THE BROWNS BOARD

Take Tim Couch out and put in Derek Anderson

Guest ATENEARS

Good discussion here today all ... just minor bickering but for the most part we've all came together knowing our common goal is to insert some talent into this team.

The DA & BQ sides are zero'ing in on a common goal and it might be for bad reasons (poor play from both), but after all we went through last week as a Browns Family on here, this is good stuff.

"Uncle Lums, light the grill, I think it's time to for the picnik!"

As always...thanks for keeping the doors OPEN.

Bermeck (always good to suck up to a MOD/ADMIN...you never know when your going to go "postal")

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Greythan Math? this is not about math but job and career decisions.... More about personal risk assessment..

IF he think the two are close in practice scenarios than he would be a fool not to default toward quinn because there is no inherent risk to his own job. Howeve IF he picked DA all of the risk of that decision would sit solely without any recourse on him

The Mob would not turn on Mangini IF DA did better after he was inserted..

The reasoning would be the same.... We did not know what the first round draft pick had and Mangini Wisely wanted to see so he could chart a direction.... He would not be crucified for that only IF he play DA as the starter over Quinn immediately because of the What if scenario on Quinn.... The same fans would be screaming about having to see what the first rounder was media hyped and draft status was supposed to be.

Sorry, but fans will go mob with the following:

1. How could you not see DA was so much better than Quinn in practice/camp? He's a freakin NFL coach and he couldn't see that.

2. We just wasted and lost games because Mangini couldn't see how much better DA was than Quinn.

There was zero win/win for Mangini in this scenario other than if both don't pan out to be legit NFL starters. Because that is the only place where Mangini can throw his hands up and go not my guys.

So Sev you make my point yourself: there's no way Mangini starts Quinn unless they were at least "close". What does that say about DA based on your blasting of mr. noodle arm?

Face it, there's very little evidence based on professional talent evaluators (GM's and coaches) that would indicate DA is the solution.

To be fair, I'm all for giving Quinn one more start for continuity's sake.

But if it is Charlie Quinn again, I'm ready to pull the plug on him for now, for the main reason being that I'm not ready to concede the season.

If we wait until we are 0-8, then what is the use us going to Anderson then?

Mangini himself said the competition was "very close" and if CQ can't get things going in three starts then I think you have to give the bigger-armed, quicker-release guy a shot, hope that he has cleaned up some of his inconsistencies and that the team will rally around him not unlike 07 and give us some hope for the rest of the year.

I see a lot of people have written off the season already, I'm not one of them. Quinn needs to get us untracked this week or we need to go to Anderson to get things rolling. If he does no better and we are 0-8 anyway, then, sure play Quinn the last 8 games, I don't care, at that point you are just evaluating for 2010.

Zombo

IF DA gets in there the season is already conceded. We already know he CAN'T perform under pressure or if the playoffs are on the line.

IF DA gets in there the season is already conceded. We already know he CAN'T perform under pressure or if the playoffs are on the line.

and you think we're going to the playoffs? or have any pressure games? the season is conceded now, so i'd ask for a better excuse.

Guest ATENEARS

Thank-god the playoffs were on the line. After that first half of Game #1 in 2007, the season was as lost as it is today after Game #2.

To be able to point to the blocked field goal in Oakland or the 4-INT's when we decided to try and fool'em by passing in high winds in Cincy, or a last second ruling that Winslow was not-in in Arizona ... was exciting to say the least. Kind of like hanging onto the edge of your seat and eager to see one of our Receivers attempt to break 3-4 tackles on 3rd-n-7 for the first down yesterday.

and you think we're going to the playoffs? or have any pressure games? the season is conceded now, so i'd ask for a better excuse.

