THE BROWNS BOARD

What/Who are you currently listening to?

tiamat63

On 4/15/2021 at 12:35 PM, TexasAg1969 said:

Nice song. So what is the full legend behind the song Steve?

Ā About 10 years after the war of 1812 some business people decided to dig a canal from the Ohio Erie canal in Stark County to Glasgow, beaver county Pennsylvania linking the Great Lakes to the Ohio river. Should have been a gold mine. It was a monumental program because they were going through the rocks and trees and mountains of East Ohio AĀ world renowned civil engineer EH Gill was brought over from Paris.Ā  He made the trip with his wife and child but his wifeĀ died and was buried at sea. Determined to finish his task Mr. Gill worked while his little daughter Gretchen stayed with the farmers wives.Ā  Gretchen died of a fever and her body interred under one of the locks which they call Gretchens lock.Ā  Eventually a financial crash and his broken heart forced GillĀ to take her coffin back to Paris. The workers said theyĀ could hear him at night prayingĀ for nothing else but his family to be back together. On the way back to Paris legend has it a storm sank the ship and now Mr. Gill his wife and child are togetherĀ at the bottom of the Atlantic.Ā  Some nights,Ā Ā near Gretchens lockĀ someĀ folks claim they can hear a baby cry.

Ā My song on the same album the Sandy and Beaver Canal is actually a historic telling of the project. TheĀ  Ballad of Gretchens Lock of course is a ghost story.

Ā 

WSS

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

And now we slow it downnnnnnnnnnnnnn................... with the Eagles.šŸ˜Ā  Don Henley is another Texas boy.

Ā 

Oh yes I can get into some Eagles !

When we got a nice new stereo for our downstairs hallway I updated our CD collection.Ā  The first CD WAS the Eagles.

On 4/13/2021 at 1:05 PM, tiamat63 said:

You can fuck right off with that.

70's Nuge, Aero & Kiss was solid.Ā  80's? Not so much.Ā  You're off by a decade.

There's beenĀ crap music in every decade.Ā  Early 70s you still had Led Zep and Jethro Tull. Late 70s- you had America's answer to the Beatles- Fleetwood Mac.Ā Ā 

On 4/13/2021 at 4:17 PM, Browns149 said:

Please. The 80ā€™s were way better. Metallica, Guns & Roses, Social Distortion, The Red Hot Chili Peppers, Iron Maiden, are all WAY better then Nugent, Kiss or Aeroshit

Kiss is the MOST overrated band of all time. Unless you need to sell a lunch box or a pinball machine or a casket

Otherwise their music is childish and lame

Kiss sold a ton of records- do you want to talk $$$ sales or technical mastery from guys likeĀ Yngwie Malmsteen or Joe Satriani who probably haven't soldĀ 1\10th the records Kiss did?Ā Ā 

Let's back the truck up to the 70s- this band hit their stride in the 70s- they're usually rated up there with the GOATS- you may have heard of them-Ā Pink Floyd. (I was fortunate enough to catch them in a small venue (2,000 seat 20th row) before they hit the big time, and if you twisted my arm, I would have to put it as the best concert I was ever at- close second would be The Who with James Taylor, Joe Walsh & The James Gang as the opening acts)....Ā Ā Ā 

More 70s- Black Sabbath & Ozzie damn nearĀ invented Metal. Love Metallica and to a lesser extent Guns & Roses- the strike thoughs are strictly a matter of personal opinion if they'reĀ any better than the bands you're dissing. :)Ā  Personally- I'll take 80s Van Halen anytime over the not so Hot- to my mind- ChiliĀ Peppers.Ā  PS- my biggest disappointment?Ā I was never able to catch Hendrix live.Ā 

One of my favorites from 1970...Ā Ā upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/06/Johnny_W...

I was there when James Taylor hoping for the Who. I was there the next year when Pete Townshend scold the audience for being rude to Taylor.Ā 

Ā And let's face it kids the older we get the less aware we are helped pop music which is, let's admit it, made for young people.

Ā Thing about music is it's mostly generational and completely subjective. Technical proficiency record sales good looks hypeā€¦ Some of the music you guys have posted really strikes me like an ice pick in the ear sure vice versaers as well.

WSS

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

And let's face it kids the older we get the less aware we are helped pop music which is, let's admit it, made for young people.

Ā Thing about music is it's mostly generational and completely subjective. Technical proficiency record sales good looks hypeā€¦ Some of the music you guys have posted really strikes me like an ice pick in the ear sure vice versaers as well.

WSS

Well what about great music from the 50's???Ā Ā Ā  A least they were in tune with the "Alien" movies of the day!! Plus you could rock 'n roll to it.šŸ‘¾šŸ˜±šŸ¤£

And Sheb was ahead of his time. You could do the twist from the 60s to that!!šŸ˜œ

Ā 

Ā 

41 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

OK now back to great guitar licks. This guy is good at duplicating many of the very best all in one video. šŸŽøšŸ˜

Ā 

Ā ThoughĀ my focus is usually on vocals and lyrics I am always amazed at guys that can do that. If you get a chance listen to some Ariels Attic.

WSS

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

Ā ThoughĀ my focus is usually on vocals and lyrics I am always amazed at guys that can do that. If you get a chance listen to some Ariels Attic.

