THE BROWNS BOARD

Trumps NFL tweet

stillmotion

22 minutes ago, wargograw said:

I think Gipper just has a rolodex of points that he likes to make. 

Only in the original post where I had to check a few things out to refresh my recollection did I make a brief note.  You are probably too young to even remember the USFL. You are probably too young to remember the attempted "move".  But I remember this stuff...and Trump's role in it.  Beyond that I just react. Sorry if my ability to recall and to  analyze and synthesize data in a swift manner is intimidating to you. I don't know how to provide a bouncing ball for you to follow along with on here. 

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

....that left a vacuum in football in those town.   Later when the NFL did decide to expand, it decided AGAINST Baltimore, in favor of Jacksonville for expansion.  (It also granted a team to Charlotte NC).  Baltimore had actually, by all reports, been the favorite for expansion.  Instead, they got stiffed....and they had all this money in their coffers that they thought would be used for an NFL expansion team. But that didn't happen.....and one of the leading figures against Baltimore getting a team was one Art Modell. Well...we know what happened there.   Baltimore gets no team...and they go searching and offering bribes to certain weak ass owners...and of course up pops Modell...wanting to move the Browns.   The rest of course is history.....

Now Gip, even you know that's a stretch. Modell voted against a Baltimore franchise expansion because he had eyes on it for himself.

The CFL was in Baltimore for a bit and it was wildly successful after the USFL collapse. 

3 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

Now Gip, even you know that's a stretch. Modell voted against a Baltimore franchise expansion because he had eyes on it for himself.

The CFL was in Baltimore for a bit and it was wildly successful after the USFL collapse. 

What part was a stretch?  The only thing may be the "left a vacuum" part.  And while yes, the CFL was in Baltimore....I don't think that having the CFL there satisfied the people of Baltimore over their desire to have the NFL there. And it was only there for 2 years, 1994 and 1995.  That team had already folded when Baltimore attempted to "recruit" Modell.  And the USFL team was even more "wildly successul".  The Baltimore Stars won the Final USFL title game.

And Baltimore was a favorite for expansion...but lost out...partly due to Modell's opposition. Also partly because the other owners loved Wayne Weaver and wanted him to be a part of the fold.

Fair to say?

53 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Where if anywhere did you see where Trump made any gesture, statement, comment etc. on the initial problem that led to the protests?   Has he ever addressed the issue of (alleged) police brutality in the minority community?   (I doubt seriously that he has...or cares......but please surprise me by showing  that he has addressed this problem)

What does Trumps saying or not saying have anything to do with the problem at hand which is how police interact with the African American community? How does kneeling at a football game fix that problem? People are under the delusion that kneeling will some how force police to conduct themselves differently. Kneeling is an empty gesture that does nothing to resolve the problem you want addressed. You whine and bitch about the problem or take actions to fixing it. I never seen a problem ever solved by kneeling for the anthem at a sporting event. When that happens let me know.

9 minutes ago, runyon27 said:

What does Trumps saying or not saying have anything to do with the problem at hand which is how police interact with the African American community? How does kneeling at a football game fix that problem? People are under the delusion that kneeling will some how force police to conduct themselves differently. Kneeling is an empty gesture that does nothing to resolve the problem you want addressed. You whine and bitch about the problem or take actions to fixing it. I never seen a problem ever solved by kneeling for the anthem at a sporting event. When that happens let me know.

No fucking shit Sherlock.....the kneeling is only supposed to be a gesture.....to bring awareness.  Read your own statement:

What does Trumps saying or not saying have anything to do with the problem at hand which is how police interact with the African American community

What HAS Trump said about it?  Not a thing that I am aware....furthermore...what has Trump DONE about it?  Worse than nothing.  He has fueled the flames of it. I would hope as POTUS that HE would take some action to help try to fix it.  What action has he taken in that regard? Please educate me.

51 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

From around here? NE Ohio?  I remember a Judge from early on in my career from Medina County.  He was Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.  Half the time he was jovial and smiling, the other half he was surly and belligerent...for no apparent reason.  Believe it or not, I am very mild mannered...maybe too much so.  I think in 27 years of doing this I displayed temper maybe 2-3 times.   And I only remember one of them.  An older gentleman would NOT be quiet after I instructed him to listen 2-3 times.  I have never held anyone in contempt...that time came the closest.  (and what did you do?)  