Did I say that? Learn reading comprehension. The point is that DA isn't going to get this team much better either. Will Quinn get better? I have no idea. But I do know that not all QBs break out at the same pace. Once more, Drew Brees, Eli Manning, and Troy Aikman are perfect examples of that. At some point there has to be some patience to find out. IMO playing DA means the season is already over so they might as well spend the time to find out if Quinn will figure it out. Otherwise its time for a new QB because then neither one on the team will be the answer.

Thank-god the playoffs were on the line. After that first half of Game #1 in 2007, the season was as lost as it is today after Game #2.

To be able to point to the blocked field goal in Oakland or the 4-INT's when we decided to try and fool'em by passing in high winds in Cincy, or a last second ruling that Winslow was not-in in Arizona ... was exciting to say the least. Kind of like hanging onto the edge of your seat and eager to see one of our Receivers attempt to break 3-4 tackles on 3rd-n-7 for the first down yesterday.

Yeah, exciting watching DA perform as usual under pressure and kill all hope for the fans. Yeah, exciting watching the team be on the outside once again. You know, for now, will all the problems this team appears to have, I'll put up with boring to find out if Quinn is or isn't the QB for the future than to go with exciting but heartbreaking with the guy we know ISN'T the future. Because if Quinn ain't it then its time to play lottery all over again and shell over big bucks for another unknown.

I will post this again.

I do not think that BQ has had any 4 interception games but then again I don't think BQ has had any 5 TD games either (since only 3 in 5 starts). DA had 2 multiple interception games in 2008 and 2 multiple TD games also and even though he had a horrible year he still threw more TDs than Interceptions. In 2007 DA had 4 multiple interception games and 10 multiple TD games. In 2006 he had 2 multiple TD games and 2 multiple Interception games. So in 31 total games DA has had 14 multiple TD games and 8 multiple Interception games. 23 games where he has thrown a TD and 21 games where he has thrown and Interception. So if DA throws a TD (74%) then he is 61% likely to throw 2 or more TDs and in games where DA throws a interception(68% of time) he is only 38% likely to have multiple interceptions.

BQ has throw a TD in 2 of his 5 starts (40%) and is likely to throw multiple TDs in half of those games (which equates to 20%) and he has thrown interceptions in 3 of his 5 starts (60%) and multiple interceptions in one of those games (also 20%).

That means that BQ throws an interception in 60% of his starts and DA throws interceptions in 68% of his. Not a real huge difference. Where as DA will throw a TD 74% of the time and BQ will throw a TD 40% of the time. DA will throw multiple TDs 45% of the time and BQ will throw multiple TDs 20% of the time. BQ will throw multiple interceptions 17% of the time and DA will throw multiple INTS 26% of the time.

I do not think that BQ has shown anything that would make me think that throwing a few less interceptions is worth throwing almost half as many TDs. And even in the last 18 games where DA has "Sucked" he does have a 9 - 9 record. BQ is now 1 - 4 and Baltimore will be very tough.

With that said I still say stay with BQ 10 games, only reason I would bench him is to save the 11 million bonus to invest in FA's next season. You realy do need to make sure BQ is not the answer because next years draft depends on what you think.

greythan the evidence about DA is in 10 wins, best franchise home record all time and 29tds 3700 yards in a season saddled with a terrible offense.

the 2008 season we everyone was banged up and our skill players lost their minds along with wierd offensive playcalling. The evidence is there that it is POSSIBLE that DA who from a 6th round practice squad guy held off a much wanted first rounder.....

Do I think DA is the absolute answer? NO but from the evidence of quinns last 4 starts he stagnates the offense and I would rather have a hot cold interception prone YOUNG gun slinger who at least can ignite the offense.

DA is young and can develop the same as quinn, however he has an NFL arm where quinn does not.

It really does not matter I think if BQ leads the teams offense to the same mediocrity for 2-3 more games a change will definately be coming. IF he lights it up or shows progress than he will probably be safe until the bye week if not the season. The next 2 games are crucial for his career and our teams direction this year and next.

