THE BROWNS BOARD

Coronavirus as political weapon

'The swine flu was a serious enough outbreak for President Barack Obama to declare a public health emergency in late April 2009. The WHO declared it a pandemic in early July – at which time 18,000 Americans had contracted the novel flu virus and 44 had died. And unlike coronavirus, the swine flu was more deadly to younger people. Obama declared a national emergency when the virus reemerged with a vengeance in the fall.

Yet the press barely covered any of these events.

When the WHO declared the swine flu “unstoppable” on June 11, 2009, CNN didn’t even lead with that story on its homepage. It was in a pile of links on the side of the page. (See the screenshot of that day’s home page below, taken from the Internet Archive.)

A week later, there was no mention of the swine flu anywhere on CNN’s home page.

The WHO’s announcement rated only a photo on the New York Times’s front page, with a story that was buried on page A11.

When Obama declared a national emergency, CNN didn’t get around to mentioning the death toll of the disease until the 10th paragraph. By that point, millions had been infected and 1,000 people in the U.S. had died.

The day after Obama’s declaration, CNN carried only a single link to the swine flu story in its “Newspulse” section. It ranked below the headline: “Wayward flight’s co-pilot denies arguing.”

The Times’ story about Obama’s declaration didn’t mention the death toll in the U.S. until the fourth paragraph. Two days later, the swine flu was off the Times’ front page again.

https://issuesinsights.com/2020/03/13/a-tale-of-two-pandemics-media-downplayed-the-massive-swine-flu-outbreak-under-obama/

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

'The swine flu was a serious enough outbreak for President Barack Obama to declare a public health emergency in late April 2009. The WHO declared it a pandemic in early July – at which time 18,000 Americans had contracted the novel flu virus and 44 had died. And unlike coronavirus, the swine flu was more deadly to younger people. Obama declared a national emergency when the virus reemerged with a vengeance in the fall.

When the WHO declared the swine flu “unstoppable” on June 11, 2009, CNN didn’t even lead with that story on its homepage. It was in a pile of links on the side of the page. (See the screenshot of that day’s home page below, taken from the Internet Archive.)

A week later, there was no mention of the swine flu anywhere on CNN’s home page.

The WHO’s announcement rated only a photo on the New York Times’s front page, with a story that was buried on page A11.

When Obama declared a national emergency, CNN didn’t get around to mentioning the death toll of the disease until the 10th paragraph. By that point, millions had been infected and 1,000 people in the U.S. had died.

The day after Obama’s declaration, CNN carried only a single link to the swine flu story in its “Newspulse” section. It ranked below the headline: “Wayward flight’s co-pilot denies arguing.”

The Times’ story about Obama’s declaration didn’t mention the death toll in the U.S. until the fourth paragraph. Two days later, the swine flu was off the Times’ front page again.

https://issuesinsights.com/2020/03/13/a-tale-of-two-pandemics-media-downplayed-the-massive-swine-flu-outbreak-under-obama/

Well remember, he was the 'rock star' and could do no wrong, or so they believed.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, OldBrownsFan said:

No I agree the ebola comparison was not as good of a comparison as the swine flu.

I use links many times as why should I paraphrase something in my own words when the link says it better than I can?

I believe you are not responding to the the link I posted  however because you have no good answer. Not even with a link of your own,

Believe of me what you like, OBF.

4 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

when experts who agree with your opponent are riling you up...

guess why that is.

Hint: they are experts, and they don't agree with you, maybe?

WTF is this in response to?

2 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

WTF is this in response to?

your complaint about links. Some of us link to experts - the elaborate explanations are the point.

You said you won't respond to links, but that makes us, non-experts, have the job of explaining further than we are

able to elaborate on.

So, we link. you don't like that. What is wrong with those links, outside of the fact that you

aren't an expert either? eh?

In Italy, healthcare is considered a right and the national health plan is designed to provide for all Italian citizens and residents, including U.S. and Canadian citizens who are legal residents of Italy. With the Servizio Sanitario Nazionale most care is free or low-cost, including consults with a general physician,...

centralized national health care. Never gonna work well fake utopia.

same in russia - universal gov health care.

not good.

HEALTH CARE IN RUSSIA | Facts and Details

factsanddetails.com/russia/Education_Health...

Health expenditures per capita in the 1990s: Russia spent $250 per capita on health care compared to $4,000 per capita in the United States. The Russian government at that time spent less than 2.6 of its budget in health care, compared to 7 to 9 percent in Europe as a whole. Many Russians avoid health care.

Two Russian women quarantined over coronavirus escape ...

https://nypost.com/2020/02/13/two-russian-women-quarantined-over-coronavirus-fears...

Two women held at Russian hospitals over coronavirus fears were so appalled by the poor conditions there that they escaped — one by jumping out a window. Both women were hospitalized after re…

4 hours ago, OldBrownsFan said:

Well... copy/paste is better than nothing... so here's some back at ya...

