THE BROWNS BOARD

Jameis Winston is a Brown

46 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Joyous topic.. so back to the title

Jameis has not signed a Browns contract as of Sunday..

With Watson’s shoulder rehab only starting any kind of throwing soon and offseason activities starting in Berea in April, adding another quarterback makes sense. With Winston not signing yet, Cleveland only has Dorian Thompson-Robinson and Huntley at the quarterback position.

#Browns have agreed to terms with former #Ravens QB Tyler Huntley

Tyler Huntley is only signing a veteran’s minimum contract meaning he is competing for a roster spot at best and is a training camp arm at worst:

So how long should AB have Cabot wait for busy Jameis Winston?

Just out of curiosity, what do they know about Winston that the rest of the planet doesn't already know about him?   Look what they could have had Fields for compared to this crap?  Why go a million miles away to allow Pittsburgh to only give up a 6th round pick for a rising star at QB?  Sorry, I gotta be honest here  but this is Pittsburgh's FO beating our ass bad.  Even worse, he's got a whole career ahead of him.  Here's another Ohio State Buckeye the Browns SHOULD have been interested in.  

Now the Browns are going to have to reach on Bo Nix or Joe Milton for 1 of their 5 picks.

8 hours ago, Kvoethe said:

I'm honestly wondering if my respect for Berry is misplaced, or are the dirty haslams and/or depodesta just making him throw mega millions against the wall with that asinine trade.....because they are embarrassed at failing? And yes, they used Baker as a scapegoat.

Justin Fields would have been a great move, instead of the disaster maga massage qb has been so far. Russel Wilson - can't despise him even if he is a steeler, but injuries and age seem to have been taking their toll the last few times I watched him play.

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

Just out of curiosity, what do they know about Winston that the rest of the planet doesn't already know about him?   Look what they could have had Fields for compared to this crap?  Why go a million miles away to allow Pittsburgh to only give up a 6th round pick for a rising star at QB?  Sorry, I gotta be honest here  but this is Pittsburgh's FO beating our ass bad.  Even worse, he's got a whole career ahead of him.  Here's another Ohio State Buckeye the Browns SHOULD have been interested in.  

Now the Browns are going to have to reach on Bo Nix or Joe Milton for 1 of their 5 picks.

Come on Flugs, this isn't that complicated.

The Browns front office isn't bringing in a backup that is going to automatically be more popular than Watson. No one really cares about Winston, or will be dying to see him play.

But Flacco? We saw how popular that run was with Browns fans and him.

Justin Fields? The ex-Ohio State QB in a region that is incredibly pro-Buckeye? 

Winston was brought in because Watson likes him AND he's not much of a threat of the fan base clamoring for him. 

And I'm confused, why exactly are we forced to use a draft pick on a QB now? 

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

Just out of curiosity, what do they know about Winston that the rest of the planet doesn't already know about him?

and we don't know what this FO should know..

a) Winston might have arranged arriving this weekend to sign his deal on Monday? He' got a agent for info

b.) Ya won't get a disagreement from this poster, or several teams for that matter. Many GM's missed the trade value steal for Justin Fields to come in as a backup QB ..  Makes matters worse.. It was Fucking Pittsburgh  🤷‍♂️  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

The Browns front office isn't bringing in a backup that is going to automatically be more popular than Watson.

Correct.  It wouldn't make sense to cause problems in that way. 

Basically, if you lose your starting QB you're screwed anyway.  The emergency Flacco ride was a good one.  But that season is now over.  We're committed to Watson for a couple of reasons.  1)  We've invested as king's ransom in him (see this year's 1st round Browns pick).  Secondly, he hasn't proven that he's not good enough to be our starting QB...yet.  He hasn't played enough.  He's been suspended or hurt.  To ME he's proven that he's not too smart because he takes on tacklers instead of sliding.  But apparently that doesn't affect the organization's opinion of him.  

As much as the organization has to allow their big gamble/deal on their star QB to play itself out.....they've gotta be expecting this to be the year that their star QB proves his value in a positive way.  Because if not, the draft picks part of the deal will be over...and we'll be going into the next draft WITH a 1st round pick.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

16 hours ago, Orion said:

Correct.  It wouldn't make sense to cause problems in that way. 

