THE BROWNS BOARD

Jonathan Paul Manziel

Adoug319

If no one has seen the presser of him and Gilbert on the Browns home page, you need to. The kid does not talk like the little bastard he is cut out to be. The whole money thing with his hands was something that a guy on his team made up as a secert hand shake during games, and kinda blew up. Johnny has done nothing really wrong off the field that deserves so much shit. The media has build the JF persona, he is just living the dream. You know damn well if any other player had that kind of attention, that they would do the same thing. Look at Mike Sam the first openly gay player, hed said football will come first, now he has a damn show on the Oprah network. Its time to buy in guys and girls. Manziel is the kind of fun Cleveland hasnt had in awhile. There will be a media circus, so what. Just enjoy the games.

Money thing with hand. Not only is it gay. His teammates nor Him came up with it.

• Replies 16k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think as browns fans we HAVE to buy into it correct? i mean he's on our team which means we want him to succeed. it's that simple.

now does that mean that everyone likes the hype that has become JF? no. some people will never like that. i'll put it down to a generational thing. the older people on this board remember the restrictive way we were brought up. either it was a class (the noun) thing or being raised in a time where brash and loud behavior were frowned upon. we were brow beaten by the pervasive tone of the day. hell you didn't see a man and woman in the same bed on tv until the brady bunch in the 70's. it was the boy scouts (no not gay) and 'always do the right thing' and 'help the old lady across the street' era that is totally lost on this new generation. it's all about what you can do for me and you owe me something.

so to me (i'll speak for myself as i don't want to get group a whole bunch of people into my own mindset) this whole hip hop generation, the twitter and facebook scene where everyone is out there doing what they want and daring someone to tell them to STFU (been to a movie in a while?) personifies the spoiled brat dickhead legend of JF. now if he weren't on the browns i'd be a hater and wishing for the guy to get crushed on his very first play, i'm not gonna lie.

and to those who say just jump on board, i'll say hey just win and shut the fuck up. and turn your fucking music down too punks!

hee hee hee.

Wrong about what? I said I didn't want Manziel to be drafted by the Browns. Well, he did get drafted by the Browns, So Mr Jesus avatar, St. Francis said don't sweat the things you can't change. I hope he proves me wrong- big time. If he lives up to the hype, he'll be to football what Tiger Woods is to golf- and incidentally there's a bunch of folks that don't like Tiger either. Should he flop, Cleveland will be to the NFL as the Washington Generals are to the Harlem Globetrotters. BTW, even if he turns out to be "great"- that doesn't necessarily mean I have to like him- need an example? Ray Lewis.

At least from my POV, his weakness outweighed his strengths. Yeah, I saw those spectacular plays- I also saw him take off running with receivers wide open. Mike H. seems to think everyone who doesn't already worship at the Manziel altar is somehow a hatah- and coming from this Browns fan, he's full of shit. Difference is the backers minimize his weaknesses, the skeptics (that would be me and a few others) maximize them. I said pre-draft I thought JF was an injury risk with his style of play- MH oh no, anyone can get injured. Well you know who else said on ESPN today JF will get hurt with that style of play? Bill Parcells- so go put that in your pipe and smoke it Mike.

TC, let's just say I want to see the "it" factor for at least a full (injury free) season before I say wow, that JF was really a great pick. 20 qb busts and counting will make a skeptic out of you.

I've seen Big Ben take off with receivers open. I've seen Luck take off with receivers open. I've seen Bortles, Bridgewater, Garopollo, et al. take off with receivers open.

Nobody is doubting that he can't continue that style of play in the NFL. That's why he won't be playing like that in the NFL. Same way Shaw won't be taking 95% of his snaps from shotgun in the NFL. Of course Manziel will be asked to change his game. But having that scrambling ability is still a great asset.

I think he is just pretending and is actually straight. He just wanted to be drafted and knew he wasn't very good. That and he wants to be the spokesman for Skittles.

For a first team all SEC selection, and the co-Defensive SEC POTY, he has to be at least somewhat talented...

