THE BROWNS BOARD

2023 Off-Season Free Agent moves/signings

tiamat63

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

Neat.

Anywho,  late round RB is absolutely in play given that DJ is now gone.  That leaves Chubb and Ford with nothing else behind them, seeing that Felton has spent the overwhelming majority of his time in the WR room.   Doesn't mean it will happen, but I could see it.  

Refresh my memory on Ford, was he injured or did he just play on special teams last season?

1 hour ago, Canton Dawg said:

Refresh my memory on Ford, was he injured or did he just play on special teams last season?

Both. 

Edit: speaking of backs.  Musgrave has a history, much like young (and old) Shanny of really utilizing a fullback in his offenses. 

Wouldn't be surprised if we look at that as a possibility in the 7th,  priority UDFA or FA itself. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/23/2023 at 6:45 PM, gumby73 said:

In division..

Lamar wants out.. not a team wants to do what the Ravens could have done in years past.

Bengals & Stoolers still have other OL issues.

AFCN sleeping giant ?   🥱   

Lamar is more stupid than he looks. The Rats offered him 130 mil guaranteed, instead of all of it and he turned it down. He hadn't played a full season in 3 years. In a way I hope the Ravens give in. He sucks.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, FY56 said:

Lamar is more stupid than he looks. The Rats offered him 130 mil guaranteed, instead of all of it and he turned it down. He hadn't played a full season in 3 years. In a way I hope the Ravens give in. He sucks.

And he's made of porcelain...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FY56 said:

If I was Harbaugh.. I'd ship his as$, to hottest desert in Arizona for Kyler & D-hop..

Ozzie Newsome needs to run away from Baltimore.. 🏃‍♂️ Deal Jack'o & retire for reel 🎣  

one sides got a nice roster paid.. the other wants ridiculous money for his past performance

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

If I was Harbaugh.. I'd ship his as$, to hottest desert in Arizona for Kyler & D-hop..

Ozzie Newsome needs to run away from Baltimore.. 🏃‍♂️ Deal Jack'o & retire for reel 🎣  

one sides got a nice roster paid.. the other wants ridiculous money for his past performance

Ozzie doesn't run the ship anymore... Eric DeCosta does...

In addition to all of the FAs the Browns signed from other teams - I like it when they re-sign FAs that were already here for the sake of continuity and proven productivity within.  I think we resigned 5 guys. Here's the 5 I know of:

1. The LBer we got from Seattle last year #51 Jordan Kunaszyk set career highs in tackles and games played in 2022 with the Browns.  He's also one of those special team guys with a stunt man's mind set "how many alligators do you want me to wrestle on this play coach?"  I think Bubba is going to like this guy a lot.

2. LBer - Sione Takitaki.  I still think back to our 11-5 season when a lot of us were most worried about the LBer Corps heading into that season. He made some HUGE plays down the stretch and in the playoffs.  He was also pretty solid for us last year filling in.  

3. Center - Ethan Pocic.  Another guy that was previously with Seattle.  He came over here like Hank Fraley did in the sense his previous team didn't need him any more.  The only difference was we had to trade for Fraley (who is now the OL Coach for the Detroit Lions).  Like Fraley, the savvy vet proved he could pull, trap and make all the line calls.

4. CB - AJ Green. An experienced back-up that gives us solid depth.  At 6'2" and 198 lbs - he has a similar frame to that of Martin Emerson (who uses his frame well for press coverage).

5. LBer - Anthony Walker -  Very productive leader for us on defense. It'll be nice to see an improved defensive line in front of him to make him even more productive than he has already been under the circumstances.  

Some are better known than others; but film has a way of making them known enough to their position coaches...

On 3/27/2023 at 5:05 PM, nickers said:

Ozzie doesn't run the ship anymore... Eric DeCosta does...

He's still helping them though Nicks.  He's probably trained and developed everyone there that is in charge of important decisions.  He may be retired, but he was in the Rats' booth at the combines with a stop watch when the prospects were running their 40s.  You don't do that if you're not still connected.  My guess is that organization still leans on him as their go-to consultant. 

3 hours ago, Flugel said:

He's still helping them though Nicks.  He's probably trained and developed everyone there that is in charge of important decisions.  He may be retired, but he was in the Rats' booth at the combines with a stop watch when the prospects were running their 40s.  You don't do that if you're not still connected.  My guess is that organization still leans on him as their go-to consultant. 

Yes , I knew he was still a part time consultant...

Good writeup of 6 non-Browns offseasons

And let's stop the "we won the offseason"s now.. Sure, being better at our weaknesses is good stuff, but the thing missing so far that is present in each of these 6:

Quality vet signings at each weakness position for 1yr/under $6 who are only backups.