Basically, if you lose your starting QB you're screwed anyway.  The emergency Flacco ride was a good one.  But that season is now over.  We're committed to Watson for a couple of reasons.  1)  We've invested as king's ransom in him (see this year's 1st round Browns pick).  Secondly, he hasn't proven that he's not good enough to be our starting QB...yet.  He hasn't played enough.  He's been suspended or hurt.  To ME he's proven that he's not too smart because he takes on tacklers instead of sliding.  But apparently that doesn't affect the organization's opinion of him.  

As much as the organization has to allow their big gamble/deal on their star QB to play itself out.....they've gotta be expecting this to be the year that their star QB proves his value in a positive way.  Because if not, the draft picks part of the deal will be over...and we'll be going into the next draft WITH a 1st round pick.

Let me explain and if you still disagree - no worries.   First, we read Jameis is still unsigned. That's a concern.

Second, you have to understand the price of Justin Fields was only a 6th round pick.  That's cheaper than the asking price of Crablegs.  If memory serves me right, both Steve Young and Doug Williams were disappointments on their 1st NFL Team in Tampa.  They won Super Bowls by huge margins on their 2nd NFL teams that put more talent around them. Pittsburgh was a playoff team last year so the step up from Chicago to Pittsburgh seems like a very similar scenario to what Steve Young and Doug Williams encountered.

Our hated rival signed Fields to be a backup for their new starting QB (BOTH guys) making a lot less money apiece than Watson and Winston (apiece); so why would that kind asking price from Fields cause any problems in Cleveland if they pursued it?  I'd be very surprised if anyone that's seen latest version of Winston thinks he looks better than the latest version of Fields.

Just know, Watson is 1 blind side shot/hit where he gets planted on the glenoid away from game over/career over with Wills as the guy we're counting on to prevent such an occurrence.  If that happens - all of the defensive players added mean as much as what the Jets defensive players meant to their chances of winning last year.  We're FUBAR.  The last time I remember a QB as overlooked as Fields was this off-season - it was Drew Brees coming of surgical repair/off season rehab of his throwing shoulder. Dr Andrews told inquiring teams he expected Drew's throwing shoulder to be stronger than it was pre-injury.  New Orleans had the guts and got the glory.

I'm not always right - we all know this.  That said, Fields at those asking prices was the wrong guy to roster snob for Crablegs.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

The Browns front office isn't bringing in a backup that is going to automatically be more popular than Watson. No one really cares about Winston, or will be dying to see him play.

Winston was brought in because Watson likes him AND he's not much of a threat of the fan base clamoring for him. 

I sincerely hope I'm wrong about all of this Dutch.  Since I just posted what I did - you know Winston will probably sign his contract on Monday anyway.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

this isn't that complicated.

Good post Dutch^^and this is just a piece of the 2024 season drama we'll be facing/posting

The main media, 2 fold opinion flying monkeys began flying soon as Flacco wasn't re-signed.

Example a) Charlie Weis, NFL Radio

"If I was a Browns fan. It's not my money spent on a ridiculous paid QB contract. Why should their fans care about Watson's hurt performance feelings? To date, Watson's biggest win was one road win in Baltimore under his belt. 3 years into a 5 year promised contract. Fans/the 53/staff should only care about win's & if Wacko 4 Flacco or _________ hurts Watson's butt hurt performance feelings? Than, So be it.. We all have to Compete for our jobs. and I Charlie Weis still get boo'ed doing this radio show"  🙋‍♂️(guilty)

Charlie Weis won't be the only media a_ _hole to take this side of the (de)fence ..

Kindly, Don't shoot back at this messenger .. It's not my money to choose players/pay. I'm just a lifetime fan of the  Cleveland Browns posting opinions that's out there.

Happy Monday !

• Upvote 1

All one has to do is read this thread to understand.

The team isn't interested in a QB controversy.  With every incompletion after maybe game one, the OSU morons would be chanting "We Want Fields" or whoever is the popular player of the hour by the other morons.

We have been through all of that.  People who want more of that are simpletons.

It's a game.  Enjoy life.

7 hours ago, Flugel said:

I sincerely hope I'm wrong about all of this Dutch.  Since I just posted what I did - you know Winston will probably sign his contract on Monday anyway.

