THE BROWNS BOARD

~  AND  ~   🏈   only  204 days  and now 92 ? 57 ? 32 ? 19 ? YES really ! And still counting...  🏈   ....​​​​​​​🔥

syd

On 6/18/2023 at 12:01 PM, mjp28 said:

And coming up  next  at #81 this Monday during the first ever Monday Night Football game in 1970.  The 1969 Super Bowl III winner New York Jets and Joe Namath come into Cleveland. 

IUCDXPS7ZFDKDE7XUKLXW5EHZI.jpg

Cleveland Browns defensive ends Jack Gregory (81) and Ron Snidow (88) blast through the New York Jets protection to pressure quarterback Joe Namath during a Monday Night Football game in 1970.AP.  

Gregory was a Pro Bowler in 1969 and started every game from 1969-71. But his biggest accomplishment is his place in the Browns record book. Although sacks weren’t an official NFL stat until 1982, Gregory’s 14 sacks in 1970 are recognized by the Browns as the second-most in a single season, behind Bill Glass’ 14.5 in 1965. (Reggie Camp also had 14 sacks, in 1984).

★  And as a reminder of our   ▪︎  famous Cleveland BROWNS #81  ▪︎    chasing down the    ○  famous  HOF member  ○  New York  Jets  #12 quarterback  way back then.  Oh the BROWNS beat Joe Namath and the Super Bowl  III Jets 31-21  on September 21, 1970.     :D

A 2023 Hall of Fame  ● NY Jets  versus the Cleveland BROWNS  ●  Game this August 3rd, 2023 preview.   Get your tickets now.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2023 at 1:14 PM, Dutch Oven said:

Holy poop on a stick, this photo is from the Browns/Saints game in  1984 . It was the first game under Shottenheimer, and my first Browns game I saw in person. I would have been 8. 

💕  Just looking back on your 8 year old memories on your first ever trip to the trip to the GIGANTIC CLEVELAND MUNICIPAL STADIUM  ..... and it was GIGANTIC for an 8 year old..... (oh BTW i saw my 1st ever Cleveland Indians game at 8 y/o in 1959,  NO KIDDING,  it was GIGANTIC ! )  .......  to finish your trip down memory lane.......  💕....... 

I can see why you liked #82  OZZIE NEWSOME  he scored all of the CLE TDs.

Scoring Summary

2nd Quarter NO Cle
NO 5:53 Hokie Gajan 2 pass from Richard Todd (Morten Andersen Kick) 7 0
★ Cle 11:47 Ozzie Newsome 5 pass from Paul McDonald (Matt Bahr Kick) 7 7
NO 15:00 FG Morten Andersen 26 10 7
3rd Quarter NO Cle
★ Cle 8:38 Ozzie Newsome 6 pass from Paul McDonald (Matt Bahr Kick) 10 14
4th Quarter NO Cle
NO 11:55 FG Morten Andersen 21 13 14
NO 15:00 FG Morten Andersen 53 16 14

Todd led the way for the Saints, completing 21-of-27 passes for 294 yards with one touchdown, while Gajan rushed for 52 yards on seven carries, and Tyrone Young accumulated 101 receiving yards on four catches.

In a losing cause for the Browns, McDonald threw for 193 yards, while Boyce Green rushed for 74 yards on 23 carries.

New Orleans went on to finish  1984 with a 7-9 record, while Cleveland went 5-11.