I was a probation officer.  All the probation officers in our department had the highest respect for this judge but he did have a temper at times. I remember the chief probation officer telling me in the court room once she was concerned his temper might cause him problems on some cases on appeal but to my knowledge it never happened. When I got hired I never realized the politics involved in the job and when I interviewed with this judge it threw me for a loop when he asked me if I was a conservative or a liberal and he didn't want to hear any middle of the road answer. I didn't know if the judge was a democrat or republican but I answered honestly I was a conservative. He still hired me even though he was a democrat. I remember when he ran for re-election and brought his petition for us to sign but nobody could because we were all registered republicans. He took it with a sense of humor and laughed saying he had a staff full of republicans. I always gave him credit for not playing the political game and he hired probation officers on their qualifications and not political party affiliation when he could have done so. He was a good judge. No an excellent one.

49 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Principles? What principles?  We already established that you don't like our Constitution unless it is applied to a matter that you are favor of.  That is not principles....that is just neurosis.

Here is a principle I stand on:  "I recognize another person's right to take a stance or have a point of view and to demonstrate his opinion thereon, even if I disagree with them".  

Can you say the same?

And I don't get mad...I just point out facts.  Sorry if the facts don't make you feel good about yourself. 

yeah, bro, you mad. you never establish anything, you just bloviate far worse than I do, almost everybody else, and it all morphs into facts, figures and mishmosh that has nothing to do with your contrary intention. The fundamental rights guaranteed by our Constitution will NOT be trifled with, liberal man. The players have free speech? yep. Half? the country have a right to exercise their free speech also? yep. I love our Constitution - you and obaMao despised it.

Here is a fact - I believe I won't bother watching the Browns real time anymore. I'll record it for later.... won't accept the demeaning

our Flag,. our Country, our Military etc. Won't stand for it. They can take their stupid protest and shove it. They lost me.  It's like an annoying commercial, which most of them are. I make of point of not doing business with that company. I'll admire the players who

don't disgrace our Flag and Country and Military. I was in the military, and let me tell you - there are plenty of inner city folks who went into the military to make a better life for themselves. Why in the hell are these pampered, rich bitchplayers disgracing themselves over our National Anthem? I knew men from the inner city in the military who LOVED this country, warts and all.

These fools are alienating people they should be trying to influence. But the hood is in their brains that they can't get whatthey want, without doing the wrong things. The Cowboys kneeled on the field before the game, I'm FINE with that.  Don't step on our Flag, don't insult the millions and millions and millions of people who love this country. Pretty much nobody loves bad cops or racism.

So, STFU about dissing America, "protesters'. Fool liberals want to make knowing that man made goober warning is bs a crime.

Calling a man a man, and a woman a woman a crime. But THEY insist that they can offend millions of people about our Flag,

our National Anthem? nah. not buyin it. and I have better things to do than pay money or spend a lot of time (with commercials)

being offended on national TV. Your obaMao took the side of a black hoodlum and dissed the police. that was worse than stupid,

and seems that that started all this garbage.  Bad police: arrest em, send em to prison. But seriously, to bash our entire country over it ? really stupid.

7 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

No fucking shit Sherlock.....the kneeling is only supposed to be a gesture.....to bring awareness.  Read your own statement:

What does Trumps saying or not saying have anything to do with the problem at hand which is how police interact with the African American community

What HAS Trump said about it?  Not a thing that I am aware....furthermore...what has Trump DONE about it?  Worse than nothing.  He has fueled the flames of it. I would hope as POTUS that HE would take some action to help try to fix it.  What action has he taken in that regard? Please educate me.

bs, Gipper. Your fave ObaMao was a belligerent racist fool that took the side of blacks even when the police weren't at fault.

Yes you lost the election. tough turkeys.

44 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

What part was a stretch?  The only thing may be the "left a vacuum" part.  And while yes, the CFL was in Baltimore....I don't think that having the CFL there satisfied the people of Baltimore over their desire to have the NFL there. And it was only there for 2 years, 1994 and 1995.  That team had already folded when Baltimore attempted to "recruit" Modell.  And the USFL team was even more "wildly successul".  The Baltimore Stars won the Final USFL title game.