As far as I know, if he hasn't officially signed with the Browns its just a technicality at this point. I haven't read anything local that would make me think he won't.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ballpeen said:

All one has to do is read this thread to understand.

The team isn't interested in a QB controversy.  With every incompletion after maybe game one, the OSU morons would be chanting "We Want Fields" or whoever is the popular player of the hour by the other morons.

We have been through all of that.  People who want more of that are simpletons.

It's a game.  Enjoy life.

Stop sipping your tea for a second and remind us all why Watson didn't finish the season last year.  There is THAT!  Anything less than former 1st round QB Joe Flacco was, well.... PJ Walker right?    

What's next?  Oh yeah, we should remember the play Watson got injured on and how it happened.    Our blind side tackle Wills missed a block.  Gee, why would one be more concerned about a QB controversy than a backup QB being capable of doing well enough to keep this team winning the next time Wills gets Watson hurt?  You can worry about the feelings of a QB that has only started 12 games in 2 years.  I want to be assured we're not overpaying a turnover machine to back up this type of QB.  Fields only costs his new team a 6th round pick (and possibly a 4th if he plays 51% of the snaps).

Any guy that carelessly throws 30 INTs in a season like Jameis did the year before Brady - keeps his team from making the playoffs.  They HATED Jameis Winston in Tampa any time I listened to local sports radio here. 1 year later that non-playoff team won a Super Bowl. I don't remember ever posting that I wanted the Browns to bring an Ohio State QB here until a division rival landed a 1st round (11th overall) QB for a 6th round pick.  I posted this a week or 2 before it happened. Considering our cap situation - yes, I'll go on record saying Fields would have been a much better bang for the buck than Crablegs. 

Anyone in here knows the Ohio State fanbase hasn't been in here every year wanting the Browns to draft Ohio State QBs. That was ridiculous by you.  We didn't even do that for CJ Stroud or Fields the years they were drafted in the 1st round.  Crablegs is gonna cost about about 6-7 million $ while Fields only costs Pittsburgh 3.2 million $ as a former 11th overall pick.  If my gut here ends up being wrong about this I'll deserve any and all ball busting back.  But if Wills misses another block on the blind side (which is more a question of when than if) and Watson gets planted on the right shoulder again - you're more interested in not having a QB controversy than winning.  Got it!  The NY Jets didn't have any QB controversy in 2023 right?  I'm sure that made every guy on their defense extremely happy they had a losing record to show for their efforts.

I get it, just as the front office seems to see it the same way as I.  So there's that.

You know damn good and well there is a block of fans looking for an excuse to root against Watson.  A QB controversy will cost us more wins than some back-up QB might lose.  Got it?

13 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

So Watson likes Winston you say?  For what reason do you suppose that is?  Probably because Watson can now enjoy company with another pervert and allow fans someone else to boo.

And it doesn't appear Winston wants to come here to sit on the bench. 

Jameis Winston has already made his intentions clear to new teammate Deshaun Watson (msn.com)

• Upvote 1

I swear browns fans are some of the best and some of the worst at the same time.  Some are not happy unless they can root for the back up QB.   Me being a fan I am rooting for the starting QB, regardless of what massages or happy endings he may have received.  Come next January we will have back to back comeback player of the year awards by two different QB's.   

Lets go Watson prove the sensitive fucks wrong and go be the QB from 2021

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Flugel said:

Stop sipping your tea for a second and remind us all why Watson didn't finish the season last year.  There is THAT!  Anything less than former 1st round QB Joe Flacco was, well.... PJ Walker right?    

What's next?  Oh yeah, we should remember the play Watson got injured on and how it happened.    Our blind side tackle Wills missed a block.  Gee, why would one be more concerned about a QB controversy than a backup QB being capable of doing well enough to keep this team winning the next time Wills gets Watson hurt?  You can worry about the feelings of a QB that has only started 12 games in 2 years.  I want to be assured we're not overpaying a turnover machine to back up this type of QB.  Fields only costs his new team a 6th round pick (and possibly a 4th if he plays 51% of the snaps).

