THE BROWNS BOARD

Jonathan Paul Manziel

Adoug319

• Replies 16k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wooooow. That's impressive

Now someone go read all 762 pages and find out who thought this was a good idea

My first post was that he'd be a good pro but a durability concern.

I didn't mean showing up wasted to practice and flying to Vegas the day before gameday ... but no one ever predicts what the franchise delivers.

Enjoy the ride on this next phase ... it will be a lot of things ... but not what you think.

Z

Sad thing Z, if he had Peyton Manning's dedication to the game, he might have made it, those highlights show a guy who has some talent. Until he gets the off-field Johnny under control- he's toast as far as the NFL is concerned.

PS must have taken you a good amount of time to merge all those threads.

I was one of the ones who was excited about the Browns drafting Manziel. There were red flags some saw though such as his mechanics, lack of size and style of football that might not translate well into the NFL. I just saw us getting a Heisman trophy winning QB who was exciting. I never watched too much of Manziel in college but did see him play in some of the bigger games like when he led A& M over Alabama.

My excitement went way down when the photos came out of him with the rolled up bill in the restroom and drunk riding on the inflatable swan. My doubts were confirmed with his wasted rookie season. I got a little optimistic when he went to rehab and in the first game when he came in after Josh got hurt I saw a different QB than the one who came in the Cincy game and started getting optimistic about JM again. Later when it came out he had been drinking I knew it was going to be bad. You cannot go months in rehab and start drinking again. It never works. Some thought his drinking was minor at the time which for most would be but not someone who has a huge problem with drinking and just got out of rehab.

Where does Manziel go from here? The CFL, Arena football or a reality tv show? I don't wish him any ill will and hope he can get himself back into rehab and start over. It was our fault we drafted him and the people getting paid the big bucks should have scouted him better.

I was one of the ones who was excited about the Browns drafting Manziel. There were red flags some saw though such as his mechanics, lack of size and style of football that might not translate well into the NFL. I just saw us getting a Heisman trophy winning QB who was exciting. I never watched too much of Manziel in college but did see him play in some of the bigger games like when he led A& M over Alabama.

My excitement went way down when the photos came out of him with the rolled up bill in the restroom and drunk riding on the inflatable swan. My doubts were confirmed with his wasted rookie season. I got a little optimistic when he went to rehab and in the first game when he came in after Josh got hurt I saw a different QB than the one who came in the Cincy game and started getting optimistic about JM again. Later when it came out he had been drinking I knew it was going to be bad. You cannot go months in rehab and start drinking again. It never works. Some thought his drinking was minor at the time which for most would be but not someone who has a huge problem with drinking and just got out of rehab.

Where does Manziel go from here? The CFL, Arena football or a reality tv show? I don't wish him any ill will and hope he can get himself back into rehab and start over. It was our fault we drafted him and the people getting paid the big bucks should have scouted him better.

Look, we're fans so our inner chest has a tendency to intercept our reasoning under the dome. The QB position in the NFL doesn't flip on and off like a light switch for someone that prioritizes partying and nightlife throughout the work week today.

OBF, the 1 thing that excites me about a new mind set in our front office is this one seems like it will seriously count OUR history here as it prepares to set the compass forward. Other regimes had too big of egos getting in the way thinking OUR recent history was anything pertinent to their walk/tenure. They always had the pompous we know a little more about this stuff than fans do before we went ahead and hired a sissy like Pat Shurmur. Holmgren slept in later than Barnabus Collins (he was a vampire for any of our younger fans here).

While Jimmy has made as many rookie mistakes as Eddie DeBartolo made early on in SF - he's just as competitive in the unwillingness to give up. What he did for to land the rock star Head Coaching candidate reminds me of what he did to intercept a Manning family tradition at Ole Miss. For those that think Haslam isn't one to care about the football program he follows/owns - guess whose private jet picked up Peyton Manning on behalf of the UT boosters for an initial campus visit that finished the job? I also like that every time our season ended in disappointment - he said the blame starts with me. EVERY time Farmer showed me an inability to acknowledge his mistakes - I understood why he could never stop making mistakes. I'm ecstatic Jimmy understood Farmer was a mistake. I think he knows Farmer also destroyed any shot of Pettine getting back some of the guys he lost in the locker room due to never ending frustration of Farmer. 2 things I will always remember about Pettine, he inherited the chaos of 2013 plus a Josh Gordon suspension that was supposed to be a full year and started this team off 7-4 in 2014. That's as close to somebody walking on Lake Erie as I've seen. The 2nd thing is he's the one that got Manziel to not only go to treatment but to take it seriously enough to have it work for the short duration it did. In the end, he needed to go for his own sake as much as our's. The reason he never wanted Manziel is because he knew the inevitable outcome far better than Farmer. Farmer was so bad, I almost found myself saying I miss Banner and that ain't good.

wooooow. That's impressive

Now someone go read all 762 pages and find out who thought this was a good idea

I was against it from the beginning. Showed some flashes this year that maybe he could do it but clearly would rather party than be a football player. Too bad for him.