And Baltimore was a favorite for expansion...but lost out...partly due to Modell's opposition. Also partly because the other owners loved Wayne Weaver and wanted him to be a part of the fold.

Fair to say?

Yes, fair to say regarding Baltimore being a favorite for expansion. I just don't see the Trump connection factoring in. 

14 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

I was a probation officer.  All the probation officers in our department had the highest respect for this judge but he did have a temper at times. I remember the chief probation officer telling me in the court room once she was concerned his temper might cause him problems on some cases on appeal but to my knowledge it never happened. When I got hired I never realized the politics involved in the job and when I interviewed with this judge it threw me for a loop when he asked me if I was a conservative or a liberal and he didn't want to hear any middle of the road answer. I didn't know if the judge was a democrat or republican but I answered honestly I was a conservative. He still hired me even though he was a democrat. I remember when he ran for re-election and brought his petition for us to sign but nobody could because we were all registered republicans. He took it with a sense of humor and laughed saying he had a staff full of republicans. I always gave him credit for not playing the political game and he hired probation officers on their qualifications and not political party affiliation when he could have done so. He was a good judge. No an excellent one.

Were you at the Common Pleas level?  I was never under the impression that it was the Judges who hired Probation Officers.   Perhaps at the Municipal level.  Or, maybe, if you were in a small county they did it.  Larger counties, like Summit where I am mainly, I do not believe have judges doing the hiring of that position.

7 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Were you at the Common Pleas level?  I was never under the impression that it was the Judges who hired Probation Officers.   Perhaps at the Municipal level.  Or, maybe, if you were in a small county they did it.  Larger counties, like Summit where I am mainly, I do not believe have judges doing the hiring of that position.

It was Common Pleas Court and we had a County Probation Dept. I don't know if it is still the same now but we had counties in Ohio that had state probation departments and other counties (usually smaller rural ones) that had County Probation Depts.

Just now, Bob806 said:

Yes, fair to say regarding Baltimore being a favorite for expansion. I just don't see the Trump connection factoring in. 

To the Browns attempted "Move"?  I thought I explained it fairly well.  Its simple as ABCDE:

A.  The USFL had one of its most successful teams in Baltimore..the Stars (after the Colts left)...won their last title. 

B. Trump decides to sue and essentially "loses"...and ultimately he decides to fold USFL, instead of opting to compete on field in hopes of merger because he had his snit over losing the lawsuit.  Common opinion was that USF could have survived and competed with proper support.

C. Baltimore ergo, loses out on opportunity of have Baltimore Stars be a part of a potential USFL/NFL merger.

D. Football vacuum created in Baltimore because of this.  (CFL team insufficient to fill that vacuum). 

E. Baltimore looks to entice NFL team....finds Modell with hands out.  While Browns franchise remains, it is shut down 3 years..and be reborn with what we have now.

So: No folding of USFL...which was prompted by Trump....potential merger....NFL gets team in Baltimore...Baltimore isn't looking for a dupe like Modell.

Are there a lot of Mario Brothers leaps to make?  Sure, some....but they CAN be made.

3 minutes ago, Mark O said:

That article is from last December.  

Monday nights football ratings were actually up.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/09/26/monday-night-football-ratings-up-for-the-season-way-up-for-week-3/

Interestingly - it was that Monday night game where the Cowboys kneeling in unison BEFORE they ever played the National Anthem.....

which is really cool. They didn't diss our National Anthem etc.

2 hours ago, wargograw said:

Thanks for making my point for me tia. The whole "if you don't like the kneelers, just stop watching football" argument is just as stupid as saying "you don't like the country, move out!" I didn't say I personally was making that argument. I'm pointing out the absurdity.

I think both arguments are silly however one is a realistic solution  the other is not.  

41 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

yeah, bro, you mad. you never establish anything, you just bloviate far worse than I do, almost everybody else, and it all morphs into facts, figures and mishmosh that has nothing to do with your contrary intention.

Sorry if you are too stupid to keep up.

The fundamental rights guaranteed by our Constitution will NOT be trifled with, liberal man.

Really?  You would  now fully accept the right of these players etc. to demonstrate/protest.  Ergo, you must be the liberal man.

The players have free speech? yep. Half? the country have a right to exercise their free speech also? yep. I love our Constitution - you and obaMao despised it.

This is why I don't participate in the political discussion board.  Ignorance piled on bias piled on ignorance.

