THE BROWNS BOARD

Bottom line on the virus

3 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

You think an engineer wouldn't have the "balls" to tell someone they're wrong in person? About math?

Dude we live for that shit

You think you're the only one that's made a living as an engineer?  Get over yourself..

3 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

LOLOLOLOL.   Then you're going to be in for a real shock when you come say hi at the BB 2021 draft party.

I sincerely doubt it.

1 hour ago, Axe said:

You think you're the only one that's made a living as an engineer?  Get over yourself..

No. Obviously not. At no point did I ever say that. At no point did I ever imply it. I was giving you a reason why your "you'd wouldn't have the balls to say that in person" comment was just so, so stupid.

You're the one here throwing around meaningless statistics and not getting why they don't matter. And I'm not the only one saying that...

Actually only 12% of the elderly that died in Italy was solely because of Corona. Of the remaining 88% many had 2-3 pre-morbidity conditions...they were gonna die anyway. Corona kind of nudged the inevitable along.

“The way in which we code deaths in our country is very generous in the sense that all the people who die in hospitals with the coronavirus are deemed to be dying of the coronavirus."

“On re-evaluation by the National Institute of Health, only 12 per cent of death certificates have shown a direct causality from coronavirus, while 88 per cent of patients who have died have at least one pre-morbidity - many had two or three,” he says. 

This does not mean that Covid-19 did not contribute to a patient's death, rather it demonstrates that Italy's fatality toll has surged as a large proportion of patients have underlying health conditions. Experts have also warned against making direct comparisons between countries due to discrepancies in testing.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/have-many-coronavirus-patients-died-italy/

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Axe said:

Congratulations

Welcome, to the machine..

You will grow to hate it..

Before CAD, it was even worse ;)

I've been here for a little bit of time. I have a team reporting to me and all that

But yes, I've seen old pics of all of the guys laid out across a massive sheet of paper drawing a big layout of something. Would be rough. In one of my internships I was pulling out drawings from the 30s like I was Indiana Jones or something

More good news. I posted yesterday how disappointing it was to hear the FDA turned down DeWine's request about this but looks like they reversed their decision. 

FDA lifts restrictions on Ohio-based Battelle's mask-sterilizing technology amid coronavirus shortages

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/03/29/coronavirus-fda-eases-restrictions-mask-sterilization-technology/2936670001/

I don't think we want to rush medication or a vaccine for a disease we're still learning about. I think it's easy to say "well the FDA is slowing everything down!" but how would everyone react if the vaccine starts having adverse effects in people? This is a global crisis. Funding and resources to fix it our practically unlimited. I doubt they're just sitting on their hands 

4 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

I don't think we want to rush medication or a vaccine for a disease we're still learning about. I think it's easy to say "well the FDA is slowing everything down!" but how would everyone react if the vaccine starts having adverse effects in people? This is a global crisis. Funding and resources to fix it our practically unlimited. I doubt they're just sitting on their hands 

Hydrooxychloroquine is not an unknown quantity. The risks are known and have been known for some time. If it shows promise now is not the time to conduct years long clinical trials on a drug with effects that are known. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

I know we need more studies on hydroxychloroquine and zpac to be clinically studied but for now it is one of the most promising things in our tool box for those with covid 19. I want patients and their doctors to decide if they want to take this drug. What the doctor who has successfully treated 700 patients with the drug has said is once lung damage is done and patients are on ventilators these drugs are not so effective. That is why I messaged the woman on facebook who was having severe breathing problems it might be critical for her to start taking hydroxychloroquine and zpac now before her symptoms got worse and then it might be too late to take the drug.

As some have already said we are at war with an invisible enemy and you fight with the army you have and not the one you would like to have.

22 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Yeah, no sense in rushing things...need things to get worse while Trump is still President.  Can't let a good crisis go to waste!

1 hour ago, OldBrownsFan said:

I know we need more studies on hydroxychloroquine and zpac to be clinically studied but for now it is one of the most promising things in our tool box for those with covid 19. I want patients and their doctors to decide if they want to take this drug. What the doctor who has successfully treated 700 patients with the drug has said is once lung damage is done and patients are on ventilators these drugs are not so effective. That is why I messaged the woman on facebook who was having severe breathing problems it might be critical for her to start taking hydroxychloroquine and zpac now before her symptoms got worse and then it might be too late to take the drug.

As some have already said we are at war with an invisible enemy and you fight with the army you have and not the one you would like to have.

- So the Dr himself said the drug is only "successful" when the damage isn't that bad. If that's the case then how many of those people were just going to recover anyway?

- For your analogy to work the army you have may also occasionally sit still on the battlefield and not do anything. Or worse they may shoot your own civilians. That's why the army you have needs to be vetted through FDA bout camp. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Cysko Kid said:

I would be more than happy to lead a project here to start manufacturing needed medical supplies and equipment. I don't know how much of a clean room you need to have though.

My company is also still getting a ton of orders of our normal products. 

