THE BROWNS BOARD

Coronavirus as political weapon

6 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

I get your point - however - read the article - they don't need passports - nothing. they closed the border checkpoints.

no control, anything goes. That scared and infuriated Britain - and for other reasons as well, they got the heck OUT.

It pretty much works like the US, my friend. In the borders with countries out of the EU you are asked for your passport, but for example not when travelling by car from Spain to France. You can use your ID when travelling by plane between member countries, but it is recommended (and I think almost everyone does like this) travelling with your passport. 

UK wants out of the EU simply because they feel special. Very special. They already had a special treatment with the EU and wanted more of a special treatment. Spain and Italy have suffered way more problems with immigration through the years and had to cope them on their own, but when that problem started getting to them (Eurotunnel, for example) it was "too much" for them, when they have been ignoring boats in the Mediterranean for decades. 

Don't bite it. They didn't want out for the immigration, they used it as a scapegoat. They wanted out because EU means teaming up not only with Belgium, The Netherlands, Germany, France, Italy and Spain, but with many other minor countries aswell. 

They wanted all the benefits from being on the EU with none of the cons. For instance, EVERY important country had to endure a small recession on their own when changing to the Euro, so they decided to stay with the Pounds. 

• Like 1

https://slate.com/technology/2020/03/coronavirus-mortality-rate-lower-than-we-think.html

This isn't from Fox News or ammoland for The Rush Limbaugh Show. This is from one of the hardest left Publications in America.

And nobody even considered this kind of panic in 2009 for the swine flu.

WSS

https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEHorMp0XkJplzuXkFD97B0sqGAgEKg8IACoHCAow-KLyCTDo8XIwqa_pBQ?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen

About the Spanish flu - referenced almost immediately whenever someone posts an article about coronavirus.

The death rate of Spanish flu was not 2-3 % that is a mathematical impossibility. It was more like 10-20%

28 minutes ago, The Cysko Kid said:

https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEHorMp0XkJplzuXkFD97B0sqGAgEKg8IACoHCAow-KLyCTDo8XIwqa_pBQ?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen

About the Spanish flu - referenced almost immediately whenever someone posts an article about coronavirus.

The death rate of Spanish flu was not 2-3 % that is a mathematical impossibility. It was more like 10-20%

When I first posted about the coronavirus most people were not even talking about it or seemed to realize what a potential problem this flu could be. I had read a number of books by people who lived through the Spanish flu and they talked about the quarantines and how disruptive this flu was to their lives. I posted in that regard that this flu had the potential to be a serious crisis and we needed to take a flu pandemic seriously. 

These posts were usually met with funny memes which I don't see being posted now. 

Except for Diehards below...🙂

As much as I hated to see all the sports cancelled I see the wisdom of doing it. This flu may primarily hit the elderly and those with pre existing health problems harder than the rest of the population but there are still plenty of stories of younger patients with no health problems who had severe symptoms and had to be put on a ventilator. And that is the real concern that we do not have enough ventilators. What they are doing with keeping people from large gatherings is to try to keep a spike of the flu from happening at the same time and overwhelming the hospitals with those needing to be put on a ventilator. This just happened in Italy where  people were dying who needed to be on a ventilator but they didn't have enough because of a spike in the amount of the flu spreading.

As our CDC said we were not prepared for massive testing which South Korea is doing now and seems to be the most effective way thus far of dealing with the coronavirus. They are working quickly now to get testing up to speed but we lost some critical time before doing it.

The best thing now is to try to keep this flu from spiking and overwhelming our hospitals while trying to get testing up to speed.

https://thelogicalindian.com/news/italy-coronavirus-outbreak-20148 

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/health-environment/article/3074469/coronavirus-south-korea-cuts-infection-rate-without

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/health-environment/article/3075170/i-was-stupidly-overconfident-south-korean-coronavirus

31 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

As much as I hated to see all the sports cancelled I see the wisdom of doing it. This flu may primarily hit the elderly and those with pre existing health problems harder

how about this then... Travel restrictions and quarantine for anybody over the age of 75 or with any kind of pre-existing condition?

WSS

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Nero said:

UK wants out of the EU simply because they feel special. Very special.

I don't believe that is true. The benefits of sovereignty are lost with the collective. The EU was even talking

about having their own army. The EU was accruing more and more power to act like one country.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch... I mean, in England:

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2016/06/brexit-eu/488597/

"The force that turned Britain away from the European Union was the greatest mass migration since perhaps the Anglo-Saxon invasion. 630,000 foreign nationals settled in Britain in the single year 2015. Britain’s population has grown from 57 million in 1990 to 65 million in 2015, despite a native birth rate that’s now below replacement. On Britain’s present course, the population would top 70 million within another decade, half of that growth immigration-driven.

