THE BROWNS BOARD

Coronavirus as political weapon

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Larry I keep my hikes more reasonable now that I'm past 70. But that led me to taking one up the source of the Colorado to Lulu City on the backside of the Divide in RMNP. I was the only one on it really early one morning and saw all the wildlife before the "rabble' made too much noise for them to stick around. There are more moose over there though I am now seeing them on the Estes Park side as well. I don't hike high now without supplemental O2 in 2-3 really lightweight aluminum canisters just in case. It's a reasonable precaution above 10,000 ft. for old farts who think they are still young.🤗🧓 Not gonna drop dead like a friend of mine from HS who died on a Colorado ski slope after having been a career Army Ranger much younger. Not enough O2 up that high for even those who were in the best of shape as young men.

Ag, my last big climb eight years ago with nephew Jim being the designated Sherpa when I was 62- we took the tourista route (no hardware required) to the top of Middle Teton 12,800'. Even from high camp, it took all day starting at sunup, with a couple off route adventures on the way up, and one on the way down which wound us up at the top of Middle Teton glacier- and we didn't bring the ice axes, so that involved up climbing 500' and traversing over to the right way down. And got back to the car at around 10 in the evening, venturing down the last 5 miles of the trail by flashlight. Teton rock has the consistency of sandpaper- great for the rock jocks, but trip a few times, and your hands turn into hamburger. I realized on the way down why those ladies were wearing climbing gloves... I digressed a little,   13,000' in your 60s  feels like 14,000'+ in your 20s.  

• Sad 1

We need to put the blame on this coronavirus pandemic squarely on the Chinese where it belongs. Our Trump hating media though would rather blame Trump. They say it is racist to call this the Wuhan or China coronavirus even though it originated from Wuhan China.

Report: China Knew About Coronavirus a Full Month Before They Admitted It

https://thefederalistpapers.org/us/report-china-knew-coronavirus-full-month-admitted

Just now, OldBrownsFan said:

We need to put the blame on this coronavirus pandemic squarely on the Chinese where it belongs. Our Trump hating media though would rather blame Trump. They say it is racist to call this the Wuhan or China coronavirus even though it originated from Wuhan China.

Report: China Knew About Coronavirus a Full Month Before They Admitted It

https://thefederalistpapers.org/us/report-china-knew-coronavirus-full-month-admitted

- China tried to hide it. They made it worse. Definitely.

- No point in calling it the Wuhan virus. It isn't in Wuhan, it is here. It doesn't care about the race, ethnicity, etc of those it infects. It isn't a "foreign" virus as the president has called it.

- Trump has not made this better. His flippant attitude towards the virus to start didn't do us any favors. His clear concern was the economy and the stock market and doing whatever he could to keep those looking strong. Did Trump create the virus? No, obviously not. It was going to get to the US no matter what most likely. But his response has been lacking and his unconcerned attitude at the start did not help. I get you don't want to induce a panic, but I don't think he went far enough and he wasn't clear at all on his message.

1 minute ago, MLD Woody said:

- China tried to hide it. They made it worse. Definitely.

- No point in calling it the Wuhan virus. It isn't in Wuhan, it is here. It doesn't care about the race, ethnicity, etc of those it infects. It isn't a "foreign" virus as the president has called it.

- Trump has not made this better. His flippant attitude towards the virus to start didn't do us any favors. His clear concern was the economy and the stock market and doing whatever he could to keep those looking strong. Did Trump create the virus? No, obviously not. It was going to get to the US no matter what most likely. But his response has been lacking and his unconcerned attitude at the start did not help. I get you don't want to induce a panic, but I don't think he went far enough and he wasn't clear at all on his message.

We have always called these viruses from where the originated from and the Wuhan coronavirus should be no different just because China doesn't like it.

It was Joe Biden and the democrats who called Trump a racist and xenophobic for the travel bans which have helped our country be in a better position now than Europe which has become the epicenter of the coronavirus because they had no such travel bans to China.

South Korea has been the lone bright spot of any nation thus far in fighting the coronavirus and they have done it by massive testing. Our CDC pandemic plan did not include massive testing and they have worked hard to get up to speed. That is on the CDC and not Trump.