Focus now on the depth, we know the injuries will happen..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Unsympathetic said:

And let's stop the "we won the offseason"s now.. Sure, being better at our weaknesses is good stuff, but the thing missing so far that is present in each of these 6:

Quality vet signings at each weakness position for 1yr/under $6 who are only backups.

And we'll still be 7-10... Watch!..

8 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

IMO, the reason this franchise has had so much trouble winning from 1999-2022 is because it's never been able to build through the draft.  I remember Phil Savage saying, he's here to improve how this franchise does with the draft; and that leaning too much on free agency is usually a sign of trouble.  He said Ozzie taught him you build your team through the draft.  Let me get this out of the way right now.  YES, Phil Savage somehow found a 6'6" All Galaxy Left Tackle named Joe Thomas standing on our doorstep at #3 overall and drafted him.  Let's not pretend that was like finding a needle in a haystack.  Outside of hat, the failed in the draft so much - the increasing volume of bare cupboards caused him to lean on free agency just as much the FOs before him had to.  It became the reason he was eventually released.  When you're already overpaying too many free agents that count against your cap - your team is FUBAR when that group has an injury volume

TODAY, when you trade and lean on free agency so much that you subtract 3 consecutive 1st round draft picks along with 2 consecutive 2nd round draft picks - you've surrendered 5 golden opportunities to add strong prospects under a rookie salary cap restriction for a healthier salary cap.  Not only that, but these aren't 1 year investments only - so there's a foundation for continuity being crumbled.  That is, IF you have a FO that is good at the draft. If we don't have a FO that's good at the draft - we get to watch the 3 other teams in our division going to the playoffs and/or Super Bowl instead of our team.  The ONLY 2 starters on offense this FO drafted are Jedrick Wills-he-or-won't-he block somebody (at #10 overall); and DPJ in round 6 (with congrats to the blind squirrel finding a nut).

I always remember that Cheers episode where the Psychiatrist (Frasier Crane) who was in a bar slamming depressants and running with scissors after a full day of listening to Red Sox fans belly up on his couch whining about the Yankees.  Then again, it might have just been because he and HIPAA had to protect poor Bill Buckner. Is it possible the curse  really ended because Frasier moved to Seattle?  God only knows.

Despite everything I said above - I found myself admiring Berry's response to adversity recently.  He's trying to fight his way out of the corner he chose to get into.  IMO, this draft will decide his future in Cleveland.  I wonder why Paul Depodesta's ass isn't on the line.  Oh yeah, Jimmy Haslam is the owner.  Walked right into that one...

• Like 1

Basically, our problem is one of these people:

Management
Dee Haslam Managing and Principal Partner
Jimmy Haslam Managing and Principal Partner
Whitney Haslam Johnson Partner
JW Johnson Executive Vice President, Partner
Andrew Berry Executive Vice President, Football Operations & General Manager
Paul DePodesta Chief Strategy Officer
David A. Jenkins Executive Vice President, Chief Operating Officer
Gregory Rush Chief Financial Officer
Eric Clouse Chief Commercial Officer
Mike Nikolaus Chief Human Resources Officer
Peter John-Baptiste Senior Vice President, Communications
Phil Dangerfield Vice President, Operations
Ted Tywang Vice President, General Counsel
Josh Glessing Vice President, Strategy
Katie Murphy Director, Managing Partner Operations
Will Black Manager, Managing Partner Operations
Allison Likar Executive Assistant
Monica Lince Manager, Business Operations
Jim Brown Special Advisor

Football Operations
Catherine Raiche Assistant GM & Vice President of Football Operations
Bob Quinn Senior Personnel/ Coaching Executive
Jimmy Raye III Senior Executive Advisor to the GM
Tyler Hamblin Director of Football Operations
Joy Tapajcik Player Personnel & Football Operations Process Manager
Shane Normandeau Coordinator, Football Ops
Football Administration
Chris Cooper Vice President, Football Administration
Taylor Young Director, Football Administration
Callum Mahoney Salary Cap & Contract Analyst   (this guy's gotta be ok...my grandson's name is Callum)  :)  

Check out the full list:   https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/team/front-office-roster/

3 minutes ago, syd said:

better than losing it

Why am I getting this lecture?  Somehow you cut and pasted what Unsymp wrote as opposed to my reply to him. 😆 It's not even happy hour out there yet on the West Coast - so no excuses. Only kidding - no worries...

