THE BROWNS BOARD

Baker to Carolina

ATOM

On 7/8/2022 at 7:10 AM, Canton Dawg said:

Physically tough…mentally weak

DW is so mentally weak that he had a NFL MVP season on a team with a losing record.  2020 Texans redefined train wreck and stupid roster mgmt outside of DW's single-minded focus. [That Texans self-dismantle does have to be one of the top 15 wastes of a good roster in NFL history.]

The only time "focused" is in the same sentence as Baker is when it's right after the word "Not."

Here is the bottom line of baker.

if he was a true franchise QB, we wouldn't have replaced him

If we made a mistake in that assessment, we would have had leverage, there would have been at least 6-8 teams lined up seeking his services.  Teams wouldn't have been waiting for his release.

Nobody wanted the guy at any kind of significant cost.

• Upvote 1

This story does very little to support its own claim. I'd like to hear some actual testimony.

So how is that we are just now learning that BM was immature and a locker-room cancer? The story in the Athletic was written by a local homie, possibly intended to make fans feel better about acquiring Watson.

Gotta suppress the increasing regret somehow.

NFL fans on former Browns QB Baker Mayfield and current Browns QB Deshaun Watson (sportskeeda.com)

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ballpeen said:

If we made a mistake in that assessment, we would have had leverage, there would have been at least 6-8 teams lined up seeking his services.  Teams wouldn't have been waiting for his release

eh....injury. Playing while injured. Surgery.

Meanwhile, the browns dumped Landry, who wanted to stay with the Browns - and drafted wr, and signed a star deep threat, Cooper.

Nov 4, 2021Doug Dieken explains the issues with the Browns offense including protection, getting open, etc… How Baker's effort of cutting down his turnovers has affected his passing? How to defend Bengals' offense. ... Doug Dieken: Browns are out of sync; offense has underachieved and defense has been inconsistent Listen to the podcast below

Ah yes, the part of the ugly breakup where the team that got a 5th for their former first overall pick starts "leaking" stories to the press about the player being a "diva" and "hard to work with".

This story has only played out hundreds of times in sports...

Probably better that everyone just moves on

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

3 hours ago, FY56 said:

This story does very little to support its own claim. I'd like to hear some actual testimony.

So how is that we are just now learning that BM was immature and a locker-room cancer? The story in the Athletic was written by a local homie, possibly intended to make fans feel better about acquiring Watson.

Gotta suppress the increasing regret somehow.

NFL fans on former Browns QB Baker Mayfield and current Browns QB Deshaun Watson (sportskeeda.com)    <--- so who is sportskeeda .com ?  :huh:

OK this main story line  "sounds " like it could be at least partly believable or is it a headline looking for a story  ? 

Report: Baker Mayfield Viewed As ‘Childish And Immature’ By Teammates

190d98af7ca64d54372265ccfe5a7b34?s=50&d=By Robert Marvi July 8, 2022

●---->  Next question who is Robert Marvi ?   Well he's been an avid NFL and NBA fan since he's been a little kid.  ●--->  WOW, so have many of us (maybe minus the NBA part).   

About Robert Marvi...from the article. 

Robert is a Los Angeles-area native and has been an avid NFL and NBA fan since he was a little kid. He feels strongly that pro sports aren't just a form of entertainment, but also a great way to learn life lessons and find inspiration.  That's it ?

●---->   Well just because it's a Saturday morning I did a little more checking.   Google Robert Marvi (got nothing) add LA Sports (almost nothing more)

Well from Robert Marvi himself on LinkedIn (don't laugh, yet)

About.....(OK this is our BROWNS,  Mayfield, etc. author).....

Everyone needs some type of copy written for their website - whether it's copywriting, articles, a blog or something in between. If that sounds like you, I'm your guy. My areas of expertise include writing product copy, sports, politics and current events. My work has been used on prominent websites such as Amazon, Movoto and Staples. As someone who has his fingers on the pulse beat of America, I can convey what you need written in a way that not only educates and informs your clients in a light and authoritative way, but also speaks to them and invokes emotion.

Through getting my degree in sociology and simply observing and studying successful people and leaders in all walks of life, I've found that bringing people value and empowering people to do better is the best way to make a living and have balance. Because no one in this world is self-made, yet only a few successful people are humble and strong enough to admit it.

Putting people ahead of profits is something I strongly believe in. When businesses and entrepreneurs do that, the profits flow naturally.  EOM.

●---->  Ok, next question is he writing our of mom's basement or his dorm room ?     Sounds like a resume for his first job.

Ok now laugh.   

• Upvote 2

https://youtu.be/8dulBQocRmU

As far as the obj stefanski Mayfield Devil's Triangle: as much as I love Mayfield I would absolutely cringe whenever he overthrew or under through a receiver. If the ball bounced off someone's hands then I blame them. But unless Mayfield is calling his own plays why then would he be responsible for obj being over on the other side of the field and open? I would blame whoever called that play. On the other hand if the play is meant to go to obj and Baker missed him then I would blame mayfield. Doesn't that make sense?

But no doubt any coach any leader is going to be pissed off if somebody calls him out in front of the rest of the team. And that can often bring repercussions to the guy calling him out. I don't call management out at the bars I play at to ownership because that would probably come back to bite me in the ass.

WSS

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mature says the guy with 66 possible sexual encounters... LOL... You can't make this stuff up... Or can you...

50 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

True !