.....  edit add .....Oh and the game  .....    The Saints, with under 2:00 to go, got the football, and drove down to the Cleveland 35-yard line, setting up Andersen for a long 53-yard field goal attempt, which he nailed as time expired, his third field goal of the afternoon, giving them a dramatic 16-14 road victory.Sep 9, 2014.     * and I was 19 days from  34th birthday  junior.    :lol:   **  I do remember blowing my cigar smoke down on some 8 +/- year old puny kid during that game though .   :lol:

Edited by mjp28
Amazing memories at 8 y/o
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just remember how enormous Cleveland Stadium looked, and in the early 80s, how absolutely scary Cleveland was. I vividly remember all the empty old factories that lined 77 going up to downtown, all long gone now. Cleveland is a far nicer place to visit now than it was when I was a kid, for sure. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

We are now five time Pro-Bowler Bob Gain days from the start of the 2023 Browns season. Gain was a top-notch Defensive Tackle for the Browns for 12 seasons (1952, 1954-64). With the Browns, he won three NFL Championships. 

bob gain.jpeg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, syd said:

thank you both for keeping it going. i am still going to be gone for awhile,so thank you

It's been fun looking up players for the number of days left... Kind of a trip down memory lane. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, syd said:

thank you both for keeping it going. i am still going to be gone for awhile,so thank you

I had a Tuesday doctor's appointment and am still not feeling quite 100% better yet  ..... so Dutch is stepping up next.  I should be better by Friday. (day-to-day status ...... but aren't we all lol)

GO BROWNS  &  GO GUARDIANS  !

4 hours ago, mjp28 said:

I had a Tuesday doctor's appointment and am still not feeling quite 100% better yet  ..... so Dutch is stepping up next.  I should be better by Friday. (day-to-day status ...... but aren't we all lol)

I'll gladly take over your moderator duties for the time being.

• Haha 1

We are now Carl "Big Daddy" Hairston days away from the start of the 2023 Browns season. Hairston came from the Philadelphia Eagles in 1984 at the ripe age of 32, and still was able to play six season from the Browns. Of his 96 career sacks, 37.5 came from '84-89 with the Browns. 

carl hairston.jpeg

• Like 1

★  And coming up  next  is one of the greatest OL ever who chose to wear the number 77 for the Cleveland BROWNS. 

▪︎  After that there are a few all time great players who should    "share"     the  number  76.   What do you think ?

▪︎~▪︎~▪︎~▪︎~▪︎~▪︎~▪︎~>     🏈     <~▪︎~▪︎~▪︎~▪︎~▪︎~▪︎~▪︎

77. DICK SCHAFRATH, LT     Years: 1960-71.

Others: Lyle Alzado, DL (1979-81); Ross Verba, OL (2001-04); Kevin Shaffer, OL (2006-08); John Greco, OL (2011-16).

Many argue that Schafrath should be in the Hall of Fame. A second-round pick in 1959, he wore No. 80 for one season before switching to 77 and becoming a six-time Pro Bowler and four-time first-team All-Pro.

He started 158 of 164 games after his rookie year, connecting Groza’s tenure at left tackle to Doug Dieken as one of three players to regularly play the position from 1946 to 1984.

SEE BELOW  |  <---  the "old time"  program picture of #77 Dick Schafrath.

SQZVTA22QVDWBNG7Y55EHKIFH4.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 6/22/2023 at 9:59 AM, mjp28 said:

i  hope you are well and well Elly hit's for the cycle first time since another 44 named eric davis did it for the reds in 89

• Upvote 1

And we are now Lou "The Toe" Groza days away from the start of the 2023 Browns season. Groza, the son of a Romanian father and Hungarian mother, grew up on the Ohio River in Martin's Ferry, Ohio. He played at Ohio State until he joined the Army, and served in the Pacific Theater, including one of the most brutal battles of WWII - Okinawa. Groza would play with the Browns from 1946-67, sitting out the 1960 season. From '46-59, he also played Left Tackle while handling the place-kicking duties. (I know there's another famous #76 for the Browns, but figured we can use him for his other jersey number ......

