THE BROWNS BOARD

Trumps NFL tweet

stillmotion

8 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Well, many people have  their way of protesting, if they are that passionate about something.  Some may do what you say or similar.  Remember Sinead O'Connor tearing up a photo of the Pope...it didn't engender her to a lot of people....but it was her way to show her passion over an issue.  She was, apparently, willing to burn a lot of bridges with that act...possibly...probably at the expense of a lot of her fan base. 

But you (and I) are more like what you said...preferable to sitting down, discussing things, trying to work them out..whatever that may be. But though, sometimes I do understand what I said above  (a phrase that I like and should get a copyright on...:o:

Sometimes you gotta  burn a river to get things done.

Back in the day, I won a debate in college. It was about the anti-war movement on campuses. Had most of the class against me

on the "it was counter-productive" side. But I won hugely. The anti-war movement alienated the middle class. At kent, there was

Jerry Rubin proclaiming you had to "kill your parents" garbage, jane "traitor" fonda etc etc.

What it did, was to alienate the middle class across America.

BTW, what is the point of protesting to make the fans in attendence, and fans across the country  be upset? it isn't the fans

who are NOT the problem they are protesting about. It's stupid. So, what do you think happens when a hollywood extra gets

Passionate about something, and protests during the middle of an expensive shoot?

• From Yahoo Answers

The full idiom is: kill the goose that lays the golden eggs. Below is an explanation of what it means: Destroy a source of riches through stupidity or greed, as in If he never gives his loyal customers a break on some items in his store, he'll kill the goose that lays the golden eggs. This expression, already a proverb in the late 1400s, alludes to Aesop's fable about a farmer whose... Full answer

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

furthermore, even though he's a steeler....

he's a former Army Ranger, and he respects our country. and his jersey's sales went way up.

http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/09/25/see-what-happened-to-alejandro-villanuevas-jersey-sales-after-he-boldly-stood-for-national-anthem/

5 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

Back in the day, I won a debate in college. It was about the anti-war movement on campuses. Had most of the class against me

on the "it was counter-productive" side. But I won hugely. The anti-war movement alienated the middle class. At kent, there was

Jerry Rubin proclaiming you had to "kill your parents" garbage, jane "traitor" fonda etc etc.

What it did, was to alienate the middle class across America.

I am not sure which side of the debate you are saying you were arguing for.  Did protests against that war alienate the middle class? I suspect so...nevertheless....most of America including most of the Middle Class came around to the way of thinking of the protesters and opposition to the war.  Did Rosa Parks action..or the Woolworth sit ins "alienate" the white middle class of the South?  Absolutely....as was, perhaps, its intent. See the link I placed above. Mahatma Ghandi led what was known as the "Salt Protest".   Who did it alienate? The British who ruled in India...what did it accomplish: eventually the Independence of the nation of India.  So...you see....alienating people who oppose you..or even those sitting on the sidelines....often works positively.

BTW, what is the point of protesting to make the fans in attendence, and fans across the country  be upset? it isn't the fans

who are NOT the problem they are protesting about. It's stupid. So, what do you think happens when a hollywood extra gets

Passionate about something, and protests during the middle of an expensive shoot?

• What is the point of making fans in attendance upset? (though in fact it may only be a small percentage of them)  Answer here in an analogy:    Remember when the NFL and everyone was doing this business:

• It is called AWARENESS.    The protests....just like the ice bucket challenge is ALL about bringing certain awareness to an issue.  So...now aren't you fully aware of the issues that are the subject of the protest?   You should be....except I do believe that in a lot of this the issues that are the subject of the protests are getting lost in the cacaphony.

yep. you nfl protesters are stupidly killing your golden goose out of spite of having a gripe.

just stupid. I'll be doing a lot of dvr'ing and watching later, which I always hated to do...

now, I just won't care about it. There was poverty before, and these rich idiots didn't care.

and kaepernickleforbrains didn't do his garbage until after the election aug, 2016.

