THE BROWNS BOARD

Draft Talk

Adoug319

Kizer is going to make 31 teams upset they passed on him, IMO. Not a ND fan in the least, save for the fact that I'm Catholic so I have to be.

His flaws are manageable and his strengths are franchise-material. There is something to be said for a guy who can drop dimes anywhere on the field while under pressure, which there is no denying Kizer can do. It's working out the kinks in the rest of his game that's the concern. Perfect pick for #33.

Do you think he will last till 33?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you think he will last till 33?

I don't. I could see a team like Arizona trading out to #20 or later and nabbing him there. Especially if Peppers or another top 5 guy slides down to 11 and a team like NY or Oakland thinks they are one playmaker away from making a run.

Kizer would fit in pretty well in an Arians offense.

If we don't take a QB with one of our first rounders, there's no point taking a QB to be honest.

But imagine a draft looking like Myles Garrett, Malik Hooker, Adoree' Jackson, Pat Elflein...I could live with it.

If this ends up being the draft I would be ecstatic

If we don't take a QB with one of our first rounders, there's no point taking a QB to be honest.

But imagine a draft looking like Myles Garrett, Malik Hooker, Adoree' Jackson, Pat Elflein...I could live with it.

I wholeheartedly disagree - I think there's a number of talented project QB's that can be had in the second or third rounds that offer franchise potential if given time to sit.

I could very easily see us continuing with the RG3 experiment and having Kessler serve as backup while we groom a guy like Allen, Mahomes or Kizer (if he falls).

Allen would be my first choice if we go the route of project, as it would enable us to get difference makers with our first four picks. However, I still would prefer a Garrett/Trubisky 1/2 over anything else.

Hooker entering the picture helps push Foster down... :) ... but I would not mind Hooker being the pick.

QB-wise... I really like Kizer at #33.

You can pretty much post for me at this point.

Allen, Hooker, Kizer, then Oline depth and secondary.

I'm not opposed to trading down our 2nd first rounder because some people will be learly of taking a safety near top.10. 13-15 range.

My point is that we essentially selected Kessler to be that project, and he hasn't looked awful. If we get a stud instant franchise guy then great, but we already have a third round project guy.

Alternatively, we also have a guy with a big arm and athleticism in RG3.

I don't want more projects started, I want to actually finish a product or get a finished article.

My point is that we essentially selected Kessler to be that project, and he hasn't looked awful. If we get a stud instant franchise guy then great, but we already have a third round project guy.

Alternatively, we also have a guy with a big arm and athleticism in RG3.

I don't want more projects started, I want to actually finish a product or get a finished article.

But RG3 is a project, albeit with a salvage title.

None of the three top quarterbacks have been NFL failures yet.

No idea how accurate this list of prospects might be when push comes to shove. Others have rated MT as the best QB prospect of the three.

Most seem to have Garrett over Allen.

If the first pic is not a quarterback I'll expect him to start and make a difference day one.

WSS

It's hard to say when QB's may be taken, considering the draft order of QB's between now and draft time can change drastically. I wouldn't be surprised to see this draft end up like whatever year EJ Manuel went #16 overall as the first QB off the board. There are just so many question marks about some of these QB's. I just think that without a doubt, baring some crazy pre draft injury, that Garrett is the guy. Wouldn't be mad with Allen either at #1. Both would make an immediate impact and have the potential to be consistent pro bowlers. Hooker at #12 would be a steal as well. He does have some injury concerns, and he was only a 1 year starter, but he has shown to have elite level instincts.

I honestly wouldn't be mad to see us not draft a QB, but I also wouldn't be mad if we did. Just so many questions marks. Honestly I think taking a shot at Tyrod Taylor (assuming that he gets cut) would be a good option.