I want to know why China tried so hard to hide this from the world until it got out of control and they could no longer keep it secret?

1 hour ago, OldBrownsFan said:

We have always called these viruses from where the originated from and the Wuhan coronavirus should be no different just because China doesn't like it.

It was Joe Biden and the democrats who called Trump a racist and xenophobic for the travel bans which have helped our country be in a better position now than Europe which has become the epicenter of the coronavirus because they had no such travel bans to China.

South Korea has been the lone bright spot of any nation thus far in fighting the coronavirus and they have done it by massive testing. Our CDC pandemic plan did not include massive testing and they have worked hard to get up to speed. That is on the CDC and not Trump.

I want to know why China tried so hard to hide this from the world until it got out of control and they could no longer keep it secret?

The Spanish Flu didn't originate in Spain. Ebola was just ebola. Etc.

Trump is looking to cut funding to the CDC and eliminated an office dedicated to pandemic prevention. It seems Trump is very connected here. Though I know people like to jump back and forth about whether everything is tied to the president or nothing is, depending on if their guy is in office and whether we're talking about something good or bad. Regardless, his past actions as president in regards to the CDC didn't help us in this situation. 

3 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

oh, I'm sorry, did I say something you didn't like? 

Maybe there is a nice meme on facebook you could post here as a rebuttal. That will show me.

You're just stupid son.. You don't know what you don't know.. But you think you do..  That's as plain as I can put it to you.. As time goes by, and if you survive your ignorance, you will  understand. Every time we do this I spank your dumb ass and you just keep coming back like the aforementioned ankle biting pup that needs a good c u n t punting..

Remember when you tried to go all grammar nazi on me? 🤣

Son, you just aren't worth my time..

27 minutes ago, Axe said:

You're just stupid son.. You don't know what you don't know.. But you think you do..  That's as plain as I can put it to you.. As time goes by, and if you survive your ignorance, you will  understand. Every time we do this I spank your dumb ass and you just keep coming back like the aforementioned ankle biting pup that needs a good c u n t punting..

Remember when you tried to go all grammar nazi on me? 🤣

Son, you just aren't worth my time..

So you have nothing? Yeah that's pretty much what I'd expect. It would probably be difficult to find all of the memes needed for this one, huh?

Yes yes, tell me that I think I know everything while proclaiming your superior intellect and how I'm not worth your time..... while contributing literally nothing. Yes, that will show me. 

If you have nothing to add, fine. If you're going to call me or others out because I'm "wrong" let's hear why. Contribute anything at all. 

What is your background or education as to why you're so right? What makes you any better than a troll?

I mean, I fully expect for you to not have anything. You never have anything. You just post memes that stretch the truth or flat out like because it is easier than you having to verbalize your own opinion. Hell we're seeing you do that now and it isn't going too swift. 

So, we'll give it one more attempt. What am I incorrect about? What do you have to add? Please, contribute.

(and I look forward to the usuals running in with their usual attempted insults and nonsense)

https://www.ntnu.edu/corona/students-abroad

Recommend that you travel home to Norway

In line with the advice from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, I, as NTNU’s Rector, strongly recommend that all NTNU students who are outside Norway return home.

This applies especially if you are staying in a country with poorly developed health services. This also applies for countries with poorly developed collective infrastructure, for example the USA, where it can be difficult to get transport to the airport if you don't have a car. The same applies if you don't have health insurance. 

5 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

So, we'll give it one more attempt. What am I incorrect about? What do you have to add? Please, contribute.

most everything. You spew statements out of your tail feathers like you have the flu. Learn to research before you spew, get a clue, stop with the bird flu. you...woodpecker.

The Trump administration has indeed proposed cuts to the CDC, but they have not been passed by Congress. Trump has not “defunded” the agency, and Secretary of Health and Human Services Alex Azar has said that the new proposed budget would, in fact, prioritize the fight against coronavirus.

so, woodpecker - blame and vent against your democrats. their political fighting Pres Trump is shooting America in the foot.

and yes, you like to use the adjective "stupid", but look in a freakin mirror.

crested_bird_see_reflexion_in_car_mirror

3 hours ago, OldBrownsFan said:

No one is blaming Trump for the virus.

