THE BROWNS BOARD

Jim Schwartz new DC

Zombo

RE: that article, yep- holes at every position. We know Clowney isn't coming back (no great loss there). Interior DL, upgrades at LB, and a extra body or two in the defensive backfield.  

If you've been watching the playoff games, it's pretty obvious why we posted another losing season and are AFC North cellar dwellers yet again. :(

3 minutes ago, hoorta said:

RE: that article, yep- holes at every position. We know Clowney isn't coming back (no great loss there). Interior DL, upgrades at LB, and a extra body or two in the defensive backfield.  

If you've been watching the playoff games, it's pretty obvious why we posted another losing season and are AFC North cellar dwellers yet again. :(

I watched the Bucs get spanked by the Cowboys and Tom Brady throw like 50 times. Don't know why Stefanski's offense is so pass heavy with Watson and he has Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt. Make it easy for the defense when they know you're straight passing.

49 minutes ago, hoorta said:

If you're happy and you know it - read above.    If you're happy and you know it - read above.  If you're - aw never mind.  Thanks a lot Larry!!!!

8 minutes ago, Flugel said:

If you're happy and you know it - read above.    If you're happy and you know it - read above.  If you're - aw never mind.  Thanks a lot Larry!!!!

Just stating the obvious Tom... :) 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bob806 said:

I'm actually surprised a veteran coach agreed to come here, that's GOOD news.

I think people forget, Schwartz got to work with Javon Kearse when he took over in Tennessee.   So I've little doubt he see's having that similar mold player to work with in Myles. It makes life a lot easier and the position a lot more enticing to have a premium pass rusher already on roster.   

Something else I've noticed.

With the Titans.

- Henry Ford, 1st round pick

- Kevin Carter.   1st round pick and brought in during Schwartz' first full off-season as DC in TEN.  Made the Pro bowl that 2002 season. 

- Albert Haynesworth.  Top 15 pick and first draft pick under Schwartz as TEN full time (full off-season) DC.

- Randy Starks. 3rd round pick.

- Jason Jones. 2nd round pick

- William Hayes - 4th round, 101st overall

6 players, (Ok 5, but the last one was right on the cusp) drafted along the Dline in the top 100 picks during Schwartz' time with the Titans.   2 of those picks high 1st rounders, 4 of them on the IDL.  A 5th depending on how you view Jason Jones' playing time and spots lining up.  

With the Lions

- Ndamukong Suh.   2nd overall pick as Schwartz first full off-season as HC of the lions. 

- Nick Fairley.  13th overall pick.

- Ezekiel Ansah 5th overall pick.

That's 3 picks along the defensive line, 2 of them on the IDL, within 4 years. 

With the bills.

No draft picks.  But had arguably the best defensive front in all of football.

- Marcel Dareus

- Kyle Williams

- Mario Williams

- Jerry Hughes

finished 4th overall in total defense and top 5 in 6 other categories.

With the Eagles

Derek Barnett.  14th overall pick.   That was his 2nd season, and first full off-season (2017) with Philly.

I figured there would be more, but then I realize what the Eagles already HAD on roster.

- Vinny Curry (2nd round)

- Brandon Graham  (13th overall)

- Timmy Jernigan (2nd round)

- Fletcher Cox (12th overall)

This tells me a couple things.

- This man places GREAT emphasis on his defensive fronts.   

- In his time as coach with a full off-season, he has invested a 1st round pick along the Dline at every stop.   Lone exception being his 1 year with the Bills.  With several of those picks in his first two major stints being DT.

- In his time since being a HC, he has picked DC jobs that have a Pro bowl player at, or under the age of 27,  specifically at IDL with both Buffalo and Philly. 

His personnel and scheme demands dictates top 100 resources, more commonly top 50 draft resources, being invested into his defensive fronts.   Unfortunately this has been the antithesis to how our current, a even past front offices, have operated with their draft picks.  As the Browns have ONE lone draft pick along the IDL in 5 seasons.  5 seasons with a lone pick, including lacking a pro-bowl or even fringe probowl player at the position.

The only way Schwartz would have agreed to take this Browns job is if the front office has guaranteed he can mold the defense, which includes having a heavy hand in the draft process, to his bidding.    Either that or I very much believe he wouldn't have taken this job without those assurances.  And yes, I'm including having Myles' on this roster when I project that sort of evaluation.     Going to be a VERY interesting pairing of philosophy between Berry and Schwartz that we'll be getting insights to with pre-draft smoke soon enough.   

