THE BROWNS BOARD

Baker to Carolina

ATOM

21 hours ago, PoeticG said:

It's not employer/employee...

Was Otto Graham and Paul Brown like that? You don't get the extra you need in this league with the Pilot Flying J cashier employee handbook. This is not a numbers game, it's a people's game and people matter. They are not robots and BM should have shown enough to warrant a long term contract for his sacrifice for the team. Watson will sit if he has a tummy ache... it's a given, he gets paid regardless. 

Po, don't be silly.   Automatic Otto was winning Championships left and right for the Browns.. You want a statue for Baker outside of First Energy because he won exactly ONE playoff game for the Browns (with they help of FIVE turnovers from the Steelers- including one on the first scrimmage play)?  :D  :D  :D  

Baker is- hate to tell you- on the same career track as one of your other faves... Saquon Barkley.  Baker was going to be on a one year "show us" contract after 2021. And after the season the Browns Front Office thought he "showed us" that he wasn't the long term answer. Tia posted a ton of screen shots "showing" exactly why. If a dedicated Browns fan can see that, you can bet the ranch every Defensive Coordinator in the NFL had seen it- and 50 times more of Baker's shortcomings.  

I don't get sentimental about players anymore...  I have a Tim Couch jersey gathering dust in my basement as to the reason why.  

Baker will start 20 games in the rest of his career.

The point of next season should have been for him to find the best place to showcase his talent.. and that will not be Carolina.  He wants to be told he's "the man" more than he wants to find the greatest situation for himself.  He will be "the guy" next season in Carolina.. And he will realize that Carolina's OL and WR are average at best, their coaches are somewhere between bizarre-to-terrible, and as a result of the chaos he'll experience in the 2022 season, he'll bounce around the league for the next 5-6 years.

I’m feeling kinda Matt Casselish with Bakers career.

81 total starts 104 Games. But I think he will be in the league fewer years i give him 11 years.

Cassel had like 4 solid years and then 10 that were pine riding spot start type years.

I could see Baker being a great relief QB coming in second half of a blowout and getting a team close and then having the coaches full confidence but laying an egg the next week. 

5 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan1 said:

READ THAT ARTICLE,  hits the nail right on the head. 

Why Baker Mayfield is not and will never be a franchise quarterback and lead his team.......anywhere. 

Browns' Baker Mayfield era ends in trade to Panthers: Too short, too slow, too cocky

Marla Ridenour, Akron Beacon Journal - Yesterday 8:58 PM
  • Haha 1

This kind of sums it up, good read from the ABJ :

Browns' Baker Mayfield era ends in trade to Panthers: Too short, too slow, too cocky

Marla Ridenour, Akron Beacon Journal - Yesterday 8:58 PM

........Or why he isn't and will never be a franchise quarterback, good read loaded with teammates feelings about  BRM.   ;)

On 7/6/2022 at 8:28 PM, PoeticG said:

Watson will sit if he has a tummy ache... it's a given

Back in reality:

1] Watson plays through brutal hand injury, finishes with 324 yards

He played the next week, throwing for 361.  On an injury everyone told him to shut it down for the year.. likely because it was the last week of the year.

2] Watson threw a game-winning TD with his eyes closed a half-second after getting kicked in the face

If Watson has a tummy ache, the tummy ache sits.

5 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

Back in reality:

He played the next week, throwing for 361.  On an injury everyone told him to shut it down for the year.. likely because it was the last week of the year.

2] Watson threw a game-winning TD with his eyes closed a half-second after getting kicked in the face

That was before he had a 230 million guaranteed contract. He already hasn't been blindsided by a linebacker in two years. He gets demolished on one unforeseen hit on a scramble or broken block or a blitz, he's done done.

5 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

Back in reality:

I'm guessing he won those games even with the injury? Because if he didn't and the Baker haters keep crying that Mayfield forced Stefanski to play him when he should have sat and let the backup start.. well I guess you know where I'm going.

😏

WSS

7 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

Back in reality:

So what was the reason he couldn’t play for the entire 2021 season?

I think we both know the answer to that question.

Physically tough…mentally weak.