We are blaming him for the inept response.

And before you mention it.... Yes, Trump's initial travel ban was a good move as far as it went, but it was only for a few provinces in China (and S. Korea IIRC) and by the time it was put into place the virus had already spread to much of the rest of China and SE Asia.

The extended problem is that the follow up was a horrendous blend of procrastination, wishful thinking, denial, unpreparedness and ineptitude.

Nothing.... absolutely nothing is being thought through. For example... Prez announces new travel bans and panic Americans to return to USA over nite only to be received by understaffed Airport Customs creating hours of a close-proximity, logjam of humanity who are all returning from hot zones. And the "enhanced screening" Trump bragged about that created the backlog? Well... not surprisingly it was a joke.

I won't even get into the abject ineptitude of delivering a 10-minute Oval Office address to the nation that contained three errors that had to be corrected overnite... but if someone wants to attempt to defend that dumpster fire... I'll make myself available.

The above and much, much more can all be, and rightfully should be, criticized...

... and the critiques can be levied without cheering on the virus.

And OBF.... saw where mid-thread you raised "Ebola" and the MSM. Something about "it" fanning panic now and calm then... I'll deal with this in a moment.

First... ask yourself why your media sources are urging calm now, but were sewing panic back then?

OK back to Ebola... the reason it did not warrant the "concern", a/k/a panic, if you prefer, is while Ebola, if contracted, was far more lethal, human to human transmittal could only occur when the carrier was symptomatic. In all, nine carriers entered the USA in 2014. Two were returning citizen, health-care workers who had volunteered to fight the outbreak in Africa so it would not come here. Most of the other seven were patient transfers from other countries. One of the 7 was unidentified until he fell ill in Dallas and later died. Two nurses who came in contact with the Dallas patient contracted Ebola, but both responded to treatment. These were the only two cases contracted stateside.

Not a lot to panic over was there?

The Corona Virus on the other hand can be transmitted from a carrier who is either symptomatic or asymptomatic. So simply checking temperatures is not adequate screening... not that our enhanced screening included checking temps... it didn't.

Stock Market Futures are still off about 4.5%.... but the bond futures are up. Everyone is selling stocks to rush back into the bond market to lock in some of that old, 2% U.S. paper. Even if they bid it up so that the yield is halved, it'll still look good next to the 0.0% paper that's coming.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, hoorta said:

Ag, my last big climb eight years ago with nephew Jim being the designated Sherpa when I was 62- we took the tourista route (no hardware required) to the top of Middle Teton 12,800'. Even from high camp, it took all day starting at sunup, with a couple off route adventures on the way up, and one on the way down which wound us up at the top of Middle Teton glacier- and we didn't bring the ice axes, so that involved up climbing 500' and traversing over to the right way down. And got back to the car at around 10 in the evening, venturing down the last 5 miles of the trail by flashlight. Teton rock has the consistency of sandpaper- great for the rock jocks, but trip a few times, and your hands turn into hamburger. I realized on the way down why those ladies were wearing climbing gloves... I digressed a little,   13,000' in your 60s  feels like 14,000'+ in your 20s. 

I always spend the first week in Estes Park walking the long lower trails until I have gotten my walk/breathe rhythm down and adjusted to 8000-9,000 ft. before going on the ones that go above 10,000. My family now worries so much about me I just let them know my planned hike each day and how long before they can expect me back. Funny thing is they still can't keep the pace I set that first week. No one will go with me unless I agree to let them set the pace in front of me.😂 I tell them if I don't return it is likely that bear or cougar got past my pistol shots after being hungry all winter.😱

6 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

most everything. You spew statements out of your tail feathers like you have the flu. Learn to research before you spew, get a clue, stop with the bird flu. you...woodpecker.

The Trump administration has indeed proposed cuts to the CDC, but they have not been passed by Congress. Trump has not “defunded” the agency, and Secretary of Health and Human Services Alex Azar has said that the new proposed budget would, in fact, prioritize the fight against coronavirus.

so, woodpecker - blame and vent against your democrats. their political fighting Pres Trump is shooting America in the foot.

and yes, you like to use the adjective "stupid", but look in a freakin mirror.

