THE BROWNS BOARD

RG3 Signs with the Browns

KillerInstinct3

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want to know details of the contract. If it's $2M per, good. If it's $12M per, that's terrible.

BUT

If the actual plan is to deal McCown [someone we signed as a street FA] for a 2 or 3 to the Jets, then that's a great art of dealing by Sashi.

I still don't understand what RG3 has to do with any of this. We're already quite competent at losing games with the backups - shaw, davis. What role does RG3 play in all of this other than "unnecessarily petulant locker room cancer" ?

don't understand either....if we draft a qb at number 2...then we expect that guy to be our franchise qb, no?....why would rg3 go to a team to be a bridge qb?..because that is exactly what he is...I just have yet another bad feeling about yet another bad move....and he is injury prone...why spend the money on an injury prone bridge qb....

IMO what does RG3 have to lose he has a chance to be a starter for at least this year. The only way for him to make it is if he plays well, if not then on to whoever we drafted. A smart decision for our front office I believe we sign a veteran QB who has to prove he can still play or be out of the league.

Apparently Hue Jackson "fell in love with RG III" at the personal workout, and he displayed "freakish" accuracy and incredible speed. After the workout, Hue told our management team and owners that he wanted him, and Haslam said, "Go and get him."

I'm not saying that this guy is going to reinvent the wheel, but it's worth noting that Hue Jackson has a knack for working with QB's, and getting the most out of them. To me, playing QB in the NFL is about 90% between the ears...ESPECIALLY in Hue Jackson's system. Jackson wants the ball out in about 2.5 seconds, so the QB must know pre-snap reads, and have excellent knowledge of the offensive system. RG III was never considered "dumb", and he appears bright. Can he really take advantage of a fresh start? Is he truly healthy? How will he handle adversity?

Lots of questions, but I don't see how this is a bad signing. Again, I'm not exactly getting my hopes up, but I'm glad we made this signing. The more darts you throw at the wall, the more chances you have for success.

Good signing imo. I had a feeling Hue might end up in Cleveland, and even suggested it would be a good move during the season. I don't think anyone accurately predicted RGIII signing though lol.

Still, I think he can be coached up and built around like the Bengals did with Dalton. He's certainly more athletic.

I've seen some jabs taken at the Browns for this offseason, but personally I think it's been a good one for you guys. I do expect some sort of rebuilding phase next year, but you didn't overpay for guys that seemingly didn't want to be there. Also, you got a good offensive mind leading the team in Hue Jackson.

Hopefully for the Brown's sake, he gets some input on the draft. I honestly think the Browns should just roll with BPA on offense (maybe a WR?) and forgo the QB pick this year. None of them are really impressive to me, and if RG3 doesn't pan out, you probably have a high pick next year to address the position. If Hue really likes one of the young QBs this year, that's a different story of course, but I would never reach for a QB just to take one. Especially if you have good talent on the board that can help your QB succeed now.

Good luck, and I hope to see some exciting games in the future between the Bengals and Browns.

I'm curious. I see a lot of stuff calling a player "injury prone". What does that exactly mean? I've seen guys miss their first few years then have4 a great career. Z for the Cavs comes to mind 1st. And I. Seem to remember every starting qb in the AFCN missing a good bit of time to injury. As a matter of fact, the SB winner missed time too. Name any qb and there could be a case made about injuries. There are exceptions of course but very few. So what defines injury prone from missing games every year to injury?

Never thought I'd see 2 of the top 3 picks from the 2012 draft in Cleveland.

Side story, poetic justice was delivered. I was living in the noVA/DC area when RG3 was drafted by the skins.

I was downtown Clarendon watching the draft. Saw two grown men already in RG3 jerseys hug and cry when he was drafted. Friends of mine from the area (noting that I was a Browns fan) poked fun at me for my team not getting a QB like Robert.

4 years later, I feel its nice to say that I've had the last laugh. I've sent out half a dozen texts, yet to receiver a response from any of them.

I liked this quote best out of the whole article.

"In the coming weeks, Griffin will begin workouts with Tom House, the quarterback guru who has a strong relationship with Jackson. House has worked with quarterbacks like Tom Brady, Drew Brees and Carson Palmer, and he understands Jackson's system, which will allow Griffin to get started on private work despite rules that will largely limit the interaction between Jackson and Griffin for the coming months."

I got to see him "live" at Baylor and back in those days he could throw 50 yard darts. I like the potential of this signing even more than either of the two future QB choices.

Apparently Hue Jackson "fell in love with RG III" at the personal workout, and he displayed "freakish" accuracy and incredible speed. After the workout, Hue told our management team and owners that he wanted him, and Haslam said, "Go and get him."

