THE BROWNS BOARD

Jonathan Paul Manziel

Adoug319

Browns announced that they would not be allowing the national media to attend rookie mini camp this weekend. Said they want the focus to be on all the rookies and they want Manziel to be focused on football. Said they don't want to have a Tebow Mania situation.

Good! I like this decision a lot. Sucks for us fans, but it's the right choice.

• Replies 16k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honest point here about why johnny was a great pick even when I don't personally care for him that much.

Let's say he busts....the other 5 players also have a lot of talent, and should be solid contributors based on their position and draft slot. Gilbert will get beat, but he'll also intercept quite a few passes. I think many here are underestimating west.....and bitonio is the ZBS guard this team needed. That should be 3 real good players for this team moving forward. If any of the other picks pan out, and that may happen, bigger bonus. Extra first rounder next year....AND, a well managed cap to react and address deficiencies next year with young guys on rookie deals . So going forward, long term outlook is pretty good.

Now, I know the circus is going to annoy some of you. Be the adult you are and deal with it. Because what I'm about to suggest as best case scenario is gonna have the media pressure cooker ready to explode.

What if we have those 3 players, cap and 2015 draft situation while having a johnny that actually plays above average at the QB position for 5 years? Decent QB play is all weve really needed.....shitty QB play has held us back. If hoyer can man this ship till johnny is ready....half to preferably a full year (getting Gordon back, next year), then this could be our run. THIS could be it. Don't be bitter and miss the very thing you've been clamouring about for 40 years. I understand the win now, but if anyone truly wants a Superbowl, the best course is yo let johnny sit....he has to learn the mental game. If he lines up acroos from a lebeau defense his first game, he truly could get killed. That's chaos compared to what he's used to, and could possibly do more damage than hurting his feelings by making the media sensation sit. If he starts immediately, then I'm going to be worried.

I'm not a johnny fan....but after thinking about the past few nights and seeing how this draft played out, I think we are ready to compete. I don't want another 2007 flash in the pan good season.....I want to beat the hell out of the league, and if farmer and co. can remain patient and keep the media pressure from altering what I think is the actual plan, the browns may be writing important franchise (NFL) history the next few years.

Go sit and spin mike. Its about all you'd be good at. You mistakenly think I'm against the pick. Try harder next time...actually don't. I enjoy laughing at you.

Please run out and buy a pair. :)

Browns announced that they would not be allowing the national media to attend rookie mini camp this weekend. Said they want the focus to be on all the rookies and they want Manziel to be focused on football. Said they don't want to have a Tebow Mania situation.

That's right- however, it's going to get even worse eventually.

Howdy y'all,

I was directed to this site at the suggestion of a very good friend who has been a lifelong Browns fan who recently completed his PhD at Texas A&M and is now a professor in Florida.

I'm a proud Fightin' Texas Aggie, a former Cowboys fan, and newest member of the Cleveland Browns fanbase. Having followed the Cowboys faithfully since the early 1980's, I've finally reached my threshold for Jerry Jones' piss poor leadership and management. Not that y'all care, but he has repeatedly violated the fanbase, and this fan has made the decision to end that foolish nonsense. That, combined with Johnny's arrival in Cleveland, plus the loyalty of the Browns fanbase made the decision easy.

I personally attended every home game Johnny Manziel ever played in college, and was somewhere between floored, inspired, and speechless (in the best way imaginable) to witness the overwhelming Browns family response to Johnny's selection. Your excitement will be affirmed and exponentially grown once you see him play in-person! The guy is unbelievable.

The Texas Aggie fanbase has a lot more in common with you guys than you likely realize, but I simply want to say hello and I look forward to getting up to speed. I've already bought my Browns Manziel jersey to proudly wear in Texas. I hope you guys tailgate in the fall...I need somewhere to go when I fly up for a game this Fall.

Gig'em, God Bless, and Go Browns!

Visit the Tailgate page. Though we don't hold "formal tailgates anymore, there's one exception- when our overseas delegation arrives.

The only people upset about the influx of Johnny/new Browns fans are the same people who were against picking him, and are hoping he fails. True Browns fans, they say... yep.

