THE BROWNS BOARD

Draft Talk

Adoug319

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went defensive heavy with my draft, mainly dealing with the secondary, because that's our biggest defensive weakness. FA looks like garbage this year in that area, so the draft is the only way to repair it. Moving Haden to safety is an idea if you can't get Hooker, but you're going to need a bonafide corner to take his place, for Calhoun is a nickle guy.

Your score is: 10003 (GRADE: B+)

Your Picks:

Round 1 Pick 8 (CAR): Mitch Trubisky, QB, North Carolina (B+)

Round 1 Pick 12: Malik Hooker , FS, Ohio State (A)

Round 2 Pick 1: Adoree' Jackson, CB, Southern California (B+)

Round 2 Pick 8 (CAR): Christian McCaffrey, RB, Stanford (A)

Round 2 Pick 18: Justin Evans, SS, Texas A&M ( B)

Round 3 Pick 1: DeShone Kizer, QB, Notre Dame (A+)

Round 4 Pick 1: Daeshon Hall, DE, Texas A&M (B+)

Round 5 Pick 32: Julie'n Davenport, OT, Bucknell (B+)

Round 6 Pick 1: Daniel Carlson, K, Auburn (A+)

Your Future Picks:

2018 Round 1 Pick (CAR)

2018 Round 1 Pick

2019 Round 1 Pick

Got lucky on this draft, just missed getting the center...

Your score is: 10003 (GRADE: B+)

Your Picks:

Round 1 Pick 8 (CAR): Mitch Trubisky, QB, North Carolina (B+)

Round 1 Pick 12: Malik Hooker , FS, Ohio State (A)

Round 2 Pick 1: Adoree' Jackson, CB, Southern California (B+)

Round 2 Pick 8 (CAR): Christian McCaffrey, RB, Stanford (A)

Round 2 Pick 18: Justin Evans, SS, Texas A&M ( B)

Round 3 Pick 1: DeShone Kizer, QB, Notre Dame (A+)

Round 4 Pick 1: Daeshon Hall, DE, Texas A&M (B+)

Round 5 Pick 32: Julie'n Davenport, OT, Bucknell (B+)

Round 6 Pick 1: Daniel Carlson, K, Auburn (A+)

Your Future Picks:

2018 Round 1 Pick (CAR)

2018 Round 1 Pick

2019 Round 1 Pick

Got lucky on this draft, just missed getting the center...

I actually dont like adoree jackson there was Desmond King not available? Also dont forget your 3 4th round comp picks and 1 5th

Some wheeling and dealing got me 3 ...1st rounders and still kept next years number 1....traded back in the first round for the QB :) .....failed to address the center position tho

Round 1 Pick 6 (NYJ): Myles Garrett, DE/OLB, Texas A&M (A+)
Round 1 Pick 16 (BALT): Malik Hooker , FS, Ohio State (A)
Round 1 Pick 20 (DEN): Mitch Trubisky, QB, North Carolina (A)
Round 2 Pick 1: Ryan Ramczyk, OT, Wisconsin (A-)
Round 2 Pick 16 (BALT): Adoree' Jackson, CB, Southern California (A)
Round 2 Pick 18: Jeremy McNichols, RB, Boise State (A-)
Round 3 Pick 8 (CAR): Evan Engram, TE/WR, Ole Miss (A)
Round 4 Pick 8 (CAR): Kendell Beckwith, ILB, LSU (B+)
Round 6 Pick 1: Stacy Coley, WR, Miami (Fla.) (A+)
Round 6 Pick 4 (JAX): Sean Harlow, OG, Oregon State (B+)
Round 7 Pick 22 (N.E.): Jadar Johnson, SS, Clemson (B+)
Round 7 Pick 32 (N.E.): Dalvin Tomlinson, DT, Alabama (A+)

Some wheeling and dealing got me 3 ...1st rounders and still kept next years number 1 :) .....failed to address the center position tho

