THE BROWNS BOARD

Denzel Ward

LondonBrown

Just now, BaconHound said:

If Ward as a Miami Hurricane I’m thinking many would have a different tune

Are we reading the same thread Bac?  People are complaining about drafting him in lieu of Chubb.  I actually tried to remind them we finally drafted a Buckeye after people have been complaining about the Browns previous tendencies of avoiding Buckeyes at all costs.

I don't want him BECAUSE he's a Buckeye - although looking at the recent reputation of reliable young DBs they are putting onto NFL teams should have me reconsidering that.  The guy has good film plus a proud Combine workout to back it. 

Outside of QB, Corner was easily our biggest need in the draft especially considering the WRs in our division.  Time to start competing where we should like our 1-31 record reminds us.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Flugel said:

Are we reading the same thread Bac?  People are complaining about drafting him in lieu of Chubb.  I actually tried to remind them we finally drafted a Buckeye after people have been complaining about the Browns previous tendencies of avoiding Buckeyes at all costs.

I don't want him BECAUSE he's a Buckeye - although looking at the recent reputation of reliable young DBs they are putting onto NFL teams should have me reconsidering that.  The guy has good film plus a proud Combine workout to back it. 

Outside of QB, Corner was easily our biggest need in the draft especially considering the WRs in our division.  Time to start competing where we should like our 1-31 record reminds us.

There are many in here defending the pick.    I think many of the sunshine pumpers called Joe Haden a shutdown corner, how many games did we win with him and how long was his shelf life?

The rules in the NFL are designed to allow the passing game to flourish and when you can’t pressure the QB it really doesn’t matter how good the DBs are.  And if I’m not mistaken Baker threw for 330 against OSU’s defense.

44 minutes ago, BaconHound said:

There are many in here defending the pick.    I think many of the sunshine pumpers called Joe Haden a shutdown corner, how many games did we win with him and how long was his shelf life?

The rules in the NFL are designed to allow the passing game to flourish and when you can’t pressure the QB it really doesn’t matter how good the DBs are.  And if I’m not mistaken Baker threw for 330 against OSU’s defense.

Never understood this argument. 

If we had Aaron Donald and won all of maybe one more game with him in the same time frame, you could still say the same thing and be all BUT HOW MANY GAMES HE WIN US BRUH!?!?   Losing doesn't preclude us from having a quality player at any given position.   It's a team game and we addressed a position of need with a top rated player.  A bit higher than I'd like, but addressed none-the-less.   

Let's not make this harder than it has to be.

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

And before he got his contract re-newed, AJ Green will be the first guy to tell you that once upon a time in Cleveland no corner frustrated him more than Haden.  And to be honest, he used to be a damn good tackler in spite of that size especially in the open field.  I like the highlight of Ward lighting up that TE.

After Haden got his dream contract here - he could never stay healthy which invited skeptics and mistrust from fans that once appreciated the earlier Joe. 

As for Ward, that was a pretty awesome highlight of him lighting up that TE.  I'm kind of stunned at the negative response he's getting especially considering how often some of our fans have complained about us avoiding promising prospects from The Ohio State. 

The negativity is because the Browns took a guy at #4 that they thought should have maybe gone at #7.....and passed on a guy that some thought could be gone at #2.........even though the guy we took played at a much bigger need than the guy we passed on. 

2 hours ago, RoyceRolls said:

While I would’ve gone with Chubb, it’s a win-win in my book and I’m not gonna complain about bringing in a guy like Ward. 

Totally agree. 

I would have preferred Chubb, possibly Fitzpatrick, but I'm fine with Ward - even if I think he's a bit of a reach at #4. (He's a tad on the smallish side if I were to nitpick)

8 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

Read an interesting comment earlier that players don’t put on weight during the season so he could be around 175 lbs in October/November. That’s a bit of a worry for me. 

Can't really put on weight in-season.  It's asking a lot.      That's what the off-season is for.

45 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Totally agree. 

I would have preferred Chubb, possibly Fitzpatrick, but I'm fine with Ward - even if I think he's a bit of a reach at #4. (He's a tad on the smallish side if I were to nitpick)

If he plays like #4 overall I'll be elated!

3 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Never understood this argument. 

If we had Aaron Donald and won all of maybe one more game with him in the same time frame, you could still say the same thing and be all BUT HOW MANY GAMES HE WIN US BRUH!?!?   Losing doesn't preclude us from having a quality player at any given position.   It's a team game and we addressed a position of need with a top rated player.  A bit higher than I'd like, but addressed none-the-less.   

Let's not make this harder than it has to be.

