THE BROWNS BOARD

Denzel Ward

LondonBrown

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, BaconHound said:

I always thought the Browns were a DB away.

Tour may want to update his signature to read "DB is one of the hardest positions for a rookie to learn, he'll get better"

Same dung we heard about Gilbert

HuH? Ward was best Cb in draft... a true shutdown corner... whuich we needed

Wss knows

39 minutes ago, Mike H said:

Dorsey said he wanted to get faster on D. This jives with that. Ward is a stud, can fly.

So Mo Hurst inside is in the cards?

11 hours ago, bjh2130 said:

I can't believe people don't see the value in this pic

Me "neither".

Most of us expected a fs like Minkah - but the Browns secondary has been arguably the worst in the NFL. Hue?/sassy sachi didn't see it. Dorsey sure did. TODD HALEY sure the hell did. How many times was it that the defense held an offense for three downs, and the offense laughed and just threw the ball for another first down?

That is why both starting cb's will be gone, I suppose. Taylor was a weak link, and although I thought McCourty played well, he was traded.

I was surprised at cb, since the cb  depth in the draft was nice.  But I LOVE the pick.

1. He's an outstanding shutdown corner. The Browns have desperately needed another Hanford Dixon. They got him. Hanford was 5' 11". EDIT: Ward may be a sixteenth of an inch shorter - but NFL.com has him at 5' 11".

2. Ward has 31 1/4 inch arms. That is a bit over the average I think. 4.32 forty, vertical jump 39", and  broad jump 136 ", folks - that is over eleven feet.

3. Ward is outstanding in the smarts dept, instinctive bigtime, and plays the run fearlessly.

4. Nfl.com has his grade at 6.31. That's very high. Immediate starter, imho - a future pro bowl corner.

5. Outstanding character - Donte Jackson and Ward both took part in a youth clinic - loves the game...

That's my take - the Browns just got their "Hanford Dixon". I won't be surprised if they draft another cb.

Love the Ward pick. We needed the shutdown CB far more than another DE. Now get Hurst to provide the inside pressure that Shelton didn't. A D-line of Garrett, Ogunjobi, Hurst & Ogbah with Brantley will be nice & don't forget Mr Peppers.

Mike

52 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

To say what? 

I like Ward, needs to work on adding some strength though.  Not my ideal #4 pick and feel he could have been had lower but, much like Chubb, I feel he'll make a good pro. 

That 

3 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Me "neither".

Most of us expected a fs like Minkah - but the Browns secondary has been arguably the worst in the NFL. Hue?/sassy sachi didn't see it. Dorsey sure did. TODD HALEY sure the hell did. How many times was it that the defense held an offense for three downs, and the offense laughed and just threw the ball for another first down?

That is why both starting cb's will be gone, I suppose. Taylor was a weak link, and although I thought McCourty played well, he was traded.

I was surprised at cb, since the cb  depth in the draft was nice.  But I LOVE the pick.

1. He's an outstanding shutdown corner. The Browns have desperately needed another Hanford Dixon. They got him. Hanford was 5' 11". EDIT: Ward may be a sixteenth of an inch shorter - but NFL.com has him at 5' 11".

2. Ward has 31 1/4 inch arms. That is a bit over the average I think. 4.32 forty, vertical jump 39", and  broad jump 136 ", folks - that is over eleven feet.

3. Ward is outstanding in the smarts dept, instinctive bigtime, and plays the run fearlessly.

4. Nfl.com has his grade at 6.31. That's very high. Immediate starter, imho - a future pro bowl corner.

5. Outstanding character - Donte Jackson and Ward both took part in a youth clinic - loves the game...

That's my take - the Browns just got their "Hanford Dixon". I won't be surprised if they draft another cb.

Right on.    I also would not bet that the Browns may even nab another CB....maybe even in round 2.  It seems to be a position of some depth in this draft.

1 hour ago, Bigalow80 said:

I think if the Browns add Landry in the top of the 2nd, this pick makes even more sense. You get the top rated corner and IMOP,  the second best pass rusher in the draft.

Bill Polian says Landry is a one trick pony....and not even the best at that one trick.

17 hours ago, syd said:

dude aint a joke he can play,,,,,,But no way in hell do you draft him over Chubb

Syd, you're a smart dude so hear me out.  What did Chubb accomplish that Ogbah is so incapable of?  Chubb had 10 sacks in 2016 and 10 sacks in 2017 at the college level while Ogbah had 10 sacks in 2014 and 12.5 sacks in 2015 in his soph and junior seasons.   Ogbah was the #1 rated DE in the NFL against the run by PFF prior to getting injured while he also led this team in sacks.