Why do they have to protest during the national anthem?  -  The anthem and flag represent the efforts of their fellow countrymen...and the many that cannot be here because they gave their life to protect everyone of us.

Why not AFTER THE ANTHEM?  They could all run out to the middle of the field and do whatever the hell they want.  Kneel, stand on their heads, chant in unison, etc.  I mean, they're NOT getting us on their side.  They're just pissing us off.

If it's just for the television cameras, then the networks should just cut to commercials until the anthem is over.

3 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

They're not your trained monkeys, dude..

Time for you to at least be able to pretend you care about them as people, because in this entire thread all I see is the projection of expectations onto them..

The only time ""freedom of speech" is actually a thing is when it concerns an issue you disagree with.  You don't get to define who is and who isn't a person, you don't get to define what is and what isn't an issue important enough to protest about..

How many fights have you started with neighbors in seats who were eating nachos instead of standing with their hand and elbow at an appropriate angle?

I neither pretend to care about them as people nor actually care about them as people. Always been my stance. They're football players. Gladiators. Paid mercenaries. Good on them if they can do something once they get out of the league, but that's not really for me, as a fan, to be concerned with.

4 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Trump is an incompetent, inept, irrational, irresponsible  asshat (who LOOKS more like a clown than just about anyone I have ever seen...and who should have stuck to being what he was good at....being a game show host).  Leno retired because he was over the hill...had nothing to do with any college in Ohio.

Trump is incompetent? Have you checked the economy lately, or do lawyers even give 2 shits about the economy?

Leno was let go for comments about Obammy.

Carry on.

4 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Thank you for conceding. Have a nice day. and this thread should have been put on the politics board.

Thank you for admitting you've never had a single actual point, and are a useless asshole. Have a nice day!

But that's OK - you're too incompetent to debate anything. I don't expect any more than double standards and useless blather from a Republican.

I'll believe you're actually worth talking to only when you admit that Jared Kushner should be in jail - now that he's been caught doing exactly the thing your boy wants to lock Hillary up for.

2 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

yep. you nfl protesters are stupidly killing your golden goose out of spite of having a gripe.

just stupid. I'll be doing a lot of dvr'ing and watching later, which I always hated to do...

now, I just won't care about it. There was poverty before, and these rich idiots didn't care.

and kaepernickleforbrains didn't do his garbage until after the election aug, 2016.

Its stupid to think that this is going to affect the popularity of the NFL at all. 

I mean, the way I see it....only someone who is insecure in their own patriotism gives a shit about the fact that these guys are doing this protest. 

I am not going to love my country any more or any less because these guys kneel during the national anthem..or if they take a shit on the field during the national anthem....or if they were to all put disabled vets on their shoulders and play the whole game like that. It just doesn't affect the way I feel.

And, my desire to watch the NFL is not going to be affected by this one way or the other either.

But:

Sometimes you gotta burn a river to get something done.

3 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

And sometimes both of them work.   I was looking on another site that had a list of most "productive protest actions".  Guess what protest action was #1 on that hit list......a little thing called:   The American Revolution. 

Also on there:  The Abolition Movement.  (that led directly to the election of Abraham Lincoln...and the Civil War to end slavery).

The Women's Rights Movement.

Sometimes Protest Movements come, and they go.  Another big one in this country:  The Temperance Movement.  Prohibition. Well, now we know that THAT was a real destructive, damaging offensive movement...no?:lol:

The Labor Movement.  The Civil Rights Movement. The Anti-War Movement. The Environmental Movement.  These movements all brought about drastic changes that some at the time thought were destructive and offensive...but which now are considered endemic to the American way of life.

The whole country is full of whiny cry baby bitches....on both sides.....hypocrites and babies....making mountains out of mole hills and going on and on and on about the dumbest, most unimportant shit on the planet and facing this nation......

a million people yak, talk, scan their phones and beat off during the anthem ....every week, at every game, in every living room, etc.....

