RG3 Signs with the Browns

KillerInstinct3

They are all gone.

Gip, I love McCown too, but let me count the ways in which he is gone:

1. He's 37.

2. He's not Hue's guy.

3. We just replaced him with RG3

4. He counts $5 mil against the cap.

5. We can trade him for a late round pick to someone like the Jets and avoid the cap hit.

Shaw ... He's not NFL material, bye.

Davis ... I will give him a 5% chance, because Brown signed him to a friendly contract. But if he's not the guy that Hue wants to develop in the third slot, and I'm pretty sure he won't be ... gone.

Zombo

I think it's more likely we go RG3/someone/rookie than RG3/rookie/someone.

I think, given RG3's injury history and the luck that circles Cleveland QB's, they're going to want as much padding between #1 and rookie as possible - assuming they are buying full in on the "developing" a QB narrative.

It feels a lot like the Brees/Rivers SD situation to me. We have a talented QB, but we like a guy in this draft. We're going to build the team and still put us in a chance to win with RG3, while our rookie rides the pine behind an older, very experienced vet.

Next season, we'll cut the old vet and the rookie moves up to #2. RG3 will play for a contract extension here, but we have the bargaining chips because of the rookie. RG3 will play well, get injured, the rookie will take over and that will be it.

EXACTLY like SD.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think, given RG3's injury history and the luck that circles Cleveland QB's, they're going to want as much padding between #1 and rookie as possible - assuming they are buying full in on the "developing" a QB narrative.

It feels a lot like the Brees/Rivers SD situation to me. We have a talented QB, but we like a guy in this draft. We're going to build the team and still put us in a chance to win with RG3, while our rookie rides the pine behind an older, very experienced vet.

Next season, we'll cut the old vet and the rookie moves up to #2. RG3 will play for a contract extension here, but we have the bargaining chips because of the rookie. RG3 will play well, get injured, the rookie will take over and that will be it.

EXACTLY like SD.

Well, if that's the scenario, maybe Austin Davis sticks around ... but I think that final roster position is going to look pretty attractive somewhere else. They will fall in love with their draft picks, find some gold in the udfa mine, and remember, Tabor always gets to keep his boys (Marlon Moore, Tank Carder, etc.).

I think the last vet standing (we'll use Austin Davis as example) gets told "you know the system, stay in shape, we have your phone number".

Zombo

EXACTLY like SD.

Is it possible that the pad could be named Pryor?

Gipper, looks like you're starting your bickering a little bit early? In six weeks or so we will know if Josh is still here or not. Whether or not it's the right move or whether or not anybody here wants to see it happen has no bearing on these guys.

If he's still here in May you can certainly do the superior dance.

Hardly worth arguing about something that hasn't happened yet.

WSS

Hue stuck his neck out on this one. The focus has been on RG's "attitude". Even if it has improved, there is still a little matter of "aptitude" for the position.

All those three needed was yet another QB who can't complete a progression?

And that is the key point... RG's running masked his pass deficiencies his rookie year. Injury eliminated the running. The passing never developed.

I though you guys might find this read interesting. It has me leaning towards the Goff side of the fence.... I hope RG was studying defensive tendencies while he was sitting on the bench... More of the above.

http://craighoffman.blogspot.com/2016/02/the-talk-radio-hosts-guide-to-rgiii.html?m=1

There are parallels between the lines, but at least Wentz does not compound them with an over-sized ego... or an under-massed body...

Gipper, looks like you're starting your bickering a little bit early? In six weeks or so we will know if Josh is still here or not. Whether or not it's the right move or whether or not anybody here wants to see it happen has no bearing on these guys.

If he's still here in May you can certainly do the superior dance.

Hardly worth arguing about something that hasn't happened yet.

WSS

Well, I only started it because others have concluded that dumping McCown is the way to go.....and getting some other unknown, perhaps totally inexperienced commodity to replace him. To me, that is far from ideal. I would prefer keeping someone that we know is reliable, steady, if not spectacular, than having no experience at all on our side beyond the fragile Griffin.

As for arguing about something that hasn't happened yet.....that is what we do on here. All day, every day. That is why we do a mock draft.....and have Camp this guy or Camp that guy. It is all argument about something that hasn't happened yet.

towards the end of every season i always tell myself i won't get optimistic again, but statements like this

Dream scenario. RG3 to Gordon becomes the next Brady to Moss. Except they don't shit the bed and actually win the Super Bowl. No way that happens we're doomed for eternity. I think this board is so defeated you expect misery. Even the optimistic ones are jaded as fuck.

'

make it hard not to. Year after year the Browns keep breaking my heart but maybe, just maybe...........

While i like RG3 and i wanna see how he does with Flash Gordan, Barnidge, and whoever we draft it could be nice, but im a little weary that rg3 signed with us because no one else would give him a starting chance lil scary.

While i like RG3 and i wanna see how he does with Flash Gordan, Barnidge, and whoever we draft it could be nice, but im a little weary that rg3 signed with us because no one else would give him a starting chance lil scary.

Of course that's what happened. Ok, maybe Hue is the sweetest talking man on the planet, but I'll stick to no one else wanted him as a starter.

Good pick up, expecially if they build offense around him.

I hate this shit! How about first we let a QB show us he is worth building an O around?

To save space I'm not going to repost the Jersey of Sadness. I'll just note they probably should start another row, or the names are going to start hitting the floor.

Taller mannequin?

Apparently Hue Jackson "fell in love with RG III" at the personal workout, and he displayed "freakish" accuracy and incredible speed. After the workout, Hue told our management team and owners that he wanted him, and Haslam said, "Go and get him."

Dangerous to fall in love... like I said, Hue has stuck his neck out.