Round 1 Pick 6 (NYJ): Myles Garrett, DE/OLB, Texas A&M (A+)
Round 1 Pick 20 (DEN): Mitch Trubisky, QB, North Carolina (A)
Round 2 Pick 1: Ryan Ramczyk, OT, Wisconsin (A-)
Round 2 Pick 16 (BALT): Adoree' Jackson, CB, Southern California (A)
Round 2 Pick 18: Jeremy McNichols, RB, Boise State (A-)
Round 3 Pick 8 (CAR): Evan Engram, TE/WR, Ole Miss (A)
Round 4 Pick 8 (CAR): Kendell Beckwith, ILB, LSU (B+)
Round 6 Pick 1: Stacy Coley, WR, Miami (Fla.) (A+)
Round 6 Pick 4 (JAX): Sean Harlow, OG, Oregon State (B+)
Round 7 Pick 22 (N.E.): Jadar Johnson, SS, Clemson (B+)
Round 7 Pick 32 (N.E.): Dalvin Tomlinson, DT, Alabama (A+)

NOT GOING TO HAPPEN ALERT

Myles Garrett doesn't last until 6. Trubisky probably doesn't last until 20. If it worked out like that then I'd be ecstatic, but yeah. Keep dreaming Dal ;)

NOT GOING TO HAPPEN ALERT

Myles Garrett doesn't last until 6. Trubisky probably doesn't last until 20. If it worked out like that then I'd be ecstatic, but yeah. Keep dreaming Dal ;)

I know it will never happen as its just a game ......would love it tho ....... Sashi would change his name to Sonny if he pulled something similar off

I know it will never happen as its just a game ......would love it tho ....... Sashi would change his name to Sonny if he pulled something similar off

Absolutely. I do that stuff all the time on that site. I just wish there were a way to link it with the overthecap.com free agency simulator.

Honestly, I think Watson will be lucky to go late first/early second. His issue is he from last season. Only has an average arm. Having said that, I think the best is either Trubisky or Kizer.

Issues for Kizer: Played on a bad team, but wasn't able to raise their talent level and win games.

Issues for Trobisky: Lack of experience, poor bowl game.

This isn't who I necessarily think is better, it just how I think they will be drafted.

Again, you have not been paying attention to the NFL much the last 20 years. In only 2 seasons in the last 20 did a QB not go in the Top 5. In about half those years 2 QBs went in the top 5.

One service identified the fact of the Top 6 teams in this draft, the #1 need for 4 of them is a QB

Watson and Trubisky WILL both go very high....unless one of them gets into a traffic accident and has an arm or leg amputated.

Its just an historical fact.

Past performance is not guarantee of future returns...

well i wanted to take a project QB with a comp pick but they are not represented on firstpick...

They will be as soon as the Comps are officially awarded.

Again, you have not been paying attention to the NFL much the last 20 years. In only 2 seasons in the last 20 did a QB not go in the Top 5. In about half those years 2 QBs went in the top 5.

One service identified the fact of the Top 6 teams in this draft, the #1 need for 4 of them is a QB

Watson and Trubisky WILL both go very high....unless one of them gets into a traffic accident and has an arm or leg amputated.

Its just a possibility*

Fixed it for ya.

Your score is: 10268 (GRADE: B+)

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 1: Myles Garrett, DE/OLB, Texas A&M (A+)
Round 2 Pick 1: Mitch Trubisky, QB, North Carolina (A+)
Round 2 Pick 3 (CHI): Pat Elflein, C/OG, Ohio State (A)
Round 2 Pick 25 (SEA): O.J. Howard, TE, Alabama (A+)
Round 3 Pick 3 (CHI): Justin Evans, SS, Texas A&M (A-)
Round 4 Pick 8 (CAR): Daeshon Hall, DE, Texas A&M (A-)
Round 4 Pick 20 (DEN): Daniel Carlson, K, Auburn (A+)
Round 5 Pick 6 (NYJ): Ryan Switzer, WR, North Carolina (A)
Round 5 Pick 21 (HOU): Corn Elder, CB, Miami (Fla.) ( B)
Round 5 Pick 32: Taywan Taylor, WR, Western Kentucky (A+)
Round 6 Pick 1: Will Holden, OT, Vanderbilt (B-)
Round 6 Pick 26 (ATL): Alvin Kamara, RB, Tennessee (A)
Round 7 Pick 4 (JAX): Freddie Stevenson, FB, Florida State ©

Your Future Picks:
2018 Round 1 Pick
2019 Round 1 Pick

OH MY!