You miss my point or maybe I was unclear. At any rate positions in football can be ranked by importance.  That importance fluctuates depending on what type of game is being played.  For the most part through the history of the NFL the QB is the most important but other positions eb and flow.  DB is has become less and less a position of great affect since the rules have changed into a pass friendly league and WR have become more physically imposing.  When the Browns had an All-Pro DB in Haden it didn’t mean much in terms of stopping the other team.  I would argue that Donald, or any other dominant defensive end, would make more of a difference in disrupting the other teams game plan than a “shut down” corner.  I’d also add those “shut down” corners don’t seem to last very long these days and teams aren’t willing to pay to keep them so I’d rate the importance of adding a possible shutdown corner as not as high as a possible dominant DE

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

Totally agree. 

That's what your girlfriend said.......

Just now, BaconHound said:

You miss my point or maybe I was unclear. At any rate positions in football can be ranked by importance.  That importance fluctuates depending on what type of game is being played.  For the most part through the history of the NFL the QB is the most important but other positions eb and flow.  DB is has become less and less a position of great affect since the rules have changed into a pass friendly league and WR have become more physically imposing.  When the Browns had an All-Pro DB in Haden it didn’t mean much in terms of stopping the other team.  I would argue that Donald, or any other dominant defensive end, would make more of a difference in disrupting the other teams game plan than a “shut down” corner.  I’d also add those “shut down” corners don’t seem to last very long these days and teams aren’t willing to pay to keep them so I’d rate the importance of adding a possible shutdown corner as not as high as a possible dominant DE

Being the founder of the Chubb Train around here. I can tell you Bradley wasn't going to be "dominant".    He was a complimentary piece to Myles.    The exact same idea that The Donkeys have for  him and Von.       This isn't a loss that can't be overcome with quality DB play.   

I get your point, but there is still room for DB's in this league.   Plenty of young elite ones to prove my point. 

Just now, DieHardBrownsFan said:

That's what your girlfriend said.......

That Ward is a tad on the smallish side?

You aren't very intelligent, are you? It's like you are a walking, talking stereotypical Polack from Parma joke. 

8 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Being the founder of the Chubb Train around here. I can tell you Bradley wasn't going to be "dominant".    He was a complimentary piece to Myles.    The exact same idea that The Donkeys have for  him and Von.       This isn't a loss that can't be overcome with quality DB play.   

I get your point, but there is still room for DB's in this league.   Plenty of young elite ones to prove my point. 

That’s if Myles can stay healthy and motivated and I’m not holding my breath on either.  If the Browns are certain of that I would’ve taken Nelson at 4.  Even with a Thomas last year the O Line struggled and if you can’t control the lines of scrimmage it doesn’t really matter.

3 minutes ago, BaconHound said:

That’s if Myles can stay healthy and motivated and I’m not holding my breath on either.  If the Browns are certain of that I would’ve taken Nelson at 4.  Even with a Thomas last year the O Line struggled and if you can’t control the lines of scrimmage it doesn’t really matter.

Good news, quality pass rushers are dropping.   Hubbard is still on the board.

2 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Good news, quality pass rushers are dropping.   Hubbard is still on the board.

Don’t know much about Corbett but would like to see as much OL talent as we can accumulate.  If Mayfield is the future he definitely will need protection. 

2 minutes ago, BaconHound said:

Don’t know much about Corbett but would like to see as much OL talent as we can accumulate.  If Mayfield is the future he definitely will need protection. 

I'm curious if the Browns think he can stay at tackle though? Seems like he could be a candidate to move inside - which makes it a curious move... We'll see. 

55 minutes ago, BaconHound said:

Or maybe you just need both so supposedly we got Garrett as the pass rushing DEN now we have the shutdown corner so we can use them bothOr maybe you just need both so supposedly we got Garrett as the pass rushing DEN now we have the shutdown corner so we can use them both

6 hours ago, Flugel said:

I am too.  Yeah, Hurst is really quick and looks like a handful.  Mike brings up legit concerns and I'm guessing whoever takes him uses him in the rotation wisely. 

Seems like concerns weren’t limited to one team. Hurst is RD1 talent. 

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

That Ward is a tad on the smallish side?

You aren't very intelligent, are you? It's like you are a walking, talking stereotypical Polack from Parma joke. 

he is the king of the ignorant one liners (like his pal trump)

1 minute ago, syd said:

he is the king of the ignorant one liners (like his pal trump)

He made the mistake of going after me right after I joined this board last summer.

I've taken great joy in Shmucking with the mouth-breather every chance I get since then. I got him so flustered that he and calfox ran to the moderators and reported me.

Pathetic snowflakes, they are. 

Archived