We drafted Ogbah at #32 overall in 2016 before drafting Garrett at #1 overall in 2017. That isn't exactly the neglect to the edge rush our fan base is getting all nipple twisted about. What we haven't done is DRAFT anyone good enough to cover guys like Antonio Brown, AJ Green and Michael Crabtree.

Did you watch our opener last year?  We bottled up their running game while we didn't  have a player that could cover/prevent Antonio Brown from going over 180 yards receiving.  Quicker edge rush wasn't going to keep the ball out of his hands.  A better corner could challenged him far more then the never we've been witnessing.  Opposing QBs had the highest or 2nd highest completion % against our secondary so Ward is a GREAT plan to help us combat this.

4 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Syd, you're a smart dude so hear me out.  What did Chubb accomplish that Ogbah is so incapable of?  Chubb had 10 sacks in 2016 and 10 sacks in 2017 at the college level while Ogbah had 10 sacks in 2014 and 12.5 sacks in 2015 in his soph and junior seasons.   Ogbah was the #1 rated DE in the NFL against the run by PFF prior to getting injured while he also led this team in sacks.

We drafted Ogbah at #32 overall in 2016 before drafting Garrett at #1 overall in 2017. That isn't exactly the neglect to the edge rush our fan base is getting all nipple twisted about. What we haven't done is DRAFT anyone good enough to cover guys like Antonio Brown, AJ Green and Michael Crabtree.

Did you watch our opener last year?  We bottled up their running game while we didn't  have a player that could cover/prevent Antonio Brown from going over 180 yards receiving.  Quicker edge rush wasn't going to keep the ball out of his hands.  A better corner could challenged him far more then the never we've been witnessing.  Opposing QBs had the highest or 2nd highest completion % against our secondary so Ward is a GREAT plan to help us combat this.

i allways have liked Ogbah and he really made a difference last year until he was hurt ,can he stay healthy ? also i thought a rotation of garrett ogbah and chubb could be pretty amazing But that being said I do believe Ward will be a pro bowler I was just shocked to hear his name called when Bpa (chubb) was there

1 hour ago, Mike H said:

My friend is a scout for an NFL team: Mo is off his team’s board. At least one team is still concerned

It may move him down to a round teams are willing to roll the dice on him Mike.

Stanford's Harrison Phillips is a bigger dude at 6'3" 300 lbs that actually had comparable-favorable stats for whatever they're worth. Aside from that he's got the wrestling background that taught/reinforced winning with leverage.

He had 102 tackles in 14 games with 16.5 TFL and 7 sacks

In comparison, Hurst is 6'1" 285 lbs

61 tackles in 13 games 14.5 TFL 5 sacks

5 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Plus Joe Haden is 5 foot 11 inches and 190 lb.

😎

WSS

And before he got his contract re-newed, AJ Green will be the first guy to tell you that once upon a time in Cleveland no corner frustrated him more than Haden.  And to be honest, he used to be a damn good tackler in spite of that size especially in the open field.  I like the highlight of Ward lighting up that TE.

After Haden got his dream contract here - he could never stay healthy which invited skeptics and mistrust from fans that once appreciated the earlier Joe. 

As for Ward, that was a pretty awesome highlight of him lighting up that TE.  I'm kind of stunned at the negative response he's getting especially considering how often some of our fans have complained about us avoiding promising prospects from The Ohio State. 

16 minutes ago, Flugel said:

It may move him down to a round teams are willing to roll the dice on him Mike.

Stanford's Harrison Phillips is a bigger dude at 6'3" 300 lbs that actually had comparable-favorable stats for whatever they're worth. Aside from that he's got the wrestling background that taught/reinforced winning with leverage.

He had 102 tackles in 14 games with 16.5 TFL and 7 sacks

In comparison, Hurst is 6'1" 285 lbs

61 tackles in 13 games 14.5 TFL 5 sacks

Interested to see which guy had more pressures. Hurst at a glance seems to be more disruptive. 

14 minutes ago, syd said:

i allways have liked Ogbah and he really made a difference last year until he was hurt ,can he stay healthy ? also i thought a rotation of garrett ogbah and chubb could be pretty amazing But that being said I do believe Ward will be a pro bowler I was just shocked to hear his name called when Bpa (chubb) was there

Chubb looks more like a beneficiary of a disappointing supply of edge rushers for the demand more than he looks like the next Reggie White.

In a passing era, a secondary without any corners that can cover makes about as much sense as handing a smart phone to a dumb user.  Why bother right?  Well, we haven't bothered until we selected Ward.

1 minute ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

Interested to see which guy had more pressures. Hurst at a glance seems to be more disruptive. 

I am too.  Yeah, Hurst is really quick and looks like a handful.  Mike brings up legit concerns and I'm guessing whoever takes him uses him in the rotation wisely. 

Archived