I'd rather have the bandwagoners (ESPN ranked CLE 32nd in their opening power rankings, so is it a bandwagon?) than the salty old douches who can't accept being wrong and will root against their own team just to feel good about their "analysis" and opinions.

Truly a sad day.

Mike, don't be a jerk. Manziel plays for the Browns- I haven't seen anyone here hoping he flops, just so they can say "I told you so". That's counter productive. FYI- I didn't like the Quinn pick either- (Weeden less so- I was as now, in the "show me" mode) but I gave both of them the benefit of the doubt until they conclusively proved they sucked. Which incidentally is less than you're currently giving Hoyer.

They are trying to deal with reality outside of the hype machine as well they should. The time to really jump on the hype wagon for Johnny is AFTER he proves he can play in the NFL at a high level. If we hype him like the national media and he flops everyone gets pissed. I think they are also trying to set expectations with the fanbase that there is a good chance he will not start at least at the beginning of next season. They really seem to be committed to starting whomever wins the job as well they should.

While nothing will accomplish it I am sure they are trying to mitigage the QB controversy that is sure to follow if Hoyer starts as well. From a PR standpoint they are in a much tougher position than all of the media outside of Cleveland.

The only people upset about the influx of Johnny/new Browns fans are the same people who were against picking him, and are hoping he fails. True Browns fans, they say... yep.

I'd rather have the bandwagoners (ESPN ranked CLE 32nd in their opening power rankings, so is it a bandwagon?) than the salty old douches who can't accept being wrong and will root against their own team just to feel good about their "analysis" and opinions.

Truly a sad day.

As you may know, I was not one of them. Recall that I said that I was not wedded to anyone, nor opposed to anyone. I am in favor of whomever wears the Brown and Orange.

As for the Browns being ranked 32d in the power rankings. Good. Let everybody else take this team lightly.

Everybody initially took Napolean lightly, and all he did was practically conquer the world.

Hello all, this is my first post on this message board. As my username suggests, I'm an A&M grad that is the newest Browns fan after the Manziel pick. I grew up in Houston and the Oilers left town when I was around 10 years old, so I didn't follow the NFL much after that and got into A&M football. With Manziel heading to Cleveland, I now have an NFL team to follow. Really looking forward to it, and from what I can tell browsing some topics, this looks like a great forum.

I'm posting this topic because I'd like to talk about Manziel's passing ability, which is often overlooked and under-discussed. If someone didn't know who Johnny Manziel is, they'd watch ESPN (particularly that fake hair bumbling idiot Kiper) and assume Manziel is simply an athlete playing QB who can't throw, someone in the mold of Denard Robinson or Eric Crouch. But if you look at the stats, that couldn't be further from the truth. What's really remarkable about these stats is A&M had a top 10 strength of schedule each year in the most difficult conference in the country.

Here are Manziel's 2012 (RS freshman) passing stats, with the national rank in parentheses beside it.

Completion % - 68.0 (T-8th)

Yards - 3706 (T-15th)

Yards/att - 8.5 (T-12th)

TD - 26 (T-24)

INT - 9

TD/INT - 2.9

QB rating - 155.3 (15th)

His 2013 stats are even better.

Completion % - 69.9 (4th)

Yards - 4114 (8th)

Yards/att - 9.6 (4th)

TD - 34 (T-4)

INT - 13

TD/INT - 2.6

QB rating - 172.9 (3rd)

I've never seen or heard any of those numbers from any form of sports media. They all seem to feed off of each other and continue the mindless banter about how Manziel won't be able to run in the NFL, how he has a weak arm and can't make all the throws, etc. It's ridiclous. I'm not sure if any of y'all were able to watch his pro day workout, but it was incredibly impressive.

I understand why they focus on his running/scrambling ability. It's rare for a QB and he has created some incredible plays by doing just that. But to completely ignore the passing part of his game is an injustice to Johnny. I can see the casual fan not understanding how good of a passer he is, but for these experts, it's their job to mention that stuff.