======================================================================================================

From Pew Research https://www.journalism.org/2009/05/28/swine-flu-coverage-around-the-world/

May 28, 2009

Swine Flu Coverage around the World

In late April, news of the rapidly spreading “swine flu” swept across the American media as few sudden stories do. As the outbreak jumped from a mysterious respiratory disease in Mexico to the threat of the first global flu pandemic in four decades, the press leapt in. During the week of April 27 – May 3, the flu story, the most covered news event of the week, accounted for almost a third of mainstream media coverage, according to the News Coverage Index of the Pew Research Center’s Project for Excellence in Journalism.  That marked only the second time that a health-related story had become the No. 1 story in the American media since the Project began its weekly News Index in January 2007. From tracking the spread of the virus, to analyzing government response, to asking if the story had become sensationalized by the media, the U.S. press examined seemingly every angle of the story.

The study found:

• The three major U.S. papers studied offered some of the broadest coverage of the outbreak of any country studied, and all stories were staff-generated, as opposed to wire copy. Despite complaints in some quarters of excessive media hype, the level of coverage was relatively moderate when matched up against the number of confirmed U.S. cases.

=========================================================================================================================================

Here is some timeline stuff from https://www.factcheck.org/2020/03/trumps-h1n1-swine-flu-pandemic-spin/

On April 15, 2009, the first infection was identified in California, according to the CDC, and less than two weeks later, on April 26, 2009, the Obama administration declared a public health emergency. The day before, on April 25, the World Health Organization had declared a public health emergency.

Dr. Richard Besser, then-acting director of the CDC, confirmed to the press on the day of the U.S. declaration that there were 20 cases of H1N1 in the U.S., and that “all of the individuals in this country who have been identified as cases have recovered.”

The same day — April 26 — the CDC began releasing antiviral drugs to treat the H1N1 flu, and two days later, the FDA approved a new CDC test for the disease, according to a CDC timeline on the pandemic.

On April 30, 2009, two days after the public health emergency declaration, Obama formally asked Congress for $1.5 billion to fight the outbreak, and later asked for nearly $9 billion, according a September 2009 Congressional Research Service report. On June 26, 2009, Obama signed Congress’ supplemental appropriation bill that included $7.7 billion for the outbreak.

So in about two weeks Obama asked for $9b to fight H1N1... and was cut to $7.7.

The first US case of Corona was confirmed on Jan. 21st... Trump asked for $1.25b on Feb 24th. Schumer and the damn Dems made him take $8b.

Now, one reason the Obama response was faster was that the novel H1N1 virus was similar enough to another virus that existing anti-virals and even a vaccine had some level of effectiveness. Additionally there was the advantage that many adults had been exposed to that earlier virus and thus had some H1N1 immunity. What made H1N1 very scary was that children had no resistance.

One last point.... Trump has commented and some Fox talking heads have made a big deal that Obama never issued a travel ban as part of the H1N1 response.

Since H1N1 originated in the USA such a ban was nonsensical.

50 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

your complaint about links. Some of us link to experts - the elaborate explanations are the point.

You said you won't respond to links, but that makes us, non-experts, have the job of explaining further than we are

able to elaborate on.

So, we link. you don't like that. What is wrong with those links, outside of the fact that you

aren't an expert either? eh?

Unequal effort...

I put time and thought into my posts. I'm not going to waste time on those who do not.

Thanks for explaining, however....

Just now, Tour2ma said:

Unequal effort...

I put time and thought into my posts. I'm not going to waste time on those who do not.

3 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Well... copy/paste is better than nothing... so here's some back at ya...

======================================================================================================

From Pew Research https://www.journalism.org/2009/05/28/swine-flu-coverage-around-the-world/

May 28, 2009

Swine Flu Coverage around the World

In late April, news of the rapidly spreading “swine flu” swept across the American media as few sudden stories do. As the outbreak jumped from a mysterious respiratory disease in Mexico to the threat of the first global flu pandemic in four decades, the press leapt in. During the week of April 27 – May 3, the flu story, the most covered news event of the week, accounted for almost a third of mainstream media coverage, according to the News Coverage Index of the Pew Research Center’s Project for Excellence in Journalism.  That marked only the second time that a health-related story had become the No. 1 story in the American media since the Project began its weekly News Index in January 2007. From tracking the spread of the virus, to analyzing government response, to asking if the story had become sensationalized by the media, the U.S. press examined seemingly every angle of the story.

The study found:

• The three major U.S. papers studied offered some of the broadest coverage of the outbreak of any country studied, and all stories were staff-generated, as opposed to wire copy. Despite complaints in some quarters of excessive media hype, the level of coverage was relatively moderate when matched up against the number of confirmed U.S. cases.

=========================================================================================================================================

Here is some timeline stuff from https://www.factcheck.org/2020/03/trumps-h1n1-swine-flu-pandemic-spin/

So in about two weeks Obama asked for $9b to fight H1N1... and was cut to $7.7.