..... *edit add .... that would be the other #76/ #36 jersey in  1952-1953 and 10 total games started,  OK by me.)

lou groza.jpeg

Edited by mjp28
  • Thanks 2

• mjp28 pinned this topic

And we are now Joel Bitonio days away from the start of the 2023 Cleveland Browns season, you crazy picklefuckers. Bitonio was a 2nd round pick in the infamous 2014 Browns draft, and as bad as the two first rounders were, Bitonio has quietly had a sterling NFL career. A five time Pro-Bowler, he's possibly in the mix for a bust in Canton sometime in the future 

joel bitonio.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

We are now Paul Farren days away from the start of the 2023 Cleveland Browns season. Farren was a 1983 twelfth round pick from the football powerhouse that was Boston University (not to be confused with Boston College), he would take over the Left Tackle spot when Doug Dieken retired, and was the LT during the entirety of Browns late 80s playoff run. 

paul farren.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Well look here, boys and girls, we are now Soon-To-Be Hall of Famer Joe Thomas days away from the start of the 2023 Cleveland Browns season. Thomas was the 3rd overall pick of the 2007 NFL Draft out of Wisconsin, and the best Browns player to date in the new Browns era. He was named to the Pro Bowl ten times, and will be inducted into Canton in his first year of eligibility. 

joe thomas.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Well tuck my junk and call me an ugly woman, we are Jerry Sherk amount of days left until the start of the 2023 Cleveland Browns season! Sherk was a second round pick in 1970 out of Oklahoma State for the Browns, and would go to the Pro-Bowl four years in a row from 1973-76. He primarily played as an interior Defensive Lineman, yet still was able to rack up 70.5 career sacks. 

jerry sherk.jpeg

• Upvote 1

The steady march toward the start of the 2023 Cleveland Brown season continues, as we are now Walter Johnson amount of days left. Johnson was another very good Browns defensive tackle, a 1965 second round pick and a three time Pro-Bowler with 68 career sacks who played a good chunk of the 70s next to Jerry Sherk. After his football career ended, Johnson became a professional wrestler, who occasionally wrestled bears, because why not? 

walter johnson.jpeg

• Upvote 1

On 6/27/2023 at 7:53 PM, Dutch Oven said:

Well look here, boys and girls, we are now Soon-To-Be Hall of Famer Joe Thomas days away from the start of the 2023 Cleveland Browns season. Thomas was the 3rd overall pick of the 2007 NFL Draft out of Wisconsin, and the best Browns player to date in the new Browns era. He was named to the Pro Bowl ten times, and will be inducted into Canton in his first year of eligibility. 

joe thomas.jpeg

~  Well and after and a long hiatus of   NO  Cleveland BROWNS players  getting into the  NFL Hall of Fame here's a good one breaking  that  ceiling. 

And also having the  NFL HOF GAME  featuring the  NY JETS playing  our  Cleveland BROWNS  team as part of the  HOF Weekend  festivities,  a hometown advantage for our BROWNS  this year in Canton,  Ohio.   A nice  extra  home game to get ready for this 2023 season. 

SO  GO BROWNS !  and    "are you ready for some football ?"   I sure am !   

• Like 1

Summer is flying by, isn't it, because it is already Don Colo amount of days until the 2023 Cleveland Browns season. Colo was a stalwart defensive tackle for the Browns from 1953-1958, but it was a wild ride for him to ever get to succeed in the NFL. After serving in the navy in WWII, the southeastern Massachusetts native decided to attend Brown University, and despite never playing football in high school, walked on to the college team. He'd eventually get drafted by the Baltimore Colts in 1950, but they'd experience financial troubles and disband after his rookie season. The Colts players were picked in a lottery, and he was selected by the New York Yanks, who in return would disband after the 1951 season after suffering their own financial problems. Again, he'd be selected by another team, the upstart Dallas Texans, WHO WOULD DISBAND AFTER THE 1952 SEASON AFTER SUFFERING FINANCIAL PROBLEMS. (The NFL in the early 1950s didn't print money like the NFL does now). Three seasons in the NFL, three different teams that ceased to exist after Colo played for them. He then became a Baltimore Colt AGAIN (second version of the Colts in Baltimore and direct ancestor to the current Colts in Indianapolis) but was traded in a massive fifteen player trade before the season began, that included the Browns trading Don Shula to Baltimore. Colo now was a Cleveland Brown, and was the anchor for the Browns defensive line for the last six years of his career, named to the Pro-Bowl three times. He was named to the All-1950s Second Team by Pro Football Reference. 