I'm not saying that this guy is going to reinvent the wheel, but it's worth noting that Hue Jackson has a knack for working with QB's, and getting the most out of them. To me, playing QB in the NFL is about 90% between the ears...ESPECIALLY in Hue Jackson's system. Jackson wants the ball out in about 2.5 seconds, so the QB must know pre-snap reads, and have excellent knowledge of the offensive system. RG III was never considered "dumb", and he appears bright. Can he really take advantage of a fresh start? Is he truly healthy? How will he handle adversity?

Lots of questions, but I don't see how this is a bad signing. Again, I'm not exactly getting my hopes up, but I'm glad we made this signing. The more darts you throw at the wall, the more chances you have for success.

I honestly don't see know how anyone can see this as a bad signing.

I don't get it. What did we give up for him? We gave him a two-year contract.

OK.

So that means he replaces McCown.

We are replacing a 37 year old statue with a career 78 rating with a mobile 26 year old with a 90 rating.

What's the problem again?

RGIII is injury prone? McCown missed half the season last year and has started 13 games in a season just once. Griffin twice.

Maybe some people are scared that means that the Browns are not going to draft their coveted QB prospect. That's not the case. Grif has a two year contract. He has a tryout. He takes the hits this year while we develop a QB of the future.

And if RG3 takes it and runs with it and plays like a star? Great. He becomes an asset. Having a good QB backed up by a potential stud would just be hell, wouldn't it?

Griffin/Wentz > McCown/Manziel

Congratulations Cleveland Browns and Hue Jackson. You are making smart decisions at the most important position on the field.

Zombo

When you simply copy/paste an image or video without any explanation, then we assume that you are letting that image or video speak for you......

..... and it makes complete sense that you would let a whinny, childish, moron do all of your talking for you - WELL DONE!

and what if RG3 just still sucks and you don't pick the QB at #2?

shame. shame . shame on you FO. it would be unforgivable at this point of 23 QBs since '99 not to secure your future at that position.

Then you try to get the QB you take in round 2-3-4 to be as good or better than any expect. It happens.

I really doubt if RG3 is the answer. With a reworked team, having a run first guy could be an asset. If he get us 10 or more games before flaming, he will help. Most local and national media put us still drafting a qb at 2. I have a lot more optimism about this scenario working than I did last season having McCown as starter and backed up by a barfly.

Really seems that the best thing about having RG3 sign is that he's expendable, knows it and is fine with it.

Nobody knows what the answer is. We thought Couch was the answer...then DA, Quinn, Colt, Weeden, Johnny Manziel etc. etc etc.

We don't know if RG is the answer....or whomever we pick at #2 or later.

We know nothing.

Imo, Romo's homos is better. I'm hoping Kap inks with the dallas team... Colon Cowboy.

Kaepernick should really stay right where he is and play in Kelly's system that suits him to a T.

But he is all overwhelmed with fantasy racial issues to want to do that.

OK.

We are replacing a 37 year old statue with a career 78 rating with a mobile 26 year old with a 90 rating.

RGIII is injury prone? McCown missed half the season last year and has started 13 games in a season just once. Griffin twice.

Maybe some people are scared that means that the Browns are not going to draft their coveted QB prospect. That's not the case. Grif has a two year contract. He has a tryout. He takes the hits this year while we develop a QB of the future.

And if RG3 takes it and runs with it and plays like a star? Great. He becomes an asset. Having a good QB backed up by a potential stud would just be hell, wouldn't it?

Congratulations Cleveland Browns and Hue Jackson. You are making smart decisions at the most important position on the field.

Zombo

And, of course nothing says that they are now mandated to dump McCown. He is being paid what? 1.5 mill.? Thats nothing in the NFL. Browns will likely carry 3 QBs. RG will be one....who will be the other two? A draftee is likely...from whatever round. But for your 3rd stringer do you want a veteran like McCown....or the likes of Shaw/Davis. I think I would prefer McCown.

Nobody knows what the answer is. We thought Couch was the answer...then DA, Quinn, Colt, Weeden, Johnny Manziel etc. etc etc.

We don't know if RG is the answer....or whomever we pick at #2 or later.

We know nothing.

So true. It's all just speculation and hope. Hope for the best, prepare for the rest.

And, of course nothing says that they are now mandated to dump McCown. He is being paid what? 1.5 mill.? Thats nothing in the NFL. Browns will likely carry 3 QBs. RG will be one....who will be the other two? A draftee is likely...from whatever round. But for your 3rd stringer do you want a veteran like McCown....or the likes of Shaw/Davis. I think I would prefer McCown.