I wanted to make a monster defense and see what would happen...

Mitch Trubisky's fall from the first round stopped that task, but not before the deed was done. Taking the best Defensive Line player and the Best Secondary player we shored up an already young and promising defensive unit.

We then switched to the offensive and fired off 3 shots at taking 'our' perceived best QB! Stabilizing the Center of the OL with Elf and adding to the OL's strength- by picking up an amazing prospect in O.J. Howard. helped us to achieve essentially two entire separate draft strategies in the first two rounds.

We then fired back at the defensive side of the ball by taking two play-making difference makers in Evans and Hall.

... At this point I was satisfied. The icing on the cake was taking our need/luxury pick on our new kicker and Trubisky's goto receiver Switzer, a little side-kick to bring some continuity and that home flavor along for the journey. Switzer is a little Wes Welker a little Edelman and I smiled stealing him from the Patriots.

...it was at this point I messed up. I traded away #8 for several later picks and lost Donnel Pumphrey. If I could do that over I would just take Pumphrey at pick 8 of the fifth round. Then I would have taken Corn Elder(cause the name :) ) and the FB Stevenson(cause the name :) )

So Amended...

Your Picks:
Round 5 Pick 8: Donnel Pumphrey, RB, Iowa? (A++)
Round 5 Pick 32: Corn Elder, CB from somewhere hopefully near some crops...
Round 6 Pick 1: Freddie Kruger, er um Stephenson, I mean Stevenson...

That's better, now it's the Best Draft I've ever done! :P

So Amended...

Your Picks:

Round 5 Pick 32: Corn Elder, CB from somewhere hopefully near some crops...

Round 6 Pick 1: Freddie Kruger, er um Stephenson, I mean Stevenson...

That's better, now it's the Best Draft I've ever done! :P

Yep...and now all you need is for all the GM's to fall asleep in the first round and then Triblowski will be there in the 2nd round for you.

Its just an historical fact.

I've said I think a qb goes top 5, but I also think this is a week class and it will show during the draft. You are correct, historically things happen a certain way, but that doesn't mean it will happen that way when you have a weak class like that, espessially when you have a strong class of edge rushers and DL.

I think IF:

We go Defense at #1 overall with Garrett...

SF then goes defense as well with Allen...

Then the Bears decided that they like Watson better, which could happen...

We start seeing players like Foster, Williams and Peppers pop off the board early...

If we pass on Trubisky at 12... IF he's still there! Then there is the possibility that he slips back to us with the first pick of the second round ala Derek Carr..

I think IF:

We start seeing players like Foster, Williams and Peppers pop off the board early...

If we pass on Trubisky at 12... IF he's still there! Then there is the possibility that he slips back to us with the first pick of the second round ala Derek Carr..

There's also a chance I wake up tomorrow morning with 8 bazillion dollars in the bank.

Round 5 Pick 32: Corn Elder, CB

Round 6 Pick 1: Freddie Kruger, FB

Okay but what I'm looking for is what do you think? If I could pull this draft off(the one just posted above), would you think that we have a better team? In my opinion I would think that it would. I mean look at this roster...

QB- Trubisky

RB- Crowell, Johnson, Pumphrey

FB- Stevenson

OL- Thomas, Bito, Elf, Greco, Blahblah?

TE- Howard, Barnidge, DeValve

WR- Gordon, Pryor, Coleman, Higgins, Switzer

DL- Hall, Bryant, Shelton, Nassib

OLB- Garrett, Kirksey, Collins, Ogbah

CB- Haden, Taylor, Body-count, Elder

S- Hooker, Evans, Kindred, Campbell/Poyer

K- Carlson

What do you think? I think that it would work! And with a team like that, if it works as it should, wouldn't need much attention or upgrading the following year. Drafting is just one aspect, DEVELOPING and RETAINING the developed talent is just as important. But I would think that with our draft capital that we could make it work and it would be an exciting team to watch grow together.

*oh yeah...

To make it work, because I don't think Trubisky will last till the second either, we could do something we never do and use next years capital this year to acquire all the parts. Then next draft we would have like a second rounder or something and we could pick up the future RT or LT.