Any guy that carelessly throws 30 INTs in a season like Jameis did the year before Brady - keeps his team from making the playoffs.  They HATED Jameis Winston in Tampa any time I listened to local sports radio here. 1 year later that non-playoff team won a Super Bowl. I don't remember ever posting that I wanted the Browns to bring an Ohio State QB here until a division rival landed a 1st round (11th overall) QB for a 6th round pick.  I posted this a week or 2 before it happened. Considering our cap situation - yes, I'll go on record saying Fields would have been a much better bang for the buck than Crablegs. 

Anyone in here knows the Ohio State fanbase hasn't been in here every year wanting the Browns to draft Ohio State QBs. That was ridiculous by you.  We didn't even do that for CJ Stroud or Fields the years they were drafted in the 1st round.  Crablegs is gonna cost about about 6-7 million $ while Fields only costs Pittsburgh 3.2 million $ as a former 11th overall pick.  If my gut here ends up being wrong about this I'll deserve any and all ball busting back.  But if Wills misses another block on the blind side (which is more a question of when than if) and Watson gets planted on the right shoulder again - you're more interested in not having a QB controversy than winning.  Got it!  The NY Jets didn't have any QB controversy in 2023 right?  I'm sure that made every guy on their defense extremely happy they had a losing record to show for their efforts.

Yeah…I’m not sure what Berry sees in Wills to keep him on the roster.

2 hours ago, FY56 said:

So Watson likes Winston you say?  For what reason do you suppose that is?  Probably because Watson can now enjoy company with another pervert and allow fans someone else to boo.

Jameis Winston has already made his intentions clear to new teammate Deshaun Watson (msn.com)

Winston thinks he’s a starter in the NFL? 🤣😂

That ship has sailed.

• Haha 1

I still don't know what to make of this signing of Winston. They just brought in Tyler Huntley who was a pro bowler and filled in admirably for Lamar Jackson, and is all but 25 or 26 years old, and I think he is a clear upgrade over Winston.

So if they were going for the "we don't want people chanting for the other guy if Watson starts stinking up the place", I don't see this as a move that prevents that. Plus, don't we still have DTR?

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Neo said:

I still don't know what to make of this signing of Winston. They just brought in Tyler Huntley who was a pro bowler and filled in admirably for Lamar Jackson, and is all but 25 or 26 years old, and I think he is a clear upgrade over Winston.

So if they were going for the "we don't want people chanting for the other guy if Watson starts stinking up the place", I don't see this as a move that prevents that. Plus, don't we still have DTR?

I don't get it either, unless they aren't sold on DTR. 

We fans can only speculate. It's obvious that 4 QBs won't be rostered. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bob806 said:

I don't get it either, unless they aren't sold on DTR. 

We fans can only speculate. It's obvious that 4 QBs won't be rostered. 

DTR made progress during the season. He looked like a deer in the headlights in his first start and eventually came back to beat Pittsburgh. I don't think they are going to give up on a guy they drafted so easily, and you don't bring in a Tyler Huntley to be a camp body. 

I'm starting to get the vibe that they aren't totally convinced that Watson's shoulder will ever be the same, or maybe he's going to be a fully guaranteed 200 million dollar "oops, I've got a hang nail and I'm going to miss 3 weeks" quarterback and they want to be ahead of the curve.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Neo said:

DTR made progress during the season. He looked like a deer in the headlights in his first start and eventually came back to beat Pittsburgh. I don't think they are going to give up on a guy they drafted so easily, and you don't bring in a Tyler Huntley to be a camp body. 

I'm starting to get the vibe that they aren't totally convinced that Watson's shoulder will ever be the same, or maybe he's going to be a fully guaranteed 200 million dollar "oops, I've got a hang nail and I'm going to miss 3 weeks" quarterback and they want to be ahead of the curve.

Agree, I certainly wouldn't give up on him. 

...and Watson, I'm sure there's concerns. Maybe rumors of him having more legal issues are gaining steam (hope not).

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, FY56 said:

I suppose that could be true.

It's possibly similar to how all the pussies congregate over on the Poliboard.

Birds of a feather, I guess.

3 hours ago, Neo said:

The guy broke his shoulder.

You might be very well correct about the first part. Shoulder injuries are tricky. 