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 5

25 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

I think people forget, Schwartz got to work with Javon Kearse when he took over in Tennessee.   So I've little doubt he see's having that similar mold player to work with in Myles. It makes life a lot easier and the position a lot more enticing to have a premium pass rusher already on roster.   

Something else I've noticed.

With the Titans.

- Henry Ford, 1st round pick

- Kevin Carter.   1st round pick and brought in during Schwartz' first full off-season as DC in TEN.  Made the Pro bowl that 2002 season. 

- Albert Haynesworth.  Top 15 pick and first draft pick under Schwartz as TEN full time (full off-season) DC.

- Randy Starks. 3rd round pick.

- Jason Jones. 2nd round pick

- William Hayes - 4th round, 101st overall

6 players, (Ok 5, but the last one was right on the cusp) drafted along the Dline in the top 100 picks during Schwartz' time with the Titans.   2 of those picks high 1st rounders, 4 of them on the IDL.  A 5th depending on how you view Jason Jones' playing time and spots lining up.  

With the Lions

- Ndamukong Suh.   2nd overall pick as Schwartz first full off-season as HC of the lions. 

- Nick Fairley.  13th overall pick.

- Ezekiel Ansah 5th overall pick.

That's 3 picks along the defensive line, 2 of them on the IDL, within 4 years. 

With the bills.

No draft picks.  But had arguably the best defensive front in all of football.

- Marcel Dareus

- Kyle Williams

- Mario Williams

- Jerry Hughes

finished 4th overall in total defense and top 5 in 6 other categories.

With the Eagles

Derek Barnett.  14th overall pick.   That was his 2nd season, and first full off-season (2017) with Philly.

I figured there would be more, but then I realize what the Eagles already HAD on roster.

- Vinny Curry (2nd round)

- Brandon Graham  (13th overall)

- Timmy Jernigan (2nd round)

- Fletcher Cox (12th overall)

This tells me a couple things.

- In his time as coach with a full off-season, he has invested a 1st round pick along the Dline at every stop.   Lone exception being his 1 year with the Bills.  With several of those picks in his first two major stints being DT.

- In his time since being a HC, he has picked DC jobs that have a Pro bowl player at, or under the age of 27,  specifically at IDL with both Buffalo and Philly. 

His personnel and scheme demands dictates top 100 resources, more commonly top 50 draft resources, being invested into his defensive fronts.   Unfortunately this has been the antithesis to how our current, a even past front offices, have operated with their draft picks.  As the Browns have ONE lone draft pick along the IDL in 5 seasons.  5 seasons with a lone pick, including lacking a pro-bowl or even fringe probowl player at the position.

The only way Schwartz would have agreed to take this Browns job is if the front office has guaranteed he can mold the defense, which includes having a heavy hand in the draft process, to his bidding.    Either that or I very much believe he wouldn't have taken this job without those assurances.  And yes, I'm including having Myles' on this roster when I project that sort of evaluation.     Going to be a VERY interesting pairing of philosophy between Berry and Schwartz that we'll be getting insights to with pre-draft smoke soon enough.   

Great research there, thanks.

As aggravating as this team is/has been, I really don't think they're too far away from being a solid contender. Schwartz should help get 'em closer.

2 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

As Joe Bannon famously said, The NFL is Pass and Rush the Passer!

This is the guy I hoped they would get.  Hopefully he's a good choice.

As has been said, being a veteran coach, he was probably given some promise of supplying him with the players that he needs.......else I ain't commin'.   

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Yeah, can we say having two great outside pass rushers (Myles and Clowney) doesn't do much good if teams can gash you up the middle for 5 yards on every snap. Need I mention Browns LB play was subpar on top of that?   

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Great write up here on what to expect…

https://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/eagle-eye-jim-schwartz-s-attack-defense-16818150

Myles is going to do really well in his scheme.  And Even with cap restrictions…I think we will attract a good free agent veteran IDL under Schwartz.  