don colo.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Summer is flying by, isn't it, because it is already Don Colo amount of days until the 2023 Cleveland Browns season. Colo was a stalwart defensive tackle for the Browns from 1953-1958, but it was a wild ride for him to ever get to succeed in the NFL. After serving in the navy in WWII, the southeastern Massachusetts native decided to attend Brown University, and despite never playing football in high school, walked on to the college team. He'd eventually get drafted by the Baltimore Colts in 1950, but they'd experience financial troubles and disband after his rookie season. The Colts players were picked in a lottery, and he was selected by the New York Yanks, who in return would disband after the 1951 season after suffering their own financial problems. Again, he'd be selected by another team, the upstart Dallas Texans, WHO WOULD DISBAND AFTER THE 1952 SEASON AFTER SUFFERING FINANCIAL PROBLEMS. (The NFL in the early 1950s didn't print money like the NFL does now). Three seasons in the NFL, three different teams that ceased to exist after Colo played for them. He then became a Baltimore Colt AGAIN (second version of the Colts in Baltimore and direct ancestor to the current Colts in Indianapolis) but was traded in a massive fifteen player trade before the season began, that included the Browns trading Don Shula to Baltimore. Colo now was a Cleveland Brown, and was the anchor for the Browns defensive line for the last six years of his career, named to the Pro-Bowl three times. He was named to the All-1950s Second Team by Pro Football Reference. 

don colo.jpg

Great job showing/reminding us of the blue collar heroes on the DL and OL that wore jersey #s in the 70s in various decades (and Bitonio most recently). 

While our OL did a great job for our running game last year - our opponents ran the ball so far down the esophagus of our IDL I had to call 911.  The 911 operator put Ghoolie on hold and transferred my call to Roto Rooter.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, mjp28 said:

~  We should  (★ will ★)   do this every year now !    syd will be our chairman with  Dutch and mjp as co-chairmen .   We will also take suggestions  from     ANY     of our TBB MEMBERS for ideas .... like the oldies and more current players. 

★ It's been fun so far. ★    Start again at 200  ( or so).     GO  BROWNS  !

Very enjoyable - THANKS you guys!

• Like 2

On 6/29/2023 at 9:48 PM, Dutch Oven said:

The steady march toward the start of the 2023 Cleveland Brown season continues, as we are now Walter Johnson amount of days left. Johnson was another very good Browns defensive tackle, a 1965 second round pick and a three time Pro-Bowler with 68 career sacks who played a good chunk of the 70s next to Jerry Sherk. After his football career ended, Johnson became a professional wrestler, who occasionally wrestled bears, because why not? 

walter johnson.jpeg

Awesome stuff! These back to back guys you treated us to, Sherk (#72) & Johnson (#71) were mentioned in my 1st visit to Cleveland for a game.  They dominated Pittsburgh's OL, inclusive of double teams that included Mike Webster. What kind of sick bastard wants to wrestle a bear? Anyway, here's a story I found about those 2 (and their DL) you might get a kick out of via the following cut and paste: 

Written by Greg Popelka

http://www.gravatar.com/avatar/d1ed42a4a42711e1e4365aa79f773c37.jpg?d=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.theclevelandfan.com%2Fplugins%2Fcontent%2Fgavatar%2Favatar.png&s=82&r=x

The Cleveland Browns of the late 1960s and early 1970s were solemnly important to a kid like me. They had recently been at the mountaintop of the NFL. The deep, serious voice of Gib Shanley injected an air of gravitas into the Browns radio broadcasts. And some of the players seemed bigger than life.

One of the pillars of the Cleveland Browns defense was big Walter Johnson. 