No one cares.....

Yet...one guy takes a knee and we get months of crying???.....the President weighs in?....as if it's the biggest issue ever.....

Ridiculous smelly ass donkey shit....this whole discussion is.....

Pathetic....

2 hours ago, Orion said:

Why do they have to protest during the national anthem?  -  The anthem and flag represent the efforts of their fellow countrymen...and the many that cannot be here because they gave their life to protect everyone of us.

Why not AFTER THE ANTHEM?  They could all run out to the middle of the field and do whatever the hell they want.  Kneel, stand on their heads, chant in unison, etc.  I mean, they're NOT getting us on their side.  They're just pissing us off.

If it's just for the television cameras, then the networks should just cut to commercials until the anthem is over.

Hell....most of the time they do.  How often have you seen them actually play the anthem on TV?  Almost never until this started. Now the TV people think maybe they will get large viewership by showing the protests.  If that is the case...then the protests...in that regard...the attempt to get attention....are successful.  No?

2 hours ago, wargograw said:

I neither pretend to care about them as people nor actually care about them as people. Always been my stance. They're football players. Gladiators. Paid mercenaries. Good on them if they can do something once they get out of the league, but that's not really for me, as a fan, to be concerned with.

Fair enough statement.    I am basically on board with it.

Sometimes you gotta burn a river to get something done.

1 hour ago, Canton Dawg said:

Trump is incompetent? Have you checked the economy lately, or do lawyers even give 2 shits about the economy?

Leno was let go for comments about Obammy.

Carry on.

Yes...he is...for reasons that have little to do with the economy.  And the economy has little to do with  who is POTUS.  If that is your position.....then you should have voted for Hillary....as her during her husband's term the country enjoyed the best economy since the 50s/early 60s.

8 minutes ago, Mudfly said:

The whole country is full of whiny cry baby bitches....on both sides.....hypocrites and babies....making mountains out of mole hills and going on and on and on about the dumbest, most unimportant shit on the planet and facing this nation......

a million people yak, talk, scan their phones and beat off during the anthem ....every week, at every game, in every living room, etc.....

No one cares.....

Yet...one guy takes a knee and we get months of crying???.....the President weighs in?....as if it's the biggest issue ever.....

Ridiculous smelly ass donkey shit....this whole discussion is.....

Pathetic....

Nero Fiddles  while Rome burns (which he set on fire)...then blames the Christians for it. 

9 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Hell....most of the time they do.  How often have you seen them actually play the anthem on TV?  Almost never until this started. Now the TV people think maybe they will get large viewership by showing the protests.  If that is the case...then the protests...in that regard...the attempt to get attention....are successful.  No?

I suppose you are correct.  It's sad.

1 hour ago, Unsympathetic said:

Thank you for admitting you've never had a single actual point, and are a useless asshole. Have a nice day!

But that's OK - you're too incompetent to debate anything. I don't expect any more than double standards and useless blather from a Republican.

I'll believe you're actually worth talking to only when you admit that Jared Kushner should be in jail - now that he's been caught doing exactly the thing your boy wants to lock Hillary up for.

Thank you for baring your ignorance to the board. See, the point of higgardly the traitor sombeitch's illegality was

CLASSIFIED INFORMATION, asswhole.

Your own link, bumbleass, says otherwise for  Kushner

" There is no indication that Kushner has shared any sensitive or classified material on his private account, or that he relies on his private email account more than his official White House account to conduct government business. Aides say he prefers to call or text over using email.

You do stupid too much, methinks, and you reek of elderberries, and congratulations, you just kicked your own ass.

she's either a complete moron, or a traitor and a liar. pick one? "she didn't MEAN to break the law"...

just utterly stupid.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2016/jul/19/politifact-sheet-hillary-clintons-email-controvers/

Some classified information ended up on her private server, which was an unclassified system, but there was not enough evidence to charge her with a crime.