According the article linked to in the tweet below, we can have decent space to work with. Just don't like all the decisions to get there. Would prefer to sign Brisset as long term back-up and QB sneak option, if he's up for that. Pocic and Deion Jones seem valuable pieces to keep as well, although the former may pose a challenge as UFA. Iffy on the proposed re-signing of Taven Bryan. Even though we need depth in addition to quality on our D-line, he seems to be sorely lacking the latter.

Hope @tiamat63 is right about Schwartz getting guarantees about his involvement and prioritization in the draft. Sounds plausible at least. 

17 hours ago, hoorta said:

Yeah, can we say having two great outside pass rushers (Myles and Clowney) doesn't do much good if teams can gash you up the middle for 5 yards on every snap. Need I mention Browns LB play was subpar on top of that?   

As long as you don't remind us 4 of the LBers ended up on IR because of the weak IDL...

Edited by Flugel
  • Upvote 1

If these can't get ya excited for a JS off-season hire?

Well done MKC.. https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2023/01/browns-hire-jim-schwartz-as-their-defensive-coordinator.html

Careful what ya ask for.. https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2023/01/jim-schwartz-seems-to-fit-the-bill-for-what-browns-players-said-they-need-at-defensive-coordinator.html 

Best I've felt going into a off-season in years...  images.jpg.937db949225f7594cd12ef107d85ed12.jpg    Go Browns !

12 hours ago, hoorta said:

45 minutes ago, Flugel said:

As long as you don't remind of 4 of the LBers ended up on IR because the weak IDL...

I don't think I was too intoxicated lol, but the backup LBs seemed to do a decent job the last month or so. Maybe some of that was the offenses they played.

But yes, I'm all for upgrades on the IDL & LB core. Doubt it can all happen all at once, so hopefully Schwarz can scheme stuff up.

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

For a man whose defenses are consistently bottom 1/3 in blitz rate, seeing excitement from posters who wanted Joe Woods to blitz more as an actual defensive solution is interesting.

Well then you are too busy commenting and taking old posts out of context.

My major complaint with Woods.  He stuck with four man pressure packages for the entire game.  If that ain’t working you gotta bring an extra man or men.  I’ll complain about Schwartz if the adjustments aren’t  happening too. 

5 hours ago, Bob806 said:

I don't think I was too intoxicated lol, but the backup LBs seemed to do a decent job the last month or so. Maybe some of that was the offenses they played.

But yes, I'm all for upgrades on the IDL & LB core. Doubt it can all happen all at once, so hopefully Schwarz can scheme stuff up.

😆 It's kind of like back in college Bob.  Is that girl:  a) Happy hour hot?;  b) 6-12 pack love?;  c) 18-24 beers adorable?; or d) just alcohol-free hot?

To be honest, I thought our back-up LBers played pretty good under the circumstances.  Schwartz is just what the doctor ordered....

Edited by Flugel
  • Haha 3

It's Official...

Welcome Back Coach Jim Schwartz

edit--something to watch.. Position Coaches connected to JS.. 

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/LongFormArticle/cleveland-browns-jim-schwartz-coaching-names-203195540/#203195540_1

• Thanks 4

Enjoyed listening to his presser.  

Get him some DLinemen so he can pressure the QB like he wants to!  He understands that you have to pressure the QB.  And if you can do it with your 4 down linemen then you can blitz on YOUR terms.  (I loved that line)

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Orion said:

Enjoyed listening to his presser.  

Get him some DLinemen so he can pressure the QB like he wants to!  He understands that you have to pressure the QB.  And if you can do it with your 4 down linemen then you can blitz on YOUR terms.  (I loved that line)

That was music to my ears... Someone that understands the your Dline is more than just a river barge... we rid ourselves a quitter in Clowney in the process.. fine by me... If Deshaun looks no better by game 6-7... Heads gotta roll....

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, D Bone said:

Very old school,

...but maybe that's how you play defense.  Play fast because you can think fast.  Rather than having to process a plethora of options.  Pressure the QB.  He said that you can't depend on coverage.  It's too hard to do, with all the rules.  Ya can't put your hands on them, and the receivers are freakish.  LOL   But that's it.  You can't let the QB stand back there...somebody's gonna get open.  It's the reason the Patriots did not have the perfect season.  The Giants were able to rush 4 guys and cover juuust long enough for those 4 guys to pressure Brady.  That's what Schwartz needs is 4 good DLinemen.   Of course, Woods would've liked to have that too I'm sure.

• Upvote 1