The Browns’ overall defense was okay… The defensive backs were solid; guys like Erich Barnes were giving way to younger studs like Thom Darden (and no, it wasn’t a requirement then that you had to insert an “H” into your first name to be noteworthy). The linebackers were smallish and while strength was not their strong suit, they were quick. The defensive line, however, was another story. #81 Jack Gregory. #72 Jerry Sherk. #71 Walter Johnson. #80 Joe Jones. Long-time Browns offensive tackle and announcer Doug Dieken is on record as saying this D line was maybe the best the Browns have ever had.

Joe Jones‘ nickame, “Turkey”, was famously given to him by Browns veterans in his second year with the team. Every November, the rookies would be given instructions to go pick up some free turkeys on their off-day. The directions were bogus, and there were no free turkeys. Joe Jones fell for it as a rookie. He also fell for it his second year.

Turkey Jones was a quick edge rusher, and authored the signature hit of the Browns-Steelers rivalry when he dumped quarterback Terry Bradshaw on his head at the bleachers end of the home stadium field.

Jack Gregory was the end on the right side, and had the ability to produce sacks as well. He had 14 of them in 1970. Prior to the 1973 season, he was the principal in a trade to the NY Giants for draft picks which netted WR Steve Holden and RB Greg Pruitt.

Jerry Sherk? An all-time Cleveland Brown. Not only was he the NFL Defensive Player of the Year in 1976, and a 4 time Pro Bowler, but he "gets it" when it comes to what the Browns mean to their fans. A separate essay will be needed to do justice to Jerry Sherk. Sherk continues to be a part of the fabric of Cleveland.

Walter Johnson followed long-timer Dick Modzelewski as left defensive tackle on the Browns. He was Jerry Sherk’s partner on the inside, and together they formed the top defensive tackle combination in the National Football League. The 6’4”, 265lb native Cincinnatian was tough and imposing yet quick off the ball; he was known to some as “Zoom.” He was also durable enough to string together 168 straight games played during the era of the 14 game season. Here’s some footage of Number 71 in action- begin viewing at the 6:20 point. (This game marked the first return of Paul Brown to Cleveland, and was controversial due to PB not shaking Cleveland coach Blanton Collier’s hand at midfield when it was over -regrettably, the YouTube footage only shows Collier walking off the field. Collier shrugged it off, and PB told the press that they’d greeted each other prior to the game.)http://tcf.danwismar.com/images/stories/Walter_Johnson_football_card.jpg

Walter Johnson was not one to back down from a fight on the field. According to Jerry Sherk, he even intimidated his own teammates. From Sherk, on www.brownsbacker.com:

“When I came (to) the Browns, Walter Johnson…was not only the guy I teamed up with at tackle, but he was the alpha male of the Browns. Guys were in awe of him, because of his strength--he could actually hurt people in practice and in the games. My first game was the first Monday Night Game ever. Each player got 4 free tickets, and I was only going to use 2. Walter knew it and asked if he could buy my other 2. I said yes and gave him the tickets. He didn't give me the money, and I was so intimidated by him that I never asked.

His strength was legendary on the team. There was a story going around that once Jim Brown called a team meeting, and he was chastising the team for their poor play. During the meeting he said, "And if you don't like what I'm saying I'll kick your ass, and I can kick anyone's ass on the team." Then he looked over at Walter and said in a lower voice, "Except maybe for you, Walter!"“ 

http://tcf.danwismar.com/images/stories/Walter_Johnson_Wrestling.jpgWalter Johnson also mixed it up in the professional wrestling ring. As early as 1968, local crowd favorite Johnny Powers began booking him as a celebrity draw in such venues as the Akron Armory, the Cleveland Arena and Cobo Arena, adjacent to Cobo Hall in Detroit. Johnson would wear his number 71 jersey to his wrestling matches. He sometimes outweighed his opponents by eighty pounds. He moved up the ranks, conquering such foes as the Masked Destroyer and the Love Brothers, moving up to such notables as The Sheik. Wrestlers remembered matches with Johnson as particularly painful. Slaps to the head and being launched into the ropes were a prelude to Johnson’s gentlest, yet most agonizing, final move: a bear hug. Powers later lamented Johnson’s clumsiness, but noted he was a good guy who didn’t cause trouble.