It's hard to say when QB's may be taken, considering the draft order of QB's between now and draft time can change drastically. I wouldn't be surprised to see this draft end up like whatever year EJ Manuel went #16 overall as the first QB off the board. There are just so many question marks about some of these QB's. I just think that without a doubt, baring some crazy pre draft injury, that Garrett is the guy. Wouldn't be mad with Allen either at #1. Both would make an immediate impact and have the potential to be consistent pro bowlers. Hooker at #12 would be a steal as well. He does have some injury concerns, and he was only a 1 year starter, but he has shown to have elite level instincts.

I honestly wouldn't be mad to see us not draft a QB, but I also wouldn't be mad if we did. Just so many questions marks. Honestly I think taking a shot at Tyrod Taylor (assuming that he gets cut) would be a good option.

I was thinking the same thing with Tyrod but the last I heard he was trying to get surgery in order the guarantee his contract. Granted I've slept since reading that article so I could be off on that. Regardless, he's a guy worth monitoring.

Not a fan of going after Tyrod... nice QB, but I don't think "" when I see him.

Agree with those not seeing Kizer last to #33, but should he fall there, then Imma take'n him. If he's not, then I'll find one later... maybe even Day 3. Chad Kelly should be there then... he'd do until I do more work.

Remember my motto: You always have to be looking for your next QB.

I wonder what Garoppolo would cost with a draft pick? If the Browns could get him with no more than that second 2nd round pick, he might be worth it. I'd like to see the Browns go Miles Garrett and another top defensive player ( Rueben Foster, Tim Williams ) or a Jonathon Allen/Solomon Thomas duo. Maybe a Pat Elflein in the second.

Hooker entering the picture helps push Foster down... :) ... but I would not mind Hooker being the pick.

QB-wise... I really like Kizer at #33.

Kizer scares me- (as well as ND QBs in general) I've watched enough of him. Worth #33 probably. If you want to posit he's a good talent on a lousy team, I might buy that.

Word is that Josh Allen QB from Wyoming may be declaring. From what I watched of him, he has the physical tools but is another project.

He needs to stay in Laramie for another year. Poor man's Trubisky.

I'm not a huge fan of Tyrod either, BUT I do think he'd be an immediate "temporary" upgrade. I wouldn't mind bringing in Tyrod for the right price, cutting McCown (keeping him as coach?), waiving RG III, AND drafting a QB high in the draft. That would give us Tyrod, Kessler, and presumably Kizer or Watson (if they are available at 12, and we draft defense with #1. Mitch won't be there at 12).

Those three QB's won't blow anyone away, but it could be a start. We definitely know that Hue values a mobile QB, and the read-option can be devastating when used correctly. It SHOULD'VE won us the game against the Steelers in overtime, but my therapist instructed me not to speak of that play again. Tyrod struggled with his deep ball this year, but two years ago he was extremely adept at slinging down the field. He's very similar to RG III, but I could argue he's better.

Edit: The Eagles winning their last two drastically hurt our chances to draft one of the top 3 rated QB's in this draft, and I'm pretty sure the Bills have the same record as the Eagles, but pick before them due to tiebreaker. That's significant because if they don't keep Tyrod, they will most likely be drafting a QB, and that's one more team taking a player we probably want.

The way I see it is this. Your most glaring weaknesses were offensive line and your secondary, so this is how I would approach it.

QB: You keep who you have at QB outside of McCown. I don't like any of these guys coming out, even Watson, who looked pedestrian against OSU's defense. Kevin Hogan showed promise, I'd continue developing him, he looked like an early version of Steve Young.

RB: You're set.

OL: Outside of LT, LG, RG, you're in trouble. I would find a C/RT in free agency, get some PROVEN talent up there and pay handsomely if I have to and be done with Cam Erving.

WR: It was a disappointing season for this group. Gordon gone again, Coleman hurt, then practically vanished. All this hype about the rookie class, where the heck was Higgins???? Only Louis and Pryor stepped up, and Hawkins was eh. The FA class only has two good names in it that aren't coming here, so you're going to have to go back into the draft for your outside WR, for Coleman's playing in the slot in this offense. I'd go after Westbrook (Oklahoma) or Darboh (Michigan) in the second round.

