THE BROWNS BOARD

2023 Off-Season Free Agent moves/signings

tiamat63

23 hours ago, Korsou Dawg said:

Back-up?

Two words: START DOBBS

No one's going to answer the Start Dobbs 'warcry'? Not even @Dutch Oven or @tiamat63 ? Sadge.

On topic: apparently we are pursuing Jerry Jeudy, but the asking price of Newsome + our 2nd rounder is rightfully considered too steep. That said, Newsome was unhappy last season, and arguably surpassed by Emerson. And drafting a receiver like Jeudy will be a challenge, even with our 2nd rounder.

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2023/3/21/23650864/nfl-trade-rumors-jerry-jeudy-browns-broncos

I think I would take the deal at Newsome +4th. Possibly even +3rd. Would ignite the offense, and also allow us to acquire a more specific nickel, since we have starters on the outside already.  

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Korsou Dawg said:

No one's going to answer the Start Dobbs 'warcry'? Not even @Dutch Oven or @tiamat63 ? Sadge.

On topic: apparently we are pursuing Jerry Jeudy, but the asking price of Newsome + our 2nd rounder is rightfully considered too steep. That said, Newsome was unhappy last season, and arguably surpassed by Emerson. And drafting a receiver like Jeudy will be a challenge, even with our 2nd rounder.

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2023/3/21/23650864/nfl-trade-rumors-jerry-jeudy-browns-broncos

I think I would take the deal at Newsome +4th. Possibly even +3rd. Would ignite the offense, and also allow us to acquire a more specific nickel, since we have starters on the outside already.  

I say make the deal also... Take what you have left over in the draft to support other positions and hope for the best...

24 minutes ago, Korsou Dawg said:

Meh, seen enough of Lou Dobbs to know you don't want to play with that fire. 

Odd the Donkeys would want to get ride of a promising young receiver.  Considering Russ is going to need all the help he can get.  I'm no fan of rumors, but if DEN shot down a 2nd and 4th from the Pats... Then I'm out.    I'm not giving you a top 50 pick + a very good, young corner. 

Newsie was probably unhappy last season for several reasons.  The biggest one's being how much time he spent kicked inside at slot, when he felt he could make more a difference outside.   And he's probably right.  I've said this before, but I've felt that, given his next level agility, Denzel would be better suited for that role in various matchups.   

Trade off being coaches having concerns about him in the run fit since he is the smaller body of our CB trio.  Which is why I'm hoping Schwartz is calculated with that sort of usage. 

But I don't like the idea of trading GN2.  He might not have any probowl nods, but he's a very solid DB.  

3 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Newsie was probably unhappy last season for several reasons.  The biggest one's being how much time he spent kicked inside at slot, when he felt he could make more a difference outside.   And he's probably right.  I've said this before, but I've felt that, given his next level agility, Denzel would be better suited for that role in various matchups.   

Trade off being coaches having concerns about him in the run fit since he is the smaller body of our CB trio.  Which is why I'm hoping Schwartz is calculated with that sort of usage. 

But I don't like the idea of trading GN2.  He might not have any probowl nods, but he's a very solid DB.  

Hear what you are saying about GNII. In a fully objective world, Ward would probably be used like he was. In the real world, we have pecking orders, and Ward is clearly seen as one of our top guys. He is starting on the outside. 

That makes Greg a talented back-up. If you can flip that into a starting WR of similar talent and age, without adding too much... I believe the FO pulls the trigger, and I would too. 

17 hours ago, Korsou Dawg said:

Hear what you are saying about GNII. In a fully objective world, Ward would probably be used like he was. In the real world, we have pecking orders, and Ward is clearly seen as one of our top guys. He is starting on the outside. 

That makes Greg a talented back-up. If you can flip that into a starting WR of similar talent and age, without adding too much... I believe the FO pulls the trigger, and I would too. 

Before Talib showed up, Chris Harris was the Broncos best CB.  Their best DB by far, even though he primarily drew assignments in the slot for teams that wanted to emphasize targeting that receiver.  Against Julian Edelman and the Pats was a huge matchup where he made Eds almost a non factor.  Another great example was the Hawks trying to involve Doug Baldwin,  Harris drawing that matchup and winning reps. 