Walter Johnson died of a heart attack at age 56, in 1999- just days after Browns legend Marion Motley. He lived long enough to see Art Modell move the Browns out of Cleveland. "It's as if someone went into my personal biography and took out 11 years of my life and ripped it right out of my book," Johnson said to NBC's Dick Enberg.

No, they're still there, Mr. Johnson, sir.

Thank you for reading.

http://tcf.danwismar.com/images/stories/walter_johnson_vs_cowboys.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So I confirmed what I've suspected for a week or so, somewhere along the line we got ahead of ourselves. 

As of today, the Browns season is 70 days away. We'll pick this up tomorrow with 69 days to go. 

• Like 1

~  AND  the very   next   man up wearing the  #69  up is none other than  the rugged  6'4"  270 lb  Jim Kanicki. 

James Henry Kanicki (born December 17, 1941 .... just 10 days after Pearl Harbor and the USA's entry into  WWII ) is a former American football defensive tackle in the National Football League for the Cleveland Browns and New York Giants. He played college football at Michigan State University and was drafted in the second round of the 1963 NFL Draft. Kanicki was also selected in the seventh round of the 1963 AFL Draft by the Buffalo Bills.  

He also played on the 1964 and last Cleveland's last NFL Championship team.

His father worked for 50 years at a foundry in Saginaw, Michigan.

Kanicki was one of 12 children, including 10 brothers.

● OH MY !  Mother Kanicki would scramble  SIX  dozen eggs,  what a family !

▪︎  The 10 brothers all slept in one room.

▪︎  The family was so large that Kanick’s mother would scramble six dozen eggs for breakfast. ●

Kanicki attended Bay City Central High School, graduating in 1959.

In 1958, Kanicki helped Bay City Central High School win the Michigan state championship.

He was named first team All-State in 1958.

While many major colleges offered Kanicki a scholarship, he decided to stay close to home.

▪︎  And in another  note  ....   Jim Kanicki purchased the Arthur Louis Steel Company of Ashtabula, Ohio in 1985, and still maintains control of the business.

In 2012, the Cleveland Plain Dealer named Jim Kanicki one of the Cleveland Browns' 100 best all-time players.

*  I got to know Jim while I was also working in the steel industry, he was a very nice and a good man to do business with.  I wouldn't doubt one bit that came from his upbringing. 

--->   And  he was also known for the scariest football card picture in the game !   :lol:

----->  edit add 2  .... did you know that  big Jim Kanicki was the biggest player on the 1964 NFL CHAMPIONSHIP  team with one other player at  270 lbs ?   My what a generation or two makes.      Carry on.

s-l1200.webp

Edited by mjp28
270 lbs ? AND 10 boys, what a family !
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

So I confirmed what I've suspected for a week or so, somewhere along the line we got ahead of ourselves. 

As of today, the Browns season is 70 days away. We'll pick this up tomorrow with 69 days to go. 

Or mjp can just go ahead and post a day early...    

Sorry .....  old habits are just hard to break, sometimes  .....  :lol:

.....  and  the Cleveland GUARDIANS  8   Chicago Cubs  6  in 10 innings.     

Edited by mjp28
  • Haha 1

Hard to believe, but Training Camp will be starting soon, and we are only Robert Jackson days left until the start of the 2023 Cleveland Browns season. Jackson was an interesting story. The 6'2', 255lb offensive guard, who only missed two games in his eleven season career - all with the Browns (1975-1985) - started his college career at Duke as a QB! He kept filling out, eventually becoming a starting offensive tackle for the Blue Devils. Perhaps because of his strange route to the offensive line, he went undrafted in 1975, back when the NFL Draft was 17 rounds! The Browns saw something in him to invite him to training camp, and not only did he make the team, he was starting at right guard in the middle of the season. He'd end up starting at both guard positions for the rest of his career. He would join Doug Dieken after he retired in selling insurance. 

robert jackson.jpeg

• Like 1