Clinton had repeatedly said she did not have any classified emails on her server, but the results of the FBI investigation show that claim was incorrect.

Of the tens of thousands of emails investigators reviewed, 113 contained classified information, and three of those had classification markers. FBI Director James Comey has said Clinton should have known that some of the 113 were classified, but others she might have understandably missed.

Comey said the Justice Department shouldn’t prosecute Clinton because there isn’t enough evidence that she intentionally mishandled classified information. FBI investigators didn’t find vast quantities of exposed classified material, and they also did not turn up evidence that Clinton intended to be disloyal to the United States or that she intended to obstruct justice.

20 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Yes...he is...for reasons that have little to do with the economy.  And the economy has little to do with  who is POTUS.  If that is your position.....then you should have voted for Hillary....as her during her husband's term the country enjoyed the best economy since the 50s/early 60s.

0287E2CD-84B1-4240-8AE8-77A4265DF5A4.jpeg

Goodhell is a hypocrite -

https://news.grabien.com/story-roger-goodell-ignoring-leagues-own-rule-book-letting-players

We've reached out to the NFL, asking if any of the players or teams that skipped the national anthem will face discipline; we'll update this report with their comments.

Goodell hasn't always been so supportive of his players engaging in free speech on the field.

• Last year the NFL barred the Dallas Cowboys from wearing a decal on their helmet honoring the five police officers killed in a domestic terror attack.

• The NFL also banned the Tennessee Titan's linebacker, Avery Williamson, from honoring 9/11 victims by wearing cleats that read "9-11/01" and "Never Forget" on the 15th anniversary of the terror attack. 

• The NFL fined Robert Griffin III $10,000 for wearing a t-shirt during a press conference that said "Operation Patience." (The shirt was created by Reebok and players are required to only wear clothing sold by Nike.)

• RGIII also ran into trouble with the league for wearing a shirt that said "Know Jesus, Know Peace."

• The NFL has banned players from wearing Beats headphones on the field (doing so violated the league's deal with Bose). 

• The Steelers' William Gay was fined for wearing purple cleats, which he did to raise awareness for domestic violence (an issue Goodell claims the league takes seriously).

• Goodell's opposition to speech he dislikes is so determined that he even has a Patriots fan who flipped him off fired from his job. 

UPDATE: Snopes.com claims that this rule does not, in fact, exist. The article cites the rule quoted above and reports "No such wording appears in the 2017 version of the Official Playing Rules of the National Football League."

Yet the NFL's Game Operations Manual -- the 200-plus book the league refers to as its "bible" -- is different than its rulebook. It is not available to the public. The rule cited above comes from the league itself, via the Washington Post

The Post reported Sunday that the NFL confirmed the rule's existence but emphasized their ability to enforce it selectively:

Under the league rule, the failure to be on the field for the anthem may result in discipline such as a fine, suspension or loss of a draft pick. But a league official said the key phrase is “may” result, adding he won’t speculate on whether the Steelers would be disciplined.

The specific rule pertaining to the national anthem is found on pages A62-63 of the league’s game operations manual, according to a league source. 

UPDATE TWO: After Grabien contacted Snopes.com, bringing the above facts to their attention, the author amended his article, confirming the existence of the above-state rule, and changed their description of this story from "false" to "mixture." 

UPDATE THREE: The NFL, responding to the Kansas City Star, confirmed the national anthem-related rules cited above. However, the NFL's vice president of communications, Brian McCarthy, "stressed that [the] passage about the national anthem is a guideline and not a requirement."

But this is odd since the rule warns that failure to comply "may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses." Why does the NFL attach penalties for failure to comply if this is all just a "guideline," as the league now argues?

It appears the NFL is simply changing the rules — by electing not to enforce them.

23 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

Goodhell is a hypocrite -

https://news.grabien.com/story-roger-goodell-ignoring-leagues-own-rule-book-letting-players

We've reached out to the NFL, asking if any of the players or teams that skipped the national anthem will face discipline; we'll update this report with their comments.