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Why am I getting this lecture?  Somehow you cut and pasted what Unsymp wrote as opposed to my reply to him. 😆 It's not even happy hour out there yet on the West Coast - so no excuses. Only kidding - no worries...

ah you know I woke up early to watch the masters so ummm ya Happy Hour started early today,Bet the poli board can't wait LMAO

happy good friday 

• Haha 1

Report: Kareem Hunt won’t return to Cleveland, Browns think he has lost speed

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 9, 2023, 12:10 PM EDT

Last summer, Browns running back Kareem Hunt thought he deserved more money. Now that he’s a free agent, he’s finding that NFL teams don’t think he deserves much.

Hunt will not be back in Cleveland, where the Browns think his speed is slipping, according to Terry Pluto, cleveland.com.

Last year Hunt averaged a career-low 3.8 yards per carry and a career-low 6.0 yards per catch, so the numbers would seem to confirm the sense that Hunt doesn’t have the big-play speed he had earlier in his career.

Hunt is 27, which might not seem old, but running backs don’t age well. Hunt’s best days may be behind him.

It’s been a rough year to be a free agent running back, as NFL teams are increasingly concluding that they can get just as much production from young running backs on cheap contracts as they can from veteran free agents. Hunt joins Jerick McKinnon, Ezekiel Elliott, Leonard Fournette, J.D. McKissic, Mark Ingram and other well-known veteran running backs who aren’t generating much interest.

5 hours ago, Vambo said:

Report: Kareem Hunt won’t return to Cleveland, Browns think he has lost speed

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 9, 2023, 12:10 PM EDT

Last summer, Browns running back Kareem Hunt thought he deserved more money. Now that he’s a free agent, he’s finding that NFL teams don’t think he deserves much.

Hunt will not be back in Cleveland, where the Browns think his speed is slipping, according to Terry Pluto, cleveland.com.

Last year Hunt averaged a career-low 3.8 yards per carry and a career-low 6.0 yards per catch, so the numbers would seem to confirm the sense that Hunt doesn’t have the big-play speed he had earlier in his career.

Hunt is 27, which might not seem old, but running backs don’t age well. Hunt’s best days may be behind him.

It’s been a rough year to be a free agent running back, as NFL teams are increasingly concluding that they can get just as much production from young running backs on cheap contracts as they can from veteran free agents. Hunt joins Jerick McKinnon, Ezekiel Elliott, Leonard Fournette, J.D. McKissic, Mark Ingram and other well-known veteran running backs who aren’t generating much interest.

He'll wind up being a bungle I bet...

54 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

And I'm betting they take a younger & faster Achane for the rookie money and X-factor to add to their weapons.

Could very well happen..

2 hours ago, nickers said:

He'll wind up being a bungle I bet...

Commanders Reunite Chiefs Ex Kareem Hunt With Eric Bieniemy?

Washington Commanders offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy coached Kareem Hunt in 2017 and 2018 with the Kansas City Chiefs.
  • Upvote 1

I don't like that we call him slow.  That freakin' guy coulda' ran like a deer, it wouldn't have mattered.  Every time he got the ball there were guys all around him.  It's like the D always knew he was getting the ball.  As a Brown Kareem did everything we asked of him.  Sit on the bench.  Come in and spell Nick.  Come in and make a catch for a first down then go sit down.  That's a pill to swallow for a league leading rusher.  And he did it all with a great team attitude.  I'll never forget the block he threw along the sideline to give Baker room to get a super crucial first down in our playoff run.  

I hope it comes out that we deny saying that he's lost a step.  (even if he has)  I judge guys by what they did while they were on our team.  And when Nick was injured, Hunt carried the load without missing a beat.  We had the best backfield tandem in the league while he was here.

Like Watson, I'm not going to talk about Hunt's off-field actions that lead to him becoming a Brown (I certainly don't approve).  He was a good Brown.  And hopefully Watson will be a good Brown.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Orion said:

I don't like that we call him slow.  That freakin' guy coulda' ran like a deer, it wouldn't have mattered.  Every time he got the ball there were guys all around him.  It's like the D always knew he was getting the ball.  As a Brown Kareem did everything we asked of him.  Sit on the bench.  Come in and spell Nick.  Come in and make a catch for a first down then go sit down.  That's a pill to swallow for a league leading rusher.  And he did it all with a great team attitude.  I'll never forget the block he threw along the sideline to give Baker room to get a super crucial first down in our playoff run.  

I hope it comes out that we deny saying that he's lost a step.  (even if he has)  I judge guys by what they did while they were on our team.  And when Nick was injured, Hunt carried the load without missing a beat.  We had the best backfield tandem in the league while he was here.

Like Watson, I'm not going to talk about Hunt's off-field actions that lead to him becoming a Brown (I certainly don't approve).  He was a good Brown.  And hopefully Watson will be a good Brown.

man i just loved how angry he ran 

• Upvote 1