TE: You're set.

DE: Hands down, my #1 pick is either Allen or Garrett. The biggest weakness on the line is RDE, and you plant one of them there, it'll help Nassib and Shelton, because if you double team either of them, someone is coming free to make a play.

LB: Throw money at Collins, flat out. Give him a 5 years deal, put him on the outside and be done with it. The biggest weakness is on the inside because of Davis, so I'd dip into the draft Either Davis from Florida or Walker from Northwestern in the second round.

CB: Oy vey, the teams OTHER biggest weakness. Flat out, if I can't trade Haden, I'm cutting him and starting over with this group. The only bonafide starter on the roster is Taylor, but he's a solid #2 corner. MAYBE you can get Tankersley (Clemson) or Conley (OSU) to fall into your lap, but if they keep Haden, go after Hooker (OSU).

S: You need a killer back there at SS with some weight on him, so I'm thinking Clemons (Louisville). He'd pair well with Hooker.

So in order, my draft board would look like this...

First round: (2) Own pick and the Eagles' pick.

DE (Allen, Garrett), S (Hooker)

Second round: (2) Own pick and the Titans' pick.

CB (Tankersely, Conley), ILB (Davis, Walker)

Third round: (1) Own pick.

SS (Clemons)

Fourth round: (3) Three *compensatory picks due to free agent losses in 2016.

CB, CB, WR (best players available)

Fifth round: (3) Own pick, the Patriots' pick and a *compensatory pick due to free agent loss in 2016.

WR, RT, C. (Best players available)

Sixth round: (1) Own pick.

SS (Best player available)

Seventh round: (1) The Colts' pick.

FS (Best player available).

With that, you're shoring up your teams biggest weaknesses.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCw7QJ7TmKpx4-zjNhOWM6HQ

Not a bad take, but our OL is not as dire a situation as you have painted it.

And no to cutting Haden... there's not even a cap justification for the move. Change his role? Sure, but keep him and milk whatever he has left.

I like just about everything, but there will have to be an adjustment at QB. I'm not sure how or who, but we can't roll into next year with the same guys.

It's so funny seeing how all over the place everyone is with where qbs will go. 3 guys gone in the top 10? I would be surprised to see 3 go top 20

Who would be the third QB? Trubisky and Watson both go Top 10...maybe Top 5. At this point not sure any others would go first round.

Kizer?

Kaaya?

Kelly?

any other QB whose name begins with a K? :D

Possible?

Your score is: 10587 (GRADE: A-)

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 1: Myles Garrett, DE/OLB, Texas A&M (A+)
Round 1 Pick 12: Mitch Trubisky, QB, North Carolina (A-)
Round 2 Pick 1: Christian McCaffrey, RB, Stanford (A-)
Round 2 Pick 18: Marcus Williams, FS, Utah (A)
Round 3 Pick 1: Tyler Orlosky, C, West Virginia (A)
Round 4 Pick 1: Patrick Mahomes , QB, Texas Tech (A+)
Round 5 Pick 32: Daniel Carlson, K, Auburn (A+)
Round 6 Pick 1: Taywan Taylor, WR, Western Kentucky (A+)

the 3 comp picks at bottom of the 4th should be used on SS,CB,CB and the 5th comp pick should be on LB

Your Picks:

the 3 comp picks at bottom of the 4th should be used on SS,CB,CB and the 5th comp pick should be on LB

Why take another QB. And why waste a pick on a kicker.

And there is one defensive player here. That would be absurd.

Why take another QB. And why waste a pick on a kicker.

And there is one defensive player here. That would be absurd.

well i wanted to take a project QB with a comp pick but they are not represented on firstpick so i picked mahomes because he was there and has a live arm and is a great athlete good player to sit and learn for a few years.