I think IF:

You'll see any number of those QB needy teams that passed at the top of the first trading up into the backend to get ahead of us and get that fifth year option. Another year of (relatively) cheap franchise QB is a powerful reason to trade up and take him at 32 instead of 33 as well.

The guys on the radio show indicated they would be extremely happy with Myles Garrett at one, and either Jamal Adams or Malik Hooker at 12. The general feeling at this time is that neither safety will be available at 12, but it's SO EARLY. I'm not a draft historian, but I'm having a difficult time thinking of two safeties that went in the top 11 of the draft. The biggest issue with this approach is that it obviously doesn't address the 500 pound gorilla...AKA...the QB. Would I love to have a potential stud pass rusher, and possibly best player in the draft? Hell yes. Would I also like a potential play maker in the secondary? God yes, especially in a passing league. But...who the hell is throwing the ball?!

I've said I think a qb goes top 5, but I also think this is a week class and it will show during the draft. You are correct, historically things happen a certain way, but that doesn't mean it will happen that way when you have a weak class like that, espessially when you have a strong class of edge rushers and DL.

Except....that you are wrong....this is not that weak of a class of QBs.....at least not the top 2. Trub. and Watson will go Top 5...and they may deserve to do so (far more, in my opinion than Goff and Wentz deserved to go Top 5)

Not only that, I would wager a Margarita that at least 1 other QB goes in round one. Kizer or Kaaya likely.

And...having a strong class of edge rushers...if that is what you think, is all the more reason to wait on one. We can get a good one at #12. Perhaps even as good as at the top. I am of the opinion that the Barnett or Williams may be the equal or better than Garrett/Allen.

Round 5 Pick 32: Corn Elder, CB

Round 6 Pick 1: Freddie Kruger, FB

Okay but what I'm looking for is what do you think? If I could pull this draft off(the one just posted above), would you think that we have a better team? In my opinion I would think that it would. I mean look at this roster...

QB- Trubisky

RB- Crowell, Johnson, Pumphrey

FB- Stevenson

OL- Thomas, Bito, Elf, Greco, Blahblah?

TE- Howard, Barnidge, DeValve

WR- Gordon, Pryor, Coleman, Higgins, Switzer

DL- Hall, Bryant, Shelton, Nassib

OLB- Garrett, Kirksey, Collins, Ogbah

CB- Haden, Taylor, Body-count, Elder

S- Hooker, Evans, Kindred, Campbell/Poyer

K- Carlson

What do you think? I think that it would work! And with a team like that, if it works as it should, wouldn't need much attention or upgrading the following year. DraYearSchoolConfClassPosGCmpAttPctYdsY/AAY/ATDIntRate*2003CaliforniaPac-10SOQB1321534961.629038.38.8195146.6*2004CaliforniaPac-10JRQB1220931666.125668.18.5248154.3CareerCalifornia42466563.854698.28.64313150.3fting is just one aspect, DEVELOPING and RETAINING the developed talent is just as important. But I would think that with our draft capital that we could make it work and it would be an exciting team to watch grow together.

*oh yeah...

To make it work, because I don't think Trubisky will last till the second either, we could do something we never do and use next years capital this year to acquire all the parts. Then next draft we would have like a second rounder or something and we could pick up the future RT or LT.

I think you continually churn churn churn this draft game ad nauseum to the point that they are becoming meaningless.

You'll see any number of those QB needy teams that passed at the top of the first trading up into the backend to get ahead of us and get that fifth year option. Another year of (relatively) cheap franchise QB is a powerful reason to trade up and take him at 32 instead of 33 as well.

Precisely.

The guys on the radio show indicated they would be extremely happy with Myles Garrett at one, and either Jamal Adams or Malik Hooker at 12. The general feeling at this time is that neither safety will be available at 12, but it's SO EARLY. I'm not a draft historian, but I'm having a difficult time thinking of two safeties that went in the top 11 of the draft. The biggest issue with this approach is that it obviously doesn't address the 500 pound gorilla...AKA...the QB. Would I love to have a potential stud pass rusher, and possibly best player in the draft? Hell yes. Would I also like a potential play maker in the secondary? God yes, especially in a passing league. But...who the hell is throwing the ball?!

Have you not been listening to a word that has been said on this board?

Archived