I've watched every college snap from Manziel and he's one of the most talented football players I've ever seen. Fiercely competitive and hates to lose more than anything. I think y'all got a great one and I can't wait to see how he develops to prove the naysayers wrong.

Quoting a college QBs statistics is not necessarily that illustrative of that players ability to make is as a QB in the NFL.

I suggest that most of the most renowned QB busts in the past had outstanding college stats....Ryan Leaf, Jamarcus Russell et al.

Now, to me JFFs biggest asset is his chutzpah. It has to be given his frame. His innate football intellect goes hand in hand with that.

As you may know, I was not one of them. Recall that I said that I was not wedded to anyone, nor opposed to anyone. I am in favor of whomever wears the Brown and Orange.

As for the Browns being ranked 32d in the power rankings. Good. Let everybody else take this team lightly.

Everybody initially took Napolean lightly, and all he did was practically conquer the world.

Pffft, Napoleon. Pussy.

New England’s Manziel scouting report reportedly is leaked

Posted by Mike Florio on May 9, 2014, 7:46 PM EDT
cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjj

The New England Patriots took a long look at some of the top quarterbacks in the 2014 draft. Regarding Johnny Manziel, they reportedly didn’t like what they saw very much.

BroBible.com claims that it has obtained the Patriots’ scouting report on Manziel, and the entire thing has been posted online.

It looks legitimate, and it expresses various worries about Manziel’s off-field habits, including a somewhat bizarre reference to “outlaw bloodlines.” The report also describes Manziel as a “spoiled brat” who gets an allowance from his grandfather and whose father bought him a luxury car.

From a football standpoint, Texas Tech sources told the Patriots that coaches “can’t yell/scream at him or he shuts down; has walked away from [former Texas A&M offensive coordinator Kliff] Kingsbury in the past,” and that Manziel doesn’t study the game.

If the report is legitimate (and if it’s counterfeit it’s an excellent job), the question becomes how it surfaced. It reportedly came from “an anonymous tipster, who is close to BroBible family,” a description that seems to be a bit inconsistent.

Within the NFL, speculation (and to be clear, it’s just speculation) has arisen that the leaking of the scouting report bears in some way, shape, or form the fingerprints of former Browns G.M. Mike Lombardi, who was fired by Cleveland and hired by New England. Lombardi’s motivation, if the speculation is accurate, would be to make the Browns look bad for taking Manziel.

It’s an obvious starting point for the Patriots and/or the NFL if/when this is investigated. It’s so obvious that we have a hard time believing Lombardi had anything to do with it.

The far better theory would be that someone within the Patriots organization who doesn’t like Lombardi leaked it simply to create a hassle for Lombardi, which this situation undoubtedly will.

I agree with you that good college stats do not always translate to NFL QB success. Virtually every QB ever drafted had good numbers in college. But that wasn't the point of my post. I was just trying to point out that Manziel's passing and stats are on par or better with the other QBs in the draft and are better than he gets credit for. For example, Manziel had superior passing stats in virtually every category compared to Bortles (completion %, yards, yds/att, TD/INT ratio, passer rating) but I doubt that was mentioned at all in any media outlet. All they focused on was "he can't run like that and take hits in the NFL" (which I agree with), but completely ignored his passing game.

People have commented on how his throwing has improved in 2013 to a good level. However, there are still problems with that side of his game relating to looking off open receivers and his capacity to operate within a structured playbook.

No college QB was ever drafted with crappy stats (except Tom Savage?). Check Colt McCoy's stats from college, they were pretty decent. Brandon Weeden threw for 4700 yards and 37 TDs to 13 INTs in his final year.

I agree with you that good college stats do not always translate to NFL QB success. Virtually every QB ever drafted had good numbers in college. But that wasn't the point of my post. I was just trying to point out that Manziel's passing and stats are on par or better with the other QBs in the draft and are better than he gets credit for. For example, Manziel had superior passing stats in virtually every category compared to Bortles (completion %, yards, yds/att, TD/INT ratio, passer rating) but I doubt that was mentioned at all in any media outlet. All they focused on was "he can't run like that and take hits in the NFL" (which I agree with), but completely ignored his passing game.