Look, we're fans so our inner chest has a tendency to intercept our reasoning under the dome. The QB position in the NFL doesn't flip on and off like a light switch for someone that prioritizes partying and nightlife throughout the work week today.

OBF, the 1 thing that excites me about a new mind set in our front office is this one seems like it will seriously count OUR history here as it prepares to set the compass forward. Other regimes had too big of egos getting in the way thinking OUR recent history was anything pertinent to their walk/tenure. They always had the pompous we know a little more about this stuff than fans do before we went ahead and hired a sissy like Pat Shurmur. Holmgren slept in later than Barnabus Collins (he was a vampire for any of our younger fans here).

While Jimmy has made as many rookie mistakes as Eddie DeBartolo made early on in SF - he's just as competitive in the unwillingness to give up. What he did for to land the rock star Head Coaching candidate reminds me of what he did to intercept a Manning family tradition at Ole Miss. For those that think Haslam isn't one to care about the football program he follows/owns - guess whose private jet picked up Peyton Manning on behalf of the UT boosters for an initial campus visit that finished the job? I also like that every time our season ended in disappointment - he said the blame starts with me. EVERY time Farmer showed me an inability to acknowledge his mistakes - I understood why he could never stop making mistakes. I'm ecstatic Jimmy understood Farmer was a mistake. I think he knows Farmer also destroyed any shot of Pettine getting back some of the guys he lost in the locker room due to never ending frustration of Farmer. 2 things I will always remember about Pettine, he inherited the chaos of 2013 plus a Josh Gordon suspension that was supposed to be a full year and started this team off 7-4 in 2014. That's as close to somebody walking on Lake Erie as I've seen. The 2nd thing is he's the one that got Manziel to not only go to treatment but to take it seriously enough to have it work for the short duration it did. In the end, he needed to go for his own sake as much as our's. The reason he never wanted Manziel is because he knew the inevitable outcome far better than Farmer. Farmer was so bad, I almost found myself saying I miss Banner and that ain't good.

The thing I like about Haslam is that I believe he is committed to bringing winning football to Cleveland. He has gotten off to a rocky start but I prefer him over too laid back Randy Lerner. I wanted to believe Farmer was the right person at GM but time after time he kept making mistakes. The last straw for me was the horrible wasted signing of Dwayne Bowe. There were lots of red flags that Bowe was past his prime. Farmer said it was his decision on Manziel and not Haslam and I'm sure it was but maybe Farmer knowing Haslam's feelings about Manziel was trying to please his boss? Who knows but the leaked scouting report on Manziel by the Patriots was pretty much spot on and screamed don't take him. What was our scouting reports saying?

I have always liked Pettine and if any NFL coach was ever set up to fail coming in the league it was him.

We’ve Obtained Johnny Manziel’s Scouting Report From the New England Patriots

http://brobible.com/sports/article/johnny-manziel-scouting-report-new-england-patriots/

The thing I like about Haslam is that I believe he is committed to bringing winning football to Cleveland. He has gotten off to a rocky start but I prefer him over too laid back Randy Lerner. I wanted to believe Farmer was the right person at GM but time after time he kept making mistakes. The last straw for me was the horrible wasted signing of Dwayne Bowe. There were lots of red flags that Bowe was past his prime. Farmer said it was his decision on Manziel and not Haslam and I'm sure it was but maybe Farmer knowing Haslam's feelings about Manziel was trying to please his boss? Who knows but the leaked scouting report on Manziel by the Patriots was pretty much spot on and screamed don't take him. What was our scouting reports saying?

I have always liked Pettine and if any NFL coach was ever set up to fail coming in the league it was him.

We’ve Obtained Johnny Manziel’s Scouting Report From the New England Patriots

http://brobible.com/sports/article/johnny-manziel-scouting-report-new-england-patriots/

763 pages all on Johnny?

Still living in Neverland, a.k.a. W. Hollywood, with all the pirate/enabler hangers-on. Still under the delusion someone wants him as is. Clueless in Californicate.

http://fox8.com/2016/03/14/watch-and-listen-johnny-manziel-says-of-course-ill-play-again/#

Wait til the money runs out....as he is spending it like a drunken sailor........WAIT...He IS a drunken sailor...of sorts. (he goes from port to port....meeting women wherever he goes).

Will his daddy cut him off when his own money runs out? Does anyone care.

