THE BROWNS BOARD

Cade York is out.

nickers

On 8/7/2023 at 7:26 AM, ballpeen said:

In golf, slightly side hill lies impact the shot.  Holds can impact a kicker.  Just a quarter inch off, or slightly more pressure on the hold can change the spin on the ball.  When I see a kicker, who generally get a draw spin on the ball, slice the ball, it makes me think something was off on the hold.

Golfers don't have to deal with the lie angle changing on their downswing.  Kickers don't start their motion once the ball is placed.  It starts as soon as the holder touches the ball.  By the time the holder places the ball, the kickers leg is starting the downswing.  

Sorry, you just can't adjust to that...we are talking fractions of seconds.  Snappers and holders have a lot to do with the success of a kick.  If a snappers RPM's are off, the holder has to try to spin the laces away from the kick point.  If the holders hold is leaning a bit off, the kickers isn't going to be able to kick in at his flush point.  Leaning towards the kicker, you get more hook spin.  Leaning away a bit, you get straight or slice spin.  Straight sounds good except when the kicker normally draws it back 7 yards.

Few golfers actually hit a straight ball.  Actually, none.  A straight ball is a slight mistake in their swing.  A normal shot for them either fades or draws to some degree.  That club either comes  in slightly inside or outside the ball on a stock shot.  Jack hit a stock fade.  Arnie hit a stock draw.

So get Tiger Woods to kick for us.

The game-winner was blocked.  But it didn't look like that side of the line got an incredible push or anything.  It didn't look like anyone jumped exceptionally high.  IMO, the kick was too low.

On 8/24/2023 at 6:36 AM, ballpeen said:

On a small sample size, 1-2 kicks can swing those percentage a great deal.  I am not sure that looking at % is the best barometer.

What about looking at the kicks York makes that wobble all over the place, look terrible and just squeeze inside a goal post? 

start with this statement..

49'ers 3rd round drafted kicker Michigan's Jake Moody has not been good at kicking anything at 49'ers camp. Now they have none & Robbie Gould didn't want out in San Fran. in the first place, so Gould maybe off any kicker option list shortly sticking in San Fran..

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/49ers-kicking-situation-takes-disastrous-turn-with-kyle-shanahan-admitting-team-needs-a-plan-b-for-week-1/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SdBacker80 said:

I think we have a good team 

We'll see next game.  But good teams need to have a good kicker too.  We haven't been able to get that position right in a long time...thus the draft pick.  But it still doesn't seem 'right' yet.  It seems we constantly watch opponent kickers knock 'em through from all over our home field...but we live in fear of FG attempts.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Browns149 said:

The rookie from NO looks good

This situation is like a Major League Baseball Team that has a closer that can't throw strikes when you need him to at the end of the game. It doesn't matter how great your team is or was all game long when the scoreboard reflects - "you're only as good as your last guy."

Since not very many teams draft kickers; it's looking like Berry's ego to be right about his draft decisions in a division that could come down to 1 game or even 1 kick.  I hope the GM's ego to be right about about his draft picks doesn't go down the same square peg round hole path it went with Anthony Schwartz way longer than necessary...

AGAIN, Berry can bring someone in to compete for the starting job - and stash York on the practice squad if/when he loses the competition.  Seems kind of strange this is the only starting position that doesn't need to be won/earned on this team. It wasn't like he ranked with the elite place kickers in the league last year.  

Or do what we'll do in keeping with Browns recent tradition of having Lucy as our spotter so we can blame her instead of this choker when we lose 2-3 games at crunch time. How many knuckleballs do we have to watch before we replace him?

46 minutes ago, Orion said:

Kevin Stefanski: ‘I think Cade (York) is very talented’

....hmm....I guess he must play the piano or something...

His talent is missing kicks

9 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

ESPN

Resisting the urge to be cynical about Hopkins.. who if he's not in the top tier of league K, he's at least in the tier of very-good.

Hopkins salary

He's been very automatic on extra points and inside 40 his whole career. 40-49 is still around 83%, which is just fine. His overall make % is actually 20th all time, as I was curious: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/fg_perc_career.htm (of course, hasn't been kicking as long as many of those guys). 

50+ is why he's been battling roster spots for the last three years, though. Still very excited-with how Stefanski goes for it in the 50 yard FG range it's hypothetically a range that will come up 5 times throughout the season. He makes 2-3 of those but buries close to 90% of stuff closer? That's all that's needed.

1 hour ago, Unsympathetic said:

ESPN

Resisting the urge to be cynical about Hopkins.. who if he's not in the top tier of league K, he's at least in the tier of very-good.

Hopkins salary

No need to be cynical. Any way you look at it, this is an upgrade. York was the worst full-time kicker in the NFL last year. And he only made 50% in the preseason. This move will probably equate to 2 or 3 extra wins this year.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

He's been very automatic on extra points and inside 40 his whole career. 40-49 is still around 83%, which is just fine. His overall make % is actually 20th all time, as I was curious: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/fg_perc_career.htm (of course, hasn't been kicking as long as many of those guys). 

50+ is why he's been battling roster spots for the last three years, though. Still very excited-with how Stefanski goes for it in the 50 yard FG range it's hypothetically a range that will come up 5 times throughout the season. He makes 2-3 of those but buries close to 90% of stuff closer? That's all that's needed.

Add in our punter is pretty darn good.  With an improved D, playing the field position game isn't bad strategy.

• Upvote 1

The Cleveland Browns and Los Angeles Chargers have agreed to the following trade:

Browns receive:

K Dustin Hopkins

Chargers receive:

2025 7th round pick

Hopkins is entering his 10th NFL season out of Florida State. Originally a sixth-round pick by Buffalo in 2013, Hopkins has appeared in 109 career games with the Commanders (2015-21) and Chargers (2021-22). He has converted 190 of 224 field goal attempts (84.8%) and 221 of 234 extra points (94.4%) for 791 total points. Last season, he connected on 9 of 10 field goal attempts and all 12 PATs in five games with the Chargers before being placed on injured reserve with a hamstring injury. He was named the Special Teams Player of the Week for the third time in his career following a four field goal performance, including a 39-yard game winner during Week 6 in 2022.   

*All NFL trades are pending a physical. 

-------------

We've gotta win now.  A lot of people's jobs are on the line.  

37 minutes ago, Browns57 said:

No need to be cynical. Any way you look at it, this is an upgrade. York was the worst full-time kicker in the NFL last year. And he only made 50% in the preseason. This move will probably equate to 2 or 3 extra wins this year.

I don't know about that.  York was a guy who can win games Hopkins can't.  It does make you feel better when you can't look back at a missed FG from 39 yards and start playing "what if".

56 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Now we sit and watch how this new kicker deals with kicking on the lakefront. 

Always a fun game for all!

But it's the same for both teams.  Our opponents make them against us.  The way he's mentally struggling in August...he'd be a basket case from Thanksgiving on.  Or not.  But they're not taking that chance.

6 minutes ago, Orion said:

But it's the same for both teams.  Our opponents make them against us.  The way he's mentally struggling in August...he'd be a basket case from Thanksgiving on.  Or not.  But they're not taking that chance.

I'm not upset the Browns moved on from York.

I'm saying that the new kicker has his work cut out for him 

• Thanks 1