Goodell hasn't always been so supportive of his players engaging in free speech on the field.

• Last year the NFL barred the Dallas Cowboys from wearing a decal on their helmet honoring the five police officers killed in a domestic terror attack.

• The NFL also banned the Tennessee Titan's linebacker, Avery Williamson, from honoring 9/11 victims by wearing cleats that read "9-11/01" and "Never Forget" on the 15th anniversary of the terror attack. 

• The NFL fined Robert Griffin III $10,000 for wearing a t-shirt during a press conference that said "Operation Patience." (The shirt was created by Reebok and players are required to only wear clothing sold by Nike.)

• RGIII also ran into trouble with the league for wearing a shirt that said "Know Jesus, Know Peace."

• The NFL has banned players from wearing Beats headphones on the field (doing so violated the league's deal with Bose). 

• The Steelers' William Gay was fined for wearing purple cleats, which he did to raise awareness for domestic violence (an issue Goodell claims the league takes seriously).

• Goodell's opposition to speech he dislikes is so determined that he even has a Patriots fan who flipped him off fired from his job. 

UPDATE: Snopes.com claims that this rule does not, in fact, exist. The article cites the rule quoted above and reports "No such wording appears in the 2017 version of the Official Playing Rules of the National Football League."

Yet the NFL's Game Operations Manual -- the 200-plus book the league refers to as its "bible" -- is different than its rulebook. It is not available to the public. The rule cited above comes from the league itself, via the Washington Post

The Post reported Sunday that the NFL confirmed the rule's existence but emphasized their ability to enforce it selectively:

Under the league rule, the failure to be on the field for the anthem may result in discipline such as a fine, suspension or loss of a draft pick. But a league official said the key phrase is “may” result, adding he won’t speculate on whether the Steelers would be disciplined.

The specific rule pertaining to the national anthem is found on pages A62-63 of the league’s game operations manual, according to a league source. 

UPDATE TWO: After Grabien contacted Snopes.com, bringing the above facts to their attention, the author amended his article, confirming the existence of the above-state rule, and changed their description of this story from "false" to "mixture." 

UPDATE THREE: The NFL, responding to the Kansas City Star, confirmed the national anthem-related rules cited above. However, the NFL's vice president of communications, Brian McCarthy, "stressed that [the] passage about the national anthem is a guideline and not a requirement."

But this is odd since the rule warns that failure to comply "may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses." Why does the NFL attach penalties for failure to comply if this is all just a "guideline," as the league now argues?

It appears the NFL is simply changing the rules — by electing not to enforce them.

NFL just MAKES THIS SHIT UP as it goes.

One of the MAIN reasons this crapzasparnackle with Josh Gordon pisses me off so much. 

This is too much for Roger Goodell to deal with, he'll probably be 'too busy' this season to get to Gordon's reinstatement. It's bullshit. 

53 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

she's either a complete moron, or a traitor and a liar. pick one? "she didn't MEAN to break the law"...

just utterly stupid.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2016/jul/19/politifact-sheet-hillary-clintons-email-controvers/

Some classified information ended up on her private server, which was an unclassified system, but there was not enough evidence to charge her with a crime.

Clinton had repeatedly said she did not have any classified emails on her server, but the results of the FBI investigation show that claim was incorrect.

Of the tens of thousands of emails investigators reviewed, 113 contained classified information, and three of those had classification markers. FBI Director James Comey has said Clinton should have known that some of the 113 were classified, but others she might have understandably missed.

Comey said the Justice Department shouldn’t prosecute Clinton because there isn’t enough evidence that she intentionally mishandled classified information. FBI investigators didn’t find vast quantities of exposed classified material, and they also did not turn up evidence that Clinton intended to be disloyal to the United States or that she intended to obstruct justice.

Keep this shit on the political board where it belongs.

Archived