We havent had a good kicker since Phil Dawson and we really need a good kicker which has been shown this year. 4 Secondary picks and 2 front seven picks.

1a. DE

1b. QB

2a. RB

2b. FS

3a. C

4a. QB

4b. SS

4c. CB

4d. CB

5a. K

5b. LB

6a. WR

Offense: 5 Defense: 6

plus the kicker

well i wanted to take a project QB with a comp pick but they are not represented on firstpick so i picked mahomes because he was there and has a live arm and is a great athlete good player to sit and learn for a few years.

We havent had a good kicker since Phil Dawson and we really need a good kicker which has been shown this year. 4 Secondary picks and 2 front seven picks.

1a. DE

1b. QB

2a. RB

2b. FS

3a. C

4a. QB

4b. SS

4c. CB

4d. CB

5a. K

5b. LB

6a. WR

Offense: 5 Defense: 6

plus the kicker

Looks like you changed your story.

Your Picks:

I love this Draft~ I would probably cry if we got Garrett, Trubisky AND McCaffrey!!! I don't think they would be there at those spots but hey, it's what that draft gave you and maybe... just maybe, there will be enough players POP at the combine and throughout the process that they are there. I'm thinking though that Trubisky and McCafferey IS very possible and maybe instead of Garrett we take Foster/Hooker/Cam Robinson/Allen/Peppers lands in our laps at 12... if not we trade back a bit and get our offensive line fixed for McCafferey to run through and Trubisky to throw behind.

We NEED to draft that kicker! I'm done with Parkey, he's dead to me... not really but I would love to start over with a rookie kicker and let him grow here like Dawson. Daniel Carlson is a big kid with an even bigger leg! He said he can hit 70 yarders pretty easily. I would probably burn one of our early compensatory picks on him. I mean those are almost FREE picks and using one on a kicker that could carry the torch is not a bad investment.

The only thing I'm missing here is Stevenson the FB and Pumphrey the RB. I know we took McC to tote the rock but honestly we are lacking a true PR/KR. We have several people dipping into the pot but honestly if Cribbs were still here he would be the only one back there. Let's take Pumphrey to return and be an occasional runner/receiver for us on offense.

An offense like:

QB- Mitch 'Sky' Trubisky

RB- McCafferey/Crowell/Johnson...Pumphrey

FB- Stevenson/Vitale

OL- Thomas/Bito/Elflein/Pocic/Paztor(or just ONE of the many)

TE- Simpson/Barnidge/DeValve

WR- Gordon/Pryor/Coleman/Higgins(or some of the MANY)

We INDEED have the Draft Capital to make this offense happen! I don't think our D is bad. I think they were put in a bad situation. Defending for an offense without an identity can crumble the toughest defense. Getting all of our players back on defense healthy is huge! This defense shined early on with the offense humming. This Defense, if playing with a lead that continues to grow- will force a lot of turnovers. I would love to get a corner or a safety but really our front seven is crowded as it is. Orchard/Ogbah/Kirksey/Collins/Davis/Schobert/Nassib/Shelton/Medar/Cooper/Bryant/should have been Scooby here/Lemoniere/Anderson..............

I think we should move Haden to FS and let him ballhawk while he still has awesome ability. Haden and Kindred would be an awesome Safety tandem. Taylor can play the 2 CB and Boddy can play the slot. Gotta find a good corner but that's about it.

I'm thinking; Drafting these top Defensive players to come in and take the spot of players that are still developing, might not be as impactful an upgrade as it would be to create an offense that can put pressure on the opposing offense, which will force turnovers to our young and promising Defense?

I love this Draft~ I would probably cry if we got Garrett, Trubisky AND McCaffrey!!! I don't think they would be there at those spots but hey, it's what that draft gave you and maybe... just maybe, there will be enough players POP at the combine and throughout the process that they are there. I'm thinking though that Trubisky and McCafferey IS very possible and maybe instead of Garrett we take Foster/Hooker/Cam Robinson/Allen/Peppers lands in our laps at 12... if not we trade back a bit and get our offensive line fixed for McCafferey to run through and Trubisky to throw behind.

