THE BROWNS BOARD

Republican Convention

MLD Woody

That's where you saw pandering? A Muslim giving the closing prayer?

Yep. Does it bother me? No. As president Trump will be president for all the people no matter what the religion or even atheists but it is an obvious ploy to heal relations with Muslims.

If I was at the convention I would just pray in my own way according to my faith while atheists probably would just ignore the prayer altogether. Again any president of the U.S. is president for all the people.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, I don't think I'm above it all. That's Tiamat.

I see nothing wrong in riffing on these conventions.

I prefer the Rep candidate but I'm not a big fan of the party. Not sure which way I'll go. I was hoping Trump would swing moderate more, but they seem to going further right.

Sorry, I had seen the beacons were lit. What did I miss?!?

No, I don't think I'm above it all. That's Tiamat.

I see nothing wrong in riffing on these conventions.

I prefer the Rep candidate but I'm not a big fan of the party. Not sure which way I'll go. I was hoping Trump would swing moderate more, but they seem to going further right.

Trump will likely swing moderate more after the convention.

Hillary will probably swing more towards the moderate Republican side too after her convention.

I'm in agreement with ed on this. These conventions are lowest common denominator events for the base of the party. We'll see them both pandering for the undecided vote come August.

Hillary will probably swing more towards the moderate Republican side too after her convention.

Probably. And I realize these conventions are just to stir up the base, but they're going pretty far right on some things. Why would I believe anything moderate he's saying after this point?

Woody, "far right" is nonsense. You put the central point way to the liberal side.

and, I don't believe Trump will go moderate much...Pence is the VP.

Moderate on a few issues? maybe...probably.

but the American pendulum, as I've talked about in the past, is finally swinging

back the other direction, Thank God.

Probably. And I realize these conventions are just to stir up the base, but they're going pretty far right on some things. Why would I believe anything moderate he's saying after this point?

He's pretty much been moderate/left his entire life, at least on social issues. Jeb Bush (and others) spent however many tens of million dollars trying to show the base he wasn't conservative enough

Why would anyone believe that a Dem is moderate after they cater to the far left during their upcoming convention? This goes both ways after the conventions. It just further shows how full of shit the candidates have to be in order to win elections.

Why would anyone believe that a Dem is moderate after they cater to the far left during their upcoming convention? This goes both ways after the conventions. It just further shows how full of shit the candidates have to be in order to win elections.

She had to cater to the far left because Bernie riled up that part of the base.

In reality the majority of the country still falls center, center-left, center-right really - very few people vote in the primaries compared to the GE so the only real way to win is to cater to the base.

Woody, "far right" is nonsense. You put the central point way to the liberal side.

and, I don't believe Trump will go moderate much...Pence is the VP.

Moderate on a few issues? maybe...probably.

but the American pendulum, as I've talked about in the past, is finally swinging

back the other direction, Thank God.

I firmly believe your view of left, right and center is incredibly skewed.

You're right, they both do, except I probably would agree on more things with the far left than far right.

This was not handled well at all by the Trump campaign. For days they denied the obvious plagiarism in Melania Trump's speech and for days they had top leaders go out and try to make the case what people heard they didn't really hear at all and there was no copying of Michelle Obama's speech. Now 3 days later when they finally admit to what everyone else already knew who does this make look bad? All those like Paul Manafort and other top spokesman in the Trump campaign who went out and tried to defend the indefensible. They come out of this looking rather badly and foolish now.

And now one of his numbnut advisors has called for hillary to be put infront of a firing squad. Just when u start to like trump just a little bit and think maybe 4 years of a complete outsider isnt necessarily the worst thing. Just when these thoughts start to creep into the pheriphery of ur mind......

This was not handled well at all by the Trump campaign. For days they denied the obvious plagiarism in Melania Trump's speech and for days they had top leaders go out and try to make the case what people heard they didn't really hear at all and there was no copying of Michelle Obama's speech. Now 3 days later when they finally admit to what everyone else already knew who does this make look bad? All those like Paul Manafort and other top spokesman in the Trump campaign who went out and tried to defend the indefensible. They come out of this looking rather badly and foolish now.

And now one of his numbnut advisors has called for hillary to be put infront of a firing squad. Just when u start to like trump just a little bit and think maybe 4 years of a complete outsider isnt necessarily the worst thing. Just when these thoughts start to creep into the pheriphery of ur mind......

