THE BROWNS BOARD

Jameis Winston is a Brown

1 hour ago, Neo said:

Bringing in Huntley is certainly a red flag for me that something is going on with Watson.

or maybe they just don't want to be caught with their pant's down like last year.Because that was a freaking mess

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Neo said:

I don't have the football knowledge that you have but what I've seen from Huntley, I think he can beat out both Winston and DTR for the backup role. I would also say that DTR is far from a finished product and he did make some significant strides during the regular season. Would you agree to both of those?

I"m not tia, but I do play him on TV, and I would say that he definitely could beat out DTR, and while I think Winston would beat him out, its not out of the realm of possibility. I think Winston's ceiling is higher than Huntley's, even with his turnover deficiencies. (And to be honest, Flacco has some of the same turnover propensities) 

At the end of the day, DTR was a 5th round pick. He's a good kid, but could be very expendable. 

3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I suppose that could be true.

It's possibly similar to how all the pussies congregate over on the Poliboard.

Birds of a feather, I guess.

Yeah you guess.

Ya see there, try to have a legit conversation and this is what ya get.

7 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

Winston thinks he’s a starter in the NFL? 🤣😂

That ship has sailed.

Well Winston would probably tell you that he wasn't on it.

But then again, Tia pointed out that the article was misleading.

22 minutes ago, FY56 said:

But then again, Tia pointed out that the article was misleading.

It’s silly season and there’s a ton of clickbait out there this time of year.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

Yeah…I’m not sure what Berry sees in Wills to keep him on the roster.

I hear ya CD! To be honest, I don't think putting him back to the RT position he played at Bama would make him any more efficient.  He's definitely not what we want facing TJ Watt.  I will say this - I liked that he let Berry defer a nice chunk of million$ to a later date so we could sign people.

16 hours ago, Bob806 said:

I don't get it either, unless they aren't sold on DTR. 

We fans can only speculate. It's obvious that 4 QBs won't be rostered. 

I agree.  There was speculation that a few teams wanted to trade for DTR.  I think we will be willing to trade him at some point before the season starts.

Or...this is to cover the bases if DTR hasn't improved.  If he has...who knows?

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Flugel said:

I hear ya CD! To be honest, I don't think putting him back to the RT position he played at Bama would make him any more efficient.  He's definitely not what we want facing TJ Watt.  I will say this - I liked that he let Berry defer a nice chunk of million$ to a later date so we could sign people.

Most people have a tough time with TJ.

I would like to see...at least try to put Jones on the left side and Wills on the right.  I saw or read somewhere that Wills is left handed.  When he is beat, it is mostly to the inside.  Possibly having his dominate hand on the inside if playing RT will help him.

Just seems like an obvious try.

As is said about LT's, if it doesn't work there, try in on the right side.  If it doesn't work there, put him at guard.  I'd try all the options before I just let him walk.

As the Stones sang:

You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometime, you'll find
You get what you need

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, ballpeen said:

Most people have a tough time with TJ.

I would like to see...at least try to put Jones on the left side and Wills on the right.  I saw or read somewhere that Wills is left handed.  When he is beat, it is mostly to the inside.  Possibly having his dominate hand on the inside if playing RT will help him.

Just seems like an obvious try.

As is said about LT's, if it doesn't work there, try in on the right side.  If it doesn't work there, put him at guard.  I'd try all the options before I just let him walk.

As the Stones sang:

You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometime, you'll find
You get what you need

Yeah, I like the thinking about trying Jones at LT we've had some threads and more and more of us are starting to like giving this a shot at least.  We'll see if the new OL Coach agrees with us. We still have have an extremely well paid, oft injured RT Jack Conklin coming off injury that could compete with others inclusive of Wills for the RT job.  All 3 guys (Jones, Wills and Conklin) are coming off season ending injuries in 2023.  It'll be interesting to see what happens. Like you said, you don't know without trying.

14 hours ago, Neo said:

I don't have the football knowledge that you have but what I've seen from Huntley, I think he can beat out both Winston and DTR for the backup role. I would also say that DTR is far from a finished product and he did make some significant strides during the regular season. Would you agree to both of those?

DTR, yes.  He can sit on the practice squad, no harm, no foul.    I also agree he did make positive strides. Then again, when the first outing is so disastrous, the only way to go is up.   