• Upvote 1

On 7/6/2022 at 6:50 PM, TexasAg1969 said:

Considering the competition where he's going, he has a good a chance to remain their starter. But then he will no longer have the Brown's OL protecting him so .................injury maybe?

The Browns o l wasn't particularly stellar with Tretter hobbled by injury Conklin out and Will's not really living up to the expectations of his draft position.

Am I mistaken or is Carolinas front office and staff in some sort of turmoil?

But still I think the question is a little bit vague so..

WSS

• Upvote 1

It is funny seeing this place go through it's usual cycle where a player is perfect in every way and then next thing you know, when they're no longer here or on the way out, that player is trash, a diva, cocky, etc...

I feel like I've watch this movie a dozen times in the time I've been on this board

37 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

It is funny seeing this place go through it's usual cycle where a player is perfect in every way and then next thing you know, when they're no longer here or on the way out, that player is trash, a diva, cocky, etc...

I feel like I've watch this movie a dozen times in the time I've been on this board

This board? Expand your horizons Woody. It is part of the nature of sports fans in particular and the world in general. And one of the reasons that sports institutions are as popular as they are.

WSS

2 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

This board? Expand your horizons Woody. It is part of the nature of sports fans in particular and the world in general. And one of the reasons that sports institutions are as popular as they are.

WSS

Probably. Sure. But I spend time on here and I know how people react here. It is also definitely very pronounced here.

The brown and orange tinted glasses are strong 

1 hour ago, MLD Woody said:

Probably. Sure. But I spend time on here and I know how people react here. It is also definitely very pronounced here.

The brown and orange tinted glasses are strong 

Have you tried the brown and orange contact lenses ?  Just remember to change eyes every couple of days.    :blink:

I'm shocked the Browns found someone to take him. He's got shit leadership, he and his wife don't know how to stay off social media, and he is coming off an injury that may or may not to continue to affect his throwing motion. If his arm comes back, then he's the best QB the Panthers will have had in some time. Carolina is on the schedule, so this should be a fun game to watch. 

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/browns-baker-mayfield-kevin-stefanski-relationship-lacked-trust/j0wajuvvbl3xhgmtwqj92d0k

It became clear during the 2021 season that the relationship between quarterback Baker Mayfield and the Browns was beginning to be strained. Now, a report following his trade from Cleveland to the Panthers shows just how he and coach Kevin Stefanski fell out.

On Friday, The Athletic's Jason Lloyd detailed how Mayfield and Stefanski began to lose trust in one another following a successful 2020 season, and how throughout a tumultuous 2021 campaign, an eventual split became increasingly likely.

Writing a post-mortem to Mayfield's time in Cleveland, Lloyd reported the team viewed Mayfield as "childish and immature" and that his behavior in the locker room divided the team and annoyed teammates, and often made him a difficult player to coach.

The day after a 45-7 dismantling by the Patriots in Week 10, Mayfield was reportedly annoyed Stefanski missed a meeting and believed he should be at each meeting. Stefanski instead met with defensive end Myles Garrett, who had called out the coaching staff's lack of adjustments during his post-game press conference. Stefanski reportedly never missed another meeting and privately called out Mayfield during film sessions.

As the season went on, Stefanski continued to lose trust in Mayfield, Lloyd reported. Mayfield was no longer feeling confident in himself, and during the Week 17 clash against the Steelers when he was sacked nine times, he questioned why rookie offensive tackle James Hudson wasn't receiving more support against T.J. Watt.

The team, however, believed Mayfield had plenty of time to pass, but that he lacked confidence in himself or what he saw available on the field.

Lloyd also reported the team wasn't faced with a power struggle, but rather that it felt Mayfield was not good enough to be the starter moving forward.

The 2021 season was a major step back for the Browns and their 2018 first overall selection. Mayfield built excitement around his future in a breakout rookie season in 2018 when he started 13 games and threw 27 touchdowns and 14 interceptions with 3,725 passing yards.

Following a sophomore slump in 2019, Mayfield put together his best season when he completed 62.8 percent of his passes for 3,563 yards, 26 touchdowns and only eight interceptions, leading the Browns to an 11-5 regular-season record, a wild-card spot and the team's first playoff win since 1994.

