank bender?

Tia, if you didn't see a bootleg.. I wonder if PFF phoned in their writeup? EG the article could have just regurgitated what they assumed without watching/analyzing RG's practices..

PFF's writeup could be unintentional disinformation.. EG someone has a deadline and didn't actually drive to Berea..

It's sad that you'd enjoy an RG3 failure, which in turn means a failed Browns season, just because you want to prove me wrong.

i'd hate that actually. just saying, don't know how you can perceive greatness given his track record. i hope he does light it up.......but like all my other posts: show me. been there done that. close to 40 years of frustrating browns fandom sittin here.

With mik it is, dude has a hard on for me for some reason.

what??? really??? don't remember ever going after you. walterwhite, tcpo, mikeh, ghoulie: we've gone at it.

you? nah.

How can anyone possible want McCown to start?? He went 2-17 the last two seasons!!

Don't give me that "well, his statistics were good" fuck that, you either are a winner or a loser. Brian Hoyers stats were no that great with us, but dude was a winner

That being said..

My head just went "Splat"

True, but the players feed off of the personality of the QB, offense and defense. How many times have we seen offensive weapons get hurt on teams like a Packers and Patriots, and all of a sudden these UDFA receivers come in and light it up, then you never hear of them again. It's because the QB elevates the guys around them.. Josh McCown doesn't do that. He plays with no fire, and picks up stats in garbage time. He doesn't have the clutch genetic makeup you need

McC personality maybe the best on the team. Does not mean he has a Rogers or Brady arm though. We been throwing to UDFA WR's before Farmer. Plays with no Fire-wrong. Lets just see if RG3 still has that Electric clutch genetics. Doors wide Open & HueJax gave him the keys at Camp..

Bungels have enough talent to make AJ Mac Ass Munch look good. Think Dalton's arm threw the ball,not HueJax's arm..

It's sad that you'd enjoy an RG3 failure, which in turn means a failed Browns season, just because you want to prove me wrong.

We will open that present in Philly. Stick around. We all hope your right.. Woof Woof!!

Tia, if you didn't see a bootleg.. I wonder if PFF phoned in their writeup? EG the article could have just regurgitated what they assumed without watching/analyzing RG's practices..

PFF's writeup could be unintentional disinformation.. EG someone has a deadline and didn't actually drive to Berea..

I didn't say I didn't see boots. I did, a couple times.... with Kess.

Didn't see any with Robert.

Archived