But if this account is valid, then even more disturbing to me is Haslam having played a part in the decision.

Of course that's what happened. Ok, maybe Hue is the sweetest talking man on the planet, but I'll stick to no one else wanted him as a starter.

yeah, this is a headscratcher indeed....they are saying rg3 is just going to be a bridge qb and will be looking to latch on with someone else eventually...why do we have to showcase this guy for other teams and pay him...jeeeez, this fo just constantly fucks up...draft the qb at number 2 and let him play..wentz looks like he has the tools...at least he has not had 2 knee surguries either...if jackson is this incredible coach that knows how to groom qb's, then groom the kid hue and let mccown the backup...he can pitch in also...this is just nuts....

RG3 was the best CUT/RELEASED/TRADEABLE QB on the market, that's why he's here. There were better QB options out there than RG3, but they would cost the Browns a compensatory pick. That's why Kap has been on the radar also. This is not rocket science.

I'm curious. I see a lot of stuff calling a player "injury prone". What does that exactly mean? I've seen guys miss their first few years then have4 a great career. Z for the Cavs comes to mind 1st. And I. Seem to remember every starting qb in the AFCN missing a good bit of time to injury. As a matter of fact, the SB winner missed time too. Name any qb and there could be a case made about injuries. There are exceptions of course but very few. So what defines injury prone from missing games every year to injury?

It means he's had a lot of injuries. :)http://sportsinjurypredictor.com/injury-predictor/player/25712 Is Sam Bradford injury prone? What I didn't like about that link is if RG III takes another shot to the twice rebuilt ACL knee- he's probably done. At least he's cheap realtively speaking.

Consider the source Steve- old Stephen A plays the race card at every opportunity.

If securing a top defense was easy, the Browns wouldn't be picking guys like Gilbert and Mingo.

The Browns are in position to draft a top quarterback. This is not the time to chicken out.

It's not about being scared it's about the talent that's there, or not there. Wentz was the QB at North Dakota State and Goff was an underwhelming 14-23 at Cal.

those 2 are also rated far above the QBs that entered the draft in the past 2 years. so if you were screaming for mariota or bortles or winston or twatwater or the garrop, then why shy away from picking one now when the timing is right and the browns haven't picked a QB this high since couch in '99?

hell if we could get 4 all pro players for the #2 then i say trade away but those deals just don't happen anymore so you have to use it when you got it.

breitbart has a Sports Department?

It's not about being scared it's about the talent that's there, or not there. Wentz was the QB at North Dakota State and Goff was an underwhelming 14-23 at Cal.

That's not looking deep enough. Flacco (who Wentz is being compared to) went to Delaware State, remember? Goff had near zero supporting cast at Cal. Sure they're a risk-

In the last 30 years there have probably have only been 3-5 QBs who weren't considered a risk, Andrew Luck being the last. FWIW, I was totally against Holmgren's sell the ranch to get RG III- I was right. If we take Goff or Wentz and they flop, we're only out 1 first round pick, not three. I'll go on record I like what I see out of the Goff Wentz duo. BTW, Hue went to both pro days, and liked what he saw.

That's not looking deep enough. Flacco (who Wentz is being compared to) went to Delaware State, remember? Goff had near zero supporting cast at Cal. Sure they're a risk-

In the last 30 years there have probably have only been 3-5 QBs who weren't considered a risk, Andrew Luck being the last. FWIW, I was totally against Holmgren's sell the ranch to get RG III- I was right. If we take Goff or Wentz and they flop, we're only out 1 first round pick, not three. I'll go on record I like what I see out of the Goff Wentz duo. BTW, Hue went to both pro days, and liked what he saw.

Not to be dickish. But any coach at any workout or tape viewing said anything negative about a player?.. I guess it means we really don't know.. I like both QB's.. signing this bag of shit QB does not thrill Me so.

I hate this shit! How about first we let a QB show us he is worth building an O around?

What do you hate and why do you hate it?

Oh,this must be the part where we ignore Griffin's actual stats and replace them with empty rhstoric and pretend like he hasn't shown his talent. Am I right?

What do you hate and why do you hate it?

Oh,this must be the part where we ignore Griffin's actual stats and replace them with empty rhstoric and pretend like he hasn't shown his talent. Am I right?

It's where we get the "he's bad at going through his progressions" argument jammed down our throat, despite the fact that it's nearly impossible to tell from film for a number of reasons.

No offense to Tour, it's just the same argument over and over again.

Not to be dickish. But any coach at any workout or tape viewing said anything negative about a player?.. I guess it means we really don't know.. I like both QB's.. signing this bag of shit QB does not thrill Me so.

Well that too- and you're right. No coach\GM\scout is going to come out publicly after a workout and say "man, this kid sucks." It's smokescreen season, and the Browns are laying down a pretty heavy cloud.

Now regarding RG III- you may be right, I share your apprehension. But that's based on reports Griffin has been figured out, ala Derek Anderson who had only one pitch speed- a blazing fastball, with zero touch. Take away the deep stuff, and he was toast- tossing rockets his running backs couldn't handle on swing passes.

If it is true Griffin can't read a defense to save his life, we just wasted around $6 million to find out he hasn't learned anything in 4 years as a pro. The guy isn't stupid, so just maybe he can be coached up to a rudimentary level. MHO is he probably can't do much worse than McCown, and assuming we take a QB @ #2, he can be the pinata while the line stabilizes, and the rookie sits and watches.

But if this account is valid, then even more disturbing to me is Haslam having played a part in the decision.

It could have been worse. I could have been Haslem visiting a homeless shelter again. :D

It could have been worse. I could have been Haslem visiting a homeless shelter again. :D

Maybe Sashi should keep a roll of duct tape around if it looks like Jimmy is going to spout off. :)

Archived