So what's going on with this thread? Tens of thousands of responses? Or what? Is it some kind of a glitch?

WSS

I merged all the Johnny Threads into one Super Johnny Thread.

Zombo

--Just because I could

• 2 weeks later...

"Johnny Manziel does have interest from teams, but they seem to be waiting for @NFL disciplinary process to be concluded. That's an issue."

-- Ian Rapoport (via twitter / NFL dot com.)

Among the endless stream of recent CLE QB's, Johnny (Football / Fuckwad) or whatever name he goes by on this board impressed me as a gamer who can play at the NFL level. He certainly exhibited maturity and work ethic issues and the members here seem very hostile towards him, but I like the way he played.

As I can recall, the only two QB's who entered the NFL after their sophomore year were Johnny F. and Todd Marinovich, who also suffered from substance abuse problems and maturity issues.

Everyone already knew that he was a young, immature playboy and a party-animal, with the endless pictures of him with bimbos in one hand and alcohol in the other, and let's not forget that priceless image of him with the rolled-up $20.

The only thing we did not know is if he could play at the NFL level.

Now we know that he can.

Consider Mike Vick. He was a weed-smoking-dog-fighting punk from the ghetto. He was the last to attend team meetings and the first to leave and presumably missed meetings and violated team rules as well, but his play of the field set all that aside.

Todd Marinovich was consumed by his drug abuse.

Dan Marino is in the Hall of Fame. (I'm his age and from Pittsburgh so I know the truth)

Some can overcome it, while other can't.

The Browns wasted this kid. Good, or shitty, he never had the leadership required to get the most out of him. Someone might provide the right tools. THe Browns failed with this pick.

har-dee-har-har-har!! and the browns failed every other pick that didn't pan out?

how about this: they sucked before we picked them and continued sucking after?

Everyone already knew that he was a young, immature playboy and a party-animal, with the endless pictures of him with bimbos in one hand and alcohol in the other, and let's not forget that priceless image of him with the rolled-up $20.

The only thing we did not know is if he could play at the NFL level.

Now we know that he can.

Consider Mike Vick. He was a weed-smoking-dog-fighting punk from the ghetto. He was the last to attend team meetings and the first to leave and presumably missed meetings and violated team rules as well, but his play of the field set all that aside.

Todd Marinovich was consumed by his drug abuse.

Dan Marino is in the Hall of Fame. (I'm his age and from Pittsburgh so I know the truth)

Some can overcome it, while other can't.

As to being able to play- maybe.

He HAS to retire the Party Animal if he wants another shot in the NFL. I mean, were you following when he basically gave the finger to Pettine, and there were a couple instances what he missed treatments because he was so wasted?

As to being able to play- maybe.

He HAS to retire the Party Animal if he wants another shot in the NFL. I mean, were you following when he basically gave the finger to Pettine, and there were a couple instances what he missed treatments because he was so wasted?

I will defer to your expertise on those instances.

Yeh, I missed those instances.

I understand that he was rightfully under the microscope in CLE.

I respect the action to release him for his lack-of-maturity related issues both on-the-field and off.

I did not believe that he was an NFL quality starter, but his play proved me wrong.

He had some very good games on a very bad team and he is still a rookie in the sense that he has fewer than 16 starts.

TEN at CLE: The Browns had a good running game. Manziel was limited to 15 attempts and had a 133.9 passer rating in that win. That's the way to treat a rookie / young QB. Give him a good running game and limit his attempts.

CLE at PIT: The Browns had no running game and put the whole game on Manziel's shoulders.

CLE rushed for 15 yards on 14 attempts, and 11 of those 15 yards were by Manziel who passed for 372 yards for a 95.8 rating and was sacked 6 times for a loss of 45 yards via sack. That is not the way to treat a new QB.

Statistically, he is in the middle of the pack for first / second year QB's.

He can play in the NFL if he gets his head together.

"Johnny Manziel does have interest from teams, but they seem to be waiting for @NFL disciplinary process to be concluded. That's an issue."

-- Ian Rapoport (via twitter / NFL dot com.)

Among the endless stream of recent CLE QB's, Johnny (Football / Fuckwad) or whatever name he goes by on this board impressed me as a gamer who can play at the NFL level. He certainly exhibited maturity and work ethic issues and the members here seem very hostile towards him, but I like the way he played.

As I can recall, the only two QB's who entered the NFL after their sophomore year were Johnny F. and Todd Marinovich, who also suffered from substance abuse problems and maturity issues.

He hired Drew Rosenhaus, and now Rapoport trickles out something, and a Steeler fan rushes to post it on the Browns Board.

Don't care anymore.

Moratorium on starting Manziel threads

We'd like to talk Browns for awhile.

Zombo

Archived