THE BROWNS BOARD

2022 NFL Draft: Day 2

Dutch Oven

Going with the initial asserted justification for Schwartz -- he does one thing better than everyone else -- that's simply not true comparing Wright to Leal.  As with Clowney.. Leal is better setting the edge, better rushing the passer, more athletic -- in short, Leal is better at executing his position's  role while playing the game of football.

I'm (not) looking forward to Berry's answer/excuse/avoidance of this terrible decision.

5 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

These are 2-3 year project type picks. 

Doesn't say much for the Baker Mayfield trade value for picks does it.  Teams know that they don't have to give up much for him. Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

3 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

I am leaning more towards the skeptical side

Alex Wright can take advice from none other than Curtis Weaver!

Panthers just took Matt Corral - so Baker won't be heading there..

Let me guess: Bo Melton as a 4th round WR we'll take in the 3rd? He's good, sure, but..

The Bell pick is a Jarvis replacement. His size and combine measurements were favorable to Landry's. I had to check out Jarvis 40 time and he was at 4.77, and he was a second rounder with obj on the same team. If you watched Bell play the last few years, you know the dude can ball out and is a perfect ready to go slot wr. We still need a burner, but this was a great value pick.

Sporting News' assessment of Browns pick plus Leal in comparison. Pretty much follows what I thought with exception of a higher grade on Emerson that I thought he should get drafted where they got him.

68. Cleveland Browns (from Texans): Martin Emerson, CB, Mississippi State

• Grade: B

The Browns needed a big, strong corner option to complement their other cover men given the size and strength challenges related to the AFC North wide receiver competition.

78. Cleveland Browns: Alex Wright, EDGE, UAB

• Grade: C

The Browns got enamored with Wright’s immense raw explosive skills as a pass rusher, but he’s limited to a situational player until he can round out his game. His value was that of a mid Day 3 pick. 

99. Cleveland Browns: David Bell, WR, Purdue

• Grade: A

The Browns were smart to jump on wide receiver value to further boost Deshaun Watson’s targets away from Ameri Cooper. Bell has intriguing physicality, speed and quickness, making him an appealing after-the-catch and field-stretching burst option.

84. Pittsburgh Steelers: DeMarvin Leal, DT, Texas A&M

• Grade: A

The Steeelers also catch a falling star who has some good inside pass-rushing pop to complement the rest of their strong options in their front seven, first as a situational rookie.

My comment on the Leal vs Wright picks: Pitt was smart enough to understand that Leal's falloff in production this year was the fact the several inside DLs were suspended by A&M and he had to play inside his normal 5-tech position most of the games. That made him the guy who forced a lot of teams to double team him which allowed the others to put most of the pressure on QBs. Browns scouting should have picked this up. Fire whoever was responsible for that oversight.

14 hours ago, Orion said:

Understood....but can't we teach him how to concentrate on the ball or something?   I mean, ya can't teach tall, fast and jump high...

I'd spend/waste (who really knows here and now?) my 2nd round pick on him.

Good point Orion

This isn't aimed at you as much as it is at others - why are we spending all this time on the very last WR I listed ?   I have nothing to do with where these guys are rated/projected so the ones I like best are mentioned in order of my preference from left to right.  That list begins with David Bell and George Pickens as the 1st and 2nd WRs.  As fate would have it, the Browns drafted David Bell in round 3.  I've also brought him up in other draft threads. That's a really good selection for round 3 IMO. 

Apparently a team that never knows how to draft decent WRs after round 1 (ie; Davante Adams, Jordy Nelson, Donald Driver, Greg Jennings) traded up to #34 to draft Christian Scissorhands-Watson.  Sometimes the best cure for a guy like Watson is an accurate QB putting together a HOF career like Aaron Rodgers.  When a passer consistently puts the ball in places where it can't be dropped - one might be pleasantly surprised what it could do for a young WR's consistency (especially if they have their pitch and catch timing down which is a great cure for concentration lapses). That won't change our minds right now any more than we refused to open our minds up about Josh Allen in here pre-draft.  "If he couldn't carry his team on a lesser level - how is he going to do this at a more competitive level" appeared to be the popular line of thought in here (that I was guilty of too).  Teams aren't drafting rear view mirror.  

Just remember, there are guys like a Joey Galloway that can be much better professional players than they were in college.  Another Ohio State WR with much better stats in the NFL than in college was Michael Thomas who had seasons with 149 rec and 125 rec  with the Saints vrs his bests of 54 and 56 receptions at Ohio State. The difference?  Drew Brees and style of offense. Sometimes you only have to ask the why and dig if you don't know it. What Michael DID have at Ohio State was an impressive 9 TD receptions in each of his last 2 years that showed the right shopper like Sean Payton this might be the perfect WR for him after round 1 at #47 overall.  Payton didn't wait for hindsight 20/20 to giddy-up and get after that.

Edited by Flugel
1 necessary correction and additional point
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The Nick Cross thing still bothers me.  This team really could have used two safeties with matching skill sets on the backend (Cross & Johnny J)    Watching Emerson now, and I see the talent.  I just also don't see the need for THAT high + immediate fit.  If you wanted a tall corner, you had one on roster that has shown promise - AJ Green.    

No thoughts on Wright of yet, I'll get around to him and all the picks at some point.

11 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

The Nick Cross thing still bothers me.  This team really could have used two safeties with matching skill sets on the backend (Cross & Johnny J)    Watching Emerson now, and I see the talent.  I just also don't see the need for THAT high + immediate fit.  If you wanted a tall corner, you had one on roster that has shown promise - AJ Green.    

No thoughts on Wright of yet, I'll get around to him and all the picks at some point.

Bell was the only one I liked where we picked him. The other two......................blah.  Later rounds for both.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Bell was the only one I liked where we picked him. The other two......................blah.  Later rounds for both.

Why would they let the Stools take Leal... Dumb! Dumb! Dumb! The first two picks are garbage!

Two things.

- The Baker to CAR rumors were squashed last night when they took Matt Corral. 

- Whoever propagated and believed the "ThE StEeLeRs WiLl PiCk Up BaKeR iF hE's CuT" .... you're retarded.      That is a coaching staff that has actively talked shit on his abilities as a QB both on and off the field.   I'm not sure if I mentioned this before, but if I had, I'm just reminding you and Kenny Pickett was the proof.