I said he was "looking to cut" funding. I never said he did. Read the post, for once.

How about the second part? Did Trump ax a white house office dedicated to pandemic response? Would that have helped her at all?

Did he address the nation in a speech with multiple errors that needed to be corrected?

At no point am I saying Trump caused this but he clearly hasn't helped

8 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

The Spanish Flu didn't originate in Spain. Ebola was just ebola. Etc.

Trump is looking to cut funding to the CDC and eliminated an office dedicated to pandemic prevention. It seems Trump is very connected here. Though I know people like to jump back and forth about whether everything is tied to the president or nothing is, depending on if their guy is in office and whether we're talking about something good or bad. Regardless, his past actions as president in regards to the CDC didn't help us in this situation. 

Hong Kong flu of 1968

PANDEMIC
Alternative Title: Hong Kong flu pandemic of 1968

Hong Kong flu of 1968, also called Hong Kong flu pandemic of 1968, global outbreak of influenza that originated in China in July 1968 and lasted until 1969–70. The outbreak was the third influenza pandemic to occur in the 20th century; it followed the Asian flu pandemic of 1957 and the influenza pandemic of 1918–19 (also called Spanish flu). The Hong Kong flu resulted in an estimated one million to four million deaths, far fewer than the 1918–19 pandemic, which caused between 25 million and 50 million deaths.

The 1968 pandemic was initiated by the emergence of a virus known as influenza A subtype H3N2 (also called Hong Kong flu virus). It is suspected that this virus evolved from the strain of influenza that caused the 1957 pandemic. The 1957 Asian flu virus, or influenza A subtype H2N2, is believed to have given rise to H3N2 through a process called antigenic shift, in which the hemagglutinin (H) antigen (a substance that stimulates an immune response) on the outer surface of the virus underwent genetic mutation to produce the new H3 antigen. Because the new virus retained the neuraminidase (N) antigen N2, persons who had been exposed to the 1957 virus apparently retained immune protection against the 1968 virus. This would explain the mildness of the 1968 outbreak relative to the pandemic of 1918–19.

Although the Hong Kong flu outbreak was associated with comparatively few deaths worldwide, the virus was highly contagious, a factor that facilitated its rapid global dissemination. Indeed, within two weeks of its emergence in July in Hong Kong, some 500,000 cases of illness had been reported, and the virus proceeded to spread swiftly throughout Southeast Asia. Within several months it had reached the Panama Canal Zone and the United States, where it had been taken overseas by soldiers returning to California from Vietnam. By the end of December the virus had spread throughout the United States and had reached the United Kingdom and countries in western Europe. Australia, Japan, and multiple countries in Africa, eastern Europe, and Central and South America were also affected. The pandemic occurred in two waves, and in most places the second wave caused a greater number of deaths than the first wave.

The 1968 Hong Kong flu caused illness of varying degrees of severity in different populations. For example, whereas illness was diffuse and affected only small numbers of people in Japan, it was widespread and deadly in the United States. Infection caused upper respiratory symptoms typical of influenza and produced symptoms of chills, fever, and muscle pain and weakness. These symptoms usually persisted for between four and six days. The highest levels of mortality were associated with the most susceptible groups, namely infants and the elderly. Although a vaccine was developed against the virus, it became available only after the pandemic had peaked in many countries.

The H3N2 virus that caused the 1968 pandemic is still in circulation today and is considered to be a strain of seasonal influenza. In the 1990s a closely related H3N2 virus was isolated from pigs. Scientists suspect that the human H3N2 virus jumped to pigs; infected animals may show symptoms of swine flu.