The first US case of Corona was confirmed on Jan. 21st... Trump asked for $1.25b on Feb 24th. Schumer and the damn Dems made him take $8b.

Now, one reason the Obama response was faster was that the novel H1N1 virus was similar enough to another virus that existing anti-virals and even a vaccine had some level of effectiveness. Additionally there was the advantage that many adults had been exposed to that earlier virus and thus had some H1N1 immunity. What made H1N1 very scary was that children had no resistance.

One last point.... Trump has commented and some Fox talking heads have made a big deal that Obama never issued a travel ban as part of the H1N1 response.

Since H1N1 originated in the USA such a ban was nonsensical.

Not seeing anything in our dueling copy and paste posts that discredits what I posted,

Krelim Kal dumping on the Ruskie health care system?

Total canard, Kal... Putin doesn't give a shit about his people. Even Xi cares more about his.... cause he's scared of them.

1 minute ago, OldBrownsFan said:

Not seeing anything in our dueling copy and paste posts that discredits what I posted,

The WHO's declaration of a worldwide pandemic was anticlimactic for the states. The virus spread and on-going government response were already being followed closely. That is waht my post showed.

I don't feel I have to do more to refute something CNN allegedly ignored and NYT did not mention prominently enough to satisfy your source.

1 minute ago, Tour2ma said:

The WHO's declaration of a worldwide pandemic was anticlimactic for the states. The virus spread and on-going government response were already being followed closely. That is waht my post showed.

I don't feel I have to do more to refute something CNN allegedly ignored and NYT did not mention prominently enough to satisfy your source.

Not CNN allegedly ignored...they did and or minimize. Same with the NYT.

Chinese Propaganda Blaming U.S. For Coronavirus Floods Social Media

https://thenationalpulse.com/editor/chinese-bots-flood-twitter-virus-theories/

Glad to see Trump fighting back and calling the coronavirus the Chinese virus. Of course some of the lefties are calling him a racist but they are the same ones who don't appear to have any complaints with China pushing the blame of this virus on the U.S..

https://dailycaller.com/2020/03/16/trump-calls-coronavirus-chinese-virus-first-time/

1 hour ago, OldBrownsFan said:

Chinese Propaganda Blaming U.S. For Coronavirus Floods Social Media

https://thenationalpulse.com/editor/chinese-bots-flood-twitter-virus-theories/

Glad to see Trump fighting back and calling the coronavirus the Chinese virus. Of course some of the lefties are calling him a racist but they are the same ones who don't appear to have any complaints with China pushing the blame of this virus on the U.S..

https://dailycaller.com/2020/03/16/trump-calls-coronavirus-chinese-virus-first-time/

Oh well I've heard enough lunatic conspiracy theories that claim it a Chinese attempt at germ warfare. If it actually was considering the number of Chinese who have died I would liken it to Achmed the Terrorist who blows himself up.

WSS

2 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Oh well I've heard enough lunatic conspiracy theories that claim it a Chinese attempt at germ warfare. If it actually was considering the number of Chinese who have died I would liken it to Achmed the Terrorist who blows himself up.

WSS

I believe it is possible this virus escaped from a viral lab in China. There is a lot of circumstantial evidence pointing that way. I don't believe if it did escape from a viral lab in China it was done on purpose but by poor security measures. China is definitely at fault though for keeping this secret from the world until it was out of control and they could no longer keep a lid on it.

• Thanks 1

New York Gov. Cuomo Praises Trump’s Handling Of Coronavirus Crisis

Democratic New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo offered praise Tuesday to President Donald Trump, saying the White House has been “on it” when it comes to the administration’s response to the coronavirus crisis.

“His team has been on it,” Cuomo continued. “I know a team when they’re on it. I know a team when they’re not on it. His team is on it.”

https://dailycaller.com/2020/03/17/ny-andrew-cuomo-donald-trump-coronavirus-response-on-it/

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, OldBrownsFan said:

I believe it is possible this virus escaped from a viral lab in China. There is a lot of circumstantial evidence pointing that way. I don't believe if it did escape from a viral lab in China it was done on purpose but by poor security measures. China is definitely at fault though for keeping this secret from the world until it was out of control and they could no longer keep a lid on it.

Possible it got out of the viral lab that was researching corona viruses that are native to pangolins. But as I opined, OTOH it's completely reasonable that someone chowed down on pangolin scales or meat and picked up a mutant strain of the virus.  

9 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

WSS

I feel terrible, my bad....., but that was freaking FUNNY LOL

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, hoorta said:

Possible it got out of the viral lab that was researching corona viruses that are native to pangolins. But as I opined, OTOH it's completely reasonable that someone chowed down on pangolin scales or meat and picked up a mutant strain of the virus.  

If this were a military grade virus, there would be massive deaths.  And it wouldn't discriminate between young and old.  This is obviously some new mutation of the virus that developed in a bat or pangolin.

• Thanks 1