It will depend on how many turnovers Winston and Huntley have in camp.  If either cleans it up, that's what it'll come down to getting that 2nd spot.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Flugel said:

Yeah, I like the thinking about trying Jones at LT we've had some threads and more and more of us are starting to like giving this a shot at least.  We'll see if the new OL Coach agrees with us. We still have have an extremely well paid, oft injured RT Jack Conklin coming off injury that could compete with others inclusive of Wills for the RT job.  All 3 guys (Jones, Wills and Conklin) are coming off season ending injuries in 2023.  It'll be interesting to see what happens. Like you said, you don't know without trying.

A lesser athlete in Orlando Brown in the same frame as Jones pulled it off as a LT.  Another guy a lot people said couldn't play LT (Tristan Wirfs) moved from RT to LT and exceeded a lot of expectations.  Neither guy got there feeling entitled - they put the work in.  This is what I'd like to see from Wills - but still remains to be seen unfortunately.  Things showing up on film show me he hasn't put the work in all the way down to his inconsistency at getting into a good stance at the LOS to stopping his effort after initial contact on running plays.  FWIW...

On 3/16/2024 at 6:34 PM, Westside Steve said:

Just for the record I'm not really responding to you but the guys that have embarked on the Jihad against Mayfield because they don't like Cal. Stupid shit like equating a consensual pecadillo in a parking lot with 22 counts of sexual imposition. By the way I know you're brilliant with stats but I bet if I listed my 5 or 10 favorite players ever they wouldn't be the 5 or 10 highest in statistics. If they are for you buy yourself another couple dozen jerseys and change them everyday. So how come we don't do that? And how come we rooted for Balboa over Creed?

As far as my passion for music I love the stuff I love regardless of the stats. I can respect vocalists and or musicians that can do magic tricks but that's really not what moves me about the music. And if I have a hard time understanding how some guys like what they like over on Barbershop I don't try to tell them they're wrong.

But at the end of the day I don't think you are sorry to disappoint but I wish you were. You're a smart guy. Unlike some of the other people that are just assholes. 😄

WSS

The metrics and numbers support what Baker has put on film, and the film supports the numbers. 

I've done both and shown that work on this board.   The nice part about other things being so subjective, is that football is results driven in a much more clear manner.  

• Like 2

I remember Bradshaw talking about how he nearly got booed out of Pittsburgh, he said he was terrible.

I suppose it's harder for some players, especially qbs, to adapt and grow the rest of the way. I don't see growing in watson, don't know about winston.

Bradshaw even said he might never have made it to the NFL if Phil Robertson hadn't quit football to duck hunt and live off the land...

Even Peyton Manning had growing to do:

"Peyton Manning had a passer rating of 71.2 with 3,739 yards, 26 touchdowns and 28 interceptions in 16 games in his rookie season in 1998."

I just see watson as not having a firm foundation to grow on. Don't know about Winston.

1 hour ago, D Bone said:

Sweet! The Browns continue to dominate the offseason once again.

^ Dammit, forgot the pink font.  

Actually the Browns went 11-6 last season. 

If you were anything but a troll nowadays, you might have actually noticed and enjoyed it.

But hey, keep making the same pink font joke for the millionth time. 

20 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

The metrics and numbers support what Baker has put on film, and the film supports the numbers. 

I've done both and shown that work on this board.   The nice part about other things being so subjective, is that football is results driven in a much more clear manner.  

I don't think I've given you any shit whatsoever for skill with metrics. I still don't understand why my liking Baker (or Joe Namath or Brian Sipe or Kenny Stabler or Joe Pendleton Etc) pisses some of these guys off so badly.

Anyway on a scale of 1 to 10 one being the best, how do you rate the Watson trade according to the numbers over the last few years?

WSS

On 3/18/2024 at 9:22 AM, ballpeen said:

I get it, just as the front office seems to see it the same way as I.  So there's that.

You know damn good and well there is a block of fans looking for an excuse to root against Watson.  A QB controversy will cost us more wins than some back-up QB might lose.  Got it?

Welcome to Cleveland!  Bringing up a QB controversy implies you're confident in Watson?  Actions speaking louder than words shows you worrying his critics are right.  

Do you know how big or sturdy that surgically repaired bone behind the ball and socket is today?   I'm gonna walk you through a scenario that should be a stronger protection of the investment at QB than it is.  True story, Jed Wills is our blind side pass protector again just like he was SUPPOSED to be last year.  We're playing bigtime pretend here that there won't be another blind side turf plant on Watson where the physics don't favor a QB landing on his rehabbed throwing shoulder again. Then what?  Join you and others in hoping the backup doesn't play well enough to hurt Watson's feelings?