I don't think he would have been considered a probably first round draft pick if all anyone focused on were his ability to "run around and be subject to hits". I think his ability's as a passer were a given, and not really questioned. It was the parts of his game that were in question that indeed were focused on....but I don't think for one moment that he passing ability was questioned....it just wasn't the sexy part of his story.

Johnny came in and saved us after the lost decade of Aggie Football. Now he will fulfill his destiny of reviving another storied franchise that has lost its way. Get ready to say things about your team you haven't in years, because Johnny will improve the entire team, not just the QB position.

If you haven't yet, go and watch the replay of the Chick Fil A bowl from this year, and watch Johnny put an entire team on his back and come back from a record deficit.

The keymaster returns.

Brash has won before, brash will win again. I'm sure he's a guy the team can rally around. If he stays upright.

True, but brashness is not a trait JF and Wilson have in common... and that was my point.

So? Is he gonna get his wittle feelings hurt? Should I be scared? LMFAO.

Look, as a Browns fan, I do hope he proves me wrong cause he's gonna be (already is) a lot of distraction for a team that needs focus, not a circus. We've witnessed enough of a circus on the offensive side of the ball. What this team needs is a true leader, not a sideshow. Whether your man crush can be that, IMO, remains to be seen. I will do no bootlicking until the kid proves it on the pro level. Everything he did in college is irrelevant now. I don't like the pick. I won't apologize for that, but I am more than willing to eat crow if he should succeed.

Pretty good stuff for a noob... ;)

Highlights are going to be the bulk of this kind of play so unless all you doubters have watched the hundreds and hundreds hours of film then you just don't know.

There's hundreds and hundreds of hours of Manziel footage?

26 college @ 3 hr/ea = 78

30 HS varsity @ 2/ea = 60

8 HS JV @ 1.5hr/ea = 12

16 Jr HS @ 1 hr/ ea = 16

40 Pop Warner @ 1/ea = 40

TotalPossibleFootage =206... by God... you are kinda correct!

Brilliant move by the FO. All the publicity with less distraction.

It's much easier to teach a game changer to dial it down than it is to teach a one dimensional QB to dial it up.

The it factor is a real thing. When's the last time a Browns QB trotted onto the field when we were down and you thought "He's got this." For me, it was Brian Hoyer against Minnesota. Before that...I couldn't tell you.

1. Who is on that "dial down" list? Steve Young? Seriously, I have trouble coming up with names that I do not immediately cross off because either they never really dialed it down or were diminished when they did, e.g., Favre and Vick.

2. Even I did not feel it with Hoyer when he trotted on against the Vikes... but it did not take more than a couple passes to see "it".

While I was certainly hopeful for Bernie, my one real "it" QB experience was Brian the 1st, Sipe, when he went in for Phipps in his first Pre-season game. Had you been around, I'm pretty sure you would have, too.

Howdy y'all,

Howdy back and we'll talk again when you're a Browns fan for real.

Truly a sad day.

So dense... so diluded...

Nothing has been proven except your inexhaustible ability to cling to your fanciful, empty narrative...

No one will root against us simply to be right about JM, least of all me...

If he turns out to be the guy, I'll gladly admit being wrong.

If he turns out not to be, you will say "I always preferred Teddy B"... because you did... for months...

Now post your little JF gif again since you have nothing else to add to the conversation...

Again....you seem to think I hate the kid. Hence my comment. Youre inability to decipher written word is amazing for a so called journalist.

It is amazing isn't it?

Johnny came in and saved us after the lost decade of Aggie Football. Now he will fulfill his destiny of reviving another storied franchise that has lost its way. Get ready to say things about your team you haven't in years, because Johnny will improve the entire team, not just the QB position.

If you haven't yet, go and watch the replay of the Chick Fil A bowl from this year, and watch Johnny put an entire team on his back and come back from a record deficit.

I thought Ryan Tannehill did that. I mean, hell, he was an A&M Qb drafted a lot higher than JFF, no? ;)

Archived