Love the guy ... but he's gone.

Griffin/Wentz and probably some guy on the practice squad.

Zombo

OK.

Zombo

I couldn't agree more. We had money to spend, our management said his signing will not affect our draft plans, and he's a guy with obvious physical gifts that's been given a chance at a fresh start. It's also worth mentioning that RG III played with Josh Gordon at Baylor, and perhaps they have a good playing relationship. Maybe RG III is even a good influence on Gordon, who knows?

Don't be surprised to hear that RG III looks good at OTA's and minicamp. This is a guy with a strong arm, not a howitzer, but definitely strong. He throws a very tight spiral, and despite not having any success as of late, he's still completing passes at around 64% for his career. His accuracy, quick release, and arm strength will make him pretty nice eye candy when the pads are off. Like Hue said, he fell in love when he saw the workout, and I have a feeling the media will too.

I don't see any QBs that contributed to the Browns 3-13 record being back. Farmer/Haslam picked em all. I can't see any reason they can't replace a young unproven QB with another one that fits the HCs system.

They are all gone.

Gip, I love McCown too, but let me count the ways in which he is gone:

1. He's 37.

2. He's not Hue's guy.

3. We just replaced him with RG3

4. He counts $5 mil against the cap.

5. We can trade him for a late round pick to someone like the Jets and avoid the cap hit.

Shaw ... He's not NFL material, bye.

Davis ... I will give him a 5% chance, because Brown signed him to a friendly contract. But if he's not the guy that Hue wants to develop in the third slot, and I'm pretty sure he won't be ... gone.

Zombo

I don't see any QBs that contributed to the Browns 3-13 record being back. Farmer/Haslam picked em all. I can't see any reason they can't replace a young unproven QB with another one that fits the HCs system.

That means getting rid of McCown, Shaw, and Davis. So besides RG and a draftee.....who else do you pick up? Jimmy Clausen, Matt Flynn.....Brandon Weeden....Mike Vick...Josh Freeman....Tavaris Jackson...Ryan Lindley...Bruce Gradkowski...Josh Johnson...Matt McGloin...TJ Yates...Charlie Whitehurst....Chad Henne.

I mean, this is what is out there on the free agent market. You get rid of McCown/Shaw/Davis....and this is what you have to pick from right now (unless/until another round of cuts comes out).

Do you see anyone on that list that you would truly rather have on your roster than McCown?

If you get rid of M/S/D.....who you gonna call on to play QB for the Browns? RGknee and 2 rookies..and Pryor? Nyet.

Note to Z: Explain what your plan is then if we dump these guys.....see above. It is well enough to say "dump these guys" but you have to have a replacement plan.

Edit: Your reply should be: "Goddammit, I hate it when you make sense".

I gotta give Shaw and Davis credit for preparing, acting and playing like a pro. McCown tried like hell and shed blood willingly for the cause. But there was no real rhyme or reason with the QBs and certainly no real plan that I saw. This rebuild does seem different in many ways from the previous 7,324 rebuilds.

That means getting rid of McCown, Shaw, and Davis. So besides RG and a draftee.....who else do you pick up? Jimmy Clausen, Matt Flynn.....Brandon Weeden....Mike Vick...Josh Freeman....Tavaris Jackson...Ryan Lindley...Bruce Gradkowski...Josh Johnson...Matt McGloin...TJ Yates...Charlie Whitehurst....Chad Henne.

I mean, this is what is out there on the free agent market. You get rid of McCown/Shaw/Davis....and this is what you have to pick from right now (unless/until another round of cuts comes out).

Do you see anyone on that list that you would truly rather have on your roster than McCown?

If you get rid of M/S/D.....who you gonna call on to play QB for the Browns? RGknee and 2 rookies..and Pryor? Nyet.

Note to Z: Explain what your plan is then if we dump these guys.....see above. It is well enough to say "dump these guys" but you have to have a replacement plan.

Nope, sorry. Ditch em all. We can find 1 or 2 the same way we got Davis and Shaw. Only need one though. Davis replaced Shaw when he went IR

Gip:

Here's my QB depth chart:

Griffin/Wentz

Then some dude on the practice squad.

Just like 2014 when it was

Hoyer/Manziel

Then some dude on the practice squad (Shaw, who was activated Week 17)

Davis is injury insurance. He stays to the last cut. But if RG3 and Wentz make it out of camp unscathed, you keep a rookie free agent who has learned the new system on the practice squad, and you cut Davis, to keep a promising young position player somewhere else on the depth chart.

Zombo

Archived