Pecking order be damned, I'm playing my corners in the most favorable matchups.  If Ward draws better against a team with heavy 11 personnel and works routes from the slot, then that is where he's going. The  coaching speak/think of "my best play outside" is outdated.  One of the few things about Woods I won't miss. 

And in an NFL where you spend 60+% of your time in nickel and dime, that means your 3rd corner is pretty much a starter. Respectfully, 'backup' is hardly the word I would use bubs. 

Since the current front office has taken over, they've targeted DBs with height and wingspan -Newsie, Green, Emerson, Faulk... All 6'1+ corners.    I genuinely believe, if not for the albatross contract Ward has, there would be talk of trade interest. 

I'd rather not lose any more corners.

The Browns have landed their next big addition to their offense.

About two hours after news of the trade first broke, the Browns officially announced Wednesday that they have acquired receiver Elijah Moore from the New York Jets, along with the Jets' third-round pick, No. 74. New York will receive the Browns' second-round pick, No 42.

Year
Team
REC
YDS
AVG
LNG
TD
ATT
YDS
AVG

Career

On 3/13/2023 at 2:37 PM, gumby73 said:

this feels like, if berry announced a move before Wednesday? It would piss off owners,NFL and Media..

F'em Berry! Load this squad up !🤞Go Browns!

download.jpg.52fc2fb1b58045a0d62fb51b35f67608.jpg     download.jpg.8523e188e77edb5fbeea040fd1cc85dc.jpg   YES !  We had some doubts...

Me included

JOB WELL DONE ANDREW BERRY !  

What did Elijah Moore cost the #Browns?

Using the Fitzgerald-Spielberger Trade Chart (Analytics)
#42 - 1106
#74 - 819 So effectively given up pick 211 for Moore

Using Jimmy Johnson Trade Chart
#42 - 480
#74 - 220 So effectively given up pick 66

Great value by AB 
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

download.jpg.52fc2fb1b58045a0d62fb51b35f67608.jpg     download.jpg.8523e188e77edb5fbeea040fd1cc85dc.jpg   YES !  We had some doubts...

Me included

JOB WELL DONE ANDREW BERRY !  

Sorry but winning the off season doesn't excite me much...

22 minutes ago, nickers said:

Sorry but winning the off season doesn't excite me much...

yes nick, we know nickers..  :)

but, passing on youth & not drafting 6-8 more was a.. win/win(FA) for Andrew Berry 

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

but, passing on youth & not drafting 6-8 more was a.. win/win(FA) for Andrew Berry 

What does he win?.. A pat on the patoot?.. Woweeee!... "Hey look at my shiny new bicycle everybody" Meh.... Time keeps on tickin'....

14 minutes ago, nickers said:

Time keeps on tickin'....

put 5-6 draftees on this team starting at pick #40.. Where ya gonna put'em & who ya cutting? 

time, said to win now, and not do it sitting on the clock ..

Aren't you tired of watching Haslam fire everybody but himself?

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

put 5-6 draftees on this team starting at pick #40.. Where ya gonna put'em & who ya cutting? 

time, said to win now, and not do it sitting on the clock ..

Aren't you tired of watching Haslam fire everybody but himself?

As do bears shit in da woods!

1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

and hopefully we can trade some of those picks for next years draft unless I mean unless there is someone we will package picks up for ? I dunno I would rather get extra picks for next years draft

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, nickers said:

da woods!

A Browns coach finally gets to put a decent staff together, not waiting on any playoff teams, while other coaches come off the hiring list...

Not this time...

It's poker night ! Dealing starts at 9pm.. See ya boyz.. Go Browns !

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, gumby73 said:
Using Jimmy Johnson Trade Chart
#42 - 480
#74 - 220 So effectively given up pick 66

This coincides with Draftek.  Which means his value is 3rd pick in the 3rd round.  (Jets drafted him with pick 34)

I look at it this way, we gave up pick #42 for this guy.  His stats with the Jets aren't great or anything...he's 5' 10" @ 178 lb., which is smurf-like.  (he's a Brown now, so he's Elf-like)  He caught 56% of his targets with the Jets.  I dunno...I'm not sure that Elijah is our WR savior.  I'm crossing my fingers.

Now where does this leave us at LB'er?   Pick 74?  