The Panthers QB carousel took another turn as they acquired the disgruntled Baker Mayfield from the Browns a few weeks before training camp. And, unlike last year's attempt to turn Darnold into a starting-caliber quarterback, you don't really need to talk yourself into Mayfield being an upgrade: All he has to do is play like he has his entire career and he's almost certainly a significant upgrade over what the Panthers have had the past few years. Mayfield may not be a franchise QB, but he should be good enough  to elevate this offense......

Baker should do a good job for Carolina....maybe even better year 1.   We'll see.

12 minutes ago, nickers said:

Mature says the guy with 66 possible sexual encounters... LOL... You can't make this stuff up... Or can you...

Oh yeah you could make this stuff up.....and most people would laugh at it.   Unfortunately now it's Cleveland BROWNS  lore, we're stuck with it. 

I think he'll go on to have a solid career once he gets settled... With our luck... Watson will magically turn to crap... It would be... So Cleveland... LOL...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Ah yes, the part of the ugly breakup where the team that got a 5th for their former first overall pick starts "leaking" stories to the press about the player being a "diva" and "hard to work with".

This story has only played out hundreds of times in sports...

Probably better that everyone just moves on

These stories have been leaking for well before Mayfield was traded. 

4 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

Panthers staff greatest chance of being fired of any NFL team

Back-to-back 5-win seasons will do that.

Which will mean less of a chance Mayfield becomes the etched in stone as starter for the panthers. You know the drill flush out the front office the new GM will want his guys. 

WSS 

36 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Which will mean less of a chance Mayfield becomes the etched in stone as starter for the panthers. You know the drill flush out the front office the new GM will want his guys. 

WSS 

I think that will be the Mayfield year 1 story.  A little bit of that will be on the Game 1 performance. 

BRM had a good chance of starting all 17 games....health issues aside..... IF   he comes out of training camp as the #1 guy  NO   questions asked. 

Part of the 2022 quarterback spotlight should be on Carolina all week, month, season long.

Adios and good luck Baker  -but- 

GO BROWNS,  come out ready to run, run, pass and    W-I-N !

• Upvote 1

On 7/7/2022 at 3:17 AM, PoeticG said:

Baker will be just like Drew Breezy. He will win at least 3 Superbowls. It won't be for us though... maybe his third will be, eh; I can dream. 

Like Saquon Barkley will have 20,000 career rushing yards before he retires?... 

On 7/6/2022 at 7:11 PM, Dutch Oven said:

So how many more career starts do you see in Baker? 

59 so far. 

I'm not in the prediction business. But somewhere between Colt McCoy's 33 and Andy Dalton's 148.   :)   I think Z was being facetious.  

Obviously, there were more than just OBJ trying to get away from Baker.  But, again, in hindsight, we knew when he wasn't offered a new contract.

4 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Oh yeah you could make this stuff up.....and most people would laugh at it.   Unfortunately now it's Cleveland BROWNS  lore, we're stuck with it. 

Cleveland Browns lore can be made into a novel. 

It feels as though not a year post 1999 has gone by without this franchise producing some sort of drama.

And if Baker lights it up in Carolina it will be par for the course.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, FY56 said:

Cleveland Browns lore can be made into a novel. 

It feels as though not a year post 1999 has gone by without this franchise producing some sort of drama.

And if Baker lights it up in Carolina it will be par for the course.

i hope he does  - starting w/ the opener

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

https://youtu.be/8dulBQocRmU

As far as the obj stefanski Mayfield Devil's Triangle: as much as I love Mayfield I would absolutely cringe whenever he overthrew or under through a receiver. If the ball bounced off someone's hands then I blame them. But unless Mayfield is calling his own plays why then would he be responsible for obj being over on the other side of the field and open? I would blame whoever called that play. On the other hand if the play is meant to go to obj and Baker missed him then I would blame mayfield. Doesn't that make sense?

But no doubt any coach any leader is going to be pissed off if somebody calls him out in front of the rest of the team. And that can often bring repercussions to the guy calling him out. I don't call management out at the bars I play at to ownership because that would probably come back to bite me in the ass.

WSS

Wait am I reading this correctly…the play caller is responsible for a WR being on the other side of the field  and being open.  And this should reflect negatively on the play caller if the QB doesn’t see this? Coaches don’t call a play telling the QB to hit the curl route and ignore the backside skinny post. 

56 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Wait am I reading this correctly…the play caller is responsible for a WR being on the other side of the field  and being open.  And this should reflect negatively on the play caller if the QB doesn’t see this? Coaches don’t call a play telling the QB to hit the curl route and ignore the backside skinny post. 

I only played on the offensive line and that was only for part of the season in the 7th grade and I sucked. So I'm not going to brag about my football expertise but I'd have to think the plays are set up more specifically than hang on to the ball till you see somebody get open somewhere.

Still then why weren't there a lot more plays designed to go right to Beckham?

Also if it's a timing pattern the ball should be in the air before Beckham got to the spot right?

Maybe not.

WSS

By the way as long as we're on the subject of Beckham and let's include Landry both of those guys complained of injuries all season long. If that's the case how come they were on the field?

6 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Coaches don’t call a play telling the QB to hit the curl route and ignore the backside skinny post. 

Well, to a degree they do.  The play could be designed for the ball to go to the other side of the field.  By the time your hot reads get you all the way to the other side of the field the pocket is breaking down.  OBJ's father tweeted his video,  but I was bummed at how Baker would ignore Njoku crossing over the middle, OPEN, and would instead turn to someone deeper downfield and try to squeeze it in there...to no avail.  

15 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan1 said:

Mayfield is with Carolina now.  We play them first regular season game.  And some so called 'Browns fans' are hoping he beats us.

Think of it as wanting to teach the one you love a lesson for being naughty.

• Upvote 1