Just 12 starts in 2 years for the size of contract up against our cap space has his critics asking "why are the Browns always counting on other QBs in lieu of Watson?"  Allow me: PJ Walker, DTR, Joe Flacco, Jeff Driskel, Jacoby Brissett.  So the next time everyone fusses how bad a backup stunk you want me calm them down with "Yeah, but there's no QB controversy."  To answer your question Oh yeah I got it!

Are we really missing 1-15 and 0-16 football seasons where there were no QB controversies because all our QBs sucked equally?  It's okay for loyal fans like yourself to ask for better than this Ballpeen!  

I don't feel the Browns are better off with a backup that doesn't have any upside that also throws a lot of INTs and pick 6s over a young guy willing to play for less $ on a team with surrounding talent good enough to make the playoffs (with 1st round talent and upside of a 24-25 year old). All of this includes the reality that Wills remains the blind side protection plan for the Watson investment.  If/when he gets hurt again - your biggest nightmare will now be a larger volume of critics wondering why this was never considered/factored into the thinking from our FO.   If someone also wants to tell me 28 other teams didn't think like Pittsburgh did with Justin Fields or consider what his very affordable asking price was - you know where to find me when this plays out. I'll be here.  If I'm wrong, I'll know where to find what store has a sale on glue. If I'm right, I'll just drink a bunch of depressants in a frosted mug for the next 10 years...

In the meantime, here's a little summary of Winston's final season in TB in an article I found with the very last sentence below showing his pick 6 volume of 7 that season:

https://www.nfl.com/news/jameis-winston-in-30-30-club-with-game-ending-pick-6-0ap3000001092681

It was somehow equal parts stunning, fitting, amazing and conclusive all in one as Jameis Winston became the first NFL player to find his way into the dubious 30-30 club.

With the Buccaneers' final game of the season having found its way into overtime, Winston threw the first and only overtime play from scrimmage into the arms of Falcons linebacker Deion Jones. Jones promptly raced 27 yards the other way to give Atlanta a 28-22 win over Tampa Bay in the teams' season finale.

Can't-Miss Play: Winston's desperation heave ends in INSANE TD by grab Perriman

Upon his final pass of the definition of a mercurial season, Winston became the first player in NFL history to throw 30-or-more touchdowns and 30 interceptions, finishing with 33 scores and 30 catches by the other team. He also set a new league mark with seven interceptions returned for touchdowns.

12 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Actually the Browns went 11-6 last season. 

If you were anything but a troll nowadays, you might have actually noticed and enjoyed it.

But hey, keep making the same pink font joke for the millionth time. 

Hey it's Regina George doing what she does best! You know, quoting other people's posts and then attacking them for their opinions all while pretending to be some kind of Browns Board police

I'm too busy these days to log onto this site like I once did, but when I do I want to settle down and read a few threads but there you are, on every single one of them making fun of other members' comments with very little else to add.

Whilst my pink font jokes may have gotten old, your endless snark and constant personal attacks of other members and their opinions makes being a part of this forum absolutely no fun. 

Maybe try less meat for a week or two to see if that will help your obvious constipation.🤣 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

I don't think I've given you any shit whatsoever for skill with metrics. I still don't understand why my liking Baker (or Joe Namath or Brian Sipe or Kenny Stabler or Joe Pendleton Etc) pisses some of these guys off so badly.

Anyway on a scale of 1 to 10 one being the best, how do you rate the Watson trade according to the numbers over the last few years?

WSS

You're welcomed to like Baker. I like Baker and wish him no ill will.  The last home game of his rookie season, I was there, freezing my ass off with the old man, both of us chanting "Ba-ker" with 50k other people.  I appreciate his contributions to this team.  

Nobody is pissed off at anyone for liking him.  It's the constant reminders, in multiple ways, that he's gone and that the Browns have somehow lost a savior.  Even more so to the point you have "fans" actively hoping we lose or revel in losses just to 'prove a point'.     THAT, is both whiny and intolerable.

I can one-up your scale. Watson's 2020 season was fantastic and the result of him building off a promising 2018 and a stronger 2019. But I've said before, It is, now not or then, a trade I would have made.  The money only concerns me from a salary cap perspective.    The largest issue(s), and the one that would have held me back were I Jimmy Haslam, was the draft capital surrendered.  It was just too steep.   Then the firm 'no' from Watson's camp to begin with was the cherry on top. 