About sick and tired of seeing them glorify that trash. They should be interviewing this guy who actually did something more heroic than just come out the closet.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2052078-us-army-ranger-alejandro-villanueva-signs-contract-with-eagles

This is going to work against Sam. His focus needs to be 100% on football and he won't be able to accomplish that by adding a circus around himself.

It will be awkward when he is cut from the team and as he's crying on his way out he's trying to hug/butt grab every player between him and the door.

It will be awkward when he is cut from the team and as he's crying on his way out he's trying to hug/butt grab every player between him and the door.

Probably nowhere near as awkward as your post...

About sick and tired of seeing them glorify that trash. They should be interviewing this guy who actually did something more heroic than just come out the closet.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2052078-us-army-ranger-alejandro-villanueva-signs-contract-with-eagles

^^^^^ This. Don't neccesarily agree with the "trash" part but a great story. These are the guys that should be getting the publicity.

Just kiddin. She is doing it on Sam of St. Louis.

I say let all the cameras go there and away from us. Don't want a Tebow thing at our camp.

http://www.outsports.com/2014/5/14/5718452/michael-sam-gay-nfl-oprah-documenary

That Sam will be cut and will sue the NFL.

Correct, I'm totally not sorry for either.

You've been consumed by hate and bitterness while I'm too busy laughing and having fun

Just picked up this little gem too, get em while they're hot.

Walter, I most definitely am not consumed by hate and bitterness, and you're totally clueless if you think I am. For the record (your reading comprehension is poor) I've already said multiple times I hope JF does really well. I learned a long time ago- after we drafted a few mega busts back in the 70s through the early 90s like Steve Heiden, Mike Junkin, Clifford Charlton, and the under performing Tim Couch & Courtney Brown not to get overly excited about any draft pick until they actually do something in the NFL. I save my respect for Browns players like Joe Thomas and Joe Haden, who have earned it.

Now if you want to buy into the Manziel Mania before he's done jack shit in the NFL, be my guest- but should he fail to live up to the media hype (almost impossible, short of being a top 10 all time qb) or even worse bust- you're going to have a closet full of Johnny junk you wouldn't dare wear out in public. I have a Couch jersey I'll sell ya cheap, all you have to do is change the nameplate.

i think as browns fans we HAVE to buy into it correct? i mean he's on our team which means we want him to succeed. it's that simple.

now does that mean that everyone likes the hype that has become JF? no. some people will never like that. i'll put it down to a generational thing. the older people on this board remember the restrictive way we were brought up. either it was a class (the noun) thing or being raised in a time where brash and loud behavior were frowned upon. we were brow beaten by the pervasive tone of the day. hell you didn't see a man and woman in the same bed on tv until the brady bunch in the 70's. it was the boy scouts (no not gay) and 'always do the right thing' and 'help the old lady across the street' era that is totally lost on this new generation. it's all about what you can do for me and you owe me something.

so to me (i'll speak for myself as i don't want to get group a whole bunch of people into my own mindset) this whole hip hop generation, the twitter and facebook scene where everyone is out there doing what they want and daring someone to tell them to STFU (been to a movie in a while?) personifies the spoiled brat dickhead legend of JF. now if he weren't on the browns i'd be a hater and wishing for the guy to get crushed on his very first play, i'm not gonna lie.

and to those who say just jump on board, i'll say hey just win and shut the fuck up. and turn your fucking music down too punks!

hee hee hee.

Well said Mik. But in regard to music, as we say on our audio board, if they say it's too loud, turn it up until you can't hear 'em bitch. I have 1,000+ watts in my Man Cave, and I'm not afraid to use 'em.

I've seen Big Ben take off with receivers open. I've seen Luck take off with receivers open. I've seen Bortles, Bridgewater, Garopollo, et al. take off with receivers open.

Nobody is doubting that he can't continue that style of play in the NFL. That's why he won't be playing like that in the NFL. Same way Shaw won't be taking 95% of his snaps from shotgun in the NFL. Of course Manziel will be asked to change his game. But having that scrambling ability is still a great asset.