WSS

Well fortunately I didn't post accordion licks.Ā  LOL!šŸ˜‚

11 hours ago, hoorta said:

There's beenĀ crap music in every decade.Ā  Early 70s you still had Led Zep and Jethro Tull. Late 70s- you had America's answer to the Beatles- Fleetwood Mac.Ā Ā 

Kiss sold a ton of records- do you want to talk $$$ sales or technical mastery from guys likeĀ Yngwie Malmsteen or Joe Satriani who probably haven't soldĀ 1\10th the records Kiss did?Ā Ā 

Let's back the truck up to the 70s- this band hit their stride in the 70s- they're usually rated up there with the GOATS- you may have heard of them-Ā Pink Floyd. (I was fortunate enough to catch them in a small venue (2,000 seat 20th row) before they hit the big time, and if you twisted my arm, I would have to put it as the best concert I was ever at- close second would be The Who with James Taylor, Joe Walsh & The James Gang as the opening acts)....Ā Ā Ā 

More 70s- Black Sabbath & Ozzie damn nearĀ invented Metal. Love Metallica and to a lesser extent Guns & Roses- the strike thoughs are strictly a matter of personal opinion if they'reĀ any better than the bands you're dissing. :)Ā  Personally- I'll take 80s Van Halen anytime over the not so Hot- to my mind- ChiliĀ Peppers.Ā  PS- my biggest disappointment?Ā I was never able to catch Hendrix live.Ā 

Ā 

- Forgot about Jethro Tull.Ā  Ā Answer on Jeopardy years ago was "the inventor of the grain wheel" for $1000.Ā  Ā Which was I think one of like 3 questions I actually got right that whole time.

- Kiss did sell a ton of records.Ā  Ā So did/does Nickelback.Ā  Ā  So would I prefer to talk money with them or elite musicianship with a band like Tool?Ā  Easy ass question because even Kiss fans know they aren't a good music gig, they're just a good act.Ā  Ā Hence so much focus on the theatrics of the live show.Ā 

- Down with Floyd (can't not be if you're a Tool fan) and love me some Who.Ā 

- Sabbath is classic.Ā  Metallica died for me in the early 80's.Ā  Black was a fine album, but anything else past that was just an evolution from metal/hard rock/thrash to radio play shit.

- Van Halen, yes.Ā  Van Hagar, no.Ā 

- I think Hendrix live would be a show damn near every soul would want to see.

I just re-read The Day of the Jackal first published in June 1971. I found it interesting that (spoiler alert) the Jackal was buried in Paris' PĆØre Lachaise Cemetery in an unmarked grave. That is the same cemetery where Jim Morrison of the Doors was buried there upon his death a month (July 1971) after that publication.Ā  Great novel BTW if you have never read it.

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I just re-read The Day of the Jackal first published in June 1971. I found it interesting that (spoiler alert) the Jackal was buried in Paris' PĆØre Lachaise Cemetery in an unmarked grave. That is the same cemetery where Jim Morrison of the Doors was buried there upon his death a month (July 1971) after that publication.Ā  Great novel BTW if you have never read it.

Saw the movie.Ā  Very good.Ā  Also saw The Day of the Dolphin,Ā  for whichĀ  Day of the Jackal wasĀ  prototype.Ā Ā 

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Saw the movie.Ā  Very good.Ā  Also saw The Day of the Dolphin,Ā  for whichĀ  Day of the Jackal wasĀ  prototype.Ā Ā 

The movie did an excellent job of transferring the book to movie, even used the right Alfa Romeo Spyder as the book.

First off, credit to Eric Kretz and Dean Deleo.Ā  Ā While he isn't a "monster" drummer, I always found his grooves and fills to be the perfect compliment to this group.Ā  Deleo because his distinct tone that gave STP that sound beyond Scott.Ā  Ā I can't imagine it's easy being band mates with an all-timer like Weiland and his voice.Ā  Ā  Ā Ā 

But this band, this performance and that fucking CROWD.Ā  Ā  Ā  While I have no desire to get older, sometimes I wish I had been of a more concert going age when these types of groups were at their pinacle.

Ā 

Ā 

16 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

First off, credit to Eric Kretz and Dean Deleo.Ā  Ā While he isn't a "monster" drummer, I always found his grooves and fills to be the perfect compliment to this group.Ā  Deleo because his distinct tone that gave STP that sound beyond Scott.Ā  Ā I can't imagine it's easy being band mates with an all-timer like Weiland and his voice.Ā  Ā  Ā Ā 

But this band, this performance and that fucking CROWD.Ā  Ā  Ā  While I have no desire to get older, sometimes I wish I had been of a more concert going age when these types of groups were at their pinacle.

After seeing your post on the FB Board I thought I would come here and see you had posted "Simple Man". Well since I always liked it, here it is anyway.šŸ˜

Ā 

59 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

After seeing your post on the FB Board I thought I would come here and see you had posted "Simple Man". Well since I always liked it, here it is anyway.šŸ˜

Ā 

Good song.Ā  Ā There was also an "unplugged" version that was really good.Ā  Can't recall if it was Skynyrd or someone else that did it.Ā  I believeĀ  WSS does an unplugged version in his act.Ā 

1 minute ago, tiamat63 said:

Was always more of a Free Bird kind of guy.

Oh yeah Free Bird and a few other great standards back then.

I was more of a Led Zeppelin guy and of course the bikers #1 song byĀ  Steppenwolf and Born to be Wild !