THE BROWNS BOARD

Clowney is a Brownie

Vambo

This tells me that his knees passed some sort of physical. Injuries robbed Clowney of some of freakiness but there's no doubt he can be a force...especially against single blocking assignments and especially if he doesn't have to play every snap. This could be an extremely important signing...make it happen. I also think this means we're going CB in the draft. 

• Upvote 1

Christ ! can a man wake up first..

70b96781e2991b0fb2896a124c655b62.jpg           okay monday lets do this funny football charlie brown days of the week mondays humor  I'll be gladly shuffling off to my drama free job 🚴‍♂️

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I surely hope, if this is true, that Clowney and his 3 sacks in his last 22 games played doesn't keep the Browns from adding a DE early in the draft. 

They can't double team them both, especially with Jackson now added to the middle push into the DEs. We are doing to D what we did to the O last offseason. This team is headed for greatness.  Can ya feel it?😱😁

• Like 2

Don't think of Clowney as a past #1 overall pick.. think of him as Olivier Vernon. For those of you who don't click links, their performances last year were separated by 0.1

Realistic expectations are key.. if you expect Myles Garrett, he'll disappoint. If you expect Curtis Weaver, you'll be happy.

As to who to take.. I'd say this allows us to sit back and see which top-20 defensive talent falls to us.  The pool of not-elite-but-pretty-good is a large one.

• Upvote 1

It is All about rotating DUDES upfront.  We’ve acquired the dudes now.  Still want a DE/DT within first couple picks. 

This is a Great signing if Clowney  is on 40-50% snap pitch count.  

We are finally assembling depth where we can keep guys fresh with little to no drop off.  

1 hour ago, Unsympathetic said:

Don't think of Clowney as a past #1 overall pick.. think of him as Olivier Vernon. For those of you who don't click links, their performances last year were separated by 0.1

Realistic expectations are key.. if you expect Myles Garrett, he'll disappoint. If you expect Curtis Weaver, you'll be happy.

As to who to take.. I'd say this allows us to sit back and see which top-20 defensive talent falls to us.  The pool of not-elite-but-pretty-good is a large one.

I'm expecting a better run stopper and faster, quicker version of Vernon. The room just got a lot better for depth as SdBacker points out. Fresh legs sure worked for TB.

On 4/11/2021 at 10:29 PM, Unsympathetic said:

Just for context: Clowney 2020 // Vernon 2020.

We don't have a drastic need into which a first-round pick will be thrown.  Who are you, Andrew Berry, and what have you done with Berea?

What Berry is doing- is: this is our year, we're going for it all. Apparently Berry doesn't see any edge talent at #26 superior toJavedon. I hope it's just another one year contract for Clowney. 

We've bolstered the secondary in FA- it allows us to take the best LB on the board in the first round. 

8 minutes ago, hoorta said:

What Berry is doing- is: this is our year, we're going for it all. Apparently Berry doesn't see any edge talent at #26 superior toJavedon. I hope it's just another one year contract for Clowney. 

We've bostered the secondary in FA- it allows us to take the best LB on the board in the first round. 

I don’t think it matters we have a lot of key contributors on potential one year deals...(free agents or could be cut before 2022 with little to no penalty).  We can go in any number of directions including edge rusher at 26.

But id rule out QB, LT, RT, RB, K, P

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, hoorta said:

We've bostered the secondary in FA- it allows us to take the best LB on the board in the first round. 

Sig bet it's either DB or WR (barring Micah Parsons miracle drop)

9 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Let’s be real here with the Vernon/Clowney comparison.  

53F212B4-181F-44F7-AFEC-298219634670.jpeg

Applying context to stats.  The past two seasons he's been on Subpar pass rushing fronts.  So naturally he will draw the extra assignment as the largest threat... But in this case it was pretty much by default.   Harold Landry is an ok player, but JD hasn't been on the line with any high end talent since Watt.  Yes, that includes me considering Poona Ford and Jurrel Casey.

26 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Applying context to stats.  The past two seasons he's been on Subpar pass rushing fronts.  So naturally he will draw the extra assignment as the largest threat... But in this case it was pretty much by default.   Harold Landry is an ok player, but JD hasn't been on the line with any high end talent since Watt.  Yes, that includes me considering Poona Ford and Jurrel Casey.

Yep...And of course I’d expect less double teams on the Browns and fewer snaps (fingers crossed).   So he’s fresh and dealing with one on one battles coming after the QB in the 4th quarter because we are playing ahead. 

we need dudes and we got another one...we have to chase Burrow and Lamar 4 times a year. 

I thought word from his camp was that we 'Weren't a good fit' for him?  Why would we fit now?  No better offers?

In the end, I want Berry to get what he wants.

Two years in a row Clowney visits us and says we're not a good fit. What happened?  Best guess - Clowney found out there is no market for someone who played 8 games with zero sacks last year. Having said that, I'm happy to have him if it's a reasonable contract. I could see him being a locker room cancer with his selfishness, but this is the closest we've ever been to being contenders, so you got to take some chances. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

This tells me that his knees passed some sort of physical.

Knees haven't been an issue the past two seasons. Recently missed times have been core injuries.

6 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

This...

12 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Pass.

Signing him so opponents' Offenses have more trouble doing so.

If Clowney came on board then our draft board would open up a little more.  It wouldn't preclude drafting an edge guy that fell to us, but it would move other positions up the ladder a bit.  Maybe even take a chance on an OLB that you think might also be a strong edge rusher.  (I don't like running the 'jack of all trades' risk in the 1st round though)

...IMO it also makes trading up or back less stressful.  

• Upvote 2

I'm starting to think the Browns are signing some other Jadeveon Clowney.

The one some of you are talking about sounds like a really good player, not a guy who is an also-ran who is beginning the end of his career bouncing from one team to another.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dutch Oven said:

The one some of you are talking about sounds like a really good player, not a guy who is an also-ran who is beginning the end of his career bouncing from one team to another.

End of his career at 28? I don't think so.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

...nope.  It's him. :)

-----------------

I think that Berry's current attitude is This:   We're building for the future, but along the way we want to rack up a few super bowls.