Linebacker Anthony Walker re-signs with Browns

https://sports.yahoo.com/linebacker-anthony-walker-signs-browns-040104631.html++

Jaguars signing former Browns RB D'Ernest Johnson to one-year contract

https://www.nfl.com/news/jaguars-signing-former-browns-rb-d-ernest-johnson-to-one-year-contract

• Thanks 1

@tiamat63 very fair point about the prevalence of nickle and dime sets. 

9 hours ago, Orion said:

This coincides with Draftek.  Which means his value is 3rd pick in the 3rd round.  (Jets drafted him with pick 34)

I look at it this way, we gave up pick #42 for this guy.  His stats with the Jets aren't great or anything...he's 5' 10" @ 178 lb., which is smurf-like.  (he's a Brown now, so he's Elf-like)  He caught 56% of his targets with the Jets.  I dunno...I'm not sure that Elijah is our WR savior.  I'm crossing my fingers.

I'm with you on this one. Internet commentators and analytics guys are going nuts about the value of this trade. And while I have preached the gospel of value going into this off-season, I'm struggling to get any more than lukewarm about this trade. 

Moore seems like your typical slot/ speed guy. It seems that DPJ will be our WR2 on the outside for one more season, which is not necessarily a bad thing. Where does that leave Bell, who I am higher on most of the comments I have seen on here? He has a similar height and build as DPJ, so maybe he might be getting reps on the outside as well? 

• Thanks 1

Expected nothing less..

Outside media markets, only want to talk about this trade from the Jets side 😲.. Packers still not budging that cap number

In division..

Lamar wants out.. not a team wants to do what the Ravens could have done in years past.

Bengals & Stoolers still have other OL issues.

AFCN sleeping giant ?   🥱   HD-wallpaper-sleeping-giant-giant-digital-abstract-art-sleeping-fantasy.jpg.8ea5bce4a1eb374990a5846011f3bf8e.jpg

• Upvote 1

Marquise Goodwin agrees to one-year deal with Browns

Posted by Myles Simmons on March 24, 2023, 2:24 PM EDT

Cleveland has reached a one-year agreement with Marquise Goodwin, according to multiple reports.

Goodwin, 32, spent last season with the Seahawks. He caught 27 passes for 387 yards with four touchdowns in 13 games with two starts.

A third-round pick in the 2013 draft, Goodwin spent his first four seasons with Buffalo before signing with the 49ers in free agency in 2017. That was his best season, as he started all 16 games for San Francisco and caught 56 passes for 962 yards with a pair of touchdowns.

Though Cleveland had Amari Cooper and Donovan Peoples-Jones under contract at receiver, the club needed some more depth at the position. Now the Browns have added Moore and Goodwin this week to work with quarterback Deshaun Watson.

The Browns also have eight picks in the 2023 draft, starting with No. 74 overall in the third round.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Vambo said:

Goodwin, 32, spent last season with the Seahawks. He caught 27 passes for 387 yards with four touchdowns in 13 games with two starts.

which is what i would expect of him ? is doe's he still have any wheels left ?

On 3/22/2023 at 8:47 PM, Orion said:

I don't think he is being looked at as a savior.  Just a new addition to a new O.

We have to remember we brought in Bill Musgrave.  He has a strong background with the  WCO.  It isn't as heavy on the vertical and employs a vertical component.  Moore is well suited to the horizontal game.  He has plenty of speed, but more important is he is elite when it come to quick burst.  He can get open quickly, something I feel we have lacked.  He has also shown the ability to find the soft spots in a zone.

Obviously much depends on how he is used but I can see him catching near 80 balls this season.  YAC is going dictate his yardage because he probably isn't going to be running a lot of fly routes as his primary role.  He will work the horizontal routes

3 hours ago, ballpeen said:

more important is he is elite when it come to quick burst.  He can get open quickly, something I feel we have lacked.

Right.  We haven't had the Wes Welker / Eddleman type that can catch 10 balls a game.   We DO need someone that you can count on to get open.  -  savior was a reference to the biblical character...rye humor

1 minute ago, Orion said:

Right.  We haven't had the Wes Welker / Eddleman type that can catch 10 balls a game.   We DO need someone that you can count on to get open.  -  savior was a reference to the biblical character...rye humor

ah. NOW we MUST HAVE a wr who can GET OPEN?

GREAT !!! LOL.