2 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

I didn't even know there was a hong Kong flu. That is is a good example tho, DH. It looks like there are cases for both. Good Post

Though I still think calling it a "foreign" virus is ridiculous

It is ridiculous to call it a foreign virus. They should call it the Wuhan virus where it originated and even moreso since China has been attempting to blame the Unites States for the coronavirus spread.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

I didn't even know there was a hong Kong flu. That is is a good example tho, DH. It looks like there are cases for both. Good Post

Though I still think calling it a "foreign" virus is ridiculous

And I think the conspiracy theories are ridiculous as well. Maybe I am too quick to blame social media but it sure seems like the Panic is at the top of everybody's list.

WSS

6 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

We are blaming him for the inept response.

If Trump was ignoring the advice of our CDC you could blame him for that...but he has been following CDC advice.

And before you mention it.... Yes, Trump's initial travel ban was a good move as far as it went, but it was only for a few provinces in China (and S. Korea IIRC) and by the time it was put into place the virus had already spread to much of the rest of China and SE Asia.

So Trump placing a travel ban was better than Europe not placing a travel ban to China?

The extended problem is that the follow up was a horrendous blend of procrastination, wishful thinking, denial, unpreparedness and ineptitude.

Nothing.... absolutely nothing is being thought through. For example... Prez announces new travel bans and panic Americans to return to USA over nite only to be received by understaffed Airport Customs creating hours of a close-proximity, logjam of humanity who are all returning from hot zones. And the "enhanced screening" Trump bragged about that created the backlog? Well... not surprisingly it was a joke.

You are making the argument conservatives make all the time about having too much faith in government to solve all our problems. Do you remember the disastrous Obama health care roll out where the websites weren't working and all the mistakes? The CDC said they were not prepared for massive testing like South Korea but whose fault was that? I heard the CDC admit to dropping the ball on screening and they were fixing the problem. Was it Trump's fault he didn't leave the oval office and start screening people himself?

I won't even get into the abject ineptitude of delivering a 10-minute Oval Office address to the nation that contained three errors that had to be corrected overnite... but if someone wants to attempt to defend that dumpster fire... I'll make myself available.

In a prepared speech like that there should not be the mistakes but Trump can be defended for painting too rosy of a picture about the coronavirus especially early on. You could chalk that up in an attempt to reduce panic like we are seeing now in the grocery stores. I agree though he minimized the situation too much giving ammunition for all the TDS'er to criticize him.

The above and much, much more can all be, and rightfully should be, criticized...

And OBF.... saw where mid-thread you raised "Ebola" and the MSM. Something about "it" fanning panic now and calm then... I'll deal with this in a moment.

First... ask yourself why your media sources are urging calm now, but were sewing panic back then?

There are many examples of the double standard in media reporting. Even apart from Ebola compare the coverage to the swine flu.

A Tale Of Two Pandemics: Media Downplayed Swine Flu Outbreak Under Obama

https://issuesinsights.com/2020/03/13/a-tale-of-two-pandemics-media-downplayed-the-massive-swine-flu-outbreak-under-obama/

OK back to Ebola... the reason it did not warrant the "concern", a/k/a panic, if you prefer, is while Ebola, if contracted, was far more lethal, human to human transmittal could only occur when the carrier was symptomatic. In all, nine carriers entered the USA in 2014. Two were returning citizen, health-care workers who had volunteered to fight the outbreak in Africa so it would not come here. Most of the other seven were patient transfers from other countries. One of the 7 was unidentified until he fell ill in Dallas and later died. Two nurses who came in contact with the Dallas patient contracted Ebola, but both responded to treatment. These were the only two cases contracted stateside.

The Corona Virus on the other hand can be transmitted from a carrier who is either symptomatic or asymptomatic. So simply checking temperatures is not adequate screening... not that our enhanced screening included checking temps... it didn't.

Stock Market Futures are still off about 4.5%.... but the bond futures are up. Everyone is selling stocks to rush back into the bond market to lock in some of that old, 2% U.S. paper. Even if they bid it up so that the yield is halved, it'll still look good next to the 0.0% paper that's coming.

I'll ask again. Does anyone here actually know someone who has contracted Covid-19?

I do.

I wont use her name but she lives in Washington, works for a large software company out there and has 4 children.

3weeks in..

She is fine, kids are fine too..