But the 2021 season was rocky from the start. He injured his left shoulder in the second week of the season, but continued to play through the ailment throughout the campaign despite it clearly hampering his performance.

MORE: Why Browns are paying most of QB's 2022 salary after trade

Midway through the campaign, wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. forced his way out of Cleveland, beginning with an Instagram post from his father of Mayfield missing throws to his son.

Mayfield struggled throughout the season and finished with 3,010 passing yards, 17 touchdowns and 13 interceptions as the Browns finished 8-9 and missed the playoffs.

After the season, the Browns began to explore other quarterback options, though maintained publicly that Mayfield was likely to be the starter in his fifth and final year under contract with Cleveland. After a report emerged the Browns wanted an "adult" at quarterback, it became more clear the team was likely not going to see him play another snap.

When the Browns traded for Deshaun Watson, who at the time faced more than 20 accusations of sexual assault and misconduct, Mayfield officially requested a trade, and later said he felt disrespected by the team.

Now, after eating more than $10 million of his salary, the Browns were able to trade Mayfield to the Panthers, after he agreed to give up $3 million to play for the team. The team and player collectively absorbing more than $13 million for him to play in a different city is about as good a sign as any that neither Cleveland nor Mayfield wanted anything more to do with one another in the end.

It's worth mentioning that while calling Mayfield's character into question isn't a new venture, the timing post-trade cannot be overlooked. 

"As the season went on, Stefanski continued to lose trust in Mayfield, Lloyd reported. Mayfield was no longer feeling confident in himself, and during the Week 17 clash against the Steelers when he was sacked nine times, he questioned why rookie offensive tackle James Hudson wasn't receiving more support against T.J. Watt. "

Stephanski lost a lot of confidence from fans over this one - and other stupid crap. When a star player like Garrett lambasts the defense for not making adjustments - Stephanski looked like he should only be an assistant coach. Throwing Anthony Schwartz out there well before he was ready, led to Baker getting injured on a tackle that was an int because Schwartz made a mistake.

T. J. Watt was incredulous that the Browns simply didn't try to stop him from getting to Baker. Just stupid. Stephanski will show he hasn't learned much of anything since he was with the Vikings - the browns simply need a new, non slimy owner and a new head coach. and a new, DRAFTED qb.

Deja vu all over again.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, Zombo said:

160 more starts.

Z

It's a bold prediction, but I've been waiting for one of the Baker guys to put it on proverbial paper that Baker has a good ten more years of starting ahead of him. He just turned 27, and if he's the franchise QB some on here think he is, 160 more starts is not a ridiculous prediction. 

I see some are already starting the "well, see, Carolina isn't that great a situation for him, so if he isn't great there, it isn't his fault..." narrative. 

3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

progressive baker evicted.jpg

Baker being evicted and Watson moving in... Baker's like, "Good Luck... there's some weird stuff happening in there. Some little Brownie Elves hiding in the stands... Looking around all suspicious... a foot of snow on the ground...

Watson can't play in Cleveland like he did in Texas. It's a different...it's different here. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

Baker being evicted and Watson moving in... Baker's like, "Good Luck... there's some weird stuff happening in there. Some little Brownie Elves hiding in the stands... Looking around all suspicious... a foot of snow on the ground...

Watson can't play in Cleveland like he did in Texas. It's a different...it's different here. 

That might be a legitimate concern.

Watson played in a bad weather game here in Cleveland in 2020, and to me didn't look comfortable. 

what a poorly written story.

how many teammates, eh? 1? two?

says who? oh yeah, te from ...Texas Tech. No bias there, lol.

oh, yeah, some guy. lol.

A lot of players need to grow up a bit.

We'll see how it goes - especially on Sept 11.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

what a poorly written story.

how many teammates, eh? 1? two?

says who? oh yeah, te from ...Texas Tech. No bias there, lol.

oh, yeah, some guy. lol.

A lot of players need to grow up a bit.

We'll see how it goes - especially on Sept 11.

What do the older gentlemen you pick up at the doctor offices and check-out lines have to say about this? 

• Haha 1