I'm not saying the guy doesn't have skills that made him a first round pick- yeah his throwing accuracy on the run and off balance are exceptional. It's just like I've been telling WW, show me something in the NFL before I get all excited. And that doesn't mean preseason either. Brandon Weeden looked like the bomb last year when the games didn't count for the short attention spans.

I hope the team can handle the hype machine distractions.

I don't think anyone here will root against the Browns just to see Manziel fail, but there are a certain select few who have made their stance clear on the Manziel front and refuse to acknowledge his strengths. These are the few that I believe Mike is referencing, and these are probably the same guys who will be the first to say "we won IN SPITE of Manziel" whenever they get the opportunity.

Good write up... Edited only due to length.

Pretty sure you are not included me in the list of those taking that "stance"... I don't. My position has been a combination of JM's strengths translating to the pro game and his ceiling, which IMO is virtually non-existent. The "it" JM has is excitement powered by improvisation, and is good enough to win the AFCN and, I fear, nothing more.

If and when, JM is our starter I am sure that there will be games where we will have won "in spite of him". It's a natural outcome of the combination of rookie QB maturation process and a great D.

I said pre-draft I thought JF was an injury risk with his style of play- MH oh no, anyone can get injured. Well you know who else said on ESPN today JF will get hurt with that style of play? Bill Parcells

It's a long list, h. Did not know Parcels was now on it. I've heard it from Casserly and Polian and several other player evaluation hacks in the past couple months.

The mystery is how I (we) posted their concerns as our own long before they made theirs public.

Thats just it Hoorta, the supposed injury concern is really his only glaring weakness, when compared to the other available QBs. Who was the last QB who failed because of injury....Joe Theisman? He even acknowledged he won't be able to do some of the stuff he did in college. Every QB coming into the NFL has to learn to protect themselves.

The concern is based on his competitiveness, which by all accounts is off the charts, and the situations game circumstances will cause him to put himself.

As for last QB to fail due to injury... Chad Pennington springs to mind, but certainly best example is Greg Cook.... and I think even Greg was after Joey T.

There are many others who may not have "failed" due to injury, but whose careers were diminished by injuries. Among these I'd count Michael Vick. Even our beloved Bernie must be considered for this list. And RG3 may prove to be the next one on this list. Where a knee only cost Brady a season, it may cost RG what made him great. And that is the fear with Manziel.

I spoke last night to a former starting CB on a Superbowl champion and outside of the great pick of the CB first by the Browns (he's biased of course), I wanted to know what he thought about JFF's chances of making it big time with the Browns. He answered it with a story of a play he had against the QB he thinks most compares to JFF, Fran Tarkenton, because of the similar size and obvious scrambling abilities.

While it's a cool story made cooler by coming from your friend's experience, it is a bad comparison.

Playing behind some very bad OLs in his first MN and only NYG stints, Fran scrambled out of necessity almost exclusively to extend pass plays. In an 18-year career he "ran" the ball slightly less than twice the number times Manziel ran the ball in his two-year college career.

Thing I don't understand about fans like you is one you won't give hoyer the chance he's earned, two it's always about the shinny new toy, and three you think drafting a qb fixes this. That formula has worked so well for the browns. They were on the right path this offseason and blew the draft, always looking at next year, as usual. And knowing that josh Gordon was out and not drafting Sammy Watkins is bone headed. So now we're stuck in the same place we have been for 15 year wait to see if a rookie qb will work out. And you can't think logically and say the Johnny football is going to come in and take them to the playoffs, change his college habits and become a new qb, and or play a full season. That pick was not smart for the team a luxury pick they can't afford. And do you really think he is going to seat and learn for one or two years. The fact of the matter it fans like you are going to bitch and moan till he is in and not ready he will come it and fall on his face. That is why qb come to Cleveland to die.