British population growth is not generally perceived to benefit British-born people. Migration stresses schools, hospitals, and above all, housing. The median house price in London already amounts to 12 times the median local salary. Rich migrants outbid British buyers for the best properties; poor migrants are willing to crowd more densely into a dwelling than British-born people are accustomed to tolerating."

"The June 23 vote represents a huge popular rebellion against a future in which British people feel increasingly crowded within—and even crowded out of—their own country: More than 200,000 British-born people leave the U.K. every year for brighter futures abroad, in Australia above all, the United States in second place."

"Now the American question:

By uncanny coincidence, EU referendum day in the U.K. coincided with the U.S. Supreme Court decision that halts President Obama’s program of executive amnesty for young illegal immigrants and their parents, an estimated 5 million people. American policymakers—like their U.K. and EU counterparts—have taken for granted that an open global economy implies (and even requires) the mass migration of people. Yet this same mass migration is generating populist, nativist reactions that threaten that same open economy: The anti-EU vote in the U.K., the Donald Trump campaign for president in the United States.

If any one person drove the United Kingdom out of the European Union, it was Angela Merkel, and her impulsive solo decision in the summer of 2015 to throw open Germany—and then all Europe—to 1.1 million Middle Eastern and North African migrants, with uncountable millions more to come. Merkel’s catastrophically negative example is one that perhaps should be avoided by U.S. politicians who seek to avert Trump-style populism in the United States. Instead, the politician who most directly opposes Donald Trump—presumptive Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton—is doubling down on Merkelism.

Hillary Clinton’s first reaction to the Supreme Court decision on executive amnesty looks at the issue exclusively and entirely from the point of view of the migrants themselves: “Today’s heartbreaking #SCOTUS immigration ruling could tear apart 5 million families facing deportation. We must do better.” That U.S. citizens might have different interests—and that it is the interests of citizens that deserve the highest attention of officials elected by those citizens—went unsaid and apparently unconsidered. But somebody is considering it. And those somebodies, in their many millions, are being heard from this year: loud, clear, and angry.

We want to hear what you think about this article. Submit a letter to the editor or write to letters@theatlantic.com.

David Frum is a staff writer at The Atlantic and the author of Trumpocalypse: Restoring American Democracy (2020). In 2001 and 2002, he was a speechwriter for President George W. Bush."

8 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

how about this then... Travel restrictions and quarantine for anybody over the age of 75 or with any kind of pre-existing condition?

WSS

The CDC lists those at higher risk as anyone over the age of 60. That age 75 number for travel restrictions and quarantines wouldn't have anything to do with you being in your 60's would it WSS? 😉

6 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

WSS

er...because you still allow it to go widespread and contaminate everything and everybody faster. I am amazed at how quickly this virus has spread to nearly every state in the U.S.

1 minute ago, calfoxwc said:

er...because you still allow it to go widespread and contaminate everything and everybody faster. I am amazed at how quickly this virus has spread to nearly every state in the U.S.

The silver lining is that the mortality rate does not appear to be as bad as we once thought but when it comes to being contagious I don't remember anything like this in my lifetime.

4 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

Probably been here all along like any other disease. Since it's not as severe as the regular flu people just think they have a cold it comes it goes and they don't think about it. Now that everybody is freaking the hell out they go and get tested and find out that that cold that they had that would go away in 7 Days is now called something else and they get to be celebrity.

WSS

7 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Probably been here all along like any other disease. Since it's not as severe as the regular flu people just think they have a cold it comes it goes and they don't think about it. Now that everybody is freaking the hell out they go and get tested and find out that that cold that they had that would go away and 7 Days is now called something else and they get to be celebrity.

WSS

The biggest problem I see is the contagiousness of the disease where massive amounts of people could be sick at once. As you say most people will have milder symptoms but with a big spread of the flu there will be too many people with severe symptoms and hospitals will be overwhelmed like we have seen most recently in Italy.

And people panic...those of us who have been around the block saw the panic at the grocery stores coming weeks ago and prepared.

12 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Probably been here all along like any other disease. Since it's not as severe as the regular flu people just think they have a cold it comes it goes and they don't think about it. Now that everybody is freaking the hell out they go and get tested and find out that that cold that they had that would go away in 7 Days is now called something else and they get to be celebrity.

WSS

Its more severe than the regular flu by quite a bit according to what I've been hearing on TV.