We NEED to draft that kicker! I'm done with Parkey, he's dead to me... not really but I would love to start over with a rookie kicker and let him grow here like Dawson. Daniel Carlson is a big kid with an even bigger leg! He said he can hit 70 yarders pretty easily. I would probably burn one of our early compensatory picks on him. I mean those are almost FREE picks and using one on a kicker that could carry the torch is not a bad investment.

The only thing I'm missing here is Stevenson the FB and Pumphrey the RB. I know we took McC to tote the rock but honestly we are lacking a true PR/KR. We have several people dipping into the pot but honestly if Cribbs were still here he would be the only one back there. Let's take Pumphrey to return and be an occasional runner/receiver for us on offense.

An offense like:

QB- Mitch 'Sky' Trubisky

RB- McCafferey/Crowell/Johnson...Pumphrey

FB- Stevenson/Vitale

OL- Thomas/Bito/Elflein/Pocic/Paztor(or just ONE of the many)

TE- Simpson/Barnidge/DeValve

WR- Gordon/Pryor/Coleman/Higgins(or some of the MANY)

We INDEED have the Draft Capital to make this offense happen! I don't think our D is bad. I think they were put in a bad situation. Defending for an offense without an identity can crumble the toughest defense. Getting all of our players back on defense healthy is huge! This defense shined early on with the offense humming. This Defense, if playing with a lead that continues to grow- will force a lot of turnovers. I would love to get a corner or a safety but really our front seven is crowded as it is. Orchard/Ogbah/Kirksey/Collins/Davis/Schobert/Nassib/Shelton/Medar/Cooper/Bryant/should have been Scooby here/Lemoniere/Anderson..............

I think we should move Haden to FS and let him ballhawk while he still has awesome ability. Haden and Kindred would be an awesome Safety tandem. Taylor can play the 2 CB and Boddy can play the slot. Gotta find a good corner but that's about it.

I'm thinking; Drafting these top Defensive players to come in and take the spot of players that are still developing, might not be as impactful an upgrade as it would be to create an offense that can put pressure on the opposing offense, which will force turnovers to our young and promising Defense?

I think we already have a young and promising FB in Vitale and Christian can return kicks/punts he probably shouldn't be rushed 20 times a game so having him on the returns should be okay from a durability stand point.

considering how anemic our offense was I'm not sure i picked enough offensive players but i feel in this draft we get not one but TWO potential franchise guys at the most important spot. a Game changing RB and a true C to soldify the line our offense will be much improved. This is counting on our Draftee WR's from this year to improve and make plays next year though. Defensively we revamp our Safety position as well as add some youth to our CB core, we already have a lot of rookies and young players for the front 7 so i doubt it will be a high priority after getting garrett.

Speaking of WR i actually liked what i saw out of Payton before he gut busted big guy that played big. Louis is developing still he might make a jump next year same with higgins. One thing i have noticed is we took A LOT of guys with big potential

Though i have a pretty good feeling that we will be trading down again this year hopefully for a kings ransom. 3 firsts maybe?

Who would be the third QB? Trubisky and Watson both go Top 10...maybe Top 5. At this point not sure any others would go first round.

Kizer?

Kaaya?

Kelly?

any other QB whose name begins with a K? :D

Possible?

Honestly, I think Watson will be lucky to go late first/early second. His issue is he from last season. Only has an average arm. Having said that, I think the best is either Trubisky or Kizer.

Issues for Kizer: Played on a bad team, but wasn't able to raise their talent level and win games.

Issues for Trobisky: Lack of experience, poor bowl game.

This isn't who I necessarily think is better, it just how I think they will be drafted.

Archived