1 hour ago, Gorka said:

Yeah, no sense in rushing things...need things to get worse while Trump is still President.  Can't let a good crisis go to waste!

Yeah. Fuck it. Let's start doing poorly controlled experiments on the sick public. That'll give us all of the info we need...

13 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

I got my degree in Mechanical and I work within Manufacturing

Cool. Probably the easier among the engineering disciplines to earn a degree in (electrical, chemical), but you still gotta know a lot of math and be good at it.

1 hour ago, MLD Woody said:

- So the Dr himself said the drug is only "successful" when the damage isn't that bad. If that's the case then how many of those people were just going to recover anyway?

- For your analogy to work the army you have may also occasionally sit still on the battlefield and not do anything. Or worse they may shoot your own civilians. That's why the army you have needs to be vetted through FDA bout camp. 

He said that because at the point of a patient having lung damage that is different than just having covid 19. It is a whole new problem..

Here is the bottom line with taking Hydroxychloroquine:

It may help and appears to have helped patients with covid19. The drug is cheap and easy to mfg. There is little to lose in offering patients this drug when there is no other options available. It is unlikely to worsen covid19 and it may help when nothing else is being offered. 

1 hour ago, MLD Woody said:

The unknown here is the ages of the 700 that have recovered. If this drug was administered to a 70 yr old when the damage wasn't that bad, doesn't that suggest that the drug stopped it from getting worse?

1 hour ago, Gorka said:

Cool. Probably the easier among the engineering disciplines to earn a degree in (electrical, chemical), but you still gotta know a lot of math and be good at it.

Not really.

Industrial is considered the "lowest"

Then Civil

Chemical is just different but I'm not so sure it's more difficult. Orgo is definitely a weed out course though.

Aerospace is very similar.

Electrical may be harder. It was always less intuitive for me. We did the coursework up until there were imaginary numbers and the current had an angle. But I could more easily visualize force, stress, etc than current, resistance, etc. Plus Mechanical was more broad so it opened up more to me.

All of the engineering disciplines at Michigan (and most places) go through Differential Equations for math (and then I took Linear Algebra). That math showed up in vibrations and systems work.

I planned on doing Nuclear when I started school but Fukushima happened my freshman year. 

1 hour ago, OldBrownsFan said:

He said that because at the point of a patient having lung damage that is different than just having covid 19. It is a whole new problem..

Here is the bottom line with taking Hydroxychloroquine:

It may help and appears to have helped patients with covid19. The drug is cheap and easy to mfg. There is little to lose in offering patients this drug when there is no other options available. It is unlikely to worsen covid19 and it may help when nothing else is being offered. 

Assuming there is extra of it to go around and not take from the people that actually need it.

And the people with covid taking it understand there may be side effects we don't know about yet

1 hour ago, Gorka said:

The unknown here is the ages of the 700 that have recovered. If this drug was administered to a 70 yr old when the damage wasn't that bad, doesn't that suggest that the drug stopped it from getting worse?

No idea. That's why there needs to be studies that show statistically significant results 

10 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Assuming there is extra of it to go around and not take from the people that actually need it.

And the people with covid taking it understand there may be side effects we don't know about yet

There should be a lot of it. It is cheap and easy to mfg. Israel recently gave us 10 million doses and I saw where another pharmaceutical is giving us 30 million doses.

Most states are putting some restrictions such as only 14 days supply at a time and must have positive covid 19 tests. I am fine with these types of restrictions that will prevent hoarding but I do not want to see anyone diagnosed with covid 19 not having the choice of taking hydroxychloroquine and zpack if they choose to. 

Later we may find better and more clinically tested alternative drugs but this is the best option for now that we know about.

18 hours ago, Gorka said:

Actually only 12% of the elderly that died in Italy was solely because of Corona. Of the remaining 88% many had 2-3 pre-morbidity conditions...they were gonna die anyway. Corona kind of nudged the inevitable along.

“The way in which we code deaths in our country is very generous in the sense that all the people who die in hospitals with the coronavirus are deemed to be dying of the coronavirus."

“On re-evaluation by the National Institute of Health, only 12 per cent of death certificates have shown a direct causality from coronavirus, while 88 per cent of patients who have died have at least one pre-morbidity - many had two or three,” he says. 

This does not mean that Covid-19 did not contribute to a patient's death, rather it demonstrates that Italy's fatality toll has surged as a large proportion of patients have underlying health conditions. Experts have also warned against making direct comparisons between countries due to discrepancies in testing.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/have-many-coronavirus-patients-died-italy/

:) G, this reminds me a lot of what some African nations were doing during the Ebola crisis.  Hit by car- Ebola. Black Mamba bite- Ebola. Stomped by elephant- Ebola. 

So complications due to corona = 100% corona was the cause of death. We've long known that elderly with multiple underlying health conditions were at extreme risk,  so no surprise at all that's accounting for the vast majority of deaths. Nice way to pad your stats Italy. Pray that the Pope will forgive you for that.