Neither of these things will be relevant by the next news cycle, which I'm guessing will begin with his closing speech.

Bill Kristol Pleads For Third Party Run From Sasse Or Romney

Time for these guys to hang it up and get behind Trump or just be quiet. All a third party candidate would accomplish is to help elect Clinton. There was no candidate willing to come forward months ago and "bell the cat" ...they all wimped out and now the deadline has probably passed in a number of states to even get a third candidate listed on the ballot. Deal with it...Trump is the republican presidential candidate. Shut up already with the endless third party talk.

I like how the media is also reporting that top conservative donors aren't at the RNC and Trump stood them up at a meeting yesterday as if people think that's a bad thing.

It will mater if the Hillary propaganda machine can outspend Trump 4 to 1. From about a month ago... http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/us/elections/election-2016-campaign-money-race.html

You missed the most impressive speech of the night Cal which was Trump's son who got very high marks. I disagree with you about Cruz though I think Cruz would have made a great president but that is water under the bridge now. He lost, Trump won and time to unify the party against the real enemy Hildebeast Clinton. It is time for Cruz to endorse Trump now and I hope he does in his speech. Really there is no other choice Trump or Clinton and if you are conservative that choice should be an easy one. I have had it with the Never Trumpers at this point. There is no other choice but to get fully behind Trump.

OBF- my support for The Donald is lukewarm at best. That he's a better choice than Clinton doesn't exactly thrill me- I was hoping for way better, and would have been far more enthusiastic about any of the other hopefuls- with the exception of Christie. FWIW- I started sending cash to the NRC when Hillary was running for senator- that should give you an idea of the disgust I have for her candidacy.

PS- I did a little research on Trump's fantasy wall on the southern border. Sure, let's build 1,000+ miles of road in the Arizona & California desert so we can get the cement trucks & construction crews in. Ya think the Rio Grande is gonna stop 'em? Not likely. Then there's those darn environmental impact statements. Absolutely dreaming if he thinks Mexico is gonna pay for it. His $8 billion estimate by all accounts is way low, $25 b is more realistic. Makes the Alaska "Bridge to Nowhere" look penny ante. And you wonder why I happen to think Trump is a crackpot?

And he's gaining in the polls - he's tied in every poll.

He has enough on reserve and I'm sure he'll start shelling it out soon.

Really one of the biggest appeals he has to independents is that he isn't or hasnt bent over for corporate donors, like Clinton

He'll definitely need some of that RNC money to win though, the last couple general elections tended to cost the victor near a billion dollars

---

Trump is better than all of the other hopefuls because he hasn't needed cash to win and he's firmly against the TPP and for renegotiating or repealing NAFTA

Exactly Tour- I'm right in the middle. If I thought Johnson had a prayer of winning- I'd support him- his policies align closely with mine- with a couple of exceptions. The Republicans need to pull their heads out of their collective asses- and figure out the no new taxes thing won't work. That they pussed out when given the opportunity to raise the gas tax a couple of cents- when our highway infrastructure is falling apart was the last straw for me. If the Liberals want to sock it to the rich- a good starting point would be to double the amount of income subject to Social Security taxes, currently $118,000. That's piddly for millionaires. The RNC supporting a strong family values plank is going to alienate a bunch of young pro Bernie supporters.

Hit every note for me... but I wasted a vote on Perot and that pretty much got rid of my third party urges which were born when I first voted for Ron Paul as a Libertarian candidate to be my Congressman.

Hopefully someday over a beer (or wine) we can discuss Grover's "tax pledge" which I think is the bane of the Republican party.

I don't disagree with you there, but if you asked poor, white Joe which candidate listens to him, who do you think he'd say?

Biden?

He is against a federal minimum wage, and wants it to be done by state or region, and he's right. Minimum wage in Wickliffe, Ohio gets you a lot further than it will in San Francisco.

In a two-week span Trump took every position possible on the Minimum wage...

https://www.google.com/search?q=trump+stance+on+minimum+wage&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Ha he came out swinging.

... and that was just his belly...

Stuart

Quit crying you baby. Trump didn't call for the hildebeest to be put in front of a firing squad, an advisor did.

