THE BROWNS BOARD

RG3 Signs with the Browns

KillerInstinct3

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jiggy, option 3 Hue cans Josh McCown before the season starts so as not to cause his boy any anxiety like Johnny did to Brian Hoyer.

WSS

Steve, I'm afraid you're right, but I can see advantages of both sides. Keeping McCown obviously provides us with a "safety blanket" in case of RG III injury or ineffectiveness, and fans and coaches probably have a good feel for what McCown can provide. Many people I've talked to think RG III will have his hands full just WINNING the starting gig, as Josh is uber competitive and is somehow playing the best ball of his career. Yes, he holds onto the ball too long and he's FAR from perfect, but he's still pretty quick and has a solid arm. He's also able to digest NFL offenses quickly and players like him.

We all know this isn't going to be an "even QB competition", and Toni Grossi recently reported that camp will start with RG III receiving 80% of the starting reps. If true, that tells us that the competition isn't fair to begin with. But should RG III falter, like MANY of the NFL pundits believe, Josh will be there to step in and start for us. However, I have also read that there is a thought that McCown won't be on our final roster come week 1. Either by trade or cut, people feel like McCown won't give us what we need and our team will be treading water. I can't really envision a scenario where we cut or trade McCown at THIS point. Not unless Cody blows up or RG III plays well above expected. It's not like he's expensive, and if RG III can't cut the mustard with Josh right behind him, is he really the guy for us?

I also read another tidbit that basically said "not to sleep on Cody Kessler starting this season", but I think that's total crap. I don't believe for one second that our scouting guys and coaches saw a QB worthy of starting NFL games in his first year that nobody else saw. We drafted him in the 3rd round, ahead of just about where every single guru had him going, and I'd eat my shoes if Cody started ahead of either RG III or McCown.

I desperately want to see RG III start the season and be effective. It would be terrific for our franchise to FINALLY have "the guy", and it'd be a great story of redemption. RG III is also VERY quick, and his mobility could be an awesome weapon...especially in the red zone.

Again I have to say that if RG3's psyche is too fragile to handle the "pressure" McC provides, then I want to know that and his NFL-readiness is approximately nil.

And just to make this post even more different than my original I'll add that any comparison between RG3-McC and Hoyer-JFF is laughable. The pressure JFF and his fandom brought were orders of magnitude greater. Not making excuses for Hoyer, he folded and that's still on him, but the hoof beats behind him were greater... at least in CLE. HOU? No... not so much... yet he still did not handle it.

Same in CLE now? Less pressure on RG3 here than WSH? I'd say so...

As for Kessler in '16? Can't see him in the mix early, but if there is some there there, then no reason why it cannot be developed to be worthy of some regular season, playing time come November-ish.

Again I have to say that if RG3's psyche is too fragile to handle the "pressure" McC provides, then I want to know that and his NFL-readiness is approximately nil.

And just to make this post even more different than my original I'll add that any comparison between RG3-McC and Hoyer-JFF is laughable. The pressure JFF and his fandom brought were orders of magnitude greater. Not making excuses for Hoyer, he folded and that's still on him, but the hoof beats behind him were greater... at least in CLE. HOU? No... not so much... yet he still did not handle it.

Same in CLE now? Less pressure on RG3 here than WSH? I'd say so...

As for Kessler in '16? Can't see him in the mix early, but if there is some there there, then no reason why it cannot be developed to be worthy of some regular season, playing time come November-ish.

Well said! When you think about it, McCown came here with the complete opposite of pressure reading the Cleveland Browns had to be batshit nuts to take the guy that looked so awful in Tampa. I always liked the reply Pettine gave to that in my paraphrase here - we didn't sign the guy who played in Tampa - we signed the one who outplayed Jay Cutler in Chicago sporting the best passer ratings of his career. And, he was right. Believe it or not, McCown had elite passer ratings on 3rd downs for us for a while last year.

On the other hand, when McCown went to Tampa after the best football of his career - he did not live up to the expectations that set forth. That's pretty much what set popular opinion about the maligned journey man coming here. I'm very pleased with McCown. My only beef with him especially at his age is stop trying to be Larry Csonka with taking on a LBer (ie Jets opener). I like heart and all but we were in the first quarter of game 1 in a 16 game season so common sense has to apply somewhat here. With the signing of RG3, all the expectation and pressure eludes McCown again here and I'll bet he loves that again in his own quiet way. Great insurance plan here IMO.

RG3 was a rookie of the year in an offensive most compatible for him. Former CFL QBs that were only 6'0" tall carrying the stereotypes of weak arms, limited vision, and no experience in pro style offense included: Joe Theisman, Warren Moon and Jeff Garcia. Every one of those guys at least 2-3 Pro Bowls and QBed their NFL teams to multiple post seasons playing for offensive set-ups that played to their strengths. I'm guessing Hue can do this for RG3; BUT RG3 needs to prove he can stay healthy if Hue gets him out of the pocket a lot. There's 2 pretty brutal injuries in Washington as well as him blowing his knee out at Baylor once upon a time putting durability outside the pocket in question today. Right now, I'm reading and hearing they are working on getting RG3 to get rid of the ball quickly so I don't know how much of a mix on in-pocket and out--of-pocket passing we will see.