17 hours ago, Flugel said:

you have to understand the price of Justin Fields was only a 6th round pick.  That's cheaper than the asking price of Crablegs.  If memory serves me right, both Steve Young and Doug Williams were disappointments on their 1st NFL Team

I hear ya.  And he went to our most hated rivals.  It's painful.  Even so, he's going to the Steelers to, at the very least, compete for the starting job.  He would not be competing for the starting position in Cleveland.....until the fans and the medial start to chime in.  It would then devolve into a QB controversy.  

And I have to just say this...

We are getting all worked up about the Steelers getting....

JUSTIN FIELDS? 

Look, he's a Buckeye and I harbor no I'll will towards him, and the Steelers QB room is definitely better today with Wilson and Fields than it was with their all non-running quarterback trio of Pickett, Rudolph and Trubiskey, but at the end of the day... it's Justin Fields. 

37 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

The guy broke his shoulder.

You might be very well correct about the first part. Shoulder injuries are tricky. 

I didn't mean to come off that I think his shoulder injury isn't a big issue, I just meant that even if his shoulder fully heals that he would be inclined to take games off for minor injures. Bringing in Huntley is certainly a red flag for me that something is going on with Watson. Maybe future legal problems like someone mentioned or concerns about his rehab. Either way, Huntley was good enough to back up Lamar Jackson, he's good enough to back up Watson. I don't understand bringing him in if you don't want QB's looking over their shoulder (no pun intended).

5 minutes ago, Neo said:

I didn't mean to come off that I think his shoulder injury isn't a big issue, I just meant that even if his shoulder fully heals that he would be inclined to take games off for minor injures. Bringing in Huntley is certainly a red flag for me that something is going on with Watson. Maybe future legal problems like someone mentioned or concerns about his rehab. Either way, Huntley was good enough to back up Lamar Jackson, he's good enough to back up Watson. I don't understand bringing him in if you don't want QB's looking over their shoulder (no pun intended).

I might be wrong, but having four QBs during off-season camps and training camp doesn't seem that unique or strange to me. Especially considering the Browns are probably going to ease Watson back. Regarding him sitting with a hangnail or not playing when hurt (but not injured), I don't think there has been any history of that from him. I think he missed one game after he became the starter in 3+ seasons in Houston. 

Now, all that being said, if you asked me if I think Watson will ever get back to the 2018-2020 Watson, when he was a top 5 or so QB in the NFL, I'd say no. Deep down, the Browns might be thinking this too. 

10 minutes ago, Neo said:

Bringing in Huntley is certainly a red flag for me that something is going on with Watson.

I too find that signing to be a bit odd.

7 hours ago, FY56 said:

headline is intentionally misleading...

The full quote.

"Having the opportunity to work with Deshaun (Watson) and help him be the best he can possibly be, is my main mission," he said via Anderson. "Now, if Deshaun has to heal up for whatever reason, and I have to take a few games off of him, I’m going to be ready to do that."

Winston understands not only why he will be in Cleveland, but where he is in the pecking order and his primary responsibility.   Like any competitor, he *wants* to be the man and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that mentality.  Helps to drive healthy competition.   By all accounts, the dude has come a long way since FSU and the words from the players who have shared the same locker room echo a very positive sentiment.

Of course, like Hollywood, we have to create non-existent dramatic flair where there is none.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

headline is intentionally misleading...

The full quote.

"Having the opportunity to work with Deshaun (Watson) and help him be the best he can possibly be, is my main mission," he said via Anderson. "Now, if Deshaun has to heal up for whatever reason, and I have to take a few games off of him, I’m going to be ready to do that."

Winston understands not only why he will be in Cleveland, but where he is in the pecking order and his primary responsibility.   Like any competitor, he *wants* to be the man and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that mentality.  Helps to drive healthy competition.   By all accounts, the dude has come a long way since FSU and the words from the players who have shared the same locker room echo a very positive sentiment.

Of course, like Hollywood, we have to create non-existent dramatic flair where there is none.

I don't have the football knowledge that you have but what I've seen from Huntley, I think he can beat out both Winston and DTR for the backup role. I would also say that DTR is far from a finished product and he did make some significant strides during the regular season. Would you agree to both of those?