Does anyone here actually know someone with the virus?  Not read about them, but actually know them?

https://snip.ly/0dy0fq?fbclid=IwAR3H_G45IRLtV_0it28YkpcIv3RAcrETlbSCvQHLXhg01DYWuFp8ieTVAk4#https://techstartups.com/2020/03/12/mit-biologist-says-fear-mongering-coronavirus-will-go-biggest-fraud-manipulate-economies/?fbclid=IwAR0b2BzvWboYOM9BHeJ-90d88kUfQPjXb_Y3HaoLSnUayxfD7JOKziUKrlc

A comedian makes a comment and a conspiracy is born?

But if the market fall brings down Trump as well, then at least some good will have come from it.

1 hour ago, OldBrownsFan said:

We are blaming him for the inept response.NO, he's has con

If Trump was ignoring the advice of our CDC you could blame him for that...but he has been following CDC advice.

No. For weeks Trump consistently contradicted his own Task Force with his babbling. His followers, the hardcore forever Trumpers, still believe what he said over the experts.

So Trump placing a travel ban was better than Europe not placing a travel ban to China?

Huh?

You are making the argument conservatives make all the time about having too much faith in government to solve all our problems. Do you remember the disastrous Obama health care roll out where the websites weren't working and all the mistakes? The CDC said they were not prepared for massive testing like South Korea but whose fault was that? I heard the CDC admit to dropping the ball on screening and they were fixing the problem. Was it Trump's fault he didn't leave the oval office and start screening people himself?

What I am arguing is that the Government should not create problems. As for the Obamacare roll out... I don't recall anyone dying due to a faulty rollout.

The CDC sent out faulty test kits (bad reagents) a month or so ago and that set back the test effort. But why didn't HHS buy the WHO's test kits that were offered to us?

What is Trump's fault is appointing inept, ill-trained people to positions of responsibility. He ain't no Harry Truman... that's for damn sure.

In a prepared speech like that there should not be the mistakes but Trump can be defended for painting too rosy of a picture about the coronavirus especially early on. You could chalk that up in an attempt to reduce panic like we are seeing now in the grocery stores. I agree though he minimized the situation too much giving ammunition for all the TDS'er to criticize him.

So all who criticize Trump are TDS? I'm TDS?

There are many examples of the double standard in media reporting. Even apart from Ebola compare the coverage to the swine flu.

So you do not wish to talk about Ebola any longer?

If you want to talk about Swine Flu now, then make your case. Don't go cal on me and just post the first link a google search pops up and expect me to put in time refuting an article.

A Tale Of Two Pandemics: Media Downplayed Swine Flu Outbreak Under Obama

https://issuesinsights.com/2020/03/13/a-tale-of-two-pandemics-media-downplayed-the-massive-swine-flu-outbreak-under-obama/

Lets take this one at a time Tour. The travel ban Trump placed was effective per the "experts" and Europe did not have a travel ban and is now the epicenter of the coronavirus. That is what I meant when I said what Trump did with a travel ban was better than European leaders not placing a travel ban.

33 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

Lets take this one at a time Tour. The travel ban Trump placed was effective per the "experts" and Europe did not have a travel ban and is now the epicenter of the coronavirus. That is what I meant when I said what Trump did with a travel ban was better than European leaders not placing a travel ban.

OK...

I gave credit for the initial travel ban.

What's next?

5 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

OK...

I gave credit for the initial travel ban.

What's next?

Media bias. The ebola comparison is not a good apples to apples comparison but the swine flu is.

38 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

Media bias. The ebola comparison is not a good apples to apples comparison but the swine flu is.

So why did you raise the Ebola comparison in the first place?

And again... I'm not putting time into discussing anything with a link. Either put time into your own thoughts or drop it.

8 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

And again... I'm not putting time into discussing anything with a link. Either put time into your own thoughts or drop it.

No I agree the ebola comparison was not as good of a comparison as the swine flu.

I use links many times as why should I paraphrase something in my own words when the link says it better than I can?

I believe you are not responding to the the link I posted  however because you have no good answer. Not even with a link of your own,

7 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

when experts who agree with your opponent are riling you up...

guess why that is.

Hint: they are experts, and they don't agree with you, maybe?