I get 'why' they did it.  You haven't drafted and developed an elite QB in 25 years. So you took the biggest gamble trying to secure one who showed that level of promise.  The downside?  It's a gamble done by a snake bitten franchise.   Which means it's an all or nothing investment, one that usually ties the career of it to the GM that pulled the trigger. 

The only saving grace for Berry is that this team has been a breath away from a wild card berth and made another just this past season.   Remains to be seen if that's enough success to maintain the goodwill towards his personnel moves, should Watson have a down year and the team move on.  

5 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Even more so to the point you have "fans" actively hoping we lose or revel in losses just to 'prove a point'.     THAT, is both whiny and intolerable.

sorry, Shirley, but nobody really does that. Grow up someday, girl.

11 hours ago, Flugel said:

Welcome to Cleveland!  Bringing up a QB controversy implies you're confident in Watson?  Actions speaking louder than words shows you worrying his critics are right.  

Sorry man, I pretty much stopped reading there and know you put some work in to response.

You ignored my point.  You know, I assume you do, there are many people seeking to find anything wrong with Watson and will jump at the chance to just rip the guy.  Heck, many will not be satisfied with anything he does as QB..

Using your logic, it sounds like you are wanting the back-up to play and don't like the selection.

18 minutes ago, ballpeen said:

You ignored my point.  You know, I assume you do, there are many people seeking to find anything wrong with Watson and will jump at the chance to just rip the guy.  Heck, many will not be satisfied with anything he does as QB..

Using your logic, it sounds like you are wanting the back-up to play and don't like the selection.

The Brownies would have been better served, from a talent development standpoint, in trading low draft capital for Fields and sitting him behind Watson.  This is both a smart move in terms of keeping roster churning, but also any potential long term contingency plan.    That's where Flugs is right.

Every Buckeye and their mother, shouting about Watson getting off the field the moment he throws a single interception, while the cheers rain down for Fields, is another reality you are absolutely correct about as well.     One, I'd reckon, is the biggest reason a trade for Justin wasn't explored further by the front office.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ballpeen said:

Do you see how often I argue with Watson's critics all year round in here?  Where in those actions shows me wanting a back-up to play QB instead of the QB (Watson) I was excited we went after?   How many times have I typed I wanted us to DRAFT Watson when we could have. 

My 3 concerns that I touched on starting are as follows: #1) we have Wills protecting the blind side of Watson (which means it isn't a question of IF he lets Watson get planted on the throwing shoulder again but WHEN he allows it); 2) I don't know if the bone Watson broke behind the right shoulder ball and socket is going to be sturdy enough to withstand the trauma of any violent collisions that may plant him on it.  I can only hope it is but that won't stop me from worrying.  If it isn't - we're really going to hear from his critics especially if it's career ending; 3) Because of those 2 things - I complained about not even inquiring with Chicago about Fields because he's young, only costs a 6th round pick and a salary of 3.22 million in comparison to what we're paying Jameis.  He's also a lot more mobile than Jameis. Your beef with me (and you're not alone with it) is if we had Fields and he had to play - you think me and others would prefer him to Watson.  If given the choice of both guys at their best - I'd take Watson any day. The reason the backup QB position is getting way more attention this off-season than last off-season is because of the uncertainty of Watson's shoulder and if it'll be durable.  My favorite just in case is Justin Fields for this situation. We didn't root against Flacco last year when he heated up to help the Browns finish strong enough to win 11 games.  Nobody was worrying about Watson's feelings.  Watson is 8-4 in games he started so that's what keeps the Browns fans happy. I'm with you - I just wanted my perceived better bang for the buck backing up Watson.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

The Brownies would have been better served, from a talent development standpoint, in trading low draft capital for Fields and sitting him behind Watson.  This is both a smart move in terms of keeping roster churning, but also any potential long term contingency plan.    That's where Flugs is right.

Every Buckeye and their mother, shouting about Watson getting off the field the moment he throws a single interception, while the cheers rain down for Fields, is another reality you are absolutely correct about as well.     One, I'd reckon, is the biggest reason a trade for Justin wasn't explored further by the front office.

And the reason why.

I've never said Winston was the best choice.  Simply the only choice, which becomes the best choice.

This team, with a good D doesn't need to be conducting a battle of the bands, so to speak.

• Upvote 1