But whatever lame reason you can find to vote for Hillary with a clear conscience.

The way Trump's children turned out definitely speaks to his character at least a little bit.

High marks in school,educated. He made them do manual / harder labor when they were younger before bringing them to more executive parts of the business.

The kids, so far have been alright although Eric spooked me a bit when in a floor interview he said Dad "will be a great Father for our nation."

Tif came off "preppy", but she's young.

Jr. is far from a "polished" speaker, but he did well. I do wonder how many days Jr. spent on job sites... That aside here's a 2015 Time mag article on the kids... positive tone. Seems Don's father-figure was Grandpa Trump and Eric glommed onto Don.

http://time.com/3990496/donald-trump-children/

Here are a couple cool quotes:

Growing up, they did odd jobs for their father’s businesses—Don, for instance, as an attendant at the docks at the former Trump Marina in Atlantic City—to earn pocket money. “We were spoiled in many ways, but we were always taught to understand the value of the dollar,” Don Jr. once said.

And even though Don Jr. went through a rowdy phase in college, drinking to excess and starting fights, he said that the life of a trust-fund kid wasn’t for him. He spent a year in Aspen and gave it up. “I had a great time, but your brain starts to atrophy. It just wasn’t enough for me.”

Love this one from Ivanka...

“I look at my brothers and myself and I’m, like, really proud of the fact that nobody’s, like, totally f–ked-up,” Ivanka told an interviewer in 2007. “Nobody’s a drug addict, nobody’s driving around chasing women, snorting coke. There’s something amazing about that. And you know, this isn’t to pat myself on the back, but I could be a lot worse.”

It is what politicians do. But is Trump a politician? And can he without having "true conservatives" say "told you so"?

He's pretty much been moderate/left his entire life, at least on social issues. Jeb Bush (and others) spent however many tens of million dollars trying to show the base he wasn't conservative enough

And should Trump lose, it will, of course, be because "he was not conservative enough."

I firmly believe your view of left, right and center is incredibly skewed.

Agree... the skew is a function of the distance from the center.

Dude this is America of course it's skewed. It's not like we have Castro running against Pinochet.

Our left right graph goes from 49 up to 51%.

It's gone farther... and currently is farther based on rhetoric.

It will mater if the Hillary propaganda machine can outspend Trump 4 to 1. From about a month ago... http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/us/elections/election-2016-campaign-money-race.html

PS- I did a little research on Trump's fantasy wall on the southern border. Sure, let's build 1,000+ miles of road in the Arizona & California desert so we can get the cement trucks & construction crews in. Ya think the Rio Grande is gonna stop 'em? Not likely. Then there's those darn environmental impact statements. Absolutely dreaming if he thinks Mexico is gonna pay for it. His $8 billion estimate by all accounts is way low, $25 b is more realistic. Makes the Alaska "Bridge to Nowhere" look penny ante. And you wonder why I happen to think Trump is a crackpot?

Personally I put "The Wall" over/under at $60b... and I'll take the over... unless we use Mexican labor... :)

But bingo on the fund raising... and not just for the White House...

I will say "Hildebeast" is kinda clever...

... also is consistent with the whole vicarious, Satin "acknowledger" thing Sleepy laid on her last nite...

OBF- my support for The Donald is lukewarm at best. That he's a better choice than Clinton doesn't exactly thrill me- I was hoping for way better, and would have been far more enthusiastic about any of the other hopefuls- with the exception of Christie. FWIW- I started sending cash to the NRC when Hillary was running for senator- that should give you an idea of the disgust I have for her candidacy.

I was not a Trump supporter until now. I wanted to see Cruz get the nomination and if not him Rubio, Huckabee,Christie, Paul, are some I would have rather seen get the nomination over Trump. Trump won though and in November we will elect either Trump or Clinton and I am taking Trump in a heartbeat easily over Hildebeast. We know exactly what we will get with Clinton, another third term for Obama and a corrupt lying politician. There is a hope with Trump he will actually do what is best for the country and not be beholden to special interest groups who control most of our politicians today.

"My life has mattered less as a black American. Unfortunately we all know that people that still think this exist"

Yeah... they're in the audience

That was a good speech. I liked watching the crowd being unsure of how to much to applaud when she was talking about LGBT and Black issues.

Archived