Here is a fact - I believe I won't bother watching the Browns real time anymore. I'll record it for later...

Nobody cares what you do.

. won't accept the demeaning

our Flag,. our Country, our Military etc. Won't stand for it.

Well, you will because it is not your choice...nothing you can do to stop it.  This is America...or did you forget? (and the only thing is...it is not demeaning the flag or military...any perception as such is just between your ears)

They can take their stupid protest and shove it. They lost me.  It's like an annoying commercial, which most of them are. I make of point of not doing business with that company.

Nobody cares what you do...Its your right not to watch.

I'll admire the players who

don't disgrace our Flag and Country and Military. I was in the military, and let me tell you - there are plenty of inner city folks who went into the military to make a better life for themselves.

Really? I thought they went there to defend our nation....and to preserve the rights we all are entitled to and enjoy...including the right to free speech.   I didn't realize that the military was just a college substitute. I guess if that is why they went..fine. But, apparently it was not out of a sense of patriotism....per your statement above (which may in fact be wrong)

Why in the hell are these pampered, rich bitchplayers disgracing themselves over our National Anthem? I knew men from the inner city in the military who LOVED this country, warts and all.

These fools are alienating people they should be trying to influence. But the hood is in their brains that they can't get whatthey want, without doing the wrong things. The Cowboys kneeled on the field before the game, I'm FINE with that.  Don't step on our Flag, don't insult the millions and millions and millions of people who love this country. Pretty much nobody loves bad cops or racism.

(I interpret this last paragraph as you pretty much loving and embracing racism)

So, STFU about dissing America, "protesters'. Fool liberals want to make knowing that man made goober warning is bs a crime.

This statement is incomprehensible...so I won't reply.

Calling a man a man, and a woman a woman a crime. But THEY insist that they can offend millions of people about our Flag,

No, They don't.  You did.  By defending the rights embodied in the Constitution....including the rights to free speech...so it is the Contstitution that insists on it. 

our National Anthem? nah. not buyin it. and I have better things to do than pay money or spend a lot of time (with commercials)

being offended on national TV.

From the sounds of things...there is little that doesn't offend you. You find fantasy offenses whereever you look it seems.

Your obaMao took the side of a black hoodlum and dissed the police. that was worse than stupid,

I know...to your mind Obama had the audacity to be black and to be elected.  And you are bound and determined to put that uppity N....in his place. (this is how your comments read...this is how they come off)

and seems that that started all this garbage.  Bad police: arrest em, send em to prison. But seriously, to bash our entire country over it ? really stupid.

Again, as I see it...you are just fantasizing about things.  You look for slights that are not there. You have so much hate in your mind and in your heart....its.....ahh disturbing.  

59 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

bs, Gipper. Your fave ObaMao was a belligerent racist fool that took the side of blacks even when the police weren't at fault.

Yes you lost the election. tough turkeys.

Like I said, I don't really want to reply to ignorance fueled by hate and racism.  I rarely see this on the regular board as I don't go on to the political board. Sorry man, but you just come across as a deranged madman.  Too bad.  You can be good to talk football with at times. 

29 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Again, as I see it...you are just fantasizing about things.  You look for slights that are not there. You have so much hate in your mind and in your heart....its.....ahh disturbing. 

Wrapped it up in one simple sentence.

This topic is fair game for this forum, but I think it has run it's course, everyone has had their say, pick it up at the political forum as we get ready for Sunday's big rivalry game.

Cal. I hope you make it to the Tailgate this year, I want a picture of you and Gip holding an Olive Branch.

Z

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

blah blah blah blah asswhole blah boring blah, ignorant blah, liberal wingnutcake blah, fake news blah,

deliberate misinterpret blah, kissingobaMao'srearend blah, anti-everything about America blah...

more boring blah blah blah liar pants on fire your dishonor blah.....

I"m not stupid, just too bored to keep up with your ten tons of drivel. Next you will have a trivia post asking about how

long tom brady's toenails are or some other weird fetish. Disagreeing with you makes you hell on earth blah. LOL

Have a nice day in liberal legal land, dumbdoofus. You're a very smart guy for being so stupid to try to have a conversation with.

Now, you owe me a rootbeer at a tailgate for being a lizard-lipped tuna head - just don't open it or spike it somehow.

Archived