We play the ravens which for quinn is more bad news and he might have a chance against Cinci...(they look improved and dangerous) and then Pittsburgh.... He would be possibly 1-4 at the best case 0-5 most likely. combine that with last year he might end up 1-7 for his first 8 games.

greythan the evidence about DA is in 10 wins, best franchise home record all time and 29tds 3700 yards in a season saddled with a terrible offense.

Huh?

the 2008 season we everyone was banged up and our skill players lost their minds along with wierd offensive playcalling. The evidence is there that it is POSSIBLE that DA who from a 6th round practice squad guy held off a much wanted first rounder.....

How was the 2008 environment different from the 2009? We don't have the same level of skill players from last year. Offensive playcalling could be coined "weird" this year too.

DA didn't hold off the first rounder. He actually was benched last year midseason giving way to the first rounder. He came back in after the first rounder was injured, got injured himself and promptly lost the job again to the first rounder in training camp this year.

Do I think DA is the absolute answer? NO but from the evidence of quinns last 4 starts he stagnates the offense and I would rather have a hot cold interception prone YOUNG gun slinger who at least can ignite the offense.

Yup, four games is certainly enough to draw conclusions. You got me there. I'm wondering why you didn't use his entire body of five starts?

DA is young and can develop the same as quinn, however he has an NFL arm where quinn does not.

What evidence might you offer that a QB with four years of league experience and nearly 30 starts has the same developmental runway as a QB with four starts? Who knows what their respective ceilings are, but asserting that their potential for development is the same when there is a chasm of difference in NFL experience is assinine.

Also, show me the evidence that Quinn doesn't have an NFL arm. I have yet to see an effective arm strength argument. Accuracy? Yup, I've heard that one. Results? Yup, he's laid two eggs so far this year. Arm strength? He throws a ball as hard as Brees I'm sure.

It really does not matter I think if BQ leads the teams offense to the same mediocrity for 2-3 more games a change will definately be coming. IF he lights it up or shows progress than he will probably be safe until the bye week if not the season. The next 2 games are crucial for his career and our teams direction this year and next.

I think you are being generous with mediocrity. Quinn's been worse than that.

I don't know if its a two game leash or not. I think Quinn would have to seriously out-stink his teammates to get benched after the Cincy game. Again, there's been no running game which is often quoted as why DA struggled in 06/08 and also credited as part of his success during 07.

We play the ravens which for quinn is more bad news and he might have a chance against Cinci...(they look improved and dangerous) and then Pittsburgh.... He would be possibly 1-4 at the best case 0-5 most likely. combine that with last year he might end up 1-7 for his first 8 games.

Agreed, the schedule isn't friendly. We really left a possible win out there this past Sunday.

Did I say that? Learn reading comprehension.

you did....why insinuate that its important that DA can't perform in the situations then? we suck huge, then why does any of that matter?

better yet, just learn to not suck at the internet, and post your point straight away rather than use some bullshit excuse to try and save your boyfriends face.

Again, don't want to start shit. The defense ain't going to stop the Bronco's now anyhow, but Brady Quinn hasn't been able to do shit except throw the ball 3-4 yards shy of the sticks on 3rd and long.

We are getting buried in the division, there is plenty of time to play Brady, Anderson, Ratliff, Tim Couch, Spergun Wynn, or any other.

Just go to a fresher guy, for the sake of finishing off this bullshit Bellichick style.

Wait, I may be on to something ... punt on 3rd down so I don't have to sit through another dink-n-dunk under the sticks.

Just think, last year after the first 2 weeks we only had 16 points on the board via body by Dumb Ass. Trust me, I saw it without the jello shots.

BTW, did anyone see that courageous head first dive by Quinn chasing after that atrocious snap? That kid's got balls the size of grapefruits they just don't grow out in Oregon.

- Tom F.

Guest ATENEARS
Just think, last year after the first 2 weeks we only had 16 points on the board via body by Dumb Ass. Trust me, I saw it without the jello shots.