Im 100% for Hoyer getting his shot. You shouldnt jump to conclusions. Ive never said piss on brian here comes johnny, please don't lump me in with the fanboy cult. I said he could be a potential superstar and give it time. Hell yes I hope he can sit and learn for at least a season. The draft is over, the FO made the picks they think can help the browns the most. If somebody doesn't pan out that's their burden to bear. I'm not gonna bitch and moan about anything, especially not gonna piss and moan about not getting Watkins like some people. They made their choices so deal with it.

Manziel starts Wk.5. I said this the night he was drafted.

Hoyer kind of gets the short end of the stick with the first 3 games of the season, we have a bye in Wk.4, then we're on the road with a weak opponent in Wk.5. It makes sense.

This is going to work against Sam. His focus needs to be 100% on football and he won't be able to accomplish that by adding a circus around himself.

I respect the guy for doing what he did, but I definitely agree. I told my wife this afternoon that I think it would make a larger statement if Sam stated he's a football player now and his focus is solely on making the Rams roster. To me it would be much greater to see the guy on the field than doing shows and not even making a roster. But, the truth is it's probably impossible for the guy to avoid it in a lot of ways.

Well the season hasn't started yet so I can't really "show you anything" I can show you this:

It's one of the girls Johnny hooked up with. No hate here, just love, I hope it brings you a lot of joy.

9da6c3001a4ae5917b2436b90262088713461059

This is not that impressive.oooooo a hot chick hookin up with an athlete. Weeden pulled down great tail.

Nothing to do with whether you like him as a football player

NEW YORK, NY -- Johnny Football has a lot of fans, but you’d be hard pressed to find one bigger than 6-year-old Charlie Dina.

With a constant smile on his face, Charlie is usually sporting his maroon superman shirt with the big #2 on his back. But Charlie’s love for Johnny goes beyond what the quarterback can do on the field. And it all started about two years ago.

Back in 2012, Charlie was diagnosed with Stage 4 Neuroblastoma. Shortly after treatments began, Johnny learned of Charlie’s fight with cancer and started to wear a yellow wristband with the words “Charlie’s Angels” on it. The show of support was the beginning of a relationship that Charlie’s parents would never have dreamt of.

For the past year and half, the two have been inseparable. Charlie goes to games and the friendship has helped the Dina family turn Charlie’s Angels into an official charity. This week, Charlie and his parents are in New York City as guests of Johnny to attend the NFL Draft.

KHOU 11 Sports reporter Daniel Gotera caught up with them

Below is facebook link to a charity that started over this young man haveing cancer with pics of johnny and the boy. thought maybe some you would enjoy this. https://www.facebook.com/CharliesAngels413

I always thought the "don't ask don't tell" policy was fair and effective. Why dude wants to spend time biting the pillow when all that fine tail is out there is beyond me.

I don't understand the need to air your private life

Nothing to do with whether you like him as a football player

NEW YORK, NY -- Johnny Football has a lot of fans, but you’d be hard pressed to find one bigger than 6-year-old Charlie Dina.

With a constant smile on his face, Charlie is usually sporting his maroon superman shirt with the big #2 on his back. But Charlie’s love for Johnny goes beyond what the quarterback can do on the field. And it all started about two years ago.

Back in 2012, Charlie was diagnosed with Stage 4 Neuroblastoma. Shortly after treatments began, Johnny learned of Charlie’s fight with cancer and started to wear a yellow wristband with the words “Charlie’s Angels” on it. The show of support was the beginning of a relationship that Charlie’s parents would never have dreamt of.

For the past year and half, the two have been inseparable. Charlie goes to games and the friendship has helped the Dina family turn Charlie’s Angels into an official charity. This week, Charlie and his parents are in New York City as guests of Johnny to attend the NFL Draft.

KHOU 11 Sports reporter Daniel Gotera caught up with them

Below is facebook link to a charity that started over this young man haveing cancer with pics of johnny and the boy. thought maybe some you would enjoy this. https://www.facebook.com/CharliesAngels413

Just became a JFF fan.

Archived