Good point about the possibility of seeing the Kess in November. There hasn't been much written about him but those in charge liked him enough to draft him up in round 3. We shall see.

Neither love nor hate this addition. He's cheap if he's your starter. If they draft a QB with #2 I don't think that is a great idea. I would have preferred Kaerpernik over RGIII but the Browns are cheap.

Still feel the same way as I did in March

Hate to rain on the parade.. but this is not good news.

Well, let's face it......if he doesn't cut the mustard.....the Browns...and we fans have not got much invested in him. So it could have been nothing ventured nothing gained....but we ventured and even if we gain nothing from it, we were no worse of than before.

Then it will be back to the drawing board....and probably get a QB in the draft next year.

By a lot of accounts, the QB talent available in next year's draft may be far superior to what was available this past year.

(Plus....hey....Nick Foles is still out there)

The QB talent in next year's draft is always superior to this year's. Every year. Until about March, when all of a sudden it's not that inspiring, and *next* year is where it's at.

But I agree with your sentiment - we roll with RG3, maybe Hue Jackson can turn him in to a legitimate (ish) QB, maybe not. If not, we're in a pretty good position to go get a guy in next year's draft.

You go and you get talent - end of story. You don't fall ass backwards into a QB unless you're Bill Belichick. You don't luck your way into a mid round guy becoming your franchise savior.

You go an you get talent. We went and we got talent. If he doesn't work, we go and we get more talent. The end.

You go and you get talent - end of story. You don't fall ass backwards into a QB unless you're Bill Belichick. You don't luck your way into a mid round guy becoming your franchise savior.

You go an you get talent. We went and we got talent. If he doesn't work, we go and we get more talent. The end.

Of course different people have different views of what talent is. Our FO did NOT apparently think the likes of Goff....and particularly Wentz were all that talented....or they would have got them. Remember....they picked up Griffin knowing that they could possibly have a choice of one of those 2...and decided to go the RG way.

I disagree - no qb would be worth forgetting the opportunity for the extra picks, assuming the draft picks

pan out and make a big difference...

when you have a lot of needs, and desperately need to upgrade your lb and wr

positions.

I disagree - no qb would be worth forgetting the opportunity for the extra picks, assuming the draft picks

pan out and make a big difference...

when you have a lot of needs, and desperately need to upgrade your lb and wr

positions.

I don't know.....if you had what almost everyone thought was a sure fire thing.....a John Elway, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck I think you forgo the opportunity for extra picks and you take that sure fire guy.

Goff/Wentz were NOT viewed in that stratosphere....so you do get those extra picks if you don't think so highly of them.

If Griffin flames out (looks like Kessler may be another Colt McCoy) The Browns have all the ammunition they need next year to draft their quarterback. Their first, the Eagles first, and the Titans second.

If Griffin flames out (looks like Kessler may be another Colt McCoy) The Browns have all the ammunition they need next year to draft their quarterback. Their first, the Eagles first, and the Titans second.

...and their own second, tbf.

From what I gather, the best QB prospects in college this year pretty much could all stay in school for at least another year....if they wanted to (not that they would)

DeShaun Watson

Kaaya

JT Barret

Baker Mayfield

All juniors this year.

The best seniors on the board are:

Chad Kelly Ole Miss

CJ Beatherd Iowa

Josh Dobbs Tennessee

Seth Russell Baylor

Gunnar Keil Cincinnati

How these guys would rate in the next draft, I don't know.

Hell, remember....Goff and Wentz did not emerge onto the top of the list until late in the last college season. Someone could come out of the woodwork.

From all the mocks it looks like Kaaya is going to be our guy.

Watson will probably go to SF earlier than our second pick in the first.

I'm completely a fan of taking Garrett if we have the #1 overall because you simply can't pass on that kind of talent, and the Iggles pick will be high enough to get Kaaya.

But we could possibly trade with the 49ers to get Watson.. that would be interesting.

I'm completely a fan of taking Garrett if we have the #1 overall because you simply can't pass on that kind of talent, and the Iggles pick will be high enough to get Kaaya.

But we could possibly trade with the 49ers to get Watson.. that would be interesting.

It's probably too early to speculate. Should the Browns really suck this year- the two firsts should be plenty enough to get whatever Sashi and DePo think we need.

Kaaya is absolute garbage. The fact that he's being touted as possibly the top QB in this draft is hilarious to me.

Me, too... did not take the time earlier, but just did. Lot of bleed-over Wentz-backing noted that has turned into edible Crow.

Not ready to place a bet yet on RG, but still feel McC has a great chance to be traded once camp/pre-season QB injuries start mounting up...

What? Because he probably won't be starting in Philly?

He had the best numbets in training camp so far.... and he is a rookie.

https://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2016/07/carson_wentz_sam_bradford_report_card_from_day_5_o.html#10

Kaaya is absolute garbage. The fact that he's being touted as possibly the top QB in this draft is hilarious to me.

I literally know nothing about him. Had not even heard his name until a few days ago. I guess I don't remember watching any Miami Games this past year.

So....he doesn't do anything to make you forget Jim Kelly and Bernie Kosar, eh?

Archived