And this year? Are you really going to count Cribbs TD return, and points off of the short field on the opening onside kick attempt, and the opening kick-off fumble? If not, it's 13-points with a healthy team ... six while fans were actually still left in the stadium and the concessions were still open.

BTW, did anyone see that courageous head first dive by Quinn chasing after that atrocious snap? That kid's got balls the size of grapefruits they just don't grow out in Oregon.

- Tom F.

Ahh ... I seen that dive before, it came it week one while recovering a backward pass.

Maybe this week he can master Roger Dangerfield's triple Lindy!

- Tom F.

Hmmm...not saying it was his fault, but if he was playing like the infielders i coached over the years he would be expecting a bad bounce.

Seemed unathletic to me.

It did bounce back at him.

Not blaming him though,,,it wasn't a perfect snap.

Does anyone have ESPN insider access ?

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/ru...ures/rumors#TOP

Todays headlines in that page are:

Dolphins' defensive focus on MNF

12:47

PM ET

Miami Dolphins Top Email

Team hopes to neutralize one aspect of Colts offense.

Subscribe to Insider for as low as $2.50/month to access the complete rumor

Super Mario powers up?

12:42

PM ET

Mario Manningham | Giants Top Email

Mushrooms likely not the cause of WR's breakout.

Romo feeling the heat?

12:37

PM ET

Tony Romo | Cowboys Top Email

Cowboys QB under great pressure to win.

Quinn's job in trouble?

12:33

PM ET

Brady Quinn | Browns Top Email

QB is 0-2 in 2009 as starter.

First word on Barber

you did....why insinuate that its important that DA can't perform in the situations then? we suck huge, then why does any of that matter?

better yet, just learn to not suck at the internet, and post your point straight away rather than use some bullshit excuse to try and save your boyfriends face.

LOL...whatever dude. I wasn't using any bullshit excuse for anything. Its a PROVEN FACT that DA sucks under pressure, he did in 2007 and he did again in 2008. But go ahead and read more into it asswipe, maybe when you remove your boyfriend's tool from your mouth you can see what's posted just a bit better.

Huh? My nine year old can snap the shotgun better than that.

That was probably one of the worst shotgun snaps I've ever seen. Looked like my trying to hit a chip shot and getting it a little fat.

I swear at first I thought you said "chin shot."

And this year? Are you really going to count Cribbs TD return, and points off of the short field on the opening onside kick attempt, and the opening kick-off fumble? If not, it's 13-points with a healthy team ... six while fans were actually still left in the stadium and the concessions were still open.

Ahh ... I seen that dive before, it came it week one while recovering a backward pass.

Maybe this week he can master Roger Dangerfield's triple Lindy!

So you ONLY want to count kick returns when Dumb Ass starts? Like I said, last year at this time we had 16 points to our name when you informed us you didn't want to hear any whining about the QB. And in our 3rd game - DA treated us to 10 points. It was so wonderful, Loverboy had Casey Casem dedicating Frankie Valley's "My Eyes Adored You" to DA on the top 40 countdown.

- Tom F.

So you ONLY want to count kick returns when Dumb Ass starts? Like I said, last year at this time we had 16 points to our name when you informed us you didn't want to hear any whining about the QB. And in our 3rd game - DA treated us to 10 points. It was so wonderful, Loverboy had Casey Casem dedicating Frankie Valley's "My Eyes Adored You" to DA on the top 40 countdown.

- Tom F.

Flugs I love your line of thinking, but I think a more suitable song would be this.

The flat out bitchin REO SPEEDWAGON with 'KEEP ON LOVING YOU'

You shouldve seen by the look in my eyes, baby

There was somethin missin

You shouldve known by the tone of my voice, maybe

But you didnt listen

You played dead

But you never bled

Instead you lay still in the grass

All coiled up and hissin

And